Latest PSU headlines:

Master Guru

Microsoft Envisions Where Gaming is going, and it's Wild! ( Patent )

Microsoft Envisions Where Gaming is going, and it's Wild!

While we've all read about Microsoft's next generation Xbox 720 gaming console coming to market in 2013, a recent Microsoft patent application reveals what Microsoft envisions for gaming beyond that point. On the drawing board is Microsoft's next generation immersive gaming environment – which is simply wild! This could really be a hit with die-hard gamers and with a little imagination you quickly realize just how cool this could be. First there was the Xbox, and then came Kinect and now the next great thing in gaming from Microsoft is on its way and we detail it all in our report.

Microsoft's Patent Background

User enjoyment of video games and related media experiences can be increased by making the gaming experience more realistic. Previous attempts to make the experience more realistic have included switching from two-dimensional to three-dimensional animation techniques, increasing the resolution of game graphics, producing improved sound effects, and creating more natural game controllers.

So where will Microsoft take gaming in the future? According to a recent patent application filing, Microsoft envisions a totally immersive experience: Specifically, the patent states that "An immersive display environment is provided to a human user by projecting a peripheral image onto environmental surfaces around the user. The peripheral images serve as an extension to a primary image displayed on a primary display."

Microsoft's Future Immersive Gaming System

Microsoft's patent FIG. 1 shown below schematically shows an embodiment of a display environment (100). The display environment is depicted as a room configured for leisure and social activities in a user's home. In the example shown in FIG. 1, the display environment includes furniture and walls, though it will be understood that various decorative elements and architectural fixtures not shown in FIG. 1 may also be present.

As shown in Microsoft's patent FIG. 1, a user (102) is playing a video game using an interactive computing system (110) (such as the Xbox gaming console) that outputs a primary image to the user's HDTV (104) and projects a peripheral image on environmental surfaces (e.g., walls, furniture, etc.) within the display environment via environmental display 116.

In the gaming scenario shown in FIG. 1, the user is playing a first person shooter video game and is focused on the primary images of the game that are shown on their TV. Connected to a future version of Microsoft's Xbox is the environmental display which is shown to be sitting on top of the television. It will be configured to display a peripheral image on environmental surfaces.

The peripheral image appearing on the user's wall will be configured to appear to be as an extension of the primary image that is shown on their TV. As a user perceives the peripheral image with the user's peripheral vision, the user may be situationally aware of images and objects in the peripheral vision while being focused on the primary image.

In the example shown in patent FIG. 1, we see that the user is focused on the gameplay on his TV but may be aware of an approaching video game enemy from the user's perception of the peripheral image displayed on his back wall. In some embodiments, the peripheral image is configured so that, to a user, the peripheral image appears to surround the user when projected by the environmental display. Thus, in the context of the gaming scenario shown in FIG. 1, the user may turn around and observe an enemy sneaking up from behind.

In the embodiment shown in FIG. 1, the environmental display is a wide-angle RGB projection display device configured to project a peripheral image in a 360-degree field around the environmental display.

Immersive 3D Environments

Microsoft states that while the example primary display and environmental display shown in FIG. 1 includes 2-D display devices, "it will be appreciated that suitable 3-D displays may be used without departing from the scope of the invention." Furthermore, Microsoft states that in some embodiments, "the user may enjoy an immersive 3-D experience using suitable headgear, such as active shutter glasses configured to operate in synchronization with suitable alternate-frame image sequencing at primary display and environmental display."

The patent filing goes on to state that in some embodiments, immersive 3-D experiences may be provided with suitable complementary color glasses used to view suitable stereographic images displayed by the primary and environmental displays.

In some embodiments, the user may enjoy an immersive 3-D display experience without using headgear. For example, the primary TV display may be equipped with suitable parallax barriers or lenticular lenses to provide an autostereoscopic display while the environmental display renders parallax views of the peripheral image in suitably quick succession to accomplish a 3-D display of the peripheral image via "wiggle" stereoscopy.

The System's Depth Camera

Microsoft notes that a future version of their Xbox will be able to connect the environmental display which incorporates a depth camera (114) as we note below in our closeup graphic. The depth camera is configured to generate three-dimensional depth information for the total display environment such as the user's four walls.

According to Microsoft, the depth camera may be configured as a time-of-flight camera configured to determine spatial distance information by calculating the difference between launch and capture times for emitted and reflected light pulses. Alternatively, in some embodiments, Microsoft states that thedepth camera
    may include a three-dimensional scanner configured to collect reflected structured light, such as light patterns emitted by a MEMS laser or infrared light patterns projected by an LCD, LCOS, or DLP projector.

http://www.patentlyapple.com/patentl...-its-wild.html
    Last edited by Metal King Slime; 09-10-2012 at 05:33.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    That's pretty cool. It will be interesting to see if this ever sees the light of day but the idea is novel.

Soldier 95B
    Jesus, I would be a walking $#@! if this came true.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Items NintendoFirefox LogoPSN LogoWii BlackPaper MarioWiiUGran Turismo 53DSPS3 Slim
    Intriguing to say the least

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    RaYU84
    Items Dr. DreDragon Ball Z3DSPS3 SlimNintendo 64TOOLPink FloydAC/DCFuturamaMetallica
    Hmm. Pretty cool. Let's see if they are still looking at this in 10 years.
    Thanks to THUGGEDOUT for the sig, The Black Wolf for the av.
    Life's too short to be sober! Drunk with power!

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    guess ppl will have to be fit to play call of duty in the future

Superior Member

I would much rather have VR. I mean you need a totally blank room correct? My wife isn't going to go for that lol. I like emersive gameplay but that looks a bit much.

Forum Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Sounds like some sort of holodeck stuff. I hope they can pull it off.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-stance1 View Post
    Sounds like some sort of holodeck stuff. I hope they can pull it off.
    Reminds me of Aliens when Ripley is sitting in that room and has a rainforest projected on to the walls.

It's a cool idea, but as Mr Davin said, you'd need a bare room for it. Still, if this worked well, and you had a nice square gaming room, this would be $#@!ing amazing with the lights out, sitting in a lazy boy chair and playing whatever.

Soldier 95B
    Quote Originally Posted by davin_g View Post
    I would much rather have VR. I mean you need a totally blank room correct? My wife isn't going to go for that lol. I like emersive gameplay but that looks a bit much.
    I can't stand the VR idea, as I don't want anything on my head. Nor would I want 3D glasses. I like this idea much better. Not to mention, the room does NOT need to be blank.

Unbound Mercenary
    Looks really cool but I'm a controller man.
    Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.

Superior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Soldier 95B View Post
    I can't stand the VR idea, as I don't want anything on my head. Nor would I want 3D glasses. I like this idea much better. Not to mention, the room does NOT need to be blank.
    What I mean about VR is not just a headset but that can work....when you move your head the headset/glasses would sense it and feed you a 360 view. If they could do something like that without it feeling inhibitive I would much rather do that then feeding a visual inside a room....and you got my dog, wife, kids running through it...it just doesn't work for me. Heck if you get it Matrix style that would be my favorite...jack me in! lol I still would prefer VR in that you get stimulus through gloves or chest pack and the googles....when you get shot you feel pressure and when you shoot same with your hands...and so on...to me that is better than trying to invade a whole room with this.
    Last edited by davin_g; 09-13-2012 at 23:54.

Soldier 95B
    I have a wife, kid AND a dog, and they never run through my play area!

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    As cool as that looks and props for MS for this, but I don't want to have to hold my hand up like that when gaming. I don't want an exercise when I want to relax and game!

I still hope the traditional controller set up is not neglected.

Before the apologists try to come up with an excuse for this - I'm not saying anything against it - and I am also not a big Move guy either. Though I respect the technology behind it (same goes for this).

/beforeyouflameorargue

#IndieStation4 and proud of it.

Superior Member
    Have to take into account not everyone that are gamers live in big homes with big living rooms with space for that type of stuff. Also for the people who live in a top apartment, their downstairs neighbors wouldn't want to hear the constant shuffling of feet and weight especially if the people are more on the "heavy" side of things.
    Ride or die Sony(Playstation) supporter since 12/25/1997 Currently playing: Mass Effect 3, NBA 2K14, Tomba,Battlefield 4,Warframe, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows
    Holding down Turtle Power since 1991

Forum Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by Mo-green28 View Post
    Have to take into account not everyone that are gamers live in big homes with big living rooms with space for that type of stuff. Also for the people who live in a top apartment, their downstairs neighbors wouldn't want to hear the constant shuffling of feet and weight especially if the people are more on the "heavy" side of things.
    Those are pretty minuscule issues. If people bought kinect with its limited space, they will most likely bite on this too. Especially if it works as well as its described. I know I will.
    Last edited by Sub-stance1; 09-14-2012 at 05:26.

Thread Information