Latest PSU headlines:

Apprentice

Problem with 1TB HDD upgrade (WD10JPVT)

Hello!

I have tried many times to get some knowledge about the performance of this Western Digital HDD since I upgraded my hdd whit it. Specs can be found here:

http://wdc.com/global/products/specs...951&language=1

I used this hdd to upgrade my 60GB model. I did all the needed procedures: backup, hdd swapping, and restoration of back up, etc, and things got smooth.

Not much time passed (a day or two) after I did it, and the drive started to hang up at boot, and freeze with the use of some applications, like Netflix, and such troubles became very frequent. Sometimes the drive didnīt start and a message of "hdd was not found" showed up at startup.

Then I took the hdd and put it into a hdd case. Used some WD utilities and found out it had bad sectors and I couldnīt make the "Write zeros" option. The thing is I donīt know whether the bad sectors came in as a factory failure or they appear due to this hdd not being compatible with PS3.

I'd like to know if someone that has used this HDD has had similar problems or if its just me, and (probably) those problems are because a factory damage.

Any help or information will be greatly appreciated since they are scarce around the web.

Ultimate Veteran
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    If the hard dive is with 30 days get a new one something is wrong.
    I put in 2 Western digtal hard drives in both my ps3s and are fine you just got a dud

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Sounds to me like the console was switched off while the drive was busy.

Western Digital do a decent warranty program no recipts needed.

This uses the Serial number to check if its in warranty, if the serial number check is out of warranty then you need to provide a recipt of purchase which provesits in warranty.

https://westerndigital.secure.force....yCheck?lang=en

Replacement services.
    http://websupport.wdc.com/rdsfdc.asp...s=&ss=&lang=en
    Last edited by keefy; 09-13-2012 at 19:55.

This is a local shop for local people you have no business here!

Apprentice

Thank you both for your answers!!

I have sent the HDD to the distributor. He's suppose to take it to WD lab and see if it is defective...yeah it sucks... I'll have to wait.

I wonder if there is a compatibility problem with this particular model since this HDD is SATA3 and I don't know if it can be handled by the old phat ps3...sigh...hope it does...

Forum Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    Thank you both for your answers!!

I have sent the HDD to the distributor. He's suppose to take it to WD lab and see if it is defective...yeah it sucks... I'll have to wait.

I wonder if there is a compatibility problem with this particular model since this HDD is SATA3 and I don't know if it can be handled by the old phat ps3...sigh...hope it does...
    There is no reason why it shouldn't be compatible. All SATA3 drives will switch to SATA2 or SATA mode (as is the mode for the PS3) because they are backwards compatible. The bad sectors issue is probably a byproduct of damaged plates in the drive.

Master Guru
    You should be able to get a new one. That doesn't sound right at all.

Apprentice

Thanks for everyone, I really appreciate your answers and guidance. I'll keep you posted with any new may come. By now, Iīm still waiting for WD to answer to my distributor, so I'll have to wait.

Apprentice

Iīm back. I forgot to tell if maybe the problem I have, has to do with the used HDDīs model is advanced 4kb format sectors, in oposition to old 512b.

According to this forum: http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2191291 and particularly, post number 11, it says PS3 doesn't handle 4kb advanced format drives.

I hope is not the case.

Any answer will be appreciated once more!!

Thread Information