Latest PSU headlines:

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast
    Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Items NintendoFirefox LogoPSN LogoWii BlackPaper MarioWiiUGran Turismo 53DSPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    After the GC Nintendo themselves the Wii would sell the way it did.

Its. A video game console it plays video games that's all that matters love how people talk about tech specs and don't understand the business side of it.

Nintendo has been around for so long and done it all they know what they are doing...

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

PSU Technical Advisor
    Quote Originally Posted by DeviousOne View Post
    After the GC Nintendo themselves the Wii would sell the way it did.

Its. A video game console it plays video games that's all that matters love how people talk about tech specs and don't understand the business side of it.

Nintendo has been around for so long and done it all they know what they are doing...
    Technology is also part of the business side of it. Ignoring this facet is kind of perilous.

Leaps in technology allow game makers to really branch out and create new and better things. Sure, certain things are being done that can kind of break out new types of games.. Like Kinect, Wiimote and Sony Move. But by in large those first two technologies were limited by hardware. Kinect is mostly a novelty and is barely incorporated into mainstream 'blockbuster' titles, the Wii is no powerhouse and the Wiimotes need a little upgrade to boost their functionality enough to have the accuracy required for certain games.

There's a fine line and Nintendo has, quite routinely at this point, jumped over to the 'cheap' route. Sony went one way with the PS3 and Nintendo has been going the other.

Microsoft, imho, struck a pretty good common sense balance and they're doing wonderful for themselves.
    Last edited by Vulgotha; 09-13-2012 at 20:27.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    Nintendo isn't going to forsake its current mentality unless they get a rude awakening from a sales perspective.
    Which isn't going to happen it seems

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Items NintendoFirefox LogoPSN LogoWii BlackPaper MarioWiiUGran Turismo 53DSPS3 Slim
    With new tech more cost to nintendo and developers alike. The Wii U being more powerful than current gen is great now how behind they are when it comes to the next playstation and xbox we have yet to see.

When Nintendo had the best tech in Gen 5 and Gen 6 they didn't sell as well gen 7 they got back to what they do best gameplay and games. Why go back to a fight they know they won't win and lose money?

I like the tablet concept when it comes to terms of how its used for game play. We'll see how Wii U does I for one will be getting one.

Until we see what sony and ms come out with we won't know how behind nintendo is on the tech

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    RaYU84
    Items Dr. DreDragon Ball Z3DSPS3 SlimNintendo 64TOOLPink FloydAC/DCFuturamaMetallica
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulgotha View Post
    Technology is also part of the business side of it. Ignoring this facet is kind of perilous.

Leaps in technology allow game makers to really branch out and create new and better things. Sure, certain things are being done that can kind of break out new types of games.. Like Kinect, Wiimote and Sony Move. But by in large those first two technologies were limited by hardware. Kinect is mostly a novelty and is barely incorporated into mainstream 'blockbuster' titles, the Wii is no powerhouse and the Wiimotes need a little upgrade to boost their functionality enough to have the accuracy required for certain games.

There's a fine line and Nintendo has, quite routinely at this point, jumped over to the 'cheap' route. Sony went one way with the PS3 and Nintendo has been going the other.

Microsoft, imho, struck a pretty good common sense balance and they're doing wonderful for themselves.
    Another important side to the business, that people either seem to forget, or just completely ignore, is Sony and MS are huge corporations that have many other departments that bring them money/help them with the losses they take when launching a new console. Nintendo is strictly a video games company. They don't have that ability. Where you see them being cheap, others see as being smart. They can't keep up with trying to have the latest, expensive console.
    Thanks to THUGGEDOUT for the sig, The Black Wolf for the av.
    Life's too short to be sober! Drunk with power!

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    I do like the $349.99 premium price tag. Hurry up November 18th!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Lethal; 09-13-2012 at 21:24.

7. Likes RaY_210 likes this post
    Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Quote Originally Posted by Lethal_NFS View Post
    I do like the $349.99 premium price tag. Hurry up November 18th!!!!!!!!!!!
    $#@! yeah! Any info on how much the gamepad and pro controller cost? Ill need those as well but bundle for sure for me!

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

PSU Technical Advisor
    Quote Originally Posted by RaY_210 View Post
    Another important side to the business, that people either seem to forget, or just completely ignore, is Sony and MS are huge corporations that have many other departments that bring them money/help them with the losses they take when launching a new console. Nintendo is strictly a video games company. They don't have that ability. Where you see them being cheap, others see as being smart. They can't keep up with trying to have the latest, expensive console.

Abandoning previous ventures, Nintendo developed into a video game company, becoming one of the most influential in the industryand Japan's third most valuable listed company with a market value of overUS$ 85 billion.

In September 2000 Sony had a market capitalization of $100 billion; but by December 2011 it had plunged to $18 billion, reflecting falling prospects for Sony but also reflecting grossly inflated share prices of the 'dot.com' years.[50] Net worth, as measured by stockholder equity, has steadily grown from $17.9 billion in March 2002 to $35.6 billion through December 2011.
    tldr; "bull$#@!". I'm amazed people are making up excuses to justify why Nintendo sells outdated hardware at high premiums. I mean really?

They're worth far more than Sony is.
    Last edited by Vulgotha; 09-13-2012 at 21:41.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    $#@! yeah! Any info on how much the gamepad and pro controller cost? Ill need those as well but bundle for sure for me!
    I do not see those on the website yet.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    I don't see a bundled package at 349.99 as a premium price for new console with game and accessories that's going to provide a new game experience? Especially when u look at the pricing of consoles in this gen at the start with no games or accessories.

If your a graphic $#@! play on a PC...Graphics don't make gameplay every company has their gaming philosophy

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Quote Originally Posted by Lethal_NFS View Post
    I do not see those on the website yet.
    Damn I'm still at work I'm gonna see if I can track down that pricing. Bundle is a great deal with the charging dock and console with gamepad hold and nintendo land packed it. Gonna have some fun drinking nights at the house lol

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Super Elite

If the Wii was 3 Gamecubes + duct tape and the Wii U is 3 Wii's + duct tape then the Wii U is 9 gamecubes + duct tape.

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    RaYU84
    Items Dr. DreDragon Ball Z3DSPS3 SlimNintendo 64TOOLPink FloydAC/DCFuturamaMetallica

tldr; "bull$#@!". I'm amazed people are making up excuses to justify why Nintendo sells outdated hardware at high premiums. I mean really?

They're worth far more than Sony is.
    $300 for a console is a premium price? The extra $50 is really a game and some accessories, and a bigger memory card. Which, for me, is good enough. I don't need 500gb of storage. And I'm pretty sure Sony and MS's next console will be outdated by the time it releases lol

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    RaYU84
    Quote Originally Posted by Typical guy View Post
    If the Wii was 3 Gamecubes + duct tape and the Wii U is 3 Wii's + duct tape then the Wii U is 9 gamecubes + duct tape.
    Which makes it another cube! lol

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    The tablet controler costs $180 so basically the gamepad is more than half the cost of the hardware

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Quote Originally Posted by itachi73378 View Post
    The tablet controler costs $180 so basically the gamepad is more than half the cost of the hardware
    Curious where are you getting this price for the tablet?

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Curious where are you getting this price for the tablet?
    Here ya go

PSU Technical Advisor
    $300 for a console is a premium price? The extra $50 is really a game and some accessories, and a bigger memory card. Which, for me, is good enough. I don't need 500gb of storage. And I'm pretty sure Sony and MS's next console will be outdated by the time it releases lol
    Yea, but the WiiU is already over half a decade outdated from the get go. That's a damn big difference.

$300 for a "new!" console that is marginally more powerful than the bunch that hit the shelves some 5-6 years ago is not exciting.

And having to play with a big ass tablet that will probably be exceedingly expensive to replace if something happens to it (seems like it might be if what Itachi says is true..) does not strike me as 'amazing!' more of a liability and that thing does NOT look ergonomic. And isn't there a limitation to how many of those things can even be used on one WiiU? Like 2 or something? Or is it just one?

What am I buying for $300? I mean really I'd rather just stick with a 360 if we're going to be in that price range.

Superior catalog of games, superior online service (Nintendo's is... Practically nonexistent), actual hard drive space for all the e-commerce and DLC that happens these days, etc.

And if I break my controller, I can plop down like 20-50 for a replacement depending on the brand.

ストライク・ザ・ブラッド
    PSN ID
    xAkiRo
    Items YunaLuluBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-11-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XIII-2AtlusFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy V
    Nah I don't think it'll be 180 its just rough transition from yen to dollars it said the premium was going to cost 400 but we already know that its 350. So I'm assuming that tablet will cost I'd say 120-130 dollars.

PSN: xThAkIdJxYx Cod Psn:xxAkiRo
    ‎"It's not important to have a long life, the important thing is to have a happy life with your beloved ones"

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    In america we don't have the option of buying a gamepad alone at the moment since there won't be any games to utilize it with in the launch window.

I doubt in america we pay that much for it alone I'm sure NOA will bundle that $#@!. All the numbers you posted itchi are japan. We get special treatment in america lmao

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Extreme Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Completely Average View Post
    To PLAY video games? No.

But good luck playing a native 1080p video game with AA and all of the modern Shader 4.0 effects without at least 512MB just for frame buffering. That's the primary reason why current console games are usually limited to 720p or less native resolution, lack of video RAM.

1GB is no where near enough. Most modern PC games will use that in video memory alone if the resolution is 1080p.
    Right and that's because PCs are inefficient at using RAM.

Also, 12GB is too much for any PC (as far as gaming is concerned). Even with the 1080p and whatever else you wanna throw at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Completely Average View Post
    Yes it is. It's the exact same GDDR-5 RAM that is found on virtually every PC video card on the market right now.

You don't really think ATI went through the years of development and massive expense of creating a whole new GPU and memory management system just so the Wii U could use some fancy RAM that isn't compatible with anything else do you?

No, it's using a barely modified PC GPU, and PC video RAM to save on costs, just like MS has been using for two generations.
    I don't think he realized what he said there...I think what should've been said is that we can't compare RAM quantity across the platforms (PC<>Consoles) because that would make no sense.

One is a closed-box, one isn't. One is far efficient than the other.

Sony tried the unique RAM configuration with the PS3, and it did nothing but make the PS3 excessively expensive to produce, resulting in a launch price that was extremely high, years of financial losses...
    More importantly, it was the Blu-ray player that made it extremely expensive, not the console itself. Sony has been very efficient at keeping the costs down for what comes in the box.

...and never showing any benefit whatsoever in the games.
    "never showing any benefit whatsoever in the games" lol newb comment.

23. Likes Itachi likes this post
    Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    ^ All of that

Forum Guru
    So lets speculate:

Is the Memory 1 32mb eDRAM or is it reserved memory for the OS?
    Because if its the former then 1080p seems very likely
    32MB is eDRAM, there is also possibility that CPU, EDRAM and GPU reside within same die. (allowing both to use it.)
    EDIT: now we know that this is not true, edram is on GPU, although it seems that CPU does have access to it.

There is additional 1GB of ram reserved for OS and another operations. (it is possible that they will allow more memory for games later.)

Basically it looks improved x360 in many ways.
    Hoping for some improvements for GPU side, like ability for ROPs to write main memory, read / tex access to eDRAM.. etc.
    Last edited by jlippone; 10-11-2012 at 10:36.
    'no, no one in their sane mind uses OpenGL on PS3' - Repi
    'nope, PS3 uses a wonderful low-level API called libgcm' - Repi

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    RaYU84
    Yea, but the WiiU is already over half a decade outdated from the get go. That's a damn big difference.

$300 for a "new!" console that is marginally more powerful than the bunch that hit the shelves some 5-6 years ago is not exciting.

And having to play with a big ass tablet that will probably be exceedingly expensive to replace if something happens to it (seems like it might be if what Itachi says is true..) does not strike me as 'amazing!' more of a liability and that thing does NOT look ergonomic. And isn't there a limitation to how many of those things can even be used on one WiiU? Like 2 or something? Or is it just one?

What am I buying for $300? I mean really I'd rather just stick with a 360 if we're going to be in that price range.

Superior catalog of games, superior online service (Nintendo's is... Practically nonexistent), actual hard drive space for all the e-commerce and DLC that happens these days, etc.

And if I break my controller, I can plop down like 20-50 for a replacement depending on the brand.
    It all comes down to what one expects from their console. The tech from this gen is good enough for me. I love the (3)DS, so the extra screen is a welcome addition to console gaming for me. And even though the tech isn't the best, the controller isn't something that is available on the other consoles. And before you bring up the Vita, it's not the same thing. Yeah there will be some support for that, but it's not going to supported like a console designed for it. And jus an FYI, it supports two game pads ANSI believe its up to 4 Wiimotes. Which brings up another thing: it's fully backwards compatible with Wii games, so you have a great backlog there as well.

Extreme Poster
    It all comes down to what one expects from their console. The tech from this gen is good enough for me. I love the (3)DS, so the extra screen is a welcome addition to console gaming for me. And even though the tech isn't the best, the controller isn't something that is available on the other consoles. And before you bring up the Vita, it's not the same thing. Yeah there will be some support for that, but it's not going to supported like a console designed for it. And jus an FYI, it supports two game pads ANSI believe its up to 4 Wiimotes. Which brings up another thing: it's fully backwards compatible with Wii games, so you have a great backlog there as well.
    Yea, that all depends on how well the Wii U controller will play out. Honestly, it can go either way. It's an idea but it also comes with some obvious issues (i.e. seems bulky & inefficient).

It all depends on how that pans out.

Thread Information