Latest PSU headlines:

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 6
    Power Member
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I am no longer participating in these forums, I wish all of you on the PSU Forums the best for the future.

Ancient
    It would suggest the Wii U would benefit with GPU heavy games but suffer when it comes to CPU heavy games
    The extra ram will help it out put 1080p graphics with good AA, but it'll all go to pot if the game requires a lot of CPU usage
    I can see it being like the GCN where games made just for it will shine and a few others but some we'll be asking WTF happened here

@Vulgotha
    Its a 3 core Broadway
    I don't think it matters what the clockspeed is does it?
    Other then defining how less powerful the CPU is
    Sent via Codec
    Last edited by TGO; 09-18-2012 at 02:12.

"Xbox is about to become the next water cooler”

Power Member
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by TGO View Post
    It would suggest the Wii U would benefit with GPU heavy games but suffer when it comes to CPU heavy games
    The extra ram will help it out put 1080p graphics with good AA, but it'll all go to pot if the game requires a lot of CPU usage
    I can see it being like the GCN where games made just for it will shine and a few others but some we'll be asking WTF happened here

Sent via Codec
    Yup, except only Japanese developers are going to bother.
    Last edited by mynd; 09-18-2012 at 02:16.
    I am no longer participating in these forums, I wish all of you on the PSU Forums the best for the future.

PSU Technical Advisor
    That's game.

Power Member
    Items User name style
    This system is attractive in the same way as a 40 year old mother is attractive compared to her 50 year old friend.
    I'll wait for the hot 20 years olds.

They turn legal next year.

6. Likes Cybertox , Vulgotha likes this post
    PSU Technical Advisor
    My mind is blown on how pathetic the CPU is. I mean truly, this is a new low. They could atleast do consumers the courtesy of having a slightly more powerful CPU than the 360. You know, in keeping with the whole "Currentgen 1.5" thing.

Guess that was asking for too much.

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitey View Post
    It wouldnt make much sense for the next generation of consoles to not be much more powerful than the WiiU though, while remaining affordable, of course (no 599 lol). Being much more powerful than the WiiU will be something the other two will want consumers to acknowledge
    This is a very interesting point here, if the next consoles aren't much more powerful than the WiiU then expect one thing, the PC platform to exponentially grow beyond consoles. The PC's graphics and capabilities are historically slightly ahead of a console at release and after a few years is much further ahead. The problem here however is that if the specs aren't moved much at all then PC gaming will hit a very big boom.

You might think I'm crazy but think about it, you can get an HTPC sized PC that can easily outperform any current console, and now with what Valve are currently working on with their current "Big Picture" technology and of course there's many other things making PCs more friendly to work on from a distance, PCs really are now a true competitor to the console crowd whether any of you would want to believe it or not.

Technology doesn't stand still and having the WiiU stuck on an only DirectX 10.1 compatible GPU is IMHO quite detrimental. Many might say that graphics doesn't mean anything and to me it also holds true but honestly let's face it, it does. Assuming the next consoles aren't anywhere near close to the PC technology wise at launch then the large discrepancy between the power of them will be such a significance that developers will look more into PC gaming. Look what's happened in the last two years on the PC, it's hit a spike and it's getting steeper every month.

p.s. I might primarily be a PC gamer but I have over 30 different consoles so I do care in the direction things go ok.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Varsh View Post
    This is a very interesting point here, if the next consoles aren't much more powerful than the WiiU then expect one thing, the PC platform to exponentially grow beyond consoles. The PC's graphics and capabilities are historically slightly ahead of a console at release and after a few years is much further ahead. The problem here however is that if the specs aren't moved much at all then PC gaming will hit a very big boom.

You might think I'm crazy but think about it, you can get an HTPC sized PC that can easily outperform any current console, and now with what Valve are currently working on with their current "Big Picture" technology and of course there's many other things making PCs more friendly to work on from a distance, PCs really are now a true competitor to the console crowd whether any of you would want to believe it or not.

Technology doesn't stand still and having the WiiU stuck on an only DirectX 10.1 compatible GPU is IMHO quite detrimental. Many might say that graphics doesn't mean anything and to me it also holds true but honestly let's face it, it does. Assuming the next consoles aren't anywhere near close to the PC technology wise at launch then the large discrepancy between the power of them will be such a significance that developers will look more into PC gaming. Look what's happened in the last two years on the PC, it's hit a spike and it's getting steeper every month.

p.s. I might primarily be a PC gamer but I have over 30 different consoles so I do care in the direction things go ok.
    I don't think that will happen. The hardware is there but for most devs there is not enough profit in PC gaming to make an exclusive that properly takes advantage of PC hardware. It makes business sense to make a game with consoles in mind and multi-platform it, this has been holding PC games back in terms of tech since 2006.

Supreme Veteran
    Love the size of this thing.

Gaming on all platforms right now.

Power Member
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Varsh View Post
    This is a very interesting point here, if the next consoles aren't much more powerful than the WiiU then expect one thing, /snip
    Well they will be, MS has already shown their hand with that leaked document, and the rumors we had heard before that document already talked about a 8 core CPU.
    Nothing we have heard suggests otherwise.

And that's still a good thing for PC gamers.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Items NintendoFirefox LogoPSN LogoWii BlackPaper MarioWiiUGran Turismo 53DSPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    Well they will be, MS has already shown their hand with that leaked document, and the rumors we had heard before that document already talked about a 8 core CPU.
    Nothing we have heard suggests otherwise.

And that's still a good thing for PC gamers.
    I wouldn't say MS showed their hand by everyone seeing leaked documents from 3 years ago. However MS and sony will be more powerful than the Wii U we just don't know how much more powerful they are going to be and with no FACTS or confirmation we'll just have to wait

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Super_Lilith View Post
    I don't think that will happen. The hardware is there but for most devs there is not enough profit in PC gaming to make an exclusive that properly takes advantage of PC hardware. It makes business sense to make a game with consoles in mind and multi-platform it, this has been holding PC games back in terms of tech since 2006.
    Sorry to say this but saying that the PC market isn't enough profit is rubbish. If you see games that don't profit well is because the PC receives the ports or has DRM spoonfed to the customer. Look what's happened with DRM Free games from GOG and even Steam games, the sales in the last two to three years have skyrocketed (in fact sales have been double that of all consoles put together, and that's without digital sales numbers!) and there's a lot of exclusives. If there wasn't much profit in PC game development then why is it that you have major studios still exclusively developing games for it?

If consoles were seriously under-powered by the time the next gen arrives then yes I can see consoles drastically losing profits and having hard times shifting units, afterall why develop on a console that can't do half of the calculations and look anywhere near as good for a similarly priced PC? Middleware on the PC can be used for rapid prototyping and even full game development for free! And no I'm not kidding even the Unreal Development Kit, Source, CryEngine, Unity, and hundreds of others are completely free to develop on, some only cost you a hundred quid per studio for a licence to sell the product and you then give a percentage of royalties back.

Very low cost, it'll run on practically every spec of PC, and it's a graphical powerhouse.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    GPU is a modified Radeon E6760
    Features & Benefits

GPU and memory in one MCM BGA package
    Desktop level graphics, multimedia and compute capabilities
    480 shader processors
    128-bit memory interface with 1 GB GDDR5
    Microsoft® DirectX® 11 support
    Third generation unified video decoder
    Support for H.264, VC-1, MPEG-2/4 decode
    Dual HD decode, Blu-ray & stereo 3D
    Up to 6 displays with AMD Eyefinity1 technology
    AMD Accelerated Parallel Processing (APP)2 technology for supercomputing capabilities
    5 year supply with dedicated support3
    Source
    For the non tech savvy people, this GPU is easily TWICE as fast as your xbox360 GPU
    Last edited by Itachi; 09-25-2012 at 19:57.

PSU Technical Advisor
    "Meh" for 2012 that's paltry. For another thing, why even bother with that kind of GPU when the CPU you're packing is behind even the Xbox 360? This thing has a more up-to-date GPU and twice the memory and an inferior CPU.

Mynd is probably right on this one. We'll see some 1080p games with some nicer effects or whatever and that will really be it.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    There hasn't been a single cpu bottlenecked game this gen and Wii U does better animation blending than the 360 already
    It would be really interesting to see how it keeps up with the next gen consoles.

PSU Technical Advisor
    Quote Originally Posted by itachi73378 View Post
    There hasn't been a single cpu bottlenecked game this gen and Wii U does better animation blending than the 360 already
    It would be really interesting to see how it keeps up with the next gen consoles.
    What? How can you say that with any level of authority?

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    The CPU bottleneck part? that's just a personal observation.
    All the problems we see in games today have to do with less VRAM or data streaming latency (texture resolutions and pop ins). Physics are now being done on gpus (Like nvidia Physx) and draw distances jcan be vastly improved with more RAM.

Keep in mind I'm talking about the very primary problems in games. Surely you can pick out CPU tasks that can be done better with more power but those are still fine compared to the sub par gpu stuff we see. Again, I may be way off with my observations here so don't quote me on anything

PSU Technical Advisor
    I don't disagree that memory has been the largest limiting factor- but that doesn't mean that the Wii U can "afford" to skimp out on the CPU. Now it is THE definitive limiting factor, and it is not insignificant. This is sub-present gen level CPU power here. Even though they doubled the RAM (and upgraded it to DDR5) and have a significantly enhanced GPU...

Your fleet is only as fast as your slowest ship.

Power Member
    Items User name style
    ROFL.
    Yes, they all are pretty much, not sure where you plucked that from.

GPU is a modified Radeon E6760

Source
    For the non tech savvy people, this GPU is easily TWICE as fast as your xbox360 GPU
    Thanks but no thanks.
    Its basically the same as the piss poor 6670 I have in my system
    It was the cheapest DX11 card I could find.
    As I said, wohoo or the 720p games rendered in 1080, thats it.

Anybody who tried to use DX11 on this will suffer.
    Last edited by mynd; 09-26-2012 at 04:34.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    GPU is a modified Radeon E6760 Source For the non tech savvy people, this GPU is easily TWICE as fast as your xbox360 and PS3 GPU
    Fixed it for you.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulgotha View Post
    I don't disagree that memory has been the largest limiting factor- but that doesn't mean that the Wii U can "afford" to skimp out on the CPU. Now it is THE definitive limiting factor, and it is not insignificant. This is sub-present gen level CPU power here. Even though they doubled the RAM (and upgraded it to DDR5) and have a significantly enhanced GPU...

Your fleet is only as fast as your slowest ship.
    There's no doubt that the weak CPU will bring the Wii U's downfall (if it hasn't already )
    I'm more interested in seeing how long the third party support lasts because when the 'real next gen' begins will all the devs take the time to downscale their projects on Wii U?
    Quote Originally Posted by radgamer420 View Post
    Fixed it for you.
    Xbox360 has a more powerful GPU than the ps3 so that went without saying

Thread Information