Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 3
    Superior Member
    Items YunaPlayStation
    None to this level, Bioshock and Borderlands are the ones that will leave a great memory

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    RaYU84
    Items Iron Maiden3DSBaby ChocoboDr. DreDragon Ball Z3DSPS3 SlimNintendo 64TOOLPink FloydAC/DCFuturama
    There's two ways to look at it. From a technical standpoint, being this huge epic game that it was: I would say, although it hasn't come out, The Last of Us could be that game. Everything about it looks like it'll blow everything that's out there right now out of the water.
    If you're looking at how it made Final Fantasy and the PlayStation brand (although I don't know how popular the PS was before this launched) a household name: Wii Sports would have to be that game. Everyone knows how that game started the Wii craze.
    Thanks to THUGGEDOUT for the sig, The Black Wolf for the av.
    Life's too short to be sober! Drunk with power!

Power Member
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Uncharted 2
    Alan Wake
    Gears 1
    MGS4

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    KungenMartiin
    ^They all got close, but not close enough (in my personal oppinion ofc) (:

The Dawkness!
    PSN ID
    ElNaxi
    It's hard to top a big change like going to 3D. As FonFahbre pointed about the big game last generation, GTA III went 3D.

My name isn't a misspelled Nazi,god****.

Elite Member

My favorite game this gen has been uncharted 2, but closest to FFVII this gen has to be Lair for the fact that fanboys could not accept any fault with it and went mental anytime something bad was said about it.

I could remember the $#@! all the reviewers got for giving it a low score and the media response really divided the community and spawned the "you can't trust this reviewer, they have been bought by m$" crap.

Dedicated Member
    Metal Gear Solid 4 (played this game 7 times the summer it came out and played the $#@! out of MGO... Loved this game)
    Mass Effect 3 ($#@! the haters! haha! Add ME2 to that since it built up all the relationships for the grand finale)
    Uncharted 2 (No explanation need really...)

There are plenty of other awesome games that I love, but those are consistently the top tier. I never played FF7... A friend gameshared it with me and I didn't feel like playing after the first battle. Really I'm not a fan of that type of game in general. I appreciate the great art style and generally good characters that Final Fantasy seems to have. Really some fantastic stuff, but not my kind of game.

I didn't really do much gaming worth talking about before this generation so yeah... You won't find me getting all nostalgic about a PS1 game or something (however MGS1 truly was a groundbreaking game for its time, and is still very fun today with a great story).
    Last edited by bigCman123; 09-18-2012 at 03:55.

Apprentice
    Wow, good question, OP. First, let me say that I am not a FF fan so I have yet to play FF7 (but own it as I've been begged to play it for a decade, lol. Bought it off of PSN so I do intend to play it) but I get the general notion of the question. Essentially, what game has been the biggest leap or produced the best bang for your buck "wow" factor.

Sadly, I have so many games from PS+ and so little time I have a back catalog of games I am yet to play so I haven't bought a new game in a while. This includes the almost universally loved Batman: AC. I have played no Assassins Creed games after hating the first one (but hear 2 through the latest were 1000x better so I will get them and AC3 looks LEGIT).

So, having missed out on so many titles the last 2 years leaves me with an older playbook. Still, here are a few games that "WOW'd" me this gen (and this has been my least favorite gen so far, btw):

1. The General Uncharted series - Sure, simple cover mechanic/puzzle solving shooter action adventure but it does it with such style and story telling that I would be lying if I didn't play U2 in absolute awe almost the entire way through. Also loved 1 & 3 but hoping they save 4 for the PS4 as 3 kind of just carried after 2 without much innovation.

2. MGS4 - Again, cliche' but so for a reason. The game was a masterpiece. I'm a grown man and I'd be lying if I said I didn't shed a single manly tear about 3 different times while playing. Going back to Shadow Moses and the MC hallway sections being very powerful.

3. Valkyria Chronicles - A game I waited a long time to play despite the glowing reviews. Finally found a new copy for $20 about 2 years after release and it is just amazing. So good that I grabbed the PSP version. A great blend of strategy, RPG and action. My kind of RPG as I held off of FF games as I just never liked the combat system and story lines while watching others being played.

4. GOW3 - Again, cliche'. Yet, such a good game. Enough said.

5. (last I'll mention) A few Sony shooters - Both Killzone games this gen were great and Resistance 1 & especially 3 were outright amazing. I'm shocked they didn't sell systems like Sony and any game loving sane person knows they should have. Resistance 3 with the Sony SS Headset is just gold.

PS....The HD remakes were a welcome addition but not fit to be an answer, IMO.

EDIT: I lied, lol. To not mention Journey and some of the other PSN/XBL only games would be a crime. Journey is a 3 hour game that I would not have been mad paying $60 for. I kid you not. Another game I must admit I shed a tear after beating. Just beautiful. Also, Braid and the likes. You know which I refer to, Im sure.
    Last edited by chumdiddy; 09-18-2012 at 05:02. Reason: Additions

9. Likes The Black Wolf likes this post
    Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Quote Originally Posted by chumdiddy View Post
    EDIT: I lied, lol. To not mention Journey and some of the other PSN/XBL only games would be a crime. Journey is a 3 hour game that I would not have been mad paying $60 for. I kid you not. Another game I must admit I shed a tear after beating. Just beautiful. Also, Braid and the likes. You know which I refer to, Im sure.
    If Journey was a full-length game, I think it would have been the easy answer for this thread.

Super Elite
    Well, let's see.

FFVII was met both with critical and commercial acclaim. It caused many to buy a console they otherwise wouldn't. It took a previously successful franchise and single-handedly launched it into stratospheric levels of success. This success spawned many follow-ups, some decent, some terrible, some great -- all of which are still contested. The game is looked back upon with favor by some, and disdain by others. Some claim it to be worthy of its success, while others say it is an overrated piece of $#@!. There is only one game this generation that meets all of these critera.

So without further ado, the FFVII of this generation: Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare.

Any other answer is wrong.

12. Likes RedOrb_Collector likes this post

Thread Information