Dedicated Member

PS4 and next xboxcould produce avatar like graphics

]Xbox 720, PS4 Graphics Could Get Close To Avatar's Quality, Says Geomerics
    Author: William Usherpublished: 2012-09-11 01:17:19

The new benchmark in visual fidelity is no longer Crysis. No, instead, across all forms of digital and cinematic media the benchmark is now James Cameron's 2009 live-action/animated blue-people movie, Avatar. With that said, AMD has already mentioned that the next gen Xbox could produce Avatar-like graphics and the co-founder of Geomerics has followed in AMD's footsteps claiming that lighting capabilities could hit that benchmark as well.

In a recent interview we conducted with Dr. Chris Doran the co-founder of Geomerics, a company responsible for middleware engine Enlighten – the same tools used to power the lighting mechanics in Frostbite 2.0 games such as Battlefield 3 and Need for Speed: The Run – Doran mentioned some interesting things about moving forward with light mechanics and scaling the software for next-gen hardware, saying...
    Enlighten already runs on current generation hardware. So you can imagine that on next generation hardware Enlighten runs without touching the sides! We have already proved this out in our GPU implementation, developed in collaboration with NVIDIA, which is an order of magnitude faster than current consoles.

By “touching the sides” he means that the software is already up to par and that now it's just a matter of waiting for the hardware to play a little bit of catch up with where the software development tools have already reached.

Doran goes on to talk about what we've all been wondering: how much more powerful will the next-gen consoles be and is the software capable of pushing the hardware to those Avatar-limits we keep hearing about? According to Dr. Doran, Enlighten is already on the mountaintop...
    “So then the question is: what can developers do with all this extra power? With Enlighten there are a number of ways we expect to see the quality bar lifted.

“Where the graphics quality bar will end up is unclear, but I am confident that the lighting itself could get close to Avatar quality. Then the question moves onto other aspects of content creation. Is that level of modeling detail feasible, and will the animation, physics, and AI all be equally plausible. And finally, will the game be any good!”

The last part is probably the most important part, especially considering that it wasn't too long ago that 2K Games head honcho Christoph Hartmann told GamesIndustry [via Destructoid] that photorealism was the next step in game design. Even though in reality, photorealism isn't really the thing that makes a game fun.

Lighting, when used creatively, like in scenarios for games like Deadlight or Limbo, can help bring the game to life in unique ways that can increase both immersion and intrigue.

Whether developers will actually take the creative route with tools such as Geomeric's Enlighten as opposed to simply hitting Avatar-quality graphic fidelity and relying on Michael Bay 'Splosions™ to sell the game is a whole other story. At least for now we know that the software and design technology is there.

You can check out the rest of the interview with Dr. Chris Doran right here.
    http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Xbo...ics-46763.html

Would be awsome if possible but then again benchmarks like these are always set before a new gen, I remeber someone claiming PS2 will be able to produce toy story 2 visuals before it's release.

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    MjW-
    Items VitaiPhone BlackGran Turismo 5PS3 FatTommy Vercetti3DS
    He actually only says that lighting in next gen consoles could get close to Avatar quality.

The rest of the graphics is doubtful.
    ~Corporate Media Propaganda - Welcome to your Daily Matrix~

3. Likes Omar, Fijiandoce, the_jim likes this post
    Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Just no.

5. Likes Omar, Fijiandoce likes this post
    Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    Quote Originally Posted by MjW View Post
    He actually only says that lighting in next gen consoles could get close to Avatar quality.

The rest of the graphics is doubtful.
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    Just no.
    enough said

this was posted (or something similar) a couple of months ago.

i said it in that thread and i'll say it here. it took thousands of processors hours to render a single frame. Avatar like graphics are a ways off.
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Veteran
    Way too much hype about super powerful engines and next gen consoles with amazing capabilities, I hope we're not in for a let down.

8. Likes D3seeker likes this post
    Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Items NintendoFirefox LogoPSN LogoWii BlackPaper MarioWiiUGran Turismo 53DSPS3 Slim
    Won't happen.... Its like this topic comes up every other month lol

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Master Guru
    Items Title StyleNew User TitleBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-13-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by daLa View Post
    Way too much hype about super powerful engines and next gen consoles with amazing capabilities, I hope we're not in for a let down.
    Matter of fact, we are.

Ultimate Veteran
    A home console these kinds of graphics wont happen for many years.....

Forum Guru
    Even Avatar used quite a lot of approximations for it's lighting so yes, something similar might be possible..

Seriously in terms of general quality, no not even close.
    'no, no one in their sane mind uses OpenGL on PS3' - Repi
    'nope, PS3 uses a wonderful low-level API called libgcm' - Repi

Forum Overseer
    First two posts of this thread is the reason why sometimes I don't read the entire article and just read the first few posts to get the jist of it.

Yea, sounds about right.

Master Guru
    Items Baby ChocoboPlayStationUser name style
    yea, no one should fall for this "avatar like graphics" hype. look back at all the consoles you have played and remember the hype that followed them before they released the consoles. When those older consoles released, they were nothing, not even close to the hype that was surrounding them. imo while the games were awesome, graphic wise the hype NEVER matched up. but if EA is excited for the PS4, then the PS4 must have some easy to use tech, maybe more like a computer then odd tech.

This is what I think will happen with the PS4...

the graphics will get a boost but it wont be a dramatic boost, but a good size graphical boost. At the same time I believe we will see more performance and games will be running at 60fps at native 1080p including multiplayer games and maybe even MMORPG's. the PS4 will also have this game for sure during it's release.

- PlanetSide 2

If anything, I expect the PS4 to have this level of graphics maybe with good performance as well.

to get the "JIST" of what level I'm talking about, watch this planetside 2 video.

this next video the guy is in spectator mode.

Last edited by Bigdoggy; 09-24-2012 at 16:48.

Forum Overseer
    ^Wow...I'm going back into PC gaming...

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    D3seeker
    Items PS3 Slim
    Avatar like graphics..... The amount of power and time it took to create Avatar itself, don't even.

Veteran
    Items Manchester United
    Haven't sony said this $#@! before? I distinctly remember reading loadsa $#@! like this when the ps2 was pre launch...'graphics like the t2 movie' or something along those lines...

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Veteran
    PSN ID
    SomaXD
    Items PhotoShopPhotoshopAssassins Creed EzioKillzone 3Guerrilla GamesNaughty DogRaidenNoctisiPhone BlackVitaDeath NoteFinal Fantasy VII
    Quote Originally Posted by jj03 View Post
    Haven't sony said this $#@! before? I distinctly remember reading loadsa $#@! like this when the ps2 was pre launch...'graphics like the t2 movie' or something along those lines...

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
    actually it was microsoft that officially claimed "toy story graphics" when hyping the first xbox.
    http://news.cnet.com/2100-1040-250632.html
    "One of the basic premises of the Xbox is to put the power in the hands of the artist," Blackley said, which is why Xbox developers "are achieving a level of visual detail you really get in 'Toy Story.'"
    Sony only stated ""The quality of the resulting screen image is comparable to movie-quality 3D graphics in real time."
    It was the media that used the T2/Jurassic Park/Toy Story bit.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=89876
    Vanik Tetsu'ya
    PS4 500GB//PS3 MGS4 80GB//PS3 120GB Slim//360 250GB Slim//360 4GB Slim w/Kinect//Black Wii 4.3u softmod//PS Vita w/32gb card

That Final Fantasy demo looks good enough for me. It literally looks prerendered.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    SomaXD
    Items PhotoShopPhotoshopAssassins Creed EzioKillzone 3Guerrilla GamesNaughty DogRaidenNoctisiPhone BlackVitaDeath NoteFinal Fantasy VII
    to be honest... id love to just see more games looking like Killzone 3... seriously, hand that engine to every sony dev and let em go nuts... 3rd person action adventure, RPG, can you imagine how awesome those would look using a decked out KZ3.5 engine? given the ps4 processing power whatever it may be... (which would allow for larger level design... damn that alone is exciting)
    Vanik Tetsu'ya
    PS4 500GB//PS3 MGS4 80GB//PS3 120GB Slim//360 250GB Slim//360 4GB Slim w/Kinect//Black Wii 4.3u softmod//PS Vita w/32gb card

This http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nv4Boq4HLKU&hd=1 will be the norm 2 years into the next gen imo! So i do expect the top of the crop to be comparable to graphics such as those seen in CGI movies, comparable in looks not in the way those graphics were achieved!

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    SHAZZMAZZ
    Items PS3 Slim
    I think the PS4 should have a avatar like in the play station home and a game picture of ur favourite characters in games like the ps3 profile avatar and a custom profile picture of what ever u want just like on this website i think it s a awesome idea. Xbox live has a custom avatar and a game picture in poor quality so i think the PS4 account profile should have a very high quality custom avatar and a gamer picture and a custom personal profile picture i would even pay for it
    Last edited by SHAZZMAZZ; 09-26-2012 at 17:10. Reason: missed spellng

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    It's all about "teh gfxx" these days isn't it?

They should focus more on interactive environment and worlds without having to serve a lowest common denominator limiting them. Which is why I wish both consoles lowest SKUs have ample drive space/capacity.

#IndieStation4 and proud of it.

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    D3seeker
    Items PS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by SHAZZMAZZ View Post
    I think the PS4 should have a avatar like in the play station home and a game picture of ur favourite characters in games like the ps3 profile avatar and a custom profile picture of what ever u want just like on this website i think it s a awesome idea. Xbox live has a custom avatar and a game picture in poor quality so i think the PS4 account profile should have a very high quality custom avatar and a gamer picture and a custom personal profile picture i would even pay for it
    Wrong use of 'avatar' my friend.

Sent from my TC970 (Wi-Fi) using Tapatalk 2

Avatar was raytraced for hundreds of thousands of hours worth of time. Now compare that to rendering a frame in a very small fraction of a second. Not even comparable. They only used the movie Avatar for the comparison because it is the absolutely biggest hyperbole you could possibly come up with. This puts PM to absolute shame.

Forum Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamao3013 View Post
    Avatar was raytraced for hundreds of thousands of hours worth of time. Now compare that to rendering a frame in a very small fraction of a second. Not even comparable. They only used the movie Avatar for the comparison because it is the absolutely biggest hyperbole you could possibly come up with. This puts PM to absolute shame.
    Actually Avatar was mostly rendered by using micro polygon rasterizer. (REYES)

They did use GPUs to ray-trace occlusion information as pre-computation for their image based lighting. (Using in-house tool named PantaRay).

Also I'm sure that accurate reflections etc, used tracing within prman.
    Last edited by jlippone; 10-02-2012 at 13:16. Reason: Added link for REYES

27. Likes Tamao3013 likes this post
    Awesome! For the longest time, I thought I was the only one who knew that movies aren't full raytrace! But what does micro polygon raster mean?

Forum Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamao3013 View Post
    Awesome! For the longest time, I thought I was the only one who knew that movies aren't full raytrace! But what does micro polygon raster mean?
    Added link for previous post.

Basic idea in REYES (Render Everything You Ever Saw) is to tesselate polygon/curve patch until each polygon is around 1 - 1/4 pixels in size. (called micropolygon)
    Then shading is performed on micropolygons and not on pixels. (This includes textures, displacement, lighting etc.)
    In end render the shaded grid of micropolygons, quite fast as the micropolygons are either flat or Gouraud shaded during actual rasterization.
    http://renderman.pixar.com/products/...nderman/2.html

There's some more additional information at Pixars site.
    http://graphics.pixar.com/library/

Here's nice list on movies using Pixars Renderman REYES renderer..
    http://renderman.pixar.com/products/...an/movies.html
    Last edited by jlippone; 10-03-2012 at 09:27.

Thread Information