Miqo'te Bard
    Items New User TitleProtect yourselfFull Metal AlchemistFangDark Souls CoverDemons Souls CoverBattlefield 3Title StyleUser name style

Kick starters. Good or bad?

So it seem more and more devs are doing kick starters for games. Many blow away the budget they need for game. So is this a good trend or a bad trend?

I say both. For small indie devs this is great way t get funds an get thier game made they can get name out thier.

The bad, big companies could abuse this. Obisidian has a kick starter and they are a fairly big company. This can be seen as just a company trying to save money. What about extra money devs get from kickstarters? Some have given it to charitys, but others may keep it and spend in on personal use like a vaction(what if statments).
    I have twitter to https://twitter.com/GamerYuichi , Also started youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMu7yRGCz8QrTyxaNVR3Tqw I don't always twitch, but when I can you can find my noobness http://www.twitch.tv/yuichimccry,

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Items NintendoFirefox LogoPSN LogoWii BlackPaper MarioWiiUGran Turismo 53DSPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I think its a great way to gauge interest from fan and people that may be interested in your game or product. For Us gamers it could provide more quailty games and make us feel more a part of the whole process.

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Ancient
    Not entirely sure, I mean I got a PS3 but most of the kick starters are for PC so...

Sent via Codec

"Xbox is about to become the next water cooler”

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    I fear that with iOS and small casual games taking the market by storm, more and more devs are abandoning high budget AAA projects. And because of that depressing thought I think Kickstarters are great because it allows for people like me, who are passionate about something, to vote with their wallets and make cool stuff happen.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Items NintendoFirefox LogoPSN LogoWii BlackPaper MarioWiiUGran Turismo 53DSPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by itachi73378 View Post
    I fear that with iOS and small casual games taking the market by storm, more and more devs are abandoning high budget AAA projects. And because of that depressing thought I think Kickstarters are great because it allows for people like me, who are passionate about something, to vote with their wallets and make cool stuff happen.
    I'm with you on this.

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

its good .................................

PSU Reviews Editor, Hit Series Creator
    PSN ID
    MelegantPrime
    Kickstarter will be great for the indie developers or the new developers just starting out. I also have to concur with what was also mentioned with gauging interest. It'd be pretty easy to set-up a kickstarter for an old school gem like Syndicate and ask people for $1 as a vote of interest if a new 'non-shooter' version was made.

Forum Sage
    I don't think it was fair to bring obsidian into this as all of their games they've made have been dictated by the share holders and higher ups and it's affected the end product in one way or another

Kickstarter gives freedom to the developer to make the exact game that they wanted to make without having to answer to anyone else but the fans. I think it's a excellent idea regardless of the companies standings. So it's great for small companies and also those that are fed up of not being able to create their vision.

BBK. Tapatalking.

i think it is fine for small indie games but for the larger market it is a horrible idea IMO. they have the money to develop the game, if its good enough they will make money, if not then they should have fixed it before the game released as that is not the customers fault

Veteran

PSN ID
    Cybertox
    I think its good cause it gives an opportunity for indie developers or for small companies.

Thread Information