Supreme Veteran
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Rumor: Half-Life 3 is open world, launching after 2013

About time we got something/anything regarding this game!

http://www.vg247.com/2012/09/20/half...r-2013-report/

Half-Life 3 is an open world shooter that will launch after 2013, a source close to Valve has allegedly revealed.

Speaking with Journaldugamer – by way of OXM – the source said that Half-Life 3 features saw a “total revision” following a “very chaotic” development schedule.

It was said to have been developed as a straight-up shooter but the source suggested that it ‘failed’ in that format, before being reigned back towards puzzles and exploration. The source also stated that Half-Life 3 will have a “open-world, quests and NPCs”

The source stated that development is well under way, and that the game will work several RPG elements into the mix. It was also suggested that the game will be a full Half-Life 3, not Half-Life 2: Episode 3.
    Last edited by Metal King Slime; 09-20-2012 at 19:46.
    Gaming on all platforms right now.

2. Likes Kwes likes this post
    Unbound Mercenary
    As overjoyed as I am to see this. I honestly hoped that it would just appear, and be released.

Still awesome, and even more awesome about the open world. Open world, and half life mixed will be amazing.
    Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    After 2013 means 2014 at the earliest, right?

I wonder if it will be on next-gen consoles then. Might as well.

Master Guru
    Items Baby ChocoboPlayStationUser name style
    I wouldn't get my hopes up on this. I believe this is valves first open world game. I think what they will do is give you the illusion it's open world but in reality it will be linear, just like all their other half-life games, the only difference is that you can go left and right more but there wont be anything in those areas worth the time.

Valve is not known to making dramatic changes, PC gamers back in the day to right now know this. I doubt it's going to be such a big change. the downfall with valve is they rehash the same game over and over again, just like activision. look at counter-strike: GO. it is 100% the same game as CS source, but with fewer maps then CS source. At the same time they did absolutely nothing to improve CS on the consoles. this is what valve does, one trick wonders is all they are.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    KungenMartiin
    ^Open world is $#@!ing overrated anyway. I personally don't care about taking a seperate path to open a $#@!ing chest with items, or talk to some stupid npc who'll give me a stupid quest. I actually wouldn't mind if HL3 wasn't open-world.

Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Items Olivia WildeArnold SchwarzneggerPearl JamSylvester StalloneScarlett JohanssonAC/DCAppleLegend of ZeldaBruce WillisNintendo 64Gran Turismo 5PlayStation
    After 2013?

I love the vague context because you're like "does that mean, 2014? cause after 2013, I count 2014..or is it after 2013 starts?"

Valve being Chris Nolans and all.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    KungenMartiin
    Lol "After 2013" really is quite ridiculous now that I think of it

Veteran
    Items LiverpoolUser name style
    "After 2013" could also mean never lol.

Also, should be in PC section.

Ultimate Veteran
    we could only think that this game wil be for next gen games 2013 to 2014 the PS4 will be out.
    i for got about this game when i see it in the store then i will get hyped about it to me its vapor ware right now lol

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    you guys checked out the free Black Mesa mod yet? Its pretty darned good I think.

http://release.blackmesasource.com/

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KungMartin90 View Post
    ^Open world is $#@!ing overrated anyway. I personally don't care about taking a seperate path to open a $#@!ing chest with items, or talk to some stupid npc who'll give me a stupid quest. I actually wouldn't mind if HL3 wasn't open-world.
    As much as I love RPG's, I have to agree. Half-Life is one of my favorite series of games and I was perfectly fine with the linearity and storytelling.

I just hope the quests are actually worthwhile and pertain to the story. Not some dumb fetch quests.

Not sure how I feel about this announcement.

Ultimate Veteran
    I'm not getting my hopes up. This is still a rumor.
    Thanks to Kwes for the avatar and Sylar for the signature!

Do you love GTA? Check out my general discussion thread here!

Elite Guru
    Yeah, the thread title could do with a big fat 'rumour' comment; as well as a reminder of 'Valve time'.

Until Gabe says it, it's not legit.

PSU Trophy Manager
    PSN ID
    Faenix1
    Items Final Fantasy X-2Final Fantasy XIIFangNoctisLightningFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIINaughty DogFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIPS3 Slim
    Even though its a rumor, I still have a hard time believing lol

Sig&Av by Kuro

Preorders:
    FarCry4DragonAge3DyingLightOrder1886Witcher3Batman:AKUncharted4

PSN
    , XBL, Steam: Faenix1 - 3DS Friend Code: 3883-6299-4363
    Phat PS3: February 2008 - June 1st, 2011, Slim PS3: June 3rd 2011 - Present
    PS4, 3DSxl: November 2013 - Present
    PSVita December 2013 - Present

El Presidente
    I hope not. Every damn game doesn't have to be open world an allow choices. I like a good linear story centered game.

Focus. Control. Conviction. Resolve. A true ace lacks none of these attributes. Nothing can deter you from the task at hand except your own fears. This is your sky.

Master Poster
    Items VitaLiverpool360 SlimPS3 FatGoogle Chrome
    ^ You want a game to last you 10 hours in stead of 50?

There are more than enough linear shooters this gen, more open world is needed IMO, real value for money.

Anyway, i got a feeling it will go in the way of Alan wake, start of as a open world then become more linear instead.

Hope it does stay open world, not only does it offer much more in terms of hours but offers you choices and you can play the game YOU want to play, about time devs stop holding our hands in games and forcing us to go this or that way.

And before you say, a linear games does not mean the story will be better or deeper, many linear games have crappy, predictable and short storyline that once you completed you forget.

(though the HL series and Valve are different and much better than your average dev team, so if it does stay linear it will still be a potential game of the year)

Dat Guy
    Items Protect yourselfNew User TitleTitle Style
    The only thing about the headline I believe is the after 2013 part

Thank you itachi

Veteran
    Items LiverpoolUser name style
    Sorry lfcps3 but that's bull$#@!.

There are many linear games that have remarkable stories, and there are many linear games that suck balls. Similarly, there are many open world games that have remarkable stories, and there are many open world games that are horrible.

That single design decision has no bearing on the overall quality of the game. It's all down to the quality of the writers and developers. A certain game and story may be better served in a different environment, but it's down to the developer to make the best decision there.

Play time also has no bearing on overall quality.
    I'd rather play a great 10 hour game than a mediocre 50 hour game.

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Half-Life isnt truly linear, you often have to backtrack and deviate in order to progress forwards and this causes some players problems they are so used to going forward and having a waypoint guide them it becomes too boring/hard because they don't know where to go so they give up.
    Some gamers need the linearity otherwise their brain cannot compute.

Half-Life 2 from what I remember is linear, it has been a while since I playedit all the way throug to the end It ry to but I get bored of it.

I just hope they make Half-Life 3 DeathMatch and create another cool weapon that can enables new game experiences.

HL1 Gauss/Tau
    HL2 Gravity gun
    HL3 ????????
    Last edited by keefy; 09-21-2012 at 00:04.

Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    Half life is brilliant and the formula shouldn't be messed with too much...

But yeah I don't think we'll see it til 'after 2013' haha.

It better have a cameo/crossover with portal :P

Via Tapatalk

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    KungenMartiin
    Quote Originally Posted by LfCpS3 View Post
    Since when is a linear game limited to 10 hours :/ I can easily see a "linear" PC game going for 15-20 hours, which is more than enough.

El Presidente
    Quote Originally Posted by LfCpS3 View Post

There are more than enough linear shooters this gen, more open world is needed IMO, real value for money.

Anyway, i got a feeling it will go in the way of Alan wake, start of as a open world then become more linear instead.

Hope it does stay open world, not only does it offer much more in terms of hours but offers you choices and you can play the game YOU want to play, about time devs stop holding our hands in games and forcing us to go this or that way.

And before you say, a linear games does not mean the story will be better or deeper, many linear games have crappy, predictable and short storyline that once you completed you forget.

(though the HL series and Valve are different and much better than your average dev team, so if it does stay linear it will still be a potential game of the year)
    No I certainly don't want every game to last 50 hours. It gets boring after I while and I don't want to run around all over the place anymore.

You can have more choice over how things progress but that doesn't make it better. I would not want every game I play to be open world format. I like the smaller more focused levels in linear games. Developers should be making the games consumers want but also what they want to make. If a dev wants a linear story they think people will love let them make it how they want. If some people don't want to play it they don't have to.

You mention Alan Wake and that's a great example. I thought the game was fantastic and it is linear. I never felt like I was running through corridor levels constantly.

Focus. Control. Conviction. Resolve. A true ace lacks none of these attributes. Nothing can deter you from the task at hand except your own fears. This is your sky.

Master Poster
    Items VitaLiverpool360 SlimPS3 FatGoogle Chrome
    Quote Originally Posted by Shibby View Post
    Sorry lfcps3 but that's bull$#@!.

There are many linear games that have remarkable stories, and there are many linear games that suck balls. Similarly, there are many open world games that have remarkable stories, and there are many open world games that are horrible.

That single design decision has no bearing on the overall quality of the game. It's all down to the quality of the writers and developers. A certain game and story may be better served in a different environment, but it's down to the developer to make the best decision there.

Play time also has no bearing on overall quality.
    I'd rather play a great 10 hour game than a mediocre 50 hour game.
    TLR: I just used this thread to say i want more open world games with a good story :P

You are right, I am just saying that a game being open world opens up more opportunities and could enhance the game more ( as well as ruin it, so it is up to Valve to make the right decision)

I am not saying i dont play or enjoy linear games or that they suck, there are a few i do enjoy but I'm just saying there are way too many linear shooters this gen ( granted most focus more on MP which is why the SP might not be as good) but i think having a FPS game in an open world style could be very good, Valve are probably the only devs i believe that could possibly be able to create an open world shooter with the the quality we expect.

And like i said, even if it does stay linear ( HL is not really that linear, from what i remember, or not as much as other shooters) then it would still be a top game.

Everything i wrote was me just saying i would basically like more open world games with a good story, not really about HL :P

IV, RDR and maybe mafia 2 and LA Noire are the only games this gen I can think of that have a decent story and are open world ( with the latter two not offering as much content and not focused much on being an open world game) ( IMO )

When I mentioned Alan wake, i did not mean it in a negative way as it may have sounded, just saying it could end up going from an open world concept to a more focused and linear game ( AW is the best game on the 360 for me, brilliant game)
    I don't want much more open world games, just more open world games that offer a very good story as well, which i believe Valve could mix very well.

If it does stay more linear/focused then it wont matter, as it will still be a top class game.

I do doubt that HL3 would be open world, most likely for the best too.

Either way, watchdogs looks to be the game i was waiting for this gen.

Dedicated Member
    I think it would be a good idea to launch this game with their own console and help boost sales
    Six Years With PSU!~ Favourite Games of all Time~ Smash Bros, Spyro, GTA series and Elder Scrolls Series
    Add me on PSN FOXY007 OR Steam psn_foxy007
    My Hardware~ Sony Bravia 240hz 3D 40".. Ps3 Slim250gig and Sony Bravia Surround Sound 5.1
    PC- i7 3930k|gtx670|8g ram|2T HDD|Bluray disc drive

Master Sage
    Items User name styleLegend of ZeldaDiablo IIIHeath LedgerJoker (limited ICON)Title Style
    Meh... not a big fan of open world games, unless they have quite a few RPG elements.

Once more into the fray.
    Into the last good fight I'll ever know.
    Live and die on this day.
    Live and die on this day.

Thread Information