Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 7
    Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Fijiandoce View Post
    no?
    but its as itachi said. price. of all the things you put in your console (to bring to market), the heat dispersion method only needs to pass a sufficient level of cooling, does it not?
    why increase cost here when you can use that somewhere else? more-so, when a slimmer, cooler, more efficient model is part of the products plan?

out of genuine curiosity, how would you cool a launch PS3? you cannot decrease price or change the shape...only your method of cooling
    I would put in better quality heatsinks /thermal compound, possibly redesign the fan setup and likely not use lead free solder.

And are you really advocating selling people faulty products because it doesn't make sense to invest in a good cooling system because it won't be necessary in later revisions?

Ancient
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by MATRIX 2 View Post
    You guys do realize every BC ps3 is destined to fail/ylod much more so than later revisions, right?
    Yeah I have one

Sent via Codec

"Xbox is about to become the next water cooler”

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    Quote Originally Posted by MATRIX 2 View Post
    I would put in better quality heatsinks /thermal compound, possibly redesign the fan setup and likely not use lead free solder.

And are you really advocating selling people faulty products because it doesn't make sense to invest in a good cooling system because it won't be necessary in later revisions?
    oh no no, as i even said. the cooling only suffices. i know it could be better

im just curious to see what someone else would do with the cooling, as it seems both companies went with just 'sufficient' cooling systems.

there is a PC case out now by Silverstone. it would be nice if consoles adopted a similar philosophy as their raven cases as this also helps cool the system...because, you know, heat rises
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fijiandoce View Post
    oh no no, as i even said. the cooling only suffices. i know it could be better

im just curious to see what someone else would do with the cooling, as it seems both companies went with just 'sufficient' cooling systems.

there is a PC case out now by Silverstone. it would be nice if consoles adopted a similar philosophy as their raven cases as this also helps cool the system...because, you know, heat rises
    No, hot air rises.

Both companies go with sufficient cooling because it is the most cost-effective. It may not make sense to spend extra money on cooling, depending on the expected rate of failure. You need to compare the cost of having consoles fail with the cost of adding better cooling.

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    Quote Originally Posted by Centurion View Post
    No, hot air rises.

Both companies go with sufficient cooling because it is the most cost-effective. It may not make sense to spend extra money on cooling, depending on the expected rate of failure. You need to compare the cost of having consoles fail with the cost of adding better cooling.
    apologies mr.pedantic

but i could of sworn i halfheartedly said something similar to what you've just posted
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Forum Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by dagnastyep View Post
    I actually hope they do enforce it. This has been one of the longest console generations ever, and I think people are expecting (and hoping) a significant jump in power and capability. For next gen consoles to come out and still be at 720p, wouldn't feel like much of a leap in tech. DX11 visuals will be awesome for the next gen, but I'm glad to hear rumors that MS is making 1080p mandatory or that Sony is looking into 4k gaming.
    I do agree that visual resolution should be that of 1080p, but I do not agree that the rendered shading and samples should be 2073600 samples distributed evenly on screen.
    If enforcing is done badly we get worse overall quality on same or smaller visible resolution. (1080p enforced as back buffer and all buffers related to it.)

With proper techniques the 4K output resolution should be possible with 2073600 samples or less and still have perfect edge quality..
    Also most low frequency data effects are a lot better to do with dynamic or multi resolution approaches.
    Quote Originally Posted by Two4DaMoney View Post
    720 to 1080p will not make a difference to the average gamer. It's using up too many resources for the "jump" to really be seen.
    Biggest advantage of moving to 1080p as the target rendering resolution that we actually have TVs that have 1080p as native resolution and thus there is no additional scaling involved on display and developers get pretty much exactly what they output to screen.
    -------
    Couple of nice blog posts about OpenGL.
    The Truth on OpenGL Driver Quality
    Things that drive me nuts about OpenGL

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    D3seeker
    Items PS3 Slim
    http://www.gametrailers.com/side-mis...edium=facebook
    With that out of the way, Sony's latest patent is pretty interesting. Essentially, it offers a quick, simple way for consoles to easily switch between different processors while cranking out graphics.To understand why this is a big deal, it helps to understand what a GPU does.
    A Graphics Processing Unit is essentially a circuit dedicated entirely to building frames ahead of time to be displayed. Think of a video game as a flip-book, and the GPU is constantly turning out new pages of the book as you flip.
    If that sounds like a very complex job in a video game, you'd be correct. So changing in mid-stream is a tricky business, to say the least. This is especially true if the two processors have different architectures, making it pretty much impossible.
    What Sony's patent does, assuming it works, is make it possible for one GPU to take over for a another GPU, midstream and regardless of architecture.
    This is interesting for a couple of reasons, not the least of which is that development kits shipped out recently have been built around an accelerated processing unit, or APU, which has an integrated GPU.
    This would mean that the PS4 would, for example, be able to handle more complex tasks much more quickly, such as loading the next dungeon while playing through the current one. It would also offer some power savings, as it would mean the lower-power GPU could handle tasks such as rendering menus and loading screens instead of throwing far too much horsepower at such a simple problem.
    Whether this technology will be in the PS4 is an open question… but it certainly shows what direction Sony is headed towards.

What do the experts among us make of this?

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by D3seeker View Post
    http://www.gametrailers.com/side-mis...edium=facebook

What do the experts among us make of this?
    Already spent 2 hours this morning on BY3D and gaf reading this. Only confirms the rumor that Sony is going APU(CPU+GPU) + discrete GPU
    The APU may have an 8800 mobile series GPU while the discrete maybe a 7800 series

Veteran
    It is quite like the Vita setup. Should be able to do loads of background stuff with this.

[Here is a stretch] I wonder if they will be able to bolster their 1080p/60 FPS goal with this. NVidia does something similar with unused processing power in the GTX 690.

Thread Information