Latest PSU headlines:

Supreme Veteran
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Sony Patent plans to track your DNA, Fingerprints, Voice Pattern, Iris and Face.

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/20120240223.pdf

Sony Computer Entertainment (the PlayStation division of Sony) has in their plans to store your biometric data online and use it to keep a constant eye on you in the future, horray for Big Brother (not the TV show).

Filed back in May, the patent describes the ‘problem’ of being unable to trust that the people who log in to their devices are actually the main account holder, rather than someone who has just been given the device after it has been unlocked.

Apparently, they plan to solve this by collecting your Biometric data:

To overcome the above disadvantages, embodiments of the invention are directed to consumer devices and methods for operating consumer devices. According to embodiments of the invention a user of a consumer electronics device is uniquely identified using a metric that is contingent upon the user using the device normally. Content that depends on the user’s identity can be provided to or from the device. According to certain embodiments, a user may be uniquely identified using a biometric sensor to provide the metric. Examples of suitable biometric sensors include fingerprint sensors, hand sensors, face recognition systems, iris scanners retinal scanners, voice pattern ****yzers, and DNA ****yzers. The biometric sensor senses a user biometric during normal operation of the device by the user. In certain embodiments of the invention a user identification unit incorporated into a control module of the device.

They also explain how the data could be used to create a profile about you and your gaming preferences...

====

Personally speaking, if Sony go this route (by implementing it with the PS4 or Vita) they can get stuffed. Talk about violation of my privacy.
    Main PC: INTEL CORE i7 4930k | ASUS P9X79-PRO | 16GB G-SKILL 2400MHz RAM | GTX 780 3GB PHANTOM GLH EDITION | SAMSUNG 840 PRO 256GB | 2 X 1TB WD RE4 | 2TB WD GREEN | SILVERSTONE STRIDER 1200W GOLD | HAF-X w/ DEMCI FLEX FILTERS | SWIFTECH H320 AIO | WINDOWS 8.1 PRO w/ MEDIA CENTER x64.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    And if Sony sees that youre not the main account holder a black van will pull up to your house and you'll be taken bound with a dark hood over your head to an undisclosed location and be subjected to chemical interrogation and then debriefed.

3. Likes Linconan, Wrath wishes they had posted this first.
    Apprentice
    Lol... most people don't even know that this is already going on.

I wonder where humanity will draw the line and say "no more". I mean this is ridiculous, but so many people just don't care. It's like they're hypnotized.

Thanks a lot for this info. This concerns me a lot. PSN/XBL is already designed to monitor gamers, but this would be another dimension.

Home Theater Guru
    Items Dark SoulsDemons Souls CoverDark Souls Cover
    Most of these patents don't ever see the light of day anyway... Companies just block them so that they may not be used by competitors.

This will most likely be one of them.

Forum Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Wrath View Post
    Most of these patents don't ever see the light of day anyway... Companies just block them so that they may not be used by competitors.

This will most likely be one of them.
    This does have other applications though. Sony could be eying the security industry in which, uh-uh.

Home Theater Guru
    Items Dark SoulsDemons Souls CoverDark Souls Cover
    Quote Originally Posted by Morganator View Post
    This does have other applications though. Sony could be eying the security industry in which, uh-uh.
    Fair enough.

But as long as the security industry doesn't magically join forces with the gaming business I'll be fine.

Forum Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Wrath View Post
    Fair enough.

But as long as the security industry doesn't magically join forces with the gaming business I'll be fine.
    True enough. I still don't like that it's even there though. One aspect is the integration for cyber security which does worry me. I guess we will just have to wait and see.

Soldier 95B
    Quote Originally Posted by radgamer420 View Post
    And if Sony sees that youre not the main account holder a black van will pull up to your house and you'll be taken bound with a dark hood over your head to an undisclosed location and be subjected to chemical interrogation and then debriefed.
    The important questions is, will I get spanked?

Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    Terminator101
    I predict that PS5 will be the first Sony console that might have something like this integrated....
    Almost everyone will say: buy console that has games that you want, and those who say otherwise are ignorant.

Playstation Move for the win!

Apprentice
    Errm... Gaming industry is part of the media industry. This means that they are already joined ("security industry" and media).

"Security" is not security nowadays... it means "taking away basic rights and freedom for more control over the population".

Spoiler because it gets a little offtopic at the end:

12. Likes Morganator wishes they had posted this first.
    Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier 95B View Post
    You never know. lol

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    berts08
    Items User name styleManchester United
Gift received at 11-19-2011 from Cuguy
Message: couldn't find a reason the shop would deny you the purchase, so here ya go
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier 95B View Post

“Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.” Arthur C. Clarke

PSN ID: berts08

Superior Member

What if I the user WANT my games or devices locked. What if I don't want my WIFE to snoop through my Erickson phone? Or child using my VIAO laptop. It can have other uses as well. Trust me....my wife knows my passwords lol.

Also can keep people from stealing my stuff and trying to resale it.

Thread Information