Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Apprentice
    PSN ID
    EviL_JoE_DirT
    Items Final Fantasy VII

Sony Pulse Wireless Headset Elite Edition Unboxing + Review

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-500397_162-57517413/review-pulse-elite-edition-headset/
    (CBS News) When it comes to gaming headsets, sound fidelity and comfort are usually at the top of the wish list. With its latest effort -- the Pulse Elite Edition for the PlayStation 3 -- Sony might have struck the perfect balance.
    This wireless headset has a premium build but that doesn't mean it comes with added weight. At a little more than 11 ounces, this headset doesn't become a bother during extending gaming sessions. I played three hours of Borderlands 2 with this headset and didn't have the urge to take off the headphones.
    Sony has put a lot of effort into providing an immersive auditory experience. The noise-canceling headset has 7.1 virtual surround sound and what Sony has dubbed BassImpact. The headset picked up sounds in the game that I did not pick up during my hours of playing without the headphones. From distant shouts to footsteps, the Pulse didn't miss much. The sound was crisp and rich though there was a very slight hiss when the game was paused.
    Versatility is another strength. The headset has preset modes -- game, music, shooter, fighting and racing. These modes provide the optimum sound levels for each gaming genre. You can also customize the auditory experience by manually adjusting the BassImapct level. There is a slider to balance the game and voice volumes.
    The Pulse discreetly handles voice chat. There is no protruding microphone. Sony has used a noise-canceling microphone that is tucked away inside the headset. I received no complaints about voice quality, and players' voices on the other end came in crisply.
    But the Pulse isn't limited to just wireless PS3 gaming. Sony included a 3.5mm audio cable, and the ear pads have a jack, allowing the headset to be used with a wide-range of electronics. Anything from TVs, cell phones and MP3 players can be used with the Pulse. Sony's latest handheld -- the PlayStation Vita -- is also compatible.
    The only drawback I found during my time with the Pulse was the placement of the controls. They are housed on the ear pads, and though that gives the headset a minimalistic look, it makes it difficult to manipulate the settings while in the middle of a game. It's not a major concern. I tuned the headset before my gaming sessions and had not issues.
    The Pulse is a premium headset for a reasonable price. At $150, Sony is delivering a gaming-first headset that can be used on the go. The headphones' versatility allows for maximum usability, giving user the most bang for their buck. The Pulse Elite Edition will be available Sept. 25.
    Games playing: nothing Games anticapating: H-Hour: World's Elite, Destiny, Elder Scrolls Online, Planetside 2, MGS5, FFXV, FFXIV, FF X HD, Witcher 3, Rime, War Thunder, Dying Light, ME4, Uncharted

Dedicated Member
    Items Full Metal AlchemistThe X-FilesFinal Fantasy VII
    dang! those look good. If i didn't have a mic i would totally get it

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    i have the axpros trittons but ill be picking this up tomorrow

Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    Nice, very nice. I have the older 7.1 official headset, this one not only looks nicer but has a audio jack!

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

Master Guru
    Items Dark SoulsDemons Souls CoverDark Souls Cover
    I've go last year's version too so I'm wondering whether it would be worth upgrading? Solely from a sound perspective I mean.

Ultimate Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrath View Post
    I've go last year's version too so I'm wondering whether it would be worth upgrading? Solely from a sound perspective I mean.
    My guess would be that they will sound very close, maybe identical minus the rumble pulse.
    I will be getting these for sure so I can compare the two.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    I think it was an ass move by Sony to release these after others have already bought the older model, they should have been released at the same time or at least with the info that a better model was coming. Had I known that this model was coming I would have bought it instead. I will buy these when my first model headset bites the dust.

ストライク・ザ・ブラッド
    PSN ID
    xAkiRo
    Items YunaLuluBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-11-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XIII-2AtlusFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy V
    Think I'll replace my px21's for these.

PSN: xThAkIdJxYx Cod Psn:xxAkiRo
    ‎"It's not important to have a long life, the important thing is to have a happy life with your beloved ones"

Ultimate Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post
    I think it was an ass move by Sony to release these after others have already bought the older model, they should have been released at the same time or at least with the info that a better model was coming. Had I known that this model was coming I would have bought it instead. I will buy these when my first model headset bites the dust.
    There will always be a newer model release of anything. The older headset is still one of the best on the market.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by mickice View Post
    There will always be a newer model release of anything. The older headset is still one of the best on the market.
    While this is generally true, it's not really the case with PlayStation brand accessories regarding the short time in between. I can't remember any acessory that was released and then surpassed less than a year later. These were announced a few months ago. I still love my headset, but I'd love these more lol.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    I was about to buy the old one. Since I'm not too crazy about all these new bells and whistles I might still pick up the old one.
    That said, this looks sexy as hell
    Last edited by Itachi; 09-24-2012 at 19:11.

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    Sir_Scud
    Items Final Fantasy IVDark SoulsGuerrilla Games
    I have the older ones and love them a lot. These new ones look nice as hell, but I'll stick with my current one. Anyone who doesn't have a mic/decent sound setup would definitely benefit from these. It's nice to use at night too.

Master Poster
    I was looking at buying a older one, but I might just scoop this up since it's newer. The cost difference for me is about $70 so it's not too much...

Sony SXRD VPL-VW50 w/ 100" Da-lite Fixed Screen

Sony KDL-55XBR8, Samsung BDP-3600 BR Player, Black Cloud 160GB & X Box 360 Elite

Veteran
    Items Battlefield 3ArsenalDark Souls
    So will the older ones still be available to buy after these come out, and if so will they be cheaper? Cos frankly I'm not keen on these ones, rumbly base, don't care... can't hear yourself speak, that's dumb and call me old fashioned but I like having a mic sticking out that you can see.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    Just bought the older ones. They look better aswell

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    Kingpin326
    Items New User TitlePhotoShopModern Warfare 3Google ChromeUser name styleColeBattlefield 3Assassins Creed Ezio
    I bought them. Compared to the old wireless SONY HS, these are leaps ahead. The design is great compared to the old one, especially with the hidden built in mic. The base adjustment is amazing, the pin point sounds are awesome. They have added different presets that you can shuffle through (Game/Shooter/Fighting/Racing, etc). Compared to the old one there was just a volume adjuster.

If are looking to upgrade or just looking for a headset. I would recommend these. I even used to own Turtle Beaches.. but they broke after 3 months of use.

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    Items User name style
    the headset is nice, kind of an unfair advantage in certain situations...in socom (conf) you can hear where everybody is! pinpoint accuracy lol, i camped back and killed 7 ppl in a round of demolition to clutch it (obviously i was called a cheater lol). finally i dont have to pack my wires (trittons AXpros) with me going over the in-laws, very well designed

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    I have the older model but I think I will get these. These are better in every single way.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Sryche
    Items Guerrilla Gamesid Software
    does anyone know how this new headset compares to the Turtle Beach PX5's or the Astro A50's?

"Don't Be Surprised If You Mind When You Find Me." ~ Life of Agony

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    GreatnessRD
    Items User name style
    Is this universal? Can I use it on the 360, too? Asking before I by an adapter for my X31's.

$Greatness$ Awaits™

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    Items User name style
    nah the 360 does not recognize it...well my slim doesnt, i dont know if i'm doing it right but its not finding it

dont know about the astros, or the px5 but the sound is so crisp and clear on the pulse HS, i dont know how to describe it but it makes it feel like you are in the game and the sounds are all around you...im guessing the virtual 7.1 ss has something to do with that (didnt get that with my TB nor the AXpros)
    Last edited by YoungMullah88; 10-04-2012 at 01:46.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    nye99
    do these work on PC aswell as the ps3?

ADD ME- nye99

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    Kingpin326
    Items New User TitlePhotoShopModern Warfare 3Google ChromeUser name styleColeBattlefield 3Assassins Creed Ezio
    Quote Originally Posted by nye99 View Post
    do these work on PC aswell as the ps3?
    PC, MAC, PS3, also has a small AUX cable which works with any music player (ipod/mp3 player, etc).

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    nye99
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingpin326 View Post
    PC, MAC, PS3, also has a small AUX cable which works with any music player (ipod/mp3 player, etc).
    Awesome, might have to pick one up then, thanks Kingpin!

ADD ME- nye99

PSN ID
    Slabs
    Could someone tell me if you can use these simultaneously on the PS3 and the PC at the same time? Our team uses skype to communicate and my turtle beach headset offers this feature. I have been looking erlverywhere for days for an answer to this question. Help would be most appreciated.

Thread Information