Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Ear Ringing After Concert

I was in the third row of a Coheed & Cambria concert 12 days ago, right next to the speakers. It was by far the loudest concert I've ever been to. Needless to say, the concert destroyed my ears. I still can't listen to music at a decent volume without making my ears sore and they're still ringing.

Now for most people, the ringing usually goes away after a few days, and if not, permanent Tinnitus (ear ringing) might be the case.

I'm scared I'm one of those people. However, I have heard some people say their ears rang for a few weeks before they were back to normal, including my dad (which happened twice to him).

So I just want to know if anyone here has had similar experiences to this? Did anyone have ringing that went away after an extended period of time?
    Last edited by Ixion; 09-25-2012 at 16:39.

Veteran

PSN ID
    Cybertox
    I think you should better consult a doctor about this.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybertox View Post
    I think you should better consult a doctor about this.
    My appointment isn't until October 8th. They're booked.

I just want to know if anyone has had similar experiences.

Veteran

PSN ID
    Cybertox
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion View Post
    My appointment isn't until October 8th. They're booked.

I just want to know if anyone has had similar experiences.
    If somebody had the same experience for over a week doesnt mean that after a week your ringing in the ears will disappear, it depends on the person and on the personal issue as well.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    If somebody had the same experience for over a week doesnt mean that after a week your ringing in the ears will disappear, it depends on the person.
    I know. I just want some hope.

A lot of people say ear ringing should go away after a few days, and since mine is still there, I want to know if there's still a good chance mine can go away too.

Veteran

PSN ID
    Cybertox
    Is the ringing as loud as it was in the beginning or it is getting quieter? I dont think that there is a permanent type of ringing, as far as i know all in ear ringings should go away after a set amount of time.

Unbound Mercenary
    I once went to a AC/DC concert and my ears rang for about 2 weeks. So its not too out of the ordinary.
    Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.

Forum Sage
    My ears are $#@!ed from going to many live music events every week. After i went to the Valve system i had the stupid ringing in my ears for weeks. Only thing i can reccomend is getting ear plugs. I'm getting some of these for my birthday. They are custom moulded to your ear for a perfect fit. Pricey, but well worth it if you wan't to remain to be able to hear things as you get older.

Master Guru
    Items Protect yourselfUser name style
    There isn't a lot you can do besides wait. If it makes you feel better most people, who go to concerts, ears start ringing. It's not uncommon so don't sweat it yet. I wish you god speed, cu-ball (My new nickname for you)

edit: I failed so hard because i thought this was Cuguy post. Hence the cu-ball SMH
    Last edited by Silvy; 09-25-2012 at 17:15.

Remember that i'm going to die is the best way I know to avoid trap of thinking you have something to lose, you're already naked, there's no reason not to follow your heart.

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    RaYU84
    Items Iron Maiden3DSBaby ChocoboDr. DreDragon Ball Z3DSPS3 SlimNintendo 64TOOLPink FloydAC/DCFuturama
    Most I've had that was about a week.
    Thanks to THUGGEDOUT for the sig, The Black Wolf for the av.
    Life's too short to be sober! Drunk with power!

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Might get a few days peace from you woman, that would be funny get a Dr's note telling your mrs to keep quiet.

Just dont turn music or TV up so you can hear it that will probabyl do more damage. Stay out of loud environments.

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBettaKnow View Post
    My ears are $#@!ed from going to many live music events every week. After i went to the Valve system i had the stupid ringing in my ears for weeks. Only thing i can reccomend is getting ear plugs. I'm getting some of these for my birthday. They are custom moulded to your ear for a perfect fit. Pricey, but well worth it if you wan't to remain to be able to hear things as you get older.
    30 times cheaper and do the same job, just not custom moulded to your ear.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/ACS-ER20-Mus...7418348&sr=8-1

ストライク・ザ・ブラッド
    PSN ID
    xAkiRo
    Items YunaLuluBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-11-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XIII-2AtlusFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy V
    Yeah think its normal been to some concerts always blasted my music too. Usually subsides in a week for me.

PSN: xThAkIdJxYx Cod Psn:xxAkiRo
    ‎"It's not important to have a long life, the important thing is to have a happy life with your beloved ones"

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    Might get a few days peace from you woman, that would be funny get a Dr's note telling your mrs to keep quiet.

Just dont turn music or TV up so you can hear it that will probabyl do more damage. Stay out of loud environments.

Do they $#@!. Have you ever used el cheapo ear plugs? The music sounds like ass.

Admittedly, they will make it so your ears don't ring the following day. You get what you pay for though. You know that as well, Keefy. It would be like me telling you to go buy a cheap drill for 10

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    I thought the big payment is for the custom mouldof the device in your ear not the sound quality.
    Last edited by keefy; 09-25-2012 at 17:30.

Forum Sage
    Nope, i mean, sure that is probably included in the price. But they certainly sound much much better than any cheap filters you can buy. Most the time they just cut out the highs of the music and your just left with the bass and mids. With these, or any higher priced ear plugs the filters just cut out the nasty frequencies whilst not butchering the sound of the music.

I bought a cheap pair of plugs a few years ago and refused to use them just because the music sounded $#@! all night long. I actually linked to the wrong ones, it's actually the ACS PRO-26 i had bookmarked, they are a bit cheaper too. Certainly worth it though.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Is the ringing as loud as it was in the beginning or it is getting quieter? I dont think that there is a permanent type of ringing, as far as i know all in ear ringings should go away after a set amount of time.
    It can be permanent. It's a condition called Tinnitus. It usually happens after repeated exposure to loud noises, but can sometimes happen even after a really loud gunshot or explosion, for example. So I might have it.

Quote Originally Posted by -Kwesnoth- View Post
    I once went to a AC/DC concert and my ears rang for about 2 weeks. So its not too out of the ordinary.
    That's encouraging!

Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    I already bought some hunting earplugs, which look similar to the ones keefy posted. However, I cut off the cord and everything up to the plug part, so I can wear them more inconspicuously.

I'm going to look at the higher quality options though. Thanks for the links guys.
    Last edited by Ixion; 09-25-2012 at 17:50.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Here's an article about how William Shatner almost committed suicide over Tinnitus:

http://www.starpulse.com/news/index....mitted_suicide

Star Trek icon William Shatner once contemplated suicide because his hearing problems were driving him mad.

The actor has revealed the permanent hiss of tinnitus, caused by an explosion on the set of "Star Trek," used to keep him awake at night - and he started fearing he'd never shake the noise.

He tells the Globe magazine, "It was like listening to the hiss of a TV that's not tuned to a channel. I thought I'd go deaf or nuts. I thought of killing myself."

Shatner eventually underwent tinnitus refraining therapy, which helped him retrain his brain to ignore the buzzing. The actor says, "Now the condition doesn't affect me."

Shatner isn't the only star to have suffered from tinnitus - The Who's Pete Townshend, Barbra Streisand and fellow "Star Trek" veteran Leonard Nimoy have also fought the hearing condition.

Forum Sage
    Thats crazy! It is quite annoying when your trying to sleep and all you can hear is that high pitch ringing but to contemplate killing yourself over it? Madness

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Thats crazy! It is quite annoying when your trying to sleep and all you can hear is that high pitch ringing but to contemplate killing yourself over it? Madness
    There are different levels of it though. For some people, it's as loud as a constant power drill.

For me personally, I can hear it all the time unless something decently loud is going on. So it's pretty annoying.

Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    Wanting to kill yourself over it is quite common, hearing loss and tinnitus is devestating to anyone.
    Can't really complain about tinnitus since my hearing has been genetically $#@!ed from birth, not that I blame my old man for it.
    Since ever I've had tinnitus, but after a loud concert my ears begin to crackle, I lose all fidelity. Worst feeling imaginable.
    Pretty much why I have sworn off rock concerts, I don't see why they need to be 130+ decibels.
    I figure it like this, I could listen to my SONY V55s for 100hours and experience less damage than one 2hr rock concert.

Another tip is to give your ears resting time, listen to a 75minute album with headphones, then allow yourself a 75minute break.

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

Thread Information