Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast
    Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Items NintendoFirefox LogoPSN LogoWii BlackPaper MarioWiiUGran Turismo 53DSPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I stand by the original meaning while I recognize that they are different types of gamers.

Just like you have different types of race car drivers drag, nascar, indy, GT racing ect...

Any game that requires more than just click and watch what happens (I.e. Sega CD games) do require some type of skill.

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Marcgear
    Items PlayStation
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBettaKnow View Post
    hmm... Ok. But GT compared to a game such as Project C.A.R.S is quite casual... Anyway, Mario Kart does require real skills, have you seen how good some people get at that game, they make green shells look like red shells they are so accurate. I guess that takes no skill though?

So it comes down to how much money is spent? What does that say for you when people spend double that on just GPU? Does that make them more of a gamer than yourself?
    Well no not really its not the price. cause if were talking price the extra spent on software ps3 vs pc would soon compensate for any difference in pc hardware costs. Im just saying if were saying i dont feel when you download a few 59p games you become a gamer as such. ive spent £1000s on consoles and games over the years because i am a gamer its a hobby and as daft as it sounds have put alot of time and effort into. As im sure most of the people on this forum have.
    New member of the PS4 club

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    RaYU84
    Items Iron Maiden3DSBaby ChocoboDr. DreDragon Ball Z3DSPS3 SlimNintendo 64TOOLPink FloydAC/DCFuturama
    Lol This should be fun. "Game" - er It's pretty simple really. Do you like to play games? Yes or No.

/close thread
    Thanks to THUGGEDOUT for the sig, The Black Wolf for the av.
    Life's too short to be sober! Drunk with power!

4. Likes imINxile likes this post
    Ancient
    I have 80+ disc PS3 games which I've more or less completed
    I have 11 consoles, not including imports or handhelds
    But I have to admit the PlayStations is where the bigger library is, I haven't beat my PSone or PS2 library with PS3 yet
    I use to be an importer with the 60htz TV & RGB scart lol
    But Sony save me that hassle this gen
    I was an arcader too, but thats died now
    I am all about the games but people think I'm biased because I like my PlayStations, but ohwell
    Far as see it, the 16-bit generation was a generation worth owning multiple consoles, The SNES, MEGA DRIVE & NEOGEO was very different, I mean if you bought a game available on both Sega's & Nintendos machine, they would look and play different, they totally different games
    These days I don't see the point, I rather buy more games then buy another console to play the same game I can play on the console I own
    Am I a gamer? I think so

Sent via Codec

"Xbox is about to become the next water cooler”

Veteran
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DSPlayStation
    A gamer is basically a person who loves or likes to play video games, on any platform, and any games.

If you ask me, there are 4 types of gamers:

Casual Gamers:
    -"Binge" Gamers
    -Casual Gamers

Hardcore Gamers:
    -Hardcore Gamers
    -"Obsessed" Gamers

Binge gamers are people who go in and out of gaming and the annual income spent on gaming is probably $200 and less. These gamers don't really care too much about gaming and may game with the buddies as a social thing, but rarely at home. These people will probably be people who are growing out of gaming or not liking gaming like it was when they were a kid.

Casual Gamers spend $200 - $350 on gaming in a year. These gamers play more than Binge Gamers and some are on the border between hardcore and casual. These gamers rarely read magazines, may not know about E3, and just play games that look good to them or advertised well. They also prefer less difficult and complicated games. This is the market that is the biggest and that consoles are targeting.

Hardcore Gamers spend $300-$600 on gaming annually. This is PSU gamers. I consider myself one. These gamers are in the know, they know about E3, they read magazines or reviews frequently. They love video games and are more infomed on video games and video game concepts.

"Obsessed" Gamers are your RPGers or your SIM players. These guys play so much that it interferes in their real life. These are the people that play World of Warcraft 24/7. These gamers spend the most time and money on gaming. They also may know more than hardcore gamers.

That's my take.

Currently Playing: Lumines Electronic Symphony (Vita)

El Presidente
    I think a gamer is anybody who plays any kind of video game, free to play or otherwise on some kind of consistent basis.

There are people who play Tetris and those who play Call of Duty but they are all gamers just the same.

Focus. Control. Conviction. Resolve. A true ace lacks none of these attributes. Nothing can deter you from the task at hand except your own fears. This is your sky.

8. Likes imINxile likes this post
    Apprentice
    PSN ID
    imINxile
    If everybody in the whole world wants to consider themselves to be gamers, so be it. Someone else's gaming status won't affect my hobby. if ya like to play, have fun and play.

Super Elite
    Items User name style
    A gamer is someone who plays game for entertainment purposes. All the other unnecessary $#@! is well, unnecessary.
    Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.8GHz | Nvidia 970 GTX | 6 GB Corsair Xms 1333 Mhz | 1 TB Seagate HDD | 250 GB WD HDD | Windows 7 Ultimate |

The Dawkness!
    PSN ID
    ElNaxi
    The tag is pointless since it creates a secluded community. There aren't any definitions like that in other media apart from the real enthusiasts (bookworms, moviebuffs etc). Everyone enjoys games.

My name isn't a misspelled Nazi,god****.

Selected Members Council
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Wolf View Post
    "Obsessed" Gamers are your RPGers or your SIM players. These guys play so much that it interferes in their real life. These are the people that play World of Warcraft 24/7. These gamers spend the most time and money on gaming. They also may know more than hardcore gamers.
    The genre has nothing to do with it. There are people who can just as easily play Call of Duty or Farmville for 16 hours a day.

But a question like this really doesn't deserve such a long-winded post. A gamer is simply someone who enjoys playing games. It doesn't matter if they're casual, hardcore or somewhere in between.
    Last edited by Metal King Slime; 09-26-2012 at 00:50.
    Thanks to Kwes for the avatar and Sylar for the signature!

Veteran
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DSPlayStation
    Quote Originally Posted by Blacksite View Post
    The genre has nothing to do with it. There are people who can just as easily play Call of Duty or Farmville for 16 hours a day.

But a question like this really doesn't deserve such a long-winded post. A gamer is simply someone who enjoys playing games. It doesn't matter if they're casual, hardcore or somewhere in between.
    I wanted to do a long post. That's what I wanted to do. Is there a new rule on how long a post can be or something?

I wasn't saying it mattered, I was just telling about the types of gamers.

Currently Playing: Lumines Electronic Symphony (Vita)

Selected Members Council
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Wolf View Post
    I wanted to do a long post. That's what I wanted to do. Is there a new rule on how long a post can be or something?

I wasn't saying it mattered, I was just telling about the types of gamers.
    No, obviously. But I don't really agree. For example, just because you're a casual gamer doesn't mean you prefer your games to be easy.

The only real difference is that people who call themselves "hardcore gamers" put more time into playing games than those who aren't.
    Last edited by Metal King Slime; 09-26-2012 at 01:40.
    Thanks to Kwes for the avatar and Sylar for the signature!

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    A gamer is someone that gets irritated at someone that says "man totally balled out on gaming last night - 32 angry birds levels in one night is one heck of a gaming session".
    Be Together - Not the same.

Master Guru
    Items Baby ChocoboPlayStationUser name style
    being a gamer has absolutely nothing to do with skill in a game o.O to be a gamer you just have to like to play games, if you like to play games then you are a gamer. it's that simple. there is nothing special you have to do to be a gamer, just play games.
    Last edited by Bigdoggy; 09-26-2012 at 02:40.
    PSN ID: Intense_Peanut

17. Likes DarkVincent07, imINxile likes this post
    Apprentice
    PSN ID
    imINxile
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigdoggy View Post
    being a gamer has absolutely nothing to do with skill in a game o.O to be a gamer you just have to like to play games, if you like to play games then you are a gamer. it's that simple. there is nothing special to you have to do to be a gamer, just play games.
    Exactly. The people that care about gaming status just piss me off. Really? Lets move forward....

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by imINxile View Post
    Exactly. The people that care about gaming status just piss me off. Really? Lets move forward....
    Like gamers that think retro gaming is cool or keep harping on about it.
    Be Together - Not the same.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Items NintendoFirefox LogoPSN LogoWii BlackPaper MarioWiiUGran Turismo 53DSPS3 Slim
    Smh.....fack all the ps3 and Xbox ish its all about Mode 7 and the fx chip son!! 16 bits fo LIFE!! Lol

If you play games then your a gamer. Is the main repetitive answer and I agree now the type of gamer that's an whole other topic lol...

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    imINxile
    Quote Originally Posted by DeviousOne View Post
    Smh.....fack all the ps3 and Xbox ish its all about Mode 7 and the fx chip son!! 16 bits fo LIFE!! Lol

If you play games then your a gamer. Is the main repetitive answer and I agree now the type of gamer that's an whole other topic lol...
    Mario Cart took skill I don't care what they say lol!

22. Likes DeviousOne likes this post
    Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigdoggy View Post
    being a gamer has absolutely nothing to do with skill in a game o.O to be a gamer you just have to like to play games, if you like to play games then you are a gamer. it's that simple. there is nothing special you have to do to be a gamer, just play games.

I'm going to agree with this.

But take it a step further... why even call people gamers?

I watch movies that doesn't mean I'm a 'casual movie watcher' and I listen to a lot of music but that doesn't make me a 'hardcore music listener'. I think the term 'gamer' probably needs to die out.
    I have 5 other family members in my home and each of them play some kind of video game on some level. Be it my 9 year old sister who sometimes plays Lego Pirates or Mario Kart or my mum who plays Bejewled on facebook. They wouldn't go out of their way to call themselves gamers, and neither would I.

It seems the only people who call themselves gamers are ones who are really into the hobby/industry. Otherwise, its just another thing that you do in your spare time

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Mario Cart took skill I don't care what they say lol!
    It really does to master it...These Japanese guys got serious skillz when im playing them online on Mario Kart 7 lol

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

25. Likes imINxile likes this post
    Apprentice
    PSN ID
    imINxile
    It really does to master it...These Japanese guys got serious skillz when im playing them online on Mario Kart 7 lol
    Had no idea that it was that competitive..gamers/check.

27. Likes DeviousOne likes this post
    Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Had no idea that it was that competitive..gamers/check.
    Bro $#@! gets real when your playing Mario Kart 7 online with Japanese gamers! LMAO

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    imINxile
    Bro $#@! gets real when your playing Mario Kart 7 online with Japanese gamers! LMAO
    Lol the real question is do you really compete? Be honest broseph..is it a lost cause..tell me you take a match or two...

30. Likes DeviousOne likes this post
    Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Lol the real question is do you really compete? Be honest broseph..is it a lost cause..tell me you take a match or two...
    $#@! I try usually i come in between 3 to 5 place in races of 8 people...LOL I just try not to come in last you lose ranking points when you come in last i think my wins are 2400 and my loses are almost 2400 as well LOL I maybe won less than 30 races online i rarely come in last cant say the same for my gf LOL but she def improved...

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    imINxile
    $#@! I try usually i come in between 3 to 5 place in races of 8 people...LOL I just try not to come in last you lose ranking points when you come in last i think my wins are 2400 and my loses are almost 2400 as well LOL I maybe won less than 30 races online i rarely come in last cant say the same for my gf LOL but she def improved...
    We will just say the gf is bringing your average down messin bro.. Kinda get the feeling she brings your average up.. Shame on you! . She's better isn't she?

Thread Information