Page 1 of 3 1 ... LastLast
    Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Items NintendoFirefox LogoPSN LogoWii BlackPaper MarioWiiUGran Turismo 53DSPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

What is your definition of a "Gamer?"

Browsing the forum and seeing various time where this topic comes up I think this would be the option to discuss this because the various ideas of what a gamer is from what I've seen have been hilarious, laughable, and contradicting.

Quick google search of the word gamer:

gam·er/ˈgāmər/
    Noun:
    A person who plays a game or games, typically a participant in a computer or role-playing game

Discuss =)
    Last edited by DeviousOne; 09-25-2012 at 20:42.

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

2. Likes RaY_210 likes this post
    Elite Sage
    Someone who plays games and has a genuine passion for all things gaming.

4. Likes The Black Wolf likes this post
    Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBettaKnow View Post
    Someone who plays games and has a genuine passion for all things gaming.
    Pretty much. Its also a person who is too mature to play Nintendo games. Ha ha just kidding. I had to throw that in there after reading that other thread in the Nintendo section. lol Seriously though somebody that has a passion for all things gaming regardless of the platform.
    Last edited by mistercrow; 09-25-2012 at 20:44.

Master Guru
    Items Bullet For My ValentineAvenged SevenfoldLed ZeppelinHIMRolling StonesSex PistolsPink FloydRed Hot Chili PeppersMetallicaLinkin ParkNirvanaSlipknot
    Can someone who only plays internet/smartphone games actively be called a gamer?

Learn to do signatures here

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Someone who games as a hobbyist/enthusiast.

8. Likes MjW likes this post
    Elite Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by spyrde View Post
    Can someone who only plays internet/smartphone games actively be called a gamer?
    I wouldn't call them a gamer in the same way most of us on this forum are, they are still someone who enjoys games though so i suppose they are, to an extent though. If that makes sense?

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Items NintendoFirefox LogoPSN LogoWii BlackPaper MarioWiiUGran Turismo 53DSPS3 Slim
    How about if you play FB social media games like Farmville?

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Elite Sage
    I wouldn't call them gamers if they exclusively play those. They're more for time wasting aren't they?

Saying that. Aren't all games for time wasting?

ストライク・ザ・ブラッド
    PSN ID
    xAkiRo
    Items YunaLuluBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-12-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XIII-2AtlusFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy V
    People who play video games for fun when they are bored.

PSN: xThAkIdJxYx Cod Psn:xxAkiRo
    ‎"It's not important to have a long life, the important thing is to have a happy life with your beloved ones"

13. Likes RaY_210 likes this post
    Veteran

PSN ID
    Cybertox
    An experienced person in playing games which require skills. Those games are eventually harder and take more time to learn and even more to master. They also require more knowledge and develop significant skills over time.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by spyrde View Post
    Hell yeah imho. Just because such games don't appeal to our tastes in general here at PSU, doesn't mean a dude who is into such games isn't a gamer. Some people here don't like handhelds, some don't like PC and there may be some who don't like consoles...If the smartphone/web browser gamer prefers those platforms I don't think he can be disqualified as a gamer.

16. Likes RaY_210 likes this post
    Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybertox View Post
    An experienced person in playing games which require skills. Those games are eventually harder and take more time to learn and even more to master. They also require more knowledge and develop significant skills over time.
    Mario Kart requires skills and time to master all the tracks and techniques. So would that would be a "gamer" game?

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Veteran

PSN ID
    Cybertox
    Quote Originally Posted by DeviousOne View Post
    Mario Kart requires skills and time to master all the tracks and techniques. So would that would be a "gamer" game?
    No. Gran Turismo would be considerate as a racing game which requires real skills.

Elite Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post
    Hell yeah imho. Just because such games don't appeal to our tastes in general here at PSU, doesn't mean a dude who is into such games isn't a gamer. Some people here don't like handhelds, some don't like PC and there may be some who don't like consoles...If the smartphone/web browser gamer prefers those platforms I don't think he can be disqualified as a gamer.
    I suppose you've got a point. Some people used to play Runescape like there was no tomorrow. Then you got games like Quake Live, so yeah. I guess they are!

Quote Originally Posted by DeviousOne View Post

Or Super Smash Bro's Mele. You can learn how to play in a few minutes, takes a damn long time to master it though

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Those games are eventually harder and take more time to learn and even more to master. They also require more knowledge and develop significant skills over time.
    Based on your definition Mario Kart would be classified as a gamers game?

It takes time to master it and learn all the tricks and speed boost along with the power slides to maintain speed on turns...

Its not a gamers game because its a Nintendo game?

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Marcgear
    Items PlayStation
    See for me the difference between casual and core is i went out and spent £425 to play my games and that was the only reason i bought it unlike a phone/tablet that has a gaming(of sorts) option. I have no problem with casuals but im fed up of fools at work showing me there highest score on Temple Run.
    New member of the PS4 club

Elite Sage
    No. Gran Turismo would be considerate as a racing game which requires real skills.
    hmm... Ok. But GT compared to a game such as Project C.A.R.S is quite casual... Anyway, Mario Kart does require real skills, have you seen how good some people get at that game, they make green shells look like red shells they are so accurate. I guess that takes no skill though?

Quote Originally Posted by marcsony View Post
    See for me the difference between casual and core is i went out and spent £425 to play my games and that was the only reason i bought it unlike a phone/tablet that has a gaming(of sorts) option. I have no problem with casuals but im fed up of fools at work showing me there highest score on Temple Run.
    So it comes down to how much money is spent? What does that say for you when people spend double that on just GPU? Does that make them more of a gamer than yourself?

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Quote Originally Posted by marcsony View Post
    I 100% agree with there being different types of gamers casual and core.

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Veteran

PSN ID
    Cybertox
    hmm... Ok. But GT compared to a game such as Project C.A.R.S is quite casual... Anyway, Mario Kart does require real skills, have you seen how good some people get at that game, they make green shells look like red shells they are so accurate. I guess that takes no skill though?

So it comes down to how much money is spent? What does that say for you when people spend double that on just GPU? Does that make them more of a gamer than yourself?
    There is a big difference in skills between a game which was developed in a small amount of time and mainly focused for kids and a realistic driving simulator which was developed for a really long time and very accurately. Project cars require more in depth skills but doesnt make gran turismo be on the same level as mario kart.

Elite Sage
    No. But by your logic, it means those playing GT are lesser gamers than those playing P.Cars

Veteran

PSN ID
    Cybertox
    No. But by your logic, it means those playing GT are lesser gamers than those playing P.Cars
    There are no lesser gamers. There are casual people who like playing all type of games and just want to waste some time or have fun. Then there are gamers and professional gamers like those koreans who compete in tournaments and earn money.

Elite Sage
    So are you competing for money, or are you a casual gamer? I suppose by your definition i'm a casual gamer as i don't compete for money and i do play to waste time...

Veteran

PSN ID
    Cybertox
    So are you competing for money, or are you a casual gamer? I suppose by your definition i'm a casual gamer as i don't compete for money and i do play to waste time...
    If you have played some games which required real skills and took time learning and improving yourself were at the end you were very capable in that type of game you are a gamer, even if you also enjoy playing games like mario kart or zelda.

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    Sir_Scud
    Items Naughty DogFinal Fantasy IVDark SoulsGuerrilla Games
    To me it's simple, I try not to dilute the definition into specific types of gamers or games they play. A gamer is a person who likes to play video games on a console or pc as a hobby. Someone who might keep up with videos, reviews, etc. and likes to talk about new releases coming out. A gamer is someone who genuinely likes video games and being that it is a hobby, one year from now they will still be playing games.

Master Guru
    Items Protect yourselfUser name style
    I think a gamer is anyone who plays video games. The only difference is the different crowds of gamers.. You have two sets of gamers and that's hardcore and casual gamers.The only reason i divide these are because the difference between the games they like and that's it but inside we're all gamers. I don't define anyone as real gamers or fake gamers like some people do. I don't care if your playing hello kitty needs a bath or uncharted 3 As long as your playing video games and supporting the video game industry your a gamer in my book. Gaming4life!
    -silver

Remember that i'm going to die is the best way I know to avoid trap of thinking you have something to lose, you're already naked, there's no reason not to follow your heart.

31. Likes BBK.. , RaY_210 likes this post

Thread Information