Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 3 1 ... LastLast

All the issues that I have with psu.com (feedback not working)

Sadly I have to abandon this site, which has been my primary source for Sony and PS news over the last couple of years due to a lot of problems that have become worst over the last few days.
    I'm posting just so you now about this and hopefuly fix it to prevent more users leaving the site.

1- The worst of all is the gorillanation.com tracking method. It takes almost 1 minute to get a response from geo.gorillanation.com, which means that every page, news, forum post etc that I visit takes 1 extra minute to load. That's enough to send me away. There are FAR better methods to track visits and get info about users, please move away from this abomination!
    This issue also means that I won't be reading responses from this thread, so feel free to contact me directly via email if you want me to read something.
    I know I can block this on my end, but that's just me and it won't help others.

2- The comments system is outdated and slow. There are 2 extremely simple methods to implement that will improve the commenting experience by 1000%: Disqus, or Facebook Comments directly.

3- The login form doesn't seem to remember me even if I check the box, and the username field doesn't clear when clicked, which is something minimal but it contributes to the experience...

4- The RSS Feed only shows an excerpt of the post content, which is something that worked a lot of time ago to attract visitors to the site so they continue reading the text. Now it's outdated and uncomfortable. The feed needs to show the full text, and encourage visits and comments via quality content (which you guys have!) and key phrases or questions on the end of the text.

I'm a web designer. I would be glad to contribute to the site in any way I can to make it better

Thanks for reading.
    Last edited by subwaydesign; 10-02-2012 at 21:38. Reason: The removed part seemed a little aggresive, it wasn't!

Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I don't know about you, but pages take me seconds.

PS4 has little to no competition.

PSU Staff Writer
    PSN ID
    frasmataz
    o_0 I gotta agree with mickice I have no issues with my pages loading instantly. I also despise facebook comment systems, It is just daft to not have a singled out comment system for users of the actual site.

Pretty sure the log in not remembering is some setting in your own internet options, who uses RSS :S

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    If you login to the front page it doesnt sign you in for the forum.
    If you sign into the forum t doesnt sign you in for the front page.
    Maybe thats what he meant?
    That user name field not clearing has pissed me off for ages sometimes it does clear other times it doen't

Most of th time its decent speed for me but I blockall the ****e on this site with noscript.
    Last edited by keefy; 10-03-2012 at 02:10.
    This is a local shop for local people you have no business here!

I finally blocked gorillanation on the w7 hosts file, and now I can browse the site at nice speeds. Seems like gorillanation doesn't like people that are not near their servers.

The login system not remembering me refers to the site/forum as two different instances, sorry for not being too clear about it.

RSS is a great resource, and as a web designer I can tell you that while it's not the most important aspect of a website, any decent site at least has it and somehow promotes it. I read news from about 10 sites every day, RSS makes it extremely easy and fast to see everything I want to see at a glance and in one location.

On the comments matter, I saw a LOT of users complain about this system right on some news. If you don't want FB comments, you have disqus, which is an almost unbeatable choice, full of options and it can be implemented in seconds. There's just no reason to not move forward where it's possible and free.

I don't want to sound like a know-it-all, that's not the case. I just work with this stuff every day so I try to stay informed about what makes the user experience better overall. Which in the end, is what the site must do (apart, like I said, from good content) to keep the users coming back. That = profit!
    Last edited by subwaydesign; 10-04-2012 at 06:30.

Dedicated Member
    The admin are **** at responding to any 'contact us' emails too.

Ultimate Veteran
    Items DreamcastPlayStationNintendoBullyGTA ClaudeFinal Fantasy IX
    Moved thread to the Feedback & Suggestions subforum.

3DS Friend Code: 1349-4916-2054

Elite Sage
    Items AC/DCRolling StonesAtari 2600GTA CJBattlefield 3Final Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIINESSNESEvertonUser name style
    Still get the 500 Error every now and again

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Items Joker (limited ICON)
    Quote Originally Posted by John25 View Post
    Still get the 500 Error every now and again

And you will... it is just an issue that is unavoidable. Usually happens when the servers are performing routine maintenance cycles, or backing up.

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Quote Originally Posted by nofear01 View Post
    The admin are **** at responding to any 'contact us' emails too.
    If the folks on "contact us" aren't getting your emails, send me the copy and I will ensure the right folks see it. I will look into the email thing though.. could be that it is outdated.

PSU Trophy Manager
    PSN ID
    Faenix1
    Items Final Fantasy X-2Final Fantasy XIIFangNoctisLightningFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIINaughty DogFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIPS3 Slim
    Disqus isnt the greatest solution for comments, UNLESS you can change how it looks and that. I hate when sites change over to it.

Sig&Av by Kuro

Summoning (Destiny of) spirits as I venture back into (FFX) Spira. With a bit of "Catching 'em All!" on the side.

PS4 Preorders: WatchDogsWitcher3DyingLight

PSN
    , XBL, Steam: Faenix1 - 3DS Friend Code: 3883-6299-4363
    Phat PS3: February 2008 - June 1st, 2011, Slim PS3: June 3rd 2011 - Present
    PS4, 3DSxl: November 2013 - Present
    PSVita December 2013 - Present

Ultimate Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuguy View Post
    And you will... it is just an issue that is unavoidable. Usually happens when the servers are performing routine maintenance cycles, or backing up.
    It only lasts for 5-10 minutes. Usually between 12:00 and 3:00 AM.

Not a huge issue since most people would be asleep by then.

The thing with disqus is that it's full of options and is very easy and fast to implement. The looks may not be the best, I agree. But it certainly isn't ugly.

IntenseDebate looks good also. That's another nice option.
    Last edited by subwaydesign; 10-04-2012 at 20:45.

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Never heard of disqus.
    Last edited by keefy; 10-22-2012 at 15:02.
    This is a local shop for local people you have no business here!

Veteran

PSN ID
    Cybertox
    Man all the issues i experience with this site, PSU is the website in which i experience the biggest amount of issues.

When starting writing in a post everything is capital even though its turned off on my keyboard.
    After posting the whole browser freezes and has to be restarted or it just redirects me to an error page.
    Text not showing up in the post.
    Quick reply not working and when going to advanced mode everything freezes.
    Sometimes certain pages take ages to load, some other ones load in one sec.
    Pages being loaded with a f***** up interface.
    Internet connection suddenly getting reset.
    When posting links into the video embedding tool they dont show up, copy paste isnt detected.
    Loading process of a page freezes on a certain progress.

I have a lot of issues on this site and the worst thing is that admins and mods wont do anything, they ignore your feedback or promise something which they afterwards dont even do. Always the same excuse of not having a dedicated programmer, well then get one. Literally they just dont care!
    Im sorry i dont intend to be rude but i am really angry right now.
    Last edited by Cybertox; 10-22-2012 at 18:21.

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybertox View Post
    Man all the issues i experience with this site, PSU is the website in which i experience the biggest amount of issues.

When starting writing in a post everything is capital even though its turned off on my keyboard.
    After posting the whole browser freezes and has to be restarted or it just redirects me to an error page.
    Text not showing up in the post.
    Quick reply not working and when going to advanced mode everything freezes.
    Sometimes certain pages take ages to load, some other ones load in one sec.
    Pages being loaded with a f***** up interface.
    Internet connection suddenly getting reset.
    When posting links into the video embedding tool they dont show up, copy paste isnt detected.
    Loading process of a page freezes on a certain progress.

I have a lot of issues on this site and the worst thing is that admins and mods wont do anything, they ignore your feedback or promise something which they afterwards dont even do. Always the same excuse of not having a dedicated programmer, well then get one. Literally they just dont care!
    Im sorry i dont intend to be rude but i am really angry right now.

If I had to say, and you won't like this answer, but I'd say it is on your end with nearly ALL of those problems.

I get on PSU hours and hours a day as would be expected. On my work PC, my home pC, using Tapatalk on the iPad, on my Android browsers, etc... the ONLY issue I run into from time to time is the server 500 errors when the databases are backing up. I use FF, IE, Chrome, Safari mobile, etc.. all at random times on random PC's for the sole purpose of trying to catch some issues that other members might see. I have not had a single instance of anything you mention.

Can ANYONE else say they get the same things as Cyber here?

Not to be rude to you man, but IMO it sounds mostly like you have local PC issues.

Ultimate Veteran
    The only issue I get right now is that when I want to post a screenshot or video, the pop-up where you need to enter the URL appears behind the posts until I scroll up to one with another video. I'm using Google Chrome.

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Quote Originally Posted by Blacksite View Post
    The only issue I get right now is that when I want to post a screenshot or video, the pop-up where you need to enter the URL appears behind the posts until I scroll up to one with another video. I'm using Google Chrome.
    I wonder if the inconsistencies here come down to graphics cards/drivers?

I haven't had that happen.. from time to time, the avatars in my activity stream (user cp) display too big, but nothing like you are mentioning.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    Quote Originally Posted by Blacksite View Post
    Same here, it will still let me paste the link and then I hit enter to apply the picture or video. And sometimes it just works as it should.

PSU Community Manager
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    For about 2 weeks, when I try and post an image, I click ok after pasting in the url but it doesn't post. I see the cursor move back into my post but nothing gets posted. Sometimes it works. I just do it manually now. That's my only issue.
    Click HERE to create your mercenary and get exclusive in-game items.

THE GREY CARDINAL (eWar Merc) - COVERT SUBTERFUGE (Minmatar Scout)
    CEO of PSU GHOST SYNDICATE - PSU in-game channel: PSU GHOST

Veteran

PSN ID
    Cybertox
    If I had to say, and you won't like this answer, but I'd say it is on your end with nearly ALL of those problems.

I get on PSU hours and hours a day as would be expected. On my work PC, my home pC, using Tapatalk on the iPad, on my Android browsers, etc... the ONLY issue I run into from time to time is the server 500 errors when the databases are backing up. I use FF, IE, Chrome, Safari mobile, etc.. all at random times on random PC's for the sole purpose of trying to catch some issues that other members might see. I have not had a single instance of anything you mention.

Can ANYONE else say they get the same things as Cyber here?

Not to be rude to you man, but IMO it sounds mostly like you have local PC issues.
    Do you live in a cave? Do you know that there are other countries besides America? Its for sure that the issues are not on my end. Why can i have issues with web browsing if i have the following?:

Computer: Alienware X51
    i7 3.4 ghz
    1 GB Nvidia GTX 555
    8 gbs RAM
    1 TB harddrive 80% empty
    Windows 7 64bit with latest updates

Programs:
    Latest version of Chrome.
    All adobe flash and java stuff fully updated to the latest versions and all priorities set to high.
    No additional programs which could slow down psu.

Internet Connection:
    Cablecom (most famous internet provider in Switzerland)
    Computer connected to LAN ( no wifi weak signal strength crap )
    Download speed 100 000 kbs ( special fiber power cables to maximize and maintain speed )
    Upload Speed 50 000 kbs.

Looks like there is absolutely nothing bad on my side concerning hardware and software.

Cuguy, i really respect you as a Admin but all this incredible amounts of issues are pissing me really off, so much you could not even believe me cause psu is one of my most visited sites. You are the one who is responsible for all this stuff, dont forget that.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    For me I cant post a sig anymore, cant use emoticons anymore, cant use the like feature and cant buy icons from the store anymore either. So basically I cant use any of the forum features. Being a PS3 site I would think there would be better support for the PS3 browser. But thats just me I guess.

23. Likes Cybertox wishes they had posted this first.
    Ultimate Veteran
    the avatars in my activity stream (user cp) display too big, but nothing like you are mentioning.
    I think I mentioned that to you before. Only happens with certain members though.

Quote Originally Posted by radgamer420 View Post
    For me I cant post a sig anymore, cant use emoticons anymore, cant use the like feature and cant buy icons from the store anymore either. So basically I cant use any of the forum features. Being a PS3 site I would think there would be better support for the PS3 browser. But thats just me I guess.
    The PS3 browser has never worked well with the majority of websites.
    Last edited by Black; 10-22-2012 at 22:10.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Cybertox, I'm not having any of those problems.

Veteran

PSN ID
    Cybertox
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion View Post
    I'm not having any of those problems, Cybertox.
    I am happy for you.

Thread Information