Latest PSU headlines:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast
    PS Unchained
    Items Protect yourselfNew User TitleTitle Style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by SHAZZMAZZ View Post
    Well i still wanna get the PS4 but im disappointed about it reading all the comments it looks like i going have to sell all my old games & consoles i dont want to because there r sum awesome games on the old consoles and im not going to buy from psn store i payed once im not paying again.

Anyways thanks everyone for ur comments

im going to have a litte cry lol not really lol but i do feel like it lol
    Err why do you need to sell them? Just because you have a ps4 doesnt mean they will suddenly break down.

Thank you itachi

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Quote Originally Posted by daLa View Post
    PS3 maybe, PSOne & PS2 no way.
    Why?
    Quote Originally Posted by fuzzyreactor
    Nothing more exciting than bringing home a brand new console and watching a download screen for a hour.

yay, next gen!

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    SHAZZMAZZ
    Items PS3 Slim
    No chille i mean i want the ps4 but if the ps4 doesn't play ps1,2,3 games then i wanna keep the ps2 & ps3 to play the old games but the only problem is i dont have the room to keep them and i dont want to keep setting up the ps2 to play ps2 games same for the ps3 so when the ps4 comes out i sell my old games & console i be upset but really the consoles i want is the ps4 to match with my ps vita

i got the ps vita now just need to get the ps4

i think i'll sell my old games and consoles on gumtree for cheap price i really need more space in my bedroom

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronSOLDIER View Post
    Why would they need to emulate PS3? We don't know what's in the PS4 yet but it might be compatible out the gate yet, kinda how new graphic cards are compatible with 90s games etc.
    True, but all devs that have the alpha kits say that its an AMD APU not a cell processor, so there goes that theory out the window. Sony is never going back to the cell in consoles ever. Entire generation after, devs still have trouble programming with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by daLa View Post
    PS3 maybe, PSOne & PS2 no way.
    Again with this? Didn't you read the first page?
    Quote Originally Posted by SHAZZMAZZ View Post
    No chille i mean i want the ps4 but if the ps4 doesn't play ps1,2,3 games then i wanna keep the ps2 & ps3 to play the old games but the only problem is i dont have the room to keep them and i dont want to keep setting up the ps2 to play ps2 games same for the ps3 so when the ps4 comes out i sell my old games & console i be upset but really the consoles i want is the ps4 to match with my ps vita

i got the ps vita now just need to get the ps4

i think i'll sell my old games and consoles on gumtree for cheap price i really need more space in my bedroom
    Wow, that is kinda depressing so sell all your collection you worked so hard on. I say wait until next year and see what the ps4 offers and then make a decision
    Last edited by Itachi; 09-29-2012 at 19:51.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    I dunno, I can see them getting PS3 compatibility somehow, not through emulation.
    Nothing more exciting than bringing home a brand new console and watching a download screen for a hour.

yay, next gen!

Elite Sage
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DS
    I dunno, I can see them getting PS3 compatibility somehow, not through emulation.
    I'm 100% sure PS4 will have full PS3 emulation through hardware. I have no doubt actually. Don't think Sony wants even more bad publicity after removing PS2 BC and adding it through emulation JUST to sell those games through the store. Very, VERY cheap movement by Sony to "reduce costs".
    |My Playfire|My Deviantart|
    - SIG BY MY SISTER-

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    Gaikai game streaming exclusive for ps+ subscribers

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorzilla View Post
    I'm 100% sure PS4 will have full PS3 emulation through hardware. I have no doubt actually. Don't think Sony wants even more bad publicity after removing PS2 BC and adding it through emulation JUST to sell those games through the store. Very, VERY cheap movement by Sony to "reduce costs".
    I think it was more to do with getting HD Remasters, the games on the Store have altered game code to work, which is why they can't get discs to work, kinda like how PCSX2 is done on a title by title basis and probably why we aren't seeing hundreds of PS2 games on the Store, because they need to do each individual game.

Regardless, I'm replacing all my PS1/2 discs with digital versions now, so it made no difference to me. I can replace my PAL collection with NTSC without having to import a console for the first time.

yay, next gen!

Dedicated Member
    BC is an ever increasing nightmare for Sony as the tech changes so much they effectively need to build a PS1/2/3 into the new model. Its maddness because it holds back the development of the future console due to cost contraints. Which is why they removed it from the later PS3 models. Now thats been done its fairwell to BC. Digital is a much better way to allow people to replay older games with enhanced features as they demand. The main detractors of BC as far as I can see are the hoarders of old games. Fair play to you hedging your bets on old games being worth tens if not hundreds of thousands negating the need for you to actaully get a pension. But the reality is that thousand of people have mint condition copies of Final fantasy VII and as most of these games are now digital your copy is effectively worth nothing......mine included (the one game I did keep, true love.....)

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    SHAZZMAZZ
    Items PS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by itachi73378 View Post
    True, but all devs that have the alpha kits say that its an AMD APU not a cell processor, so there goes that theory out the window. Sony is never going back to the cell in consoles ever. Entire generation after, devs still have trouble programming with it.

Again with this? Didn't you read the first page?

Wow, that is kinda depressing so sell all your collection you worked so hard on. I say wait until next year and see what the ps4 offers and then make a decision
    Ya im going to wait just before the ps4 comes out, its funny i was playing lots of my favourite ps1 games on my ps3 a lot has changed over the years
    I hope that the ps4 plays ps1.2.3 games coz then i can just sell my old console i no sony can do it but will it happen i wish i bought the 60GB ps3 i no that console play ps1.2 games so they can do it
    Last edited by SHAZZMAZZ; 09-30-2012 at 00:49. Reason: Spelling wrong

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    D3seeker
    Items PS3 Slim
    PS1 emulation is a no friggin brainer. It's been there since PS2 and in now not only software emulated, but you can actually use the disc. Yeah that's gonna be there, anyone who thinks otherwise must not even play PS1 games on their PS3. I only wish we could get actual disc-based PS2 emulation in the PS4 though that seems a stretch, especially with all this HD remake hoopla. PS3, no way, they would literally have to include the cell/ PS3 ss mainboard and it's not likely they would risk driving up the cost like that.

Sucks for people with a collection of awesome but 'obscure' PS2 games that no way in a million years even get reworked and uploaded to PSN or Gaiki (whatever their called) for the matter. The day my PS2 dies and finding a new PS2 in near impossible will be a sad day indeed.

12. Likes Itachi wishes they had posted this first.

Backwards compatibility is dead.....you already saw it happen with the ps3 later on and with song getting into the cloud gaming business there will be no need to include the feature let alone take away from future profits

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Yeah, I don't see backwards compatibility happening with the new console, if they do it will be in the form of Gaikai cloud gaming...if you are seriously that into your old collection then just hold on to your old console, how hard is this? When the NES went to the SNES they didn't have backwards compatibility and survived just fine...having BC in the console to me is just a waste of time/money on Sony's part, having it removed from the system will only benefit us gamers by giving us a more powerful console at a more reasonable price point...

PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Quote Originally Posted by D3seeker View Post
    PS1 emulation is a no friggin brainer. It's been there since PS2 and in now not only software emulated, but you can actually use the disc.
    Yep, its 100% software emulated, however not 100% of PS1 games do work. PS2 mustve had SOME hardware emulation because it was 100% BC as far as I can remember.

Quote Originally Posted by Bklynsnativeson View Post
    Backwards compatibility is dead.....you already saw it happen with the ps3 later on and with song getting into the cloud gaming business there will be no need to include the feature let alone take away from future profits
    No idea why you'd say that, emulation is far from dead with the recent launch of PS2 Classics and the new streaming service could easily be used for delivering PS1, 2 and 3 games over a network using a PS3 on the other end and streaming the image to your PS4/your TV. Very easily done, just like how you can play PS3 games on Vita via remote play, all its doing is using the Vita's screen as a monitor rather than your TV.

yay, next gen!

Veteran
    Items User name styleE3PS3 Slim
    I think they'll just keep releasing PS1, PS2 collections but it won't be true backwards compatible. It's an opportunity to make money by making people buy games again. I would highly doubt we'd see PS3 compatibility, but who knows.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Yep, its 100% software emulated, however not 100% of PS1 games do work. PS2 mustve had SOME hardware emulation because it was 100% BC as far as I can remember.
    The PS2 sure did, the I/O processor in the PS2 is a MIPS CPU similar to what was in the PS1:

I/O Processor
    • I/O Memory: 2 MB
    • CPU Core: Original PlayStation CPU (MIPS R3000A clocked at 33.8688 MHz or 37.5 MHz)
    • Automatically underclocked to 33.8688 MHz to achieve hardware backwards compatibility with original PlayStation format games.
    • Sub Bus: 32-bit
    • Connection to: SPU and CD/DVD controller.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    I agree that PS3 games will work on the PS4. But PS1 and PS2 games will probably remain digital only releases for a price. There is honestly no reason to make the PS4 backwards compatible with PS1 and PS2 games.

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyClaw View Post
    Yeah, I don't see backwards compatibility happening with the new console, if they do it will be in the form of Gaikai cloud gaming...
    That would actually be pretty cool. Could work for ps1 and ps2 games on slower internet as well as wouldn't have to stream a HD image. It could also work in a way that you put in the ps1/2 game you have into the console which then lets your stream the game. Uses the disc as a validation of sorts.

PSU Trophy Manager
    PSN ID
    Faenix1
    Items Final Fantasy X-2Final Fantasy XIIFangNoctisLightningFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIINaughty DogFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIPS3 Slim
    If PS4 has 2 and 3 BC, I'll buy it. If it just has 3 BC, I'll wait. If it has no BC, Ill wait longer till "that game" shows up. Though right now I dont really "dig" the rumors for next gen.

Sig&Av by Kuro

Summoning (Destiny of) spirits as I venture back into (FFX) Spira. With a bit of "Catching 'em All!" on the side.

PS4 Preorders: WatchDogsWitcher3DyingLight

PSN
    , XBL, Steam: Faenix1 - 3DS Friend Code: 3883-6299-4363
    Phat PS3: February 2008 - June 1st, 2011, Slim PS3: June 3rd 2011 - Present
    PS4, 3DSxl: November 2013 - Present
    PSVita December 2013 - Present

21. Likes AaronSOLDIER wishes they had posted this first.
    YouTube Editor
    Items Tommy VercettiUser name styleModern Warfare 3
    It would be a HUGE selling point, but after the PS3 I am very sceptical on if Sony will do it.

I sure hope so!

8 years and counting!

Super Elite
    Im buying it no matter what. I bought thevps1, ps2, ps3, and vita at launch.

I get to excited for consoles at launch.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Items NintendoFirefox LogoPSN LogoWii BlackPaper MarioWiiUGran Turismo 53DSPS3 Slim
    I would imagine that the PS4 would be able to play ps3 games if they used a blu ray drive on the PS4 as well. Wishful thinking on my part in regards that they use cloud gaming to play ps1 and ps2 games the entire libraries of each and charge a monthly subscription like 15 bucks a month for online services and the ability to play all those games.

That would be awesome!

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    I think this is why they made PS1 and now PS2 games run off of 100% BC, so that it could work on future consoles. We'll have to wait and see but right now the ground work for these emulators working without HW emulation is already there especially for PS1.

yay, next gen!

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by Sajuuk Khar View Post
    That would actually be pretty cool. Could work for ps1 and ps2 games on slower internet as well as wouldn't have to stream a HD image. It could also work in a way that you put in the ps1/2 game you have into the console which then lets your stream the game. Uses the disc as a validation of sorts.
    Exactly! I think what people are failing to grasp is to have PS3 BC on the PS4/Orbis it would require the same type hardware (Cell BE based) that is in the PS3, which would just drive the cost of the new system up (which is a bad thing), and since all the rumors are point to a new architecture, I can pretty much guarantee the only BC of a PS3 game you are going to see would be over the Gaikai service unless they port the game over to the PS4 and re-release it...

Dedicated Member
    This is what I think :
    ps1 emulation YES! (We already have that on the ps3, so it's just a matter of porting the emulator)

ps2 emulation Maybe. Sony hired ps2 debug engineers recently, plus way back when ( 2008 or 09) they were looking for coders and people wanting to work on ps1/2/3 emulation. Modern pcs (even average ones) can emulate the ps2 quite decently - a high end rig can also make the emulation smoother, prettier etc. - so it's not a matter of 'is it possible' anymore, especially since all rumors point to a more PC like architecture for the ps4. It's Sony's own decision whether or not it wants to shaft its most loyal fans (the ones that'd care about the Playstation Nation's classics) by excluding a complete emulator and selling us HD collections.

ps3 NOT A CHANCE! Reason being that traditional pcs can't even emulate the CELL BE effictively, let alone the RSX, Rambus XDR RAM, and all the other lesser known internals of the ps3, plus Sony can cash in big if it updates the popular ps3 titles to 1080p 60fps - 3d would be the cherry on top - and sells them to us in collections and on the PSN.

Oh and btw, i'm talking about 'traditional' emulation (read : doesn't require a net connection or a cloud service). Sony will probably offer its entire(or as much as it possibly can) catalog through Gaikai.
    Last edited by PS3-The Ultimate Machine; 11-18-2012 at 23:54.

Thread Information