Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 3 1 ... LastLast
    Apprentice
    PSN ID
    SHAZZMAZZ
    Items PS3 Slim

Will the Play Station 4 play ps1,ps2,ps3 games

I really want to get the PS4 but will it play ps1 ps2 ps3 games coz i really like my old games but i wanna sell my older consoles to make more room i dont really see y we should make SONY more money if they not going to help us out i dont see y they won't make money from making the PS4 play older game i would pay extra for the PS4 to play older games.

i got the money but not the room to keep the older consoles please help us out SONY PLEASE

Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    The way its probably gonna go down, is that it WON'T play PS1 or PS2 games because Sony is now selling them through the store... maybe even PS3 games because so many titles are available digitally now, but I think there would be too much backlash from that. I say it will, sadly, only play PS3 and PS4 games

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Items NintendoFirefox LogoPSN LogoWii BlackPaper MarioWiiUGran Turismo 53DSPS3 Slim
    From what ive read it wont be backwards compatible with PS3 games most like will be digitial or cloud gaming with the PS4 thats all assumption on my part lol

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

ストライク・ザ・ブラッド
    PSN ID
    xAkiRo
    Items YunaLuluBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-11-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XIII-2AtlusFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy V
    That be the ultimate playstation. Sadly they won't put them all in. The cost would be too much for them.

PSN: xThAkIdJxYx Cod Psn:xxAkiRo
    ‎"It's not important to have a long life, the important thing is to have a happy life with your beloved ones"

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    PS1 and PS2 Classics will since they are software emulated. Most PS1 discs as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDug13
    I want Naughty Dog to explore new game genres, not regurgitate cinematic corridor shooters for another generation.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    I seriously don't care if it is not backwards compatible, other than popping in an old game for novelty purposes I have never really played any old game discs on my PS3. To me it is just an added expense that is not worth it, if they really wanted to do backwards compatibility for the PS4/Orbis from this point on they should use Gaikai, the cloud-based game service company that they bought out back in July.

PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    CloudStrife37
    It'll definitely be able to play PSone discs, and PSone and PS2 classics downloadable games. It's too simple and cheap not to include as a selling point. It's obviously a desired feature, as it's a selling point of the Vita, PSP, and PS3. So for something as simple as being able to ready those tiny PS games, I think it'll stay compatible.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkVincent07 View Post
    The way its probably gonna go down, is that it WON'T play PS1 or PS2 games because Sony is now selling them through the store... maybe even PS3 games because so many titles are available digitally now, but I think there would be too much backlash from that. I say it will, sadly, only play PS3 and PS4 games
    In fact it is the complete OPPOSITE of what you said. Basically ps1 and ps2 compatibility is a guaranteed feature. On the other hand NO WAY IN HELL it can play PS3 games

Why? Emulation my dear Watson

If PS3 can successfully emulate ps2 games why wont a 6-10x power machine? PSone can be emulated by phones now so its not even arguable.
    PS3 can't be emulated by even the highest end PCs
    Last edited by Itachi; 09-28-2012 at 19:08.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by itachi73378 View Post
    PS3 can't be emulate by even the highest end PCs
    There are videos on youtube of GOW3 played on a PC. If they were faked or not - I don't know. I remember framerate numbers and all that stuff on the right upper screen area.

But nontheless, I'm convinced that it will maybe play PS1 games, maybe (but I guess not) PS2 games and no PS3 games. I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't have any backwards compatibility.

PSU Trophy Manager
    PSN ID
    Faenix1
    Items Final Fantasy X-2Final Fantasy XIIFangNoctisLightningFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIINaughty DogFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIPS3 Slim
    PS4 needs BC to even get my attention, infact only reason I got the PS3 when I did was cause they were going to take PS2 BC away. I ran out and bought a PS3 ASAP.

Sig&Av by Kuro

Sometimes streaming Watch_Dogs

PS4 Preorders:
    FarCry4MetroReduxDragonAge3BatmanAKWitcher3DyingLightOrder1886Uncharted4

PSN
    , XBL, Steam: Faenix1 - 3DS Friend Code: 3883-6299-4363
    Phat PS3: February 2008 - June 1st, 2011, Slim PS3: June 3rd 2011 - Present
    PS4, 3DSxl: November 2013 - Present
    PSVita December 2013 - Present

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Maybe they should just make a SoC (System on a Chip) solution. That way, for the people who must have it you have an expansion board you can install on the new machine allowing for hardware PS1/PS2/PS3 backwards compatibility, that way it doesn't drive the price of the system up for people like me who could care less for backwards compatibility.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by MBS D@v!d View Post
    There are videos on youtube of GOW3 played on a PC. If they were faked or not - I don't know. I remember framerate numbers and all that stuff on the right upper screen area.

But nontheless, I'm convinced that it will maybe play PS1 games, maybe (but I guess not) PS2 games and no PS3 games. I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't have any backwards compatibility.
    That will be from the debug units from the devs themselves. I don't believe for a second that the PC can emulate the SPUs in the cell at the same level of performance and efficiency

Master Guru
    Items Baby ChocoboPlayStationUser name style
    eeehhh, I don't know about that Itachi. Usually all computer games even if you were to port over a PS3 game to computer, while on the computer can run at a much greater resolution. Not only that, but it wouldn't be that hard to rework a PS3 game to fit onto a PS3, however a PC onto a PS3 console would be more of a challenge. even with mid-range PC cards and reprograming any PS3 game would definitely run 10x better on a PC. understand that when the PS3 released the console was already a bottle-neck. And to be honest so far PC games have run more efficient compared to PS3 games and I am sure a lot of it has to do with the easy to develop for as well as the ram factor.

Also, I believe it would have been in Sony's best interest to actually use a proper CPU and integrated GPU rather then this cell processor crap which by the way was also VERY EXPENSIVE for what it does Vs. if they used a proper CPU+GPU, honestly they shouldn't have went the IBM route since they were pushing blu-ray.

as for some people that want PS3 BC, if they wont do it but you want it, expect to then pay well over $600 for such an integrated system, it's not going to happen unless they somehow can emulate it cheaply and if that turns you off of gaming than bummer, move along.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    But I'm not talking about porting. I'm talking about pure software emulation like the ps1 and ps2 games run on ps3. Even the ps2 emulation is not 100% perfect (hence only select titles are available on the store). Emulation requires a BARE MINIMUM of 2-3x power of the machine you want to emulate, and you think that conventional PCs can emulate the bandwidths of XDR RAM and CELL?

I think not

Master Guru
    But I'm not talking about porting. I'm talking about pure software emulation like the ps1 and ps2 games run on ps3. Even the ps2 emulation is not 100% perfect (hence only select titles are available on the store). Emulation requires a BARE MINIMUM of 2-3x power of the machine you want to emulate, and you think that conventional PCs can emulate the bandwidths of XDR RAM and CELL?

I think not
    actually yes I do, I believe a current mid-range PC is capable of running any PS3 game at 720p, mind you that midrange can run games a bit higher than 1080p and high range PC such as PC's running BF3 surpasses the PS3 by a good margin. if it's not mid-range than it's definitely high range that can. regardless, current PC CPU's and GPU's mid/high range, mid- possible, high 100% definitely.

Do I think mid-range PC's are capable of running PS3 emulated games right now? YES. the difficult part is making the damn software.

as for only certain titles being in the store, fine but that software can be patched and they usually do make a patch for it.
    Last edited by Bigdoggy; 09-28-2012 at 20:33.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    The ps3 emulators out there require cards like 7970 or better. Those are high end cards to emulate 720p ps3 games.
    What I was getting from the begining is that you need HUGE amounts of computing power for emulation and ps4 will certainly not support this.

Also I really think that most emulator only work for certain games. For example, we still don't have a single GOOD emulator for psp. A weak 8 year old handheld still can't be emulated perfectly. So there is no hope for ps3 emulation as of now.

Master Guru
    The ps3 emulators out there require cards like 7970 or better. Those are high end cards to emulate 720p ps3 games.
    What I was getting from the begining is that you need HUGE amounts of computing power for emulation and ps4 will certainly not support this.

Also I really think that most emulator only work for certain games. For example, we still don't have a single GOOD emulator for psp. A weak 8 year old handheld still can't be emulated perfectly. So there is no hope for ps3 emulation as of now.
    that all comes down to the quality of the software though. I honestly think if you had to pay for the software itself, it would be 10x better, they would hire more people to work on it and being from Sony itself. even NES emulations are still dodgy to this day, it's all in the creation of the software.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigdoggy View Post
    that all comes down to the quality of the software though. I honestly think if you had to pay for the software itself, it would be 10x better, they would hire more people to work on it and being from Sony itself. even NES emulations are still dodgy to this day, it's all in the creation of the software.
    Ofcourse and that is why I said that it is near impossible for ps3 emulation for come with ps4. Even with Sony's superior understanding of the ps3 architecture, their engineers can only do so much

Apprentice
    Every PC from July 2012 on that is mid-range should be many many times more powerful than the consoles. Is it really that hard to emulate games? I mean we're talking (near-)high-end hardware (PC/PS4/Xbox3) from 2012/2013 vs. mid-range equipment from 2005.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Can PCs emulate PS3? Yes
    Are they efficient at it? No (as of yet)
    Will we get ps3 emulation in ps4? highly unlikely

Although I just remembered that we may get ps3 BC in another way. Remember the Sony gaikai deal? Sony can stream ps3 games on ps4!

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Although I just remembered that we may get ps3 BC in another way. Remember the Sony gaikai deal? Sony can stream ps3 games on ps4!
    ...that's what I said in an earlier post! That is what my guess would be for any legacy software...

Veteran
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DSPlayStation
    What they should do is what they are doing with the PSP and the PS Vita in North America.

PSP games are made compatible and put on PlayStation Store for the PS Vita.
    The PS Vita doesn't go up in price for the people who don't care AND the people who do care can download old games from the store.

It's a win-win situation for both customers.

Currently Playing: Lumines Electronic Symphony (Vita)

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Why would they need to emulate PS3? We don't know what's in the PS4 yet but it might be compatible out the gate yet, kinda how new graphic cards are compatible with 90s games etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDug13
    I want Naughty Dog to explore new game genres, not regurgitate cinematic corridor shooters for another generation.

Veteran
    PS3 maybe, PSOne & PS2 no way.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    SHAZZMAZZ
    Items PS3 Slim
    Well i still wanna get the PS4 but im disappointed about it reading all the comments it looks like i going have to sell all my old games & consoles i dont want to because there r sum awesome games on the old consoles and im not going to buy from psn store i payed once im not paying again.

Anyways thanks everyone for ur comments

im going to have a litte cry lol not really lol but i do feel like it lol
    Last edited by SHAZZMAZZ; 09-29-2012 at 00:23. Reason: Spelling wrong

Thread Information