Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    berts08
    Items User name styleManchester United
Gift received at 11-19-2011 from Cuguy
Message: couldn't find a reason the shop would deny you the purchase, so here ya go

10 PlayStation 4 features we want to see

1. Custom soundtracks

For all their bland dashboards, there’s one feature that the Beast That Shall Remain Nameless has always waved over the PS3 like a bully holding a sticky bun above a hungry boy’s head: custom soundtracks. The ability to play whatever music we like, whenever we like, is pretty much essential – especially given the PS3’s place in the home as a massively efficient media server. For something like Red Dead Redemption, splunging Nicki Minaj over the top would obviously be punishable with death by Chinese burns, but we can think of plenty of games – including and especially anything published by EA – that desperately need this. For PS4, please.

Remote play for everything

‘You want the moon on a stick, you do.’ Yes, we do. Also: remote play for everything. The technology is already there for the Vita and PS3 to communicate, like two beautiful lovers whispering about games. Give the Vita a genuine boost by making Remote Play work on everything. Suddenly, opposition consoles are obsolete and the world is a wonderful place. Continue playing Grand Theft Auto 5 while you eat dinner with your parents, have a toilet or go to bed. We want it for PS4, and we want it for everything.

Background updates

Nothing kicks excitement quite so squarely in the soft bits and getting a new game, running home, popping in the machine then having to wait for a length PS3 update. Then a restart. Then a game update. The weeping and shouting. Background updates would largely eliminate this frustration, and make us feel like amazing, multitasking, ambidextrous ninjas . Failing that, give us a shiny handheld app that lets us queue the updates while we’re out drinking frappuccinos.

Cross game chat

We bet of some of you thought that this existed already, but you just hadn’t found it. It’s that ridiculous that cross game chat isn’t already a thing. The ability to tell your friends the ending of Arkham City while they play something else should be considered a basic human necessity, like bread, water and marshmallow wafers. It’s a community staple, and would give us even more reasons to spend every moment of our waking lives in a pleasing PS3 haze.

Auto Trophy syncing

Syncing trophies can feel like long division using an abacus. Intricate, opaque nonsense that leads to something intangible – not to mention the fact that it wastes minutes of precious game time. Yes, we want people to known how many games we’ve Platinumed, but do we want it to feel like work? Absolutely not. It’s something that PS Plus users already had, but in an age where trophies are such an integral part of gaming, auto syncing trophies should come as standard. To use a car analogy: this isn’t a Blaupunkt radio – it’s the steering wheel.

Better web browsing

Having a web browser is moderately handy. Having one that’s borderline unusable? Less so. Touchscreen phones were the stuff of Tomorrow’s World speculate-lies when the PS3 came out, so any kind of browser was an added treat. Since then, smartphones have explored numerous ways to make browsing the internet quick and easy –Sony now needs to do the same, and come up with something better that laboriously jabbing in letters on a sluggish QWERTY keyboard. Go talk to Google, see if you can borrow Chrome. It’ll be great.

Better account management

Type ‘PS3 account management’ into Google and you get pages of FAQs, manuals and sub-sections detailing how it all works. It’s drier than a sand Ryvita, and it takes a law degree to understand fully. By the time the PS4 comes around, it needs to be cleaned, streamlined and far more intuitive. This extends to better control over the XMB, which game sometimes feel like an everything-drawer, where the stuff that has no other place gets hidden. It’s wonderful that the PS3 lets us do so much: it would be more wonderful if the PS4 actually made it easy.

Cloud streamed demos

Now that Sony owns Gaikai, cloud gaming is almost a certainty – it’s a ‘when’, not an ‘if’. However, with Sony maintaining that retail will form still a big part of the PS4 strategy, we’re not likely to get cloud support for the release of the new machine. Instead, we should ease ourselves in gently with streaming demos, getting a taste for this deliciously easy alternative to filling up your hard drive. All we need now is for someone to learn how to stream New Manual Smell, and the cloud will rule.

Proper TV on the XMB

We do love the iPlayer, but is it as good as real telly? No, it isn’t. PS4 should give us the full functionality of television, but better. Give us a big fat hard drive and means to use it – and maybe a monstrous 4K to play it on. An EPG optimized for the next-gen machine, and the ability to record Come Dine With Me while play Army of Two. This is technology that’s so old now it’s almost fossilised, and if the console is truly going to move from bedroom to living room, it needs to incorporate TV. Even if most of the programs are rubbish.

Backwards compatibility for everything

We know that console manufacturers don’t like backwards compatibility – maybe because we than have to spend our pennies on old games via online stores – but we’ve spent years fighting in your name on gaming forums and YouTube, and by Criminey we deserve a treat. A day will never come when the scowl of Arkham City doesn’t tempt us back, and all those Collector’s Editions can’t sit festering and unloved on our shelves forever (no, we’re definitely not selling them). If only for their sake, give the PS4 backwards compatibility. They’re like children to us.

http://www.officialplaystationmagazi...e/#gallery-top
    Last edited by berts08; 10-01-2012 at 13:27.

“Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.” Arthur C. Clarke

PSN ID: berts08

2. Likes Black Beast, D3seeker, Kuro , Ixion likes this post
    Elite Sage
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DS
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    +1 for all of them.
    |My Playfire|My Deviantart|
    - SIG BY MY SISTER-

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Great article. Pretty much, the PS3 needed to be more streamlined. Too much updating, syncing, and features left up to the individual developer. That includes Home as well.

Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion View Post
    Great article. Pretty much, the PS3 needed to be more streamlined. Too much updating, syncing, and features left up to the individual developer. That includes Home as well.
    Yep too many hours of m life have been spend synching trophies, doing ps3 updates (I've had a ps3 since day 1 so I've sat through very damn system update and they are sloww) and game patches.

All the ideas in the Op are great. I'd love a handy in-game browser for if I get stuck in a game. I do suppose I have my phone for that but still

Via Tapatalk

Master Guru
    Items Baby ChocoboPlayStationUser name style
    here's one.

-upping the bandwidth limit so we can get really nice graphics with 60+ players on a game or being able to play a proper MMORPG.

-not skimping on the RAM

-A less complicated CPU, the PS3 has showed way to many times that "alien tech" in the gaming business is not a good thing. you want to create a system that will work for the developers rather than against.

-more indie dev support

-
    PSN ID: Intense_Peanut

7. Likes Omar likes this post
    ストライク・ザ・ブラッド
    PSN ID
    xAkiRo
    Items YunaLuluBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-12-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XIII-2AtlusFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy V
    Great article what I really want to see.

Off topic can't rep in ps4 threads huh?

PSN: xThAkIdJxYx Cod Psn:xxAkiRo
    ‎"It's not important to have a long life, the important thing is to have a happy life with your beloved ones"

Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigdoggy View Post
    here's one.

-upping the bandwidth limit so we can get really nice graphics with 60+ players on a game or being able to play a proper MMORPG.

-not skimping on the RAM

-A less complicated CPU, the PS3 has showed way to many times that "alien tech" in the gaming business is not a good thing. you want to create a system that will work for the developers rather than against.

-more indie dev support

-
    I like your list way better.

Most of what they wrote was either already there (like X-chat on Vita...so assuming it may possibly likely definitely be on PLAYSTATION FOUR? I donno! I guess! MAYBE? Yea probably) or was obvious that it should be there.

I don't know yet but I'm guessing Vita should have custom soundtracks too.

Anyway, is it true that they limit the bandwidth and that's possibly the cause of not having so many players in an online game? If so, that sucks because that's my biggest gripe with consoles...not enough players supported.

Master Guru
    Items Title StyleNew User TitleBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-13-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIUser name style

-more indie dev support

-
    Yes and yes, the more developer friendly it is, the better the games!.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    A lot of this could have been done on the PS3 if it just had more RAM.

Master Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    Anyway, is it true that they limit the bandwidth and that's possibly the cause of not having so many players in an online game? If so, that sucks because that's my biggest gripe with consoles...not enough players supported.
    it is true. that is why MAG could have looked a lot better then it was. but because of the playercount + graphics, the graphics had to take a HUGE hit because of the bandwidth cap. Both Microsoft and Sony have a bandwidth cap on consoles. PC doesn't have a bandwidth cap, but consoles do. There is no reason for consoles to have a bandwidth cap on it, no reason at all since PC gaming has lasted for over 20+ years without such a ridiculous cap.

See, Sony could have went even higher with the PS3 if they would have lifted the cap, but we are dealing with a stupid company, you know sony, the company that did research and evidently found out that "Gamers wants games".

BF3 has destruction which actually limited the playercount on consoles, that is what they say anyway but even googling bandwidth cap on PS3 and Xbox proves they have a cap. lol

Selected Members Council
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkVincent07 View Post
    All the ideas in the Op are great. I'd love a handy in-game browser for if I get stuck in a game. I do suppose I have my phone for that but still
    Similar to Steam, although it should include something like Adblock Plus.
    Thanks to Kwes for the avatar and Sylar for the signature!

Quote Originally Posted by FonFahbre View Post
    Yes and yes, the more developer friendly it is, the better the games!.
    really looking forward to an easier to use sdk... I think that was the biggest issue with the playstation 3

Forum Overseer
    it is true. that is why MAG could have looked a lot better then it was. but because of the playercount + graphics, the graphics had to take a HUGE hit because of the bandwidth cap. Both Microsoft and Sony have a bandwidth cap on consoles. PC doesn't have a bandwidth cap, but consoles do. There is no reason for consoles to have a bandwidth cap on it, no reason at all since PC gaming has lasted for over 20+ years without such a ridiculous cap.

See, Sony could have went even higher with the PS3 if they would have lifted the cap, but we are dealing with a stupid company, you know sony, the company that did research and evidently found out that "Gamers wants games".

BF3 has destruction which actually limited the playercount on consoles, that is what they say anyway but even googling bandwidth cap on PS3 and Xbox proves they have a cap. lol
    I feel that they may be putting a cap on it since most people don't have a great connection?

Master Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    I feel that they may be putting a cap on it since most people don't have a great connection?
    if they do with a cap like the PS3 version, I can tell you now that MMO's will fail miserably as well as mmorpgs, mmofps, etc etc. on the PS4 and in fact I wont buy the PS4. So far Sony is going to have to really bring on the multiplayer competitions with FPS, RPG's, Adventure, and Racing, if they don't "bring it" on the PS4, I can safely say that's it. really though, Sony can't be $#@! footing around when they release the PS4. they will lose a huge amount of hardcore online fanbases in terms of FPS and a major market, the MMORPG market.

Sony really has to step it up bigtime for the PS4, they honestly can't lose more developer support for FPS and RPG fanbases. I will say this though, if they put on ridiculous bandwidth caps on the PS4, I can definitely see PC making a huge come back.
    Last edited by Bigdoggy; 10-02-2012 at 01:05.

Forum Overseer
    if they do with a cap like the PS3 version, I can tell you now that MMO's will fail miserably as well as mmorpgs, mmofps, etc etc. on the PS4 and in fact I wont buy the PS4. So far Sony is going to have to really bring on the multiplayer competitions with FPS, RPG's, Adventure, and Racing, if they don't "bring it" on the PS4, I can safely say that's it. really though, Sony can't be $#@! footing around when they release the PS4. they will lose a huge amount of hardcore online fanbases in terms of FPS and a major market, the MMORPG market.

Sony really has to step it up bigtime for the PS4, they honestly can't lose more developer support for FPS and RPG fanbases. I will say this though, if they put on ridiculous bandwidth caps on the PS4, I can definitely see PC making a huge come back.
    Lose FPS/RPG dev support to MS? But you said yourself earlier that MS has the same limit.

Either way, that really sucks. I always thought the limit was due to the lack of system power rather than some dumb bandwidth limit. Makes sense though.

Forum Guru
    Well, that looks too much like ps3 wish list.

Here's example for more ambitious list.
    1. Low latency path for external devices and 120-240hz display out for VR sets. (and other devices.)
    2. Low power ARM core for basic GUI, net-traffic, sounds, video and sound recording and for a basic multitasking during all times, including gameplay.
    -------
    Couple of nice blog posts about OpenGL.
    The Truth on OpenGL Driver Quality
    Things that drive me nuts about OpenGL

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by jlippone View Post

1. Low latency path for external devices and 120-240hz display out for VR sets. (and other devices.)
    2. Low power ARM core for basic GUI, net-traffic, sounds, video and sound recording and for a basic multitasking during all times, including gameplay.
    I am sorta liking this wish list...especially #2! It would be nice to leave that main CPU completely open for the developers and to have a dedicated low power processor just for GUI and other functions like audio/video recording, cross game chat, etc.

-=[ PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw ]=-

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    D3seeker
    Items PS3 Slim
    Mega Cell developing Seminars for CellBE 2.0, and full staff of Sony Cell engineers on call 24/7 for all devs
    Quote Originally Posted by jlippone View Post

but in all honesty this sound wounderful

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    1. Custom soundtracks

For all their bland dashboards, there’s one feature that the Beast That Shall Remain Nameless has always waved over the PS3 like a bully holding a sticky bun above a hungry boy’s head: custom soundtracks. The ability to play whatever music we like, whenever we like, is pretty much essential – especially given the PS3’s place in the home as a massively efficient media server. For something like Red Dead Redemption, splunging Nicki Minaj over the top would obviously be punishable with death by Chinese burns, but we can think of plenty of games – including and especially anything published by EA – that desperately need this. For PS4, please.

Oh, ok, toss it the hell in there so people will shut the $#@! up about it. It's basically the last beating point left. The majority of us don't listen to different tracks, but instead listen to the background music of the game instead. But this little $#@! won't go away until you put a pacifier it it's mouth to shut it the $#@! up.

Remote play for everything

‘You want the moon on a stick, you do.’ Yes, we do. Also: remote play for everything. The technology is already there for the Vita and PS3 to communicate, like two beautiful lovers whispering about games. Give the Vita a genuine boost by making Remote Play work on everything. Suddenly, opposition consoles are obsolete and the world is a wonderful place. Continue playing Grand Theft Auto 5 while you eat dinner with your parents, have a toilet or go to bed. We want it for PS4, and we want it for everything.

This is a love to have it. I'm not to thrilled that we don't have L2/L3 R2/R3 - but you can do it with either backpad or Select + Trig and Select + Dpad to achieve the functionality while using it as a Console Controller/Remote Play

Background updates

Nothing kicks excitement quite so squarely in the soft bits and getting a new game, running home, popping in the machine then having to wait for a length PS3 update. Then a restart. Then a game update. The weeping and shouting. Background updates would largely eliminate this frustration, and make us feel like amazing, multitasking, ambidextrous ninjas . Failing that, give us a shiny handheld app that lets us queue the updates while we’re out drinking frappuccinos.

An App would be nice, catalog what the hell I have - what I've updated to, and catalog if there's any new updates To be be downloaded. PSN+ should handle this better than it does.

Cross game chat

We bet of some of you thought that this existed already, but you just hadn’t found it. It’s that ridiculous that cross game chat isn’t already a thing. The ability to tell your friends the ending of Arkham City while they play something else should be considered a basic human necessity, like bread, water and marshmallow wafers. It’s a community staple, and would give us even more reasons to spend every moment of our waking lives in a pleasing PS3 haze.

I can take it or leave it, but I know many want it.

Auto Trophy syncing

Syncing trophies can feel like long division using an abacus. Intricate, opaque nonsense that leads to something intangible – not to mention the fact that it wastes minutes of precious game time. Yes, we want people to known how many games we’ve Platinumed, but do we want it to feel like work? Absolutely not. It’s something that PS Plus users already had, but in an age where trophies are such an integral part of gaming, auto syncing trophies should come as standard. To use a car analogy: this isn’t a Blaupunkt radio – it’s the steering wheel.

I agree that it should be standard operating procedure moving forward.

Better web browsing

Having a web browser is moderately handy. Having one that’s borderline unusable? Less so. Touchscreen phones were the stuff of Tomorrow’s World speculate-lies when the PS3 came out, so any kind of browser was an added treat. Since then, smartphones have explored numerous ways to make browsing the internet quick and easy –Sony now needs to do the same, and come up with something better that laboriously jabbing in letters on a sluggish QWERTY keyboard. Go talk to Google, see if you can borrow Chrome. It’ll be great.

I'm sorry is this a F'ng Laptop/PC/Smartphone/Tablet. No! It's a F'ng game console. You can take the browser and shove it up your ass. Well ok, if it's going to be there at least make it non-laughable so I don't have to hear the babies crying. Personally, I've got at least four other devices with me at my gaming area that browse better and I will use them instead.

Better account management

Type ‘PS3 account management’ into Google and you get pages of FAQs, manuals and sub-sections detailing how it all works. It’s drier than a sand Ryvita, and it takes a law degree to understand fully. By the time the PS4 comes around, it needs to be cleaned, streamlined and far more intuitive. This extends to better control over the XMB, which game sometimes feel like an everything-drawer, where the stuff that has no other place gets hidden. It’s wonderful that the PS3 lets us do so much: it would be more wonderful if the PS4 actually made it easy.

I can appreciate that some people who don't have an engineering degree have a problem with this. If only because they bug the living $#@! out of me over this kind of $#@! way to often and if the dev's make it more simple that means people bug me less. That said, I have no personal problem with their menu'ng system.

Cloud streamed demos

Now that Sony owns Gaikai, cloud gaming is almost a certainty – it’s a ‘when’, not an ‘if’. However, with Sony maintaining that retail will form still a big part of the PS4 strategy, we’re not likely to get cloud support for the release of the new machine. Instead, we should ease ourselves in gently with streaming demos, getting a taste for this deliciously easy alternative to filling up your hard drive. All we need now is for someone to learn how to stream New Manual Smell, and the cloud will rule.

I would love full demo's - Let's say 1hr of demo time at any given point - no saves - and sure it can be online like Gaikai as long as the PSN doesn't become the bottleneck and make this unusable but by a small percentage.

Proper TV on the XMB

We do love the iPlayer, but is it as good as real telly? No, it isn’t. PS4 should give us the full functionality of television, but better. Give us a big fat hard drive and means to use it – and maybe a monstrous 4K to play it on. An EPG optimized for the next-gen machine, and the ability to record Come Dine With Me while play Army of Two. This is technology that’s so old now it’s almost fossilised, and if the console is truly going to move from bedroom to living room, it needs to incorporate TV. Even if most of the programs are rubbish.

I doubt 4K TV and delivery will be available to the masses (I mean TV sets in the < $3K range) in the next 10yrs as we're not going to have a push for a delivery system in that time frame. That said, a full functional Tuner (It's not a TV it's a tuner dip $#@!) and DVR functionality would be a nice to have. I won't be using it as I've got a couple HD DVRs as is and together they consume 1/3 of the power consumed by my PS3 Slim and I expect the power of the first gen PS4 to be in the 200-300W range - that's $200 - $300/yr in electricity charges as opposed to my $50/yr for my 2 TiVo HD boxes.

Backwards compatibility for everything

We know that console manufacturers don’t like backwards compatibility – maybe because we than have to spend our pennies on old games via online stores – but we’ve spent years fighting in your name on gaming forums and YouTube, and by Criminey we deserve a treat. A day will never come when the scowl of Arkham City doesn’t tempt us back, and all those Collector’s Editions can’t sit festering and unloved on our shelves forever (no, we’re definitely not selling them). If only for their sake, give the PS4 backwards compatibility. They’re like children to us.

Yet another cry me another tear story. Those who have these games also have that old console. It's a nice to have at best. But if they move away from the Cell processor, which I fully expect them to do with everything that's been stated to date - then it's a monsterous request that's being asked, because the Cell Processor was a beast to code for. Otherwise you're asking them to do the same thing they did with the first BC PS3's which is integrate the older processors into the system. Which is going to increase the cost of the system. I say leave it the hell out.

Basically the list is full of mostly whiney assed complaints and people need to get the hell over some of them. Make it quality, cost efficient game system, toss in the key crybaby $#@! to shut up the whiners but don't capitualate on the items like that last one if it's going to drive the cost of the system up.

Soldier 95B
    Other than your custom background music assessment, I agree on much of what you have posted.

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    At least the background music in todays games isn't the crappy Midi music from the first few generations. Ah crap, now I've got the background from Mario Bros (NES version) going on in my head because I thought about it. Damn, it it will take hours to get that out of my head. We'll time to put some AC/DC on and drown out that crap.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    KungenMartiin
    personally I couldn't care less about any of that crap in a gaming console. it's fine as it is.

Apprentice
    1. Get me the best technology that you and the general public can afford. Put out something impressive at $450 not something gimped, or something at 600 with no games and no users

2. A controller, not an inventory screen. I don't want the machine wasted sending something I don't want to look at, I can hit pause and look at the 50inch screen or hit pause and look down at 6inch one, I prefer the former. Tweak dual shock, it doesn't need to be replaced, but could be improved

3. custom soundtracks, chat, browsing, etc is all fine and dandy and there is no reason it shouldn't be there in 2013/4, but really who cares. I shouldn't have to format things specifically to sync with the fairly pricey box in my living room - it should do that for me. I want to stick a thumb drive or an external in and it recognizes it, not go make folders, not be limited by what extension I can play on it. You want me to have a living room home, make it such, hell give me firefox and vlc.

4. You put out a GD Vita, let me use the SOB. Everything should work with it, it's a damn nice piece of hardware, no reason they can't be interconnected.

5. Keep making kick ass games, keep building new IP, bring back some older ones. You're sony: you make gadgets I've liked and used to push electronics, you have amassed a hell of a lineup of IP and studios - get them to me on my ps4 and vita

6. the update situation is absurd, it has to get better

Just be f'n sony

Power Member
    Thought that list was pretty...meh to be honest. Start thinking outside the box man. Get inventive.

Master Poster
    Items VitaLiverpool360 SlimPS3 FatGoogle Chrome
    9 is pointless IMO, i have my box set with all the channels for TV...

Thread Information