Selected Members Council
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Next-gen projects are testing dev resources, Sony exec admits

The managing director of PlayStation UK has admitted that work underway on next generation games is challenging the group's studio resources as it tries to create content for Vita and PS3 as well.

Fergal Gara has said Sony has plans to support PS3 for several years, claiming that the hardware "hasn't even peaked yet" across Europe and indicated it would be foolish to cut it loose.

"We're nowhere close to giving up on PS3," Gara said in an interview with CVG.

"When you look at the UK market, it's easy to say that current consoles are fading. But if you look at PS3, it's holding up a lot better than others, so it warrants support. But if you look at continental Europe, PS3 hasn't even peaked yet. Why would you run away from a console business when you're not even top of the hill? We're certainly not going to run away from it."

Yet, despite significant PS3 support planned for the years ahead, CVG asked Gara whether there was a conflict of interests from the threat of giving Microsoft a head-start on next-gen consoles again.

"We do have a challenge to manage that, particularly in terms of dev studio resources," he replied.

"The more platforms you have, and the amount of rich content you have to deliver on all the systems you are supporting, clearly puts pressure on decisions made across the studio network, which is something we are battling with."

He admitted that, perhaps due to dev resource constraints, PlayStation has "not got that big triple-A game this Christmas", though said there were stronger alignments with third-party studios.

"I take huge confidence in what is coming down the line though. Of course we'd love to have a new triple-A game, but we have a great strategy for this holiday period.

"We don't have to talk to the same audience all the time. We have a stronger play on family this Christmas, and for the core games we will leverage third parties a bit more. I'm convinced we've got some great games coming out next year, such as The Last of Us and Beyond."
    via CVG.
    Thanks to Kwes for the avatar and Sylar for the signature!

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Items NintendoFirefox LogoPSN LogoWii BlackPaper MarioWiiUGran Turismo 53DSPS3 Slim
    Good to know I don't believe the PS3 has peak as well

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    Personally I think The Last of Us will be THE ps3 game people will remember ps3 by, so yeah, ps3 hasn't peaked yet.
    ps2 is remembered by games like GOW2 that released after ps3 launch

Elite Sage
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DS
    Duh. If you have 3 and you spread it across 3 platforms you get 1 for each, instead of focusing all your efforts into one. Sony should have Vita only devs, PS3 only devs and pioneering PS4 studios.
    |My Playfire|My Deviantart|
    - SIG BY MY SISTER-

5. Likes snooper71 likes this post
    Master Guru
    Items Baby ChocoboPlayStationUser name style
    honestly what in the blue $#@! is going on with Sony, it's almost like a video game console is new to them. they need to start firing people in that company right NOW! because so far I have seen the most stupidest statement that was made from someone at Sony, now they are still going to push the PS3 after the PS4 releases. this generation is so awkward, like even the development studios have been pretty stupid, MS has gotten Dumber and so has Sony.
    Last edited by Bigdoggy; 10-01-2012 at 21:41.
    PSN ID: Intense_Peanut

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigdoggy View Post
    honestly what in the blue $#@! is going on with Sony, it's almost like a video game console is new to them. they need to start firing people in that company right NOW! because so far I have seen the most stupidest statement that was made from someone at Sony, now they are still going to push the PS3 after the PS4 releases. this generation is so awkward, like even the development studios have been pretty stupid, MS has gotten Dumber and so has Sony.
    This gen has been the most expensive and risky so I can't blame them. Every week some studio shuts down, makes sense if Sony wants to keep making money of ps3

Master Guru
    Items Baby ChocoboPlayStationUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by itachi73378 View Post
    This gen has been the most expensive and risky so I can't blame them. Every week some studio shuts down, makes sense if Sony wants to keep making money of ps3
    actually, they would probably just want to cut their PS3 losses and revamp it with the PS4, if they compete with the PS4 with their PS3, they are in for a loss in even more money. they lost way more money in the other departments such as their HDTV compared to their PS3 losses even more so if it's more expensive to develop for the PS3 compared to possibly the PS4 being a bit cheaper..
    Last edited by Bigdoggy; 10-01-2012 at 23:16.
    PSN ID: Intense_Peanut

Thread Information