Latest PSU headlines:

Apprentice

Use my current PS3 HDD in a new PS3?

Hi, I've just ordered myself one of the new super slim PS3 models to replace my 60GB European launch model. The thing is I have a 256GB SSD drive in my current PS3 and want to use this in the new one.

I've read that backing up all the data and then resorting it will not work, so I was wondering what the best way to get all my current data on the SSD to the new PS3 using the same SSD?

At the moment the only way I can think of is using the transfer method using an Ethernet cable to transfer the data from the SSD drive in my current PS3 to a standard HDD in the slim PS3, then backing up the data on the slim PS3 once the transfer is complete. Then installing the SSD drive into the slim PS3, formatting and then restoring the backup to the SSD?

Sounds like a very long process, is there any easier way?

Thanks

Forum Guru
    That's pretty much it, if you want to use the same drive as source and destination.

Remember to delete all unnecessary files, makes the transfer a lot faster. (Video, music, game installs etc.)
    'no, no one in their sane mind uses OpenGL on PS3' - Repi
    'nope, PS3 uses a wonderful low-level API called libgcm' - Repi

Elite Guru
    The back up function is only good for storing your data for fixing corruptions and moving content from an old drive to a new one that will inhabit the same system. You can back it up to an external drive and then swap drives and move the external drive's content to the new drive.

If you're buying a new slim just use the transfer method to the new system, this method was designed to move files between two Playstation 3s in the same house (assuming you're getting one with a big enough drive). The only thing you can do with the content on you 60gb is maybe retrieve the game saves with a flash drive, although some of them may be locked. If you back up the 60gb (assuming you're not suffering the YLOD) and restore it to another system you might be able to get all your game saves back under a separate username. It's been a while since I did it but I do know any back up process takes about 2 hours and if your not restoring to the same system all you're get back is your game saves, MP3s and photos, it will not transfer any of your downloaded games or DLC to a new console. Not sure if transfer takes the same or less time as I've never had 2 PS3s in one house that worked to test it.

Also remember to deactivate which ever systems you arent using anymore. If the 60gb is still on your account recent PSN content may not work on it due to the change in content sharing rules. You'll have to go to Sony's website and deactivate your system if your 60gb is suffering a yellow light. You can only use the website to deactivate the system from your account every 6 months.
    https://account.sonyentertainmentnet...isplay.action?
    Last edited by Alpha2; 10-02-2012 at 09:43.

Apprentice

Thanks for the information. The problems is the drive i want to copy from in my fat is the same drive i want to use in the new slim, since it's a fast SSD drive. Anyway what i've decided to do is just backup the content on my current fat, then swap the standard hdd from the new slim into the fat and put the ssd from the fat into the slim. The format the slim and simply install the games when i need them. Then restore my backup to the new hdd in the fat and use that as a second PS3.

I backed up all my saves to the cloud.

It's possible to have 2 systems activated at once isn't it? I've heard the game "sharing" went down from 5 to 2. 2 is fine for my as these are the only PS3 consoles i own.

Thanks

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    SHAZZMAZZ
    Items PS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by Solaris View Post
    Hi, I've just ordered myself one of the new super slim PS3 models to replace my 60GB European launch model. The thing is I have a 256GB SSD drive in my current PS3 and want to use this in the new one.

I've read that backing up all the data and then resorting it will not work, so I was wondering what the best way to get all my current data on the SSD to the new PS3 using the same SSD?

At the moment the only way I can think of is using the transfer method using an Ethernet cable to transfer the data from the SSD drive in my current PS3 to a standard HDD in the slim PS3, then backing up the data on the slim PS3 once the transfer is complete. Then installing the SSD drive into the slim PS3, formatting and then restoring the backup to the SSD?

Sounds like a very long process, is there any easier way?

Thanks
    Wow i wanna get the superslim 500GB but ya transfer the data from 60gb to 500gb if u need help youtube is the place to go if u do have a lot of stuff on the 60gb back it up then tell it to transfer then go do sum thing else like watch tv and when its finish transfering it won't do anything until u tell to do next so u shouldn't mess it up. I first had a 40gb then i bought the 250gb i did the transfer it didnt take long all i had on was game data. Good on u for getting the superslim it looks so gorgeous and i like the idea of the slide disc cover enjoy it mate
    Last edited by SHAZZMAZZ; 10-02-2012 at 21:09.

Apprentice

I received it today and i really like it. Sure it might not be the most premium design ever, but it looks nice and importantly for me is virtually silent. The fans are inaudible from a few meters away. Fan noise was a bit of a problem with my fat. The spinning blu-ray drive does make a noticeable noise though, but even that is considerably less than my fat on medium fan speed.

Also had a bit of a result since i bought it from shopto a couple days ago for 214 and now the same thing is selling for 240.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    SHAZZMAZZ
    Items PS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by Solaris View Post
    I received it today and i really like it. Sure it might not be the most premium design ever, but it looks nice and importantly for me is virtually silent. The fans are inaudible from a few meters away. Fan noise was a bit of a problem with my fat. The spinning blu-ray drive does make a noticeable noise though, but even that is considerably less than my fat on medium fan speed.

Also had a bit of a result since i bought it from shopto a couple days ago for 214 and now the same thing is selling for 240.
    Wow mate you got a great deal good for you, when my slim 250gb first came out it cost me 280 im soooooooooo jealous of you but really happy for you have u transfer your data yet tell how it goes for ya mate. >^.:.^< :gta:
    Last edited by SHAZZMAZZ; 10-03-2012 at 11:42.

Thread Information