Elite Guru
    Items User name style

dlna and nas drives (not really gaming, i know....)

not really gaming, i know, but thought this would be the best place for responses.

i'm using my galaxy s2 at the moment and allshare to browse my PC's contents and play them on my tv. i would like to get a nas drive, but is it possible to do the same? as far as i can see the only software that allows me to browse contents on another platform, and 'push' them to another display, is allshare. but i can't see any nas drives that include this. in all honesty, id rather get rid of allshare anyway, its terribly buggy.....

anything i should be looking for in these drives too? (for example decoding mkv on the fly for the ps3) prices seem to vary drastically, so not sure what i'm looking for exactly.

cheers
    Last edited by J3ff3; 10-02-2012 at 01:08.
    Got YLOD? In the UK? I'll buy it off you.

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I just used PS3 media server for transcoding mkv files to PS3 it also supports a number of other devices including Xbox and many TV sets.
    http://www.ps3mediaserver.org/
    Last edited by keefy; 10-02-2012 at 02:02.

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    I'm running a QNAP TS-419P II which uses TwonkyMedia and in all honesty it's not the best media streamer in the world. Sure it can transcode anything but when it comes to subtitles or MKVs it fails. What I do is run my PC and have the NAS attached as a network drive so the PS3 Media Server can transcode them to my TV directly.

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Can you install the PS3 media server ont he NAS drives? Or does it have to be on your PC?

Elite Guru
    Items User name style
    cheers guys.

i'm not sure yet keefy... like i said, i don't know much about them.

my real concern though is that they are compatible with my phone, which, apparently, is known as a 'digital media controller' in dlna speak. so it can pick and choose content off my pc or laptop running allshare and display it on my samsung tv (also running allshare) using the phone screen

but some dlna compliant platforms (the ps3 for example) don't play nice. so i cannot browse or display items on it through my phone. thats not a major problem as i have a controlpad, but i would definitely want to be able to browse a nas drive with my s2.

additionally id like streaming software that supports my phone as a digital controller that ISN'T allshare. because its $#@!ing buggy.....
    Got YLOD? In the UK? I'll buy it off you.

Thread Information