Elite Sage
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

DICE threatens permanent bans for users of color-editing Battlefield 3 mod

Tinkering Battlefield 3 soldiers released a mod today allowing tweaks to the displayed color levels, with the most dramatic result involving the suffusion of the pervasive blue-tinged gradient into supposedly more natural colors. The sample photo album and comparison video definitely show a stark difference between stock and modified visuals, but when asked for his input on the mod, Battlefield 3 gameplay designer Gustav Halling said it was “too colorful” and warned of possible permanent bans for users.“[It's] too colorful,” Halling tweeted. “Also, I wouldn’t use those hacks if you don’t want a permanent ban on your account. FYI warning.”
    A few posters on a reddit thread discussing the mod claim they’ve already met bans for using the program. Although the notion of DICE hefting its ban-hammer over Battlefield 3 becoming too colorful seems absurd on the surface, the company is clearly adamant about protecting the competitive standards set in the unmodified game, where filters and gradients could potentially figure into each map’s overall balance.

Source

What kind of foolishness is this. The game looks vastly better with the mod!

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    If they allow this they have to allow everything else.

I have heard rumours of bans too which is why I never used any of these programs.

Some mps look better others have too much saturation.
    Last edited by keefy; 10-03-2012 at 23:42.

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    Nakatomi_Uk
    Items Intel Core i7PS3 SlimFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VII
    And yet people wonder why PC gaming is dying to some because of devs with the ban hammer its just a mod they could at least incorp special servers that allows users to play on them who have this mod only possibly.

Win 7 Ult 64bit, Gigabyte Z68AP-D3 Rev.1/Bios F8 , INTEL i7 2600k 3.40ghz, Crucial Ballistix Elite 8GB DDR3 1866mhz (1600mhz@1.60v), Crucial 128GB M4 SSD, Seagate 500GB 7,200rpm, Hitachi 1TB 7,200rpm (Back-Up HDD), HIS 7850 2GB GDDR5 PCI-E Card, OCZ Fatality 750 Mod PSU, LG DVD-RAM RW

Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    Oh no we can't have our players actually being able to SEE whats going on in the battlefield. Put all that intrusive and ridiculous lighting back in NOW!!!

Thats pretty much why I didn't like BF3

El Presidente
    That extra pop of color looks fantastic. In particular the green grass, trees and the blue of the sky and ocean. Shame it can't be used.

Focus. Control. Conviction. Resolve. A true ace lacks none of these attributes. Nothing can deter you from the task at hand except your own fears. This is your sky.

Elite Sage
    Yeah it's a shame it can't be used because it looks like a much more beautiful game. Never realised it until now but that blue hue is overpowering.

Brilliant though, wasn't BF2 heavily modded? Now if you mod the colour your gonna get banned? How times have changed.

BBK. Tapatalking.

Elite Guru
    If they allow mods, they can't charge for ludicrously over-priced DLC. People would make their own and release it to the wild for free. Fostering a community is 'bad' if they can't drive revenue from it.

Could take a leaf out of Valve's book with their workshop etc.

Elite Sage
    I love how their excuse was Frostbite 2 is too hard for the modding community as well. As you said, they just know that if modders can release maps no one would buy the overpriced dlc.
    Last edited by BBK..; 10-04-2012 at 13:57.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Items NintendoFirefox LogoPSN LogoWii BlackPaper MarioWiiUGran Turismo 53DSPS3 Slim
    Damn DICE is trying to lay the hammer and piss of the people who bought the game good move smh

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    I wish they would put as much effort into fixing the things that piss players off and do want.

The UI is garbage, scroll wheel doesnt work
    Killcam overides all menus
    A slider for mouse sensitivity - I can never get the exact sens I want because of this its either too much or too little
    No demo recording
    No spectate but there is killcam which is $#@!, its always too close and spinning around
    Server filters for tickets
    Increase step height of models so we can simply walk up steps and kerbs, no need to jump

All those little things would make the game alot less annoying.

Instead they keep $#@!ing about with the weapon balance because whiners want everyone else to play like they do.

The game has been out almost a year and they are still balancing the weapons. Ridiculous.
    Last edited by keefy; 10-04-2012 at 15:41.

Elite Guru
    And by this point, your gripe list would probably have been fixed by modders.

12. Likes Nakatomi Uk likes this post
    El Presidente
    This is why its fun to play older games that are modded and then you avoid all the trouble. Still fun to start up CoD4 every so often and play with mods.

Focus. Control. Conviction. Resolve. A true ace lacks none of these attributes. Nothing can deter you from the task at hand except your own fears. This is your sky.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    KungenMartiin
    I'm ashamed of being Swedish ;C

Thread Information