Latest PSU headlines:

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Sony can you speak up please?

Few people may have realized this but November 3rd, 2012 marks the launch of PlayStation Mobile. This should actually be a big deal for Sony because this means the PlayStation platform will become available across a series of mobile phones, tablets, and the PS Vita. PlayStation Mobile, for those who don’t know, is Sony’s attempt to bring PlayStation quality games to mobile platforms and expand their reach in gaming past game consoles. This brings to the forefront the biggest concern that surrounds Sony and leads to the following question: “Where is the marketing for all these innovations and releases that are coming?”

Sony has had a rough history when it has come to marketing campaigns during the life cycles of many of their consoles. The first console of theirs that this became obvious with was the PlayStation Portable (PSP). During the early part of the system’s life when there were few titles, Sony had a chance to flaunt all of its multimedia capabilities that would show what the system could do before the games arrived, though they did not.

Then, when the system began amassing more titles, Sony never put the emphasis to let people know that games were being released for the PSP outside of industry events. This continued well into the end of the system’s lifespan when some of the best titles were being released for the system such as Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker, Dissidia Duodecim Final Fantasy, God of War: Ghost of Sparta, and many more. Sony’s attempt at having a strong marketing campaign to piggy back off of the Kevin Butler one was the travesty known as “Marcus.”

After the issues with the early lifespan of the PSP, one would assume that Sony took lessons from their handheld and make adjustments for their next home console. Sadly, the PlayStation 3 suffered from many issues; but one that still plagues the system to this day is the mishandling of marketing for the system. While the Kevin Butler and Michael ads provided some high moments, there are still potential ways in which Sony is not fully marketing the capabilities of its home console.

Case in point is PlayStation Plus which gives relatively free games, DLC, discounts on games, and provides users with exclusive content that other services are not providing all for only $50 a year. It would seem that Sony would be tooting its own horn and advertising it everywhere especially after the recent announcement from Microsoft and its lackluster rewards program.

Another lack of marketing on the PS3 from Sony is not putting nearly enough emphasis on advertising the PlayStation Move. After the initial announcement and showings of the peripheral, Sony just let the Move sit on shelves without informing consumers on what the device could do and how it could change experiences in games with one to one detection. Essentially, the device uses the same kind of tracking technology used in motion capture and not enough word was spread on the potential of the device as not a main control scheme, but an additional one that could make game experiences more engrossing.

The latest victim of this bad trend is the PlayStation Vita, which seemed all but ignored at E3 this year. Sony did make up for that mistake at Gamescom and TGS, but it makes you wonder why Sony has not done more to spread word about the system. With the ability to buy certain PS3 games and get the Vita version for free, you would think Sony would have posters and commercials every where letting people know. The PS Vita is an impressive piece of technology that does many things right and Sony should be out there flaunting the features, upcoming games, and apps for the system.

Now, with the upcoming release of PlayStation Mobile, the game industry would expect Sony to at least put it out there that this week was the launch of something that could be important to the PlayStation brand if done correctly. This is a chance for Sony to get a nice head start in the mobile arena ahead of Microsoft and Nintendo.

How can Sony get out of this trend? Personally, I believe the first thing Sony needs to do is be willing to admit they have made mistakes and actually tell people how they have improved on their mistakes. Consumers would rather know that a company is making strides in improving their mistakes and are putting them first.

Second, all of the products, services, and innovations Sony is bringing to the PlayStation line need to be shared everywhere. It is surprising how many places you will see the Xbox 360 advertised or shown on a TV show. Sony needs to learn from Microsoft and raise the exposure of the PlayStation line to consumers by having more commercials on TVs and slipping their products onto TV shows, movies, billboards, or just about anywhere they can.

Lastly, Sony needs another good commercial campaign such as the Kevin Butler ones. Something that pokes fun at competitors while still showing off what the PlayStation can do for gamers and everyone else. Michael was another spectacular campaign that showed gamers that Sony is thinking about them and everything they play. A good campaign should show off what PlayStation can do for consumers, how it does things differently than its competition, and how PlayStation owners are important to the company.

Sony has done much the past few years to make up for many of its prior mistakes and initially limited offerings. Now is the time for them to let people know that they have a wide array of offerings for people out there. PlayStation Mobile and PlayStation Vita allows gamers to get their fill of games on the go while PlayStation 3 provides home entertainment and games with different ways to interact using the DualShock 3 or PlayStation Move.

PlayStation Plus service even brings great deals, games, and more to those looking to get some more benefits from a paid service. There is so much going on with PlayStation right now. All Sony has to do is let everyone know what is going on in the world of PlayStation to pull people in.

http://www.dualshockers.com/2012/10/04/sony-can-you-speak-up-please/
    Last edited by Black; 10-06-2012 at 23:01.

I'm a hater, a traito.
    I wish you'd stop creating threads that are just links.

Extreme Poster
    lol

Ultimate Veteran
    Items DreamcastPlayStationNintendoBullyGTA ClaudeFinal Fantasy IX
    Which is why you should report the post so I or another staff member can take a minute of our time to fix the OP instead of making unnecessary comments.
    Last edited by Black; 10-07-2012 at 00:45.

3DS Friend Code: 1349-4916-2054

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Items NintendoFirefox LogoPSN LogoWii BlackPaper MarioWiiUGran Turismo 53DSPS3 Slim
    Sony is doing horrible marketing seriously. If sony fails they have themselves to blame!

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Forum Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by DeviousOne View Post
    Sony is doing horrible marketing seriously. If sony fails they have themselves to blame!
    yea, they really do suck at marketing. They need to tighten it up for next gen.

***** dweller
    Items Title StyleNew User TitleBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-13-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIUser name style
    They need more of these

Also teaser ads with the Playstation Logo for new games can do them good.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Items NintendoFirefox LogoPSN LogoWii BlackPaper MarioWiiUGran Turismo 53DSPS3 Slim
    Anything thing more than what they are doing would be a damn improvement....if it wasn't for sites like PSU and our community people wouldn't know what sony was up too.

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by DeviousOne View Post
    Anything thing more than what they are doing would be a damn improvement....if it wasn't for sites like PSU and our community people wouldn't know what sony was up too.
    Makes you wonder if Sony just cant afford the cost of an aggressive marketing campaign right now.

Ancient
    Quote Originally Posted by radgamer420 View Post
    Makes you wonder if Sony just cant afford the cost of an aggressive marketing campaign right now.
    Which part of Sony?
    reason I say this is because I hear it a lot Sony can't afford
    Yet if you look at all the **** going on right now and connect the dots it is amazing how much money Sony is spending at the moment
    SCE though is a different Story

To clarify
    Sony is currently doing the 007 Skyfall marketing campaign and its big, from the Phone to the Fragrance to the deal with Sky to dedicate a channel to 007 film leading up to the release
    On top of that Syco, a jointly owned company by Simon Cowell & Sony have X-Factor currently running in both the US & UK aswell as Europe
    Thats just two project and the amount money involved in those projects is staggering
    My point is people tend to forget these things
    Same with MS with Windows, but I think Sony has more operations costs then anything.

Sent via Codec
    Last edited by TGO; 10-07-2012 at 21:48.

"Xbox is about to become the next water cooler”

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by TGO View Post
    Which part of Sony? reason I say this is because I hear it a lot Sony can't afford Yet if you look at all the **** going on right now and connect the dots it is amazing how much money Sony is spending at the moment SCE though is a different Story Sent via Codec
    Well big losses in one division can affect the company as a whole. Besides I'm just saying its possible not that its gospel fact. Lighten up.

Ancient
    Well big losses in one division can affect the company as a whole. Besides I'm just saying its possible not that its gospel fact. Lighten up.
    I edited my post to clarify what I meant

Sent via Codec

Forum Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    its hard to say. I do know that they used to be worth 200 billion and now they are nowhere near that.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Which part of Sony? reason I say this is because I hear it a lot Sony can't afford Yet if you look at all the **** going on right now and connect the dots it is amazing how much money Sony is spending at the moment SCE though is a different Story To clarify Sony is currently doing the 007 Skyfall marketing campaign and its big, from the Phone to the Fragrance to the deal with Sky to dedicate a channel to 007 film leading up to the release On top of that Syco, a jointly owned company by Simon Cowell & Sony have X-Factor currently running in both the US & UK aswell as Europe Thats just two project and the amount money involved in those projects is staggering My point is people tend to forget these things Same with MS with Windows, but I think Sony has more operations costs then anything. Sent via Codec
    But obviously there must be some reason that their marketing is pretty much non-existent since the Kevin Butler commercials stopped a long time ago. A financial reason seems the most logical imo. I seriously doubt that Sony just decided to stop marketing their console.

Elite Guru
    Items DreamcastDeath Note LArsenal
    Yeah you would think it's to do with their marketing budget for games/playstation. Perhaps they need to decrease investment in actual content and try and effectively market the very top things they have to offer with a higher budget. But what do we know

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitey View Post
    Yeah you would think it's to do with their marketing budget for games/playstation. Perhaps they need to decrease investment in actual content and try and effectively market the very top things they have to offer with a higher budget. But what do we know
    Its funny you should say that because Sony said something along those lines in an interview awhile back.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    They're generally on/off with marketing.

PS Mobile indeed is a big deal.

Ultimate Veteran
    Items DreamcastPlayStationNintendoBullyGTA ClaudeFinal Fantasy IX
    Marketing? This is how you do it:

Coincidentally, I love Uncharted and eating at Subway. P=

3DS Friend Code: 1349-4916-2054

19. Likes Sufi likes this post
    Ancient
    But obviously there must be some reason that their marketing is pretty much non-existent since the Kevin Butler commercials stopped a long time ago. A financial reason seems the most logical imo. I seriously doubt that Sony just decided to stop marketing their console.
    Yeah it is probably a financial reason, but I wouldn't say it to do with not having the money.
    Its like me saying I don't have the money to buy Dishonored and then buying the Collector's edition of AC3
    Thats the sort of thing I'm seeing from Sony
    And its not like they ain't marketing, they spent millions didn't they on a European marketing ad campaign, which was said to the biggest PlayStation had ever seen.
    I saw 1 ad

Sent via Codec

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Yeah it is probably a financial reason, but I wouldn't say it to do with not having the money.
    Its like me saying I don't have the money to buy Dishonored and then buying the Collector's edition of AC3
    Thats the sort of thing I'm seeing from Sony
    And its not like they ain't marketing, they spent millions didn't they on a European marketing ad campaign, which was said to the biggest PlayStation had ever seen.
    I saw 1 ad

Sent via Codec
    Exactly! I think their priorities are upside down but we've should've seen this especially after the E3 presentation where the Vita got NO love.

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Yeah it is probably a financial reason, but I wouldn't say it to do with not having the money. Its like me saying I don't have the money to buy Dishonored and then buying the Collector's edition of AC3 Thats the sort of thing I'm seeing from Sony And its not like they ain't marketing, they spent millions didn't they on a European marketing ad campaign, which was said to the biggest PlayStation had ever seen. I saw 1 ad Sent via Codec
    I dont know did they? I dont live in Europe so I didnt see anything like that. They sure arent marketing here. Secondly I didnt mean that they literally had no money but that maybe their finances were spread thin enough to where other things had to take priority over marketing campaigns.
    Last edited by mistercrow; 10-08-2012 at 03:44.

Ancient
    I dont know did they? I dont live in Europe so I didnt see anything like that. They sure arent marketing here. Secondly I didnt mean that they literally had no money but that maybe their finances were spread thin enough to where other things had to take priority over marketing campaigns.
    Yeah they said they had this big marketing campaign, I saw like one ad and you guys got Kevin Butler
    Which was confusing, though tbf marketing doesn't just include TV ads
    They definitely have a presence but when it comes to TV its like 1 ad to 4 of MS's and it makes no sense why they would spend money on creating ads to show them only a handful of times
    Yet like I said, currently they are ramming 007 down our throats
    The money spent on that is colossal compared to how much it would cost to have a few PlayStation ads running regularly
    I know it cost for a few minutes air time, but when they pay Sky to dedicate a channel for promotion to Skyfall it makes you think, they seriously couldn't afford some airtime for some PlayStation ads?
    I think there should be more ads on TV and obviously so do you and everyone else
    But the underlining seems like Sony don't
    The only time they bother its at the beginning, and its a little push you give your child when they first start riding a bike
    It is annoying though, I'd like to see more ads
    My favorite are the SAP and Kevin Butler ads

Sent via Codec
    Last edited by TGO; 10-09-2012 at 02:20.

I'm a hater, a traito.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blacksite View Post
    Which is why you should report the post so I or another staff member can take a minute of our time to fix the OP instead of making unnecessary comments.
    i said in my last report regarding this that I'd comment about it in one of his threads If i wasn't replied to.

Thread Information