Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 ... LastLast
    Forum Overseer

Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by podsaurus View Post
    Why do so many people say this kind of thing? I don't know what people mean when they say a game is incredible. I've played many games that I have thoroughly enjoyed in the past 3-4 years.

This is not a personal attack at you Sufi I'm just being general. Are people that picky these days? Do games have to be 100% perfect and always have massive innovations? I'd like to say I'm not ranting but I kind of am.

What IS it that people want out of these games? I'm a bit surprised The Last of Us isn't on that list. Post apocalypse setting is the most cliche setting I can think of yet people are going nuts over this. Why?
    I didn't see your post until now.

Well, it's a personal opinion so I can see why it wouldn't chime with others.

I'm at a point in my life where I just don't have time for games but I still love games as much as I did before...so on top of being a harsh critic anyway, I need games that are much higher in quality and yes I think I do want the next big thing...I just don't have time to play similar games anymore.

I think it has a lot to do with age. I used to play and finish dozens of games every year and now I can't even finish 4 of the ones I own.

Last of Us has a cliche setting but the way they approach the gameplay is definitely innovative. It's nothing that amazing but it's definitely interesting to see something new.

Apprentice
    Im gonna buy all three and Im sure I will enjoy them more than the latest Call of Medal of Battlefield-crap...

Veteran
    Hitman is massively hyped? Didn't know that.

PSASBR is certainly superhyped and I expected that one to be on the list.

Tomb Raider actually looks like it can meet expectations out of all 3 of these. That is, if people get around the potential of it being too inspired by Uncharted.

Quote Originally Posted by ps3freak18 View Post
    I think the PS All Stars Battle Royale seems over hyped to me but I'm quite interested in the last 2. The new Tomb Raider looks fresh...
    That is interesting, because he sure did give a lot of reasons why it isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Bio
    Yep, NGP will retail at $300. We all know it's going to happen.

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by radgamer420 View Post
    There are some TR influences in Uncharted but like you I never felt like I was playing TR when I was playing Uncharted. All games borrow something from previous other games. No big deal.
    Like what though?

Platforming? Puzzles? Shooting?

Tomb Raider did not introduce platforming. Nor was it the first to have puzzles and shooting has never been the main gameplay element.

Yeah, both Uncharted and Tomb Raider have those in common but so does Prince of Persia, Mario, Ratchet & Clank, etc.

I am not trying to disagree or anything....just trying to understand the influence. I don't really see it.

They share a similar theme and share common elements. But as I said, they share some of those with Prince of Persia and other games as well.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Oh ok. It sounded like you were including GTA in the category of big series that have become low quality even though you hadn't played it. Anyway my bad if I misunderstood.
    I have played GTA4, it wasn't up there with the PS2 games but it's not low quality either, certainly not like FF13 against the rest of the series for example.

Please help our Final Fantasy Community get off the ground:
    http://forums.final7fantasy.com/

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronSOLDIER View Post
    I have played GTA4, it wasn't up there with the PS2 games but it's not low quality either, certainly not like FF13 against the rest of the series for example.
    Yeah the PS2 ones were better. And FFX on PS2 was the FF that I liked.

El Presidente
    @fiji I think why TLOU is so hyped is because it's coming out in the middle of a massive sea of brown/grey shooters like you said. If this game were being released during a time when there were several other successful games similar in style I don't think it would stand out as much. It looks very well made and all that. Heck I'll probably grab it and play it at some point. But I just can't hop on the big hype bandwagon.

@DO I feel you man I loved dynasty warriors!

@sufi That's understandable. When you're that busy you have to weed out all games except only ones you're really interested in.

Focus. Control. Conviction. Resolve. A true ace lacks none of these attributes. Nothing can deter you from the task at hand except your own fears. This is your sky.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by sainraja View Post
    Like what though? Platforming? Puzzles? Shooting? Tomb Raider did not introduce platforming. Nor was it the first to have puzzles and shooting has never been the main gameplay element. Yeah, both Uncharted and Tomb Raider have those in common but so does Prince of Persia, Mario, Ratchet & Clank, etc. I am not trying to disagree or anything....just trying to understand the influence. I don't really see it. They share a similar theme and share common elements. But as I said, they share some of those with Prince of Persia and other games as well.
    Similar jungle environments, the same type of environmental puzzles, similar temple environments with hydrogliphics, similar platforming things like that. The whole vibe is very similar. Lots of critics, journalists, etc. have even mentioned that. I dont understand how you cant see it. The comparison has been made many times. And I never said Tomb Raider did it first but Tomb Raider did come before Uncharted. And how you can say that Uncharted doesn't have any Tomb Raider influence kind of amazes me. Sure Uncharted made some changes to the formula but the Tomb Raider vibe is still there otherwise it wouldn't be getting compared to it so often. Heres an example - http://allthingsuncharted.com/2012/10/duderaider/ These games all borrow things from each other.
    Last edited by mistercrow; 10-07-2012 at 00:47.

Selected Members Council
    Quote Originally Posted by Kauldron View Post
    Now what has been hyped to hell and back is Assassin's Creed 3 and I don't see why. It looks average to me.
    Assassin's Creed III has been in development for a couple years now and looks to make the same jump in gameplay and visual fidelity that Assassin's Creed II made to the original. To say it looks "average" is baffling.
    Thanks to Kwes for the avatar and Sylar for the signature!

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Blacksite View Post
    Assassin's Creed III has been in development for a couple years now and looks to make the same jump in gameplay and visual fidelity that Assassin's Creed II made to the original. To say it looks "average" is baffling.
    I agree. AC 3 has me very impressed.

Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by D3seeker View Post
    All stars: Button masher controls??!?!! and no schit it's not gonna sway Nintendo players, it's TOTALLY different characters!

Hitman: They didn't hold your hand throughout like every other game this gen, noob

Tomb Raider: Only someone who started with Uncharted/never played a Tomb Raider game in their life/Has not payed any attention to the history, would have your opinion. again, noob.

Tired of being harsh, but the article comes across as noob toast crunch, just saying.

ANYWAYS, everyone has the right to their opinion but I urge them to try again.
    THIS^x1000%

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Blacksite View Post
    I really don't see all that. It looks like the same stuff they've been doing. New setting and all looks good, but I don't see this increased gameplay and especially visual fidelity.

Forum Sage
    Similar jungle environments, the same type of environmental puzzles, similar temple environments with hydrogliphics, similar platforming things like that. The whole vibe is very similar. Lots of critics, journalists, etc. have even mentioned that. I dont understand how you cant see it. The comparison has been made many times. And I never said Tomb Raider did it first but Tomb Raider did come before Uncharted. And how you can say that Uncharted doesn't have any Tomb Raider influence kind of amazes me. Sure Uncharted made some changes to the formula but the Tomb Raider vibe is still there otherwise it wouldn't be getting compared to it so often. Heres an example - http://allthingsuncharted.com/2012/10/duderaider/ These games all borrow things from each other.
    People have made comparisons, and people love to do that with any game that has a similar theme. So what?

It doesn't really mean anything.

Environment, setting, does not mean that Uncharted was influenced by Tomb Raider. Platforming hasn't been exclusive to the Tomb Raider series, which is why I would also argue that does not = that Uncharted was influenced.

I am sure they were influenced by a bunch of things. I am just arguing that it may not have been Tomb Raider. It could have been....but it also could NOT be.

There have been movies on the same thing, in the same type of setting. So, I don't think that supports that argument.

Prince of Persia had platforming. The platforming in Prince of Persia is better than a lot of games if you ask me.

Anyway, the examples you have given, aren't strong arguments in favor of the influence Tomb Raider may have had on Uncharted...

Dedicated Member
    This is the first time I have seen anything but praise for the Tomb Raider reboot.
    PSN and 360Live: Zombieking36

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    People have made comparisons, and people love to do that with any game that has a similar theme. So what? It doesn't really mean anything. Environment, setting, does not mean that Uncharted was influenced by Tomb Raider. Platforming hasn't been exclusive to the Tomb Raider series, which is why I would also argue that does not = that Uncharted was influenced. I am sure they were influenced by a bunch of things. I am just arguing that it may not have been Tomb Raider. It could have been....but it also could NOT be. There have been movies on the same thing, in the same type of setting. So, I don't think that supports that argument. Prince of Persia had platforming. The platforming in Prince of Persia is better than a lot of games if you ask me. Anyway, the examples you have given, aren't strong arguments in favor of the influence Tomb Raider may have had on Uncharted...
    Well I've certainly given better arguments to show that Uncharted is influenced by TR than you have to show that it isnt. All you've done is basically say no its not and nothing much more. Your opinion flies in the face of evidence that you just simply deny. Apparently you think journalist and gamers across the net who acknowledge the influence are wrong and youre right. lol So on that note we'll just have to agree to disagree then.
    Last edited by mistercrow; 10-07-2012 at 06:57.

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    THUGGEDOUT1
    Items LBP ColeLBP SephirothLBP KratosLBP HelgastLBP EzioLBP Cloud
    Didn't realize those games were massively hyped and don't see why they should be either.

"When I was 12, I milked my eel into a pot of turtle stew. I flogged the one-eyed snake, I skinned my sausage. I made the bald man cry into the turtle stew, which I believe my sister ate. At least I hope she did."

Supreme Veteran
    Uncharted seems to have taken inspiration from one game and one successful movie franchise imo, Tomb Raider and Indiana Jones.

Love Uncharted and it's not a knock to believe ND was inspired by these two I mentioned.
    Gaming on all platforms right now.

Editor & Moderator
    PSN ID
    SchaffinOSX
    None of these are my cup of tea, besides Hitman, perhaps. I do think he has in a point in that Assassin's Creed really does steal Hitman's thunder in a lot of ways, and that'll probably be the very reason I don't purchase it. There's only so much time for gaming, and between Assassin's Creed III and Hitman: Absolution, Assassin's Creed wins out.

All of these games will be a good time, though. Battle Royale will give everyone who loved Super Smash Bros a chance to button-mash their way to victory again, Hitman: Absolution will give gamers another stealth / assassin game to play (some people might need a break from Assassin's Creed), and no matter how similar it is to Uncharted, Tomb Raider will woo long-time fans and give for what sounds like a pretty damn good experience. With all of Uncharted's success, who can blame developers for testing out the formula for themselves?
    Read my work on Medium, my blog, and connect with me on Twitter.

Soldier 95B
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    Uncharted is not a Tomb Raider clone.
    Opinion noted.

I've played the old Tomb Raider games and I've played Uncharted. I did not feel like I was playing TR while going through Uncharted.
    When I play Uncharted, I think TR all the time due to my previous experience playing all the TR games.

Tomb Raider did not introduce platforming. Nor was it the first to have puzzles and shooting has never been the main gameplay element.
    I don't think anyone here said TR was the first to introduce any of that. As I mentioned before, TR and UC really copied Pitfall from back in MY day.

Yeah, both Uncharted and Tomb Raider have those in common but so does Prince of Persia, Mario, Ratchet & Clank, etc.
    You are better at making a case then this. Come on. That is like saying GT didn't copy Forza or Forza didn't copy GT....because then that means they copied Need for Speed, Grid, PGR, Dirt, Pole Position, F1. The two games we are discussing are substantially closer in similarity than say Uncharted vs. Mario.

I am not trying to disagree or anything....just trying to understand the influence. I don't really see it.
    Any many other do see it. Not a big deal.

Thank you Rad!

People have made comparisons, and people love to do that with any game that has a similar theme. So what? It doesn't really mean anything.
    It doesn't mean anything, you are correct. We are just all voicing our opinions on a game forum.

Quote Originally Posted by A7MAD View Post
    Uncharted seems to have taken inspiration from one game and one successful movie franchise imo, Tomb Raider and Indiana Jones.

Love Uncharted and it's not a knock to believe ND was inspired by these two I mentioned.
    Well stated. I love TR and I love UC. I am glad they are extremely similar, taking ideas from each other.

Forum Overseer

Quote Originally Posted by Soldier 95B View Post
    Opinion noted.
    That's not an opinion lol. Look up "clone" on dictionary.com.

It may have been "inspired", "influenced", but it's not a "clone".

Soldier 95B
    $#@!ing semantics. Sorry, NOT A CLONE. RIP OFF

Forum Overseer

Still not correct.

And semantics do matter in this case because the series are extremely different. I like TR better, there's no way UC can come close to its brilliance.

With that said, I think UC is a great series and nothing like TR. UC is not my cup of tea because I like treasure-hunting to be more mysterious and more hardcore (UC is made for casuals). It may have had some influences...such as treasure hunting, but that's really about it. Everything else is different in every possible way.

For the record, I don't like where TR is going and the only reason I'd like it is if they kept it hardcore but we all know that's likely not going to happen. It'll be just as newbie as all the games out nowadays.

Soldier 95B
    Then we will agree to disagree in our opinions.

Forum Overseer

That made no sense. You haven't even explained how it qualifies as a rip off lol.

25. Likes sainraja , Nitey likes this post
    Soldier 95B
    ok

Thread Information