Latest PSU headlines:

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 5
    Extreme Poster
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier 95B View Post
    • Third Person
    How is this a unique feature?

• Shooter

It had guns but you only needed them 5% of the times. It wasn't a shooter.

• Puzzles

Look up Prince of Persia 1989, puzzles are not exclusive to TR.

• Action

What action? Other than a few bats, lions and bears, you didn't fight much. Did you play TR?

• Platforming

Prince of Persia.

• Hand to hand combat

MGS had hand to hand combat way before TR. I haven't played the later TRs but this was not even introduced until later into the millennium.

• Exotic environments

Sure but what adventure game doesn't have exotic environments nowadays? Do you expect them to show Manhattan instead?

• Ancient legends, artifacts and tombs

Yes, that's one place where they were likely influenced. Something you can't ignore in a treasure hunt. However, TR was influenced by Indiana Jones so you can't call this a rip off...it's already out there.

• Jungle, Ship, Water and Desert battles

Desert battles? Which installment? Either way, you can't use generic things as rip offs lol. You can fit a lot of games in this criteria. I can throw a bunch of COD games that would fall under this.

• Climbing, jumping

Not exclusive to TR.

• Quick Time Events

Again, something TR didn't invent and was not there from the beginning anyway, just curious however, if there are QTEs in TR, which installment are you speaking of?

• Mastered assortment of guns

Doom.

• Creatures and mythological monsters

Don't remember any monsters from TR. Come to think of it, don't remember them from UC either.

• A lead that has been backstabbed in the story

What lol.

• Different weather extremes

I don't wanna knock down on your redundancy here to make your list bigger but this is not exclusive to TR.

• Great looking lead characters

...Ok, let's just talk about this one for the sake of argument, regardless of how hilarious and generic it is. UC actually did not sport your regular hotties in the game. I can't speak for Drake but he looked like an average guy to me. His gf in the first installment looked average, actually I thought she looked very manly. Small boobs, flat face, broad jaw, long chin etc.

• Symphony sounds that resemble Indiana Jones movies

Yea, and we're talking about TR. They both went after the IJ movies so your point is null. To make it even more null, TR actually ripped off IJ more than UC did.

This whole thing also goes back to my earlier point is that ND are likely just taking IJ movies into account rather than TR games.

• Bomber Jackets

Where?

• Daggers

Not exclusive to TR. Don't remember them in UC1/2. Have not played UC3.

• Monasteries

Yes, that comes in as part of having exotic environments. You're telling me that no other game can use a monastery without being called a rip off? What sort of an explorer game would you make without any of the things you've listed so far? This is amusing.

• Tibetan Mountains

So now Tibet is out of the question.

• Traveling to remote islands to unlock big gold objects such as pyramids and coffins

Again, if you were a treasure hunter that searches things by the grand canyon, you won't be considered a hot commodity. What treasure-themed movies or games have you seen that don't show some sort of a remote location?

• Multi-armed god statues

Have you ever been outside of the US? Some of the biggest religions of the east have gods with multiple arms. This is nothing new.

• Treasure hunters bring artifacts to war lords, granting super powers to past friends and foes

Indiana Jones.

• and more that I am missing.

I'm pretty sure you've covered just about every aspect there possibly could've been...multiple times.

IMO
    Indeed. and thank you for the entertainment piece, sir.

No.
    Metacritic
    Tomb Raider 1: 91
    Tomb Raider 2: 85
    Tomb Raider: The Angel of Darkness: 66
    Tomb Raider: Chronicles: 57
    Tomb Raider Legend: 82 (closer to the original games)
    Tomb Raider: Prophecy: 66
    Tomb Raider: Underworld: 80

Generally you see games going down in score with installments but not that low. And I've played the decent ones (minus the ones that had lower than an 80 for obvious reasons), they aren't even close to the original ones.
    Last edited by Sufi; 10-07-2012 at 23:33.

2. Likes Itachi , Suzano-O, sainraja likes this post
    Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    TR2 is the best.
    Quote Originally Posted by fuzzyreactor
    Nothing more exciting than bringing home a brand new console and watching a download screen for a hour.

yay, next gen!

4. Likes Sufi likes this post
    Soldier 95B
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    How is this a unique feature?

It had guns but you only needed them 5% of the times. It wasn't a shooter.

Look up Prince of Persia 1989, puzzles are not exclusive to TR.

What action? Other than a few bats, lions and bears, you didn't fight much. Did you play TR?

Prince of Persia.

MGS had hand to hand combat way before TR. I haven't played the later TRs but this was not even introduced until later into the millennium.

Sure but what adventure game doesn't have exotic environments nowadays? Do you expect them to show Manhattan instead?

Yes, that's one place where they were likely influenced. Something you can't ignore in a treasure hunt. However, TR was influenced by Indiana Jones so you can't call this a rip off...it's already out there.

Desert battles? Which installment? Either way, you can't use generic things as rip offs lol. You can fit a lot of games in this criteria. I can throw a bunch of COD games that would fall under this.

Not exclusive to TR.

Again, something TR didn't invent and was not there from the beginning anyway, just curious however, if there are QTEs in TR, which installment are you speaking of?

Doom.

Don't remember any monsters from TR. Come to think of it, don't remember them from UC either.

What lol.

I don't wanna knock down on your redundancy here to make your list bigger but this is not exclusive to TR.

...Ok, let's just talk about this one for the sake of argument, regardless of how hilarious and generic it is. UC actually did not sport your regular hotties in the game. I can't speak for Drake but he looked like an average guy to me. His gf in the first installment looked average, actually I thought she looked very manly. Small boobs, flat face, broad jaw, long chin etc.

Yea, and we're talking about TR. They both went after the IJ movies so your point is null. To make it even more null, TR actually ripped off IJ more than UC did.

This whole thing also goes back to my earlier point is that ND are likely just taking IJ movies into account rather than TR games.

Where?

Not exclusive to TR. Don't remember them in UC1/2. Have not played UC3.

Yes, that comes in as part of having exotic environments. You're telling me that no other game can use a monastery without being called a rip off? What sort of an explorer game would you make without any of the things you've listed so far? This is amusing.

So now Tibet is out of the question.

Again, if you were a treasure hunter that searches things by the grand canyon, you won't be considered a hot commodity. What treasure-themed movies or games have you seen that don't show some sort of a remote location?

Have you ever been outside of the US? Some of the biggest religions of the east have gods with multiple arms. This is nothing new.

Indiana Jones.

I'm pretty sure you've covered just about every aspect there possibly could've been...multiple times.

Indeed. and thank you for the entertainment piece, sir.

Metacritic
    Tomb Raider 1: 91
    Tomb Raider 2: 85
    Tomb Raider: The Angel of Darkness: 66
    Tomb Raider: Chronicles: 57
    Tomb Raider Legend: 82 (closer to the original games)
    Tomb Raider: Prophecy: 66
    Tomb Raider: Underworld: 80

Generally you see games going down in score with installments but not that low. And I've played the decent ones (minus the ones that had lower than an 80 for obvious reasons), they aren't even close to the original ones.
    There was a jeep in Uncharted and there are jeeps in Forza. Seriously, WTF. Lol

Seriously dude, your reply was laughable at best. Unless you were kidding?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Ultimate Veteran
    Items DreamcastPlayStationNintendoBullyGTA ClaudeFinal Fantasy IX
    Also, what kind of big-budget game doesn't have cinematic moments? Is it necessarily a bad thing to draw comparisons from one game to another? I'd think that as long as you're enjoying the games, it shouldn't matter.
    Last edited by Black; 10-07-2012 at 23:59.

3DS Friend Code: 1349-4916-2054

Extreme Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier 95B View Post
    There was a jeep in Uncharted and there are jeeps in Forza. Seriously, WTF. Lol

Seriously dude, your reply was laughable at best. Unless you were kidding?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Which is why it's ridiculous to call something a rip off based on generic things. You've just proved your own point.

8. Likes Suzano-O, Nitey , sainraja likes this post
    Soldier 95B
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    Which is why it's ridiculous to call something a rip off based on generic things. You've just proved your own point.
    Yes I did

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk 2

Extreme Poster
    Now we can continue on with our lives lol.

11. Likes sainraja , Nitey likes this post
    Superior Member
    PSN ID
    KungenMartiin
    Quote Originally Posted by *goo View Post
    Outside of Ni No Kuni early next year, I can't think of another PS3 game I'm actually looking forward to. Sad times.

Elite Member
    Lulz @ this thread...

One day I'm gonna come on this forum, and an immensely popular PS3 game will be lambasted for copying another game due to the inclusion of "button pressing"...
    And I will join in on the ridicule...and it will be glorious...death to PS3...

I agree with the article in the original post for the most part, aside from the fact that the latter two games don't seem to receive much hype at all as far as I've seen...

14. Likes sainraja , Itachi , Sufi likes this post
    Veteran

PSN ID
    Cybertox
    I think that a lot is expected from all this games and thats why they are so over hyped.

Master Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzano-O View Post
    Lulz @ this thread...

One day I'm gonna come on this forum, and an immensely popular PS3 game will be lambasted for copying another game due to the inclusion of "button pressing"...
    And I will join in on the ridicule...and it will be glorious...death to PS3...
    That's right!

The PS3 hasn't done anything original. Sony is just following the leader!

Superior Member

TBH I think Naughty Dog looked at the gaming industry and said what are we good at. Platforming...they also said what kind of genre do we have some good ideas for...and what genres seem to be lacking (either in representation or in quality). They saw that TR had fallen on hard times and wasn't getting it right. They had great writers and put together some great platforming and gameplay and put out a superb product. Taken from TR and IJ and Prince of Persia and I'm sure other games but they put it in a format that was innovative and exciting. Sure they have all those things in common....but the quality of the product outshines anything you can compare it too. They had big ideas with the cutscenes and I will say there has been few games better at putting together epic moments like on the train or when the jeep comes down the stairs....just jaw dropping. Uncharted didn't resemble anything (gameplay/graphics) about TR other than treasure hunting and puzzles. Everything else was done so differently Uncharted truely stands on its own as a great game.

TR hasn't been really relevent for a long time due to the fact they haven't gone in a direction that the industry/gamers want. Clearly they saw what their game could have been and looked like in Uncharted and taken ideas from that...set in Lara's world and her unique story and I will be excited to play it. There is plenty of room for both franchises and to even be similar. Uncharted is light hearted and funny and quarky and Lara is more dark and serious. Both characters are very unique one with an air of superiority and sex appeal and the other is funny and self deprocating and more of a normal chap with a unique tie to a world of treasure hunting. I love both series and look forward to the new installations. I am happy to get a quality TR experience and just because they are borrowing gameplay elements from Uncharted won't upset me at all....just like they borrowed from TR and other games. I have no problem with games borrowing successful ideas from others. If something is nailed and extremely popular it only makes sense to use those things....the key is tying it into the story and the character to make it fit right and keep the rest of the game true to what supporters feel is core to the game. If you don't...like Socom or other games you alienate your core supporters but if you borrow something and improve the experience then that is a good thing.

Thread Information