Latest PSU headlines:

Avengers Blu Ray Aspect Ratio - Widescreen Format, But Plays In Fullscreen On PS3

Why does The Avengers on Blu Ray play in fullscreen format when it's a widescreen format movie? None of my other blu ray's do that. I don't have another blu ray player to see if it's different on another, but I did try the DVD version in my PS3 which also played in fullscreen, then tried it in a regular dvd player and it played in widescreen.

My PS3 settings have not been changed and my blu ray's of Planet of the Apes and Jaws play in widescreen just fine.

What's the deal?

Ancient
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by threat View Post
    Why does The Avengers on Blu Ray play in fullscreen format when it's a widescreen format movie? None of my other blu ray's do that. I don't have another blu ray player to see if it's different on another, but I did try the DVD version in my PS3 which also played in fullscreen, then tried it in a regular dvd player and it played in widescreen.

My PS3 settings have not been changed and my blu ray's of Planet of the Apes and Jaws play in widescreen just fine.

What's the deal?
    When you say fullscreen, you mean widescreen with no boarders?
    If so then it's supposed to be like that
    Even the rip I've got is full pixel 1080p (boarders are not included on rips and are lower lower in pixels)
    For example a 720p rip would be 1280x720p @fullpixel
    But if it was shot with boarders it would be 1280x568 or 600
    Ya got me, as my original source is fullpixel then that must mean the PS3 is displaying it correctly, the dvd player is more then likely adding the boarders
    The aspect ratio on the back would be 2:35 or something if its meant to have boarders and 1:72 or something like that for none boarders
    But as I said the source rip is like that too so

Sent via Codec

"Xbox is about to become the next water cooler”

Master Poster
    Items Joker (limited ICON)Google ChromeDiceGoogle ChromeBattlefield 3Christian Bale
    It was a decision either by Joss or Marvel to shoot the movie with a different resolution, I think it was the same resolution they use when doing TV series.

Home Theater Guru
    Items Dark SoulsDemons Souls CoverDark Souls Cover
    You guys got it all wrong. It's got nothing to do with resolution.

The simple reason lies in the fact that the movie was shot in 16:9 format, which is today's standard TV aspect ratio. That's why you will find no black borders on the screen.

Conversely, most other films are shot in ratios that are even wider than the 16:9 format, thus displaying black borders at the top and bottom of the screen.

~Mortal Kombat has always been - and always will be~

See, I've seen a few different answers to this as well and it's a bit confusing. I do know it was shot in a different format than traditional widescreen, but if it plays with the bars on the top and bottom on another player without distorting the image, then that means the fullscreen version is either stretched and/or cut off on the sides.

Anyone else try it in a non-sony blu ray player?

Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    I hate movies that are wider than 16:9. I don't want black bars top and bottom on my already wide tv!

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

7. Likes Zswordsman likes this post
    Ultimate Veteran
    i dont have the moive yet but if its shot in 16:9 format then it will be full screen no black borders which is better.
    look on the back of the bluray case it will tell u if its in 16:9 format

Quote Originally Posted by coolguy View Post
    i dont have the moive yet but if its shot in 16:9 format then it will be full screen no black borders which is better.
    look on the back of the bluray case it will tell u if its in 16:9 format
    It's 1.78:1 widescreen.

1.85:1 is standard widescreen, so it's really not that much smaller in order to make it fullscreen format.

Home Theater Guru
    Items Dark SoulsDemons Souls CoverDark Souls Cover
    It's 1.78:1 widescreen.

1.85:1 is standard widescreen, so it's really not that much smaller in order to make it fullscreen format.
    This right there is your answer.

1.78:1 will always give you a full picture on a standard HDTV as it resembles a 16:9 aspect ratio. What you're looking for is a 2.35:1 Letterbox scenario that is common in other movies.

~Mortal Kombat has always been - and always will be~

Quote Originally Posted by Wrath View Post
    This right there is your answer.

1.78:1 will always give you a full picture on a standard HDTV as it resembles a 16:9 aspect ratio. What you're looking for is a 2.35:1 Letterbox scenario that is common in other movies.
    Then why the heck does the DVD play in letterbox format, with the bars on the top and bottom, in a regular dvd player, despite being listed as the same aspect ratio? Weird. Brain hurting

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    bolderdash
    VHS i always had fullscreen. eventually it was phased out into DVDs and eventually you couldn't find fullscreen DVDs...only widescreen. Now, this new fangled thing of filling the screen has come around on blu rays. I think i shall call it full screen!

My 2˘ i remember in dark knight the scenes they shot in imax were fullscreen. i remember cus it only had a couple that were full screen it really kind of stuck out and broke the flow. the imax ratio is different apparently. just a different aspect. enjoy it.

Somebody get me a doctor, I ain't feelin' ill ...But I ain't feelin' this at all...

Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    Then why the heck does the DVD play in letterbox format, with the bars on the top and bottom, in a regular dvd player, despite being listed as the same aspect ratio? Weird. Brain hurting
    I would guess your DVD player or the TV settings for that input are causing it.

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

Forum Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by mickice View Post
    I would guess your DVD player or the TV settings for that input are causing it.
    This would be my guess as well.
    Simply put, all zoom options which stretch image are bad and should never be used.

Black bars are the only reasonable way to fit different aspect ratios on a screen.
    'no, no one in their sane mind uses OpenGL on PS3' - Repi
    'nope, PS3 uses a wonderful low-level API called libgcm' - Repi

Thread Information