Latest PSU headlines:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast
    Elite Guru
    Excluding 'Kinect 2.0', the article is basically saying the next MS console will be 'top dog' because they'll be continuing to do things they're already doing? Seems a little decisive without knowing what the competition are doing.

As for reasons why, they're a little on the dry side. For example:

• It's not as difficult to get a multi-player game going with friends on PS3 as the author implies
    • The competition will also receive the vast majority of the third party titles MS put out
    • Cross game chat, fair to say Sony should be sufficiently aware of how much their customers want it (will be very surprised if it's not 'out the box' next generation). If MS wants to improve this, I'd say they NEED to make it Skype so it's not just Xbox to Xbox - that would be a REAL improvement
    • Sony also has an existing userbase that ages further than Microsoft's - why is only one of them relevant?
    • PSN is a fully fledged DD channel and whilst it may not be as good as the MS experience, it's certainly moving towards a brand in it's own right (PSN/SEN?). What about the future of cross platform i.e. Vita etc?
    • Downplaying PS Plus when it's now an excellent service. Paying roughly the same as Live for the ability to play online and a rake of games accessible through maintaining the subscription as well as receiving discounts on other products (and cloud based saves) is a great deal for the consumer
    • Sony own Gaikai - who knows what they'll do with it and the PSN

To be clear, I'm not saying MS won't 'win' (as far as I'm concerned if these things continue to improve, we're the ones that win) but the article makes a bold statement and is then kind of light on content to back it up.
    Last edited by *goo; 10-08-2012 at 17:02.

Soldier 95B
    To add to *goo, you can already chat Xbox to PC and Phone, not just Xbox to Xbox.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post
    I personally think MS will lead next gen again. It has done really well this gen in carving out an identity that has resonated with dedicated and causal gamers alike. It's done an awesome job with 3rd party, especially CoD etc. The media offerings have also reaped alot of rewards for the company. Sony did really will to keep up despite it all, but I reckon MS will still command a marginal lead next gen unless Sony really pulls something amazing out of it's ass.. It need s to get it's online suite sorted (Vita shows they have clicked in this department) and they need to quit with using alien tech and opt for a more pc like setup. It should be the games and the content that do the talking. However, if Sonys current innitiatives are an indication of their future intent (F2P, PSMobile, bundle games, PS+, cross buy) then things could sway in Sonys favour, especially if they do something near with gaikai. Really though, Sony has been last yet has done more for it's gaming community so I couldn't care less if it trails again next gen. The few million between consoles really means $#@! all.
    I agree, the few million gap really doesn't mean a whole lot. As for next gen MS is going to have to come up with some new exclusive ips otherwise I might as well support PS4 solely. Halo, Forza, Gears by themselves are plenty good for me for the remaining part of this gen but after that I'm going to want some fresh new ips as well. Sony has already proven themselves in that regard so I have complete confidence in PS4. Unless of course Sony prices themselves out of the market again but I kind of doubt they will repeat that mistake. Same goes for making the PS4 more traditional PC type hardware architecture. And MS needs to avoid another RROD fiasco next gen.

Master Poster

I think the main reason MS would be the console of choice at least in NA is their strategy with Xbox as a brand.
    There has been a shift this gen from games console to media console and MS has set themselves in a better position than Sony moving forward.

I think all that Sony really has to do to topple MS in the living room race is to just price themselves competitively, show PSN as a social network, and launch a strong lineup of 1st party exclusives within that first 6-12 months.

MS has and will most likely have the 3rd party support moving forward into next gen and as long as MS don't eat up a lot of timed exclusives Sony stands a good chance at coming back.

As for MS launch the next console as contracted hardware for Live service $50 up front $20 monthly over X amount of years.
    Get some 3rd party exclusives, not just the content but full games like they did with Bioshock, Ghost Recon, Lost Planet, Call of Duty ect. Expand Live and its services to the mobile markets, and I don't see Sony adapting fast enough for them to stay competitive.

Extreme Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by *goo View Post
    Excluding 'Kinect 2.0', the article is basically saying the next MS console will be 'top dog' because they'll be continuing to do things they're already doing? Seems a little decisive without knowing what the competition are doing.

As for reasons why, they're a little on the dry side. For example:

• It's not as difficult to get a multi-player game going with friends on PS3 as the author implies
    • The competition will also receive the vast majority of the third party titles MS put out
    • Cross game chat, fair to say Sony should be sufficiently aware of how much their customers want it (will be very surprised if it's not 'out the box' next generation). If MS wants to improve this, I'd say they NEED to make it Skype so it's not just Xbox to Xbox - that would be a REAL improvement
    • Sony also has an existing userbase that ages further than Microsoft's - why is only one of them relevant?
    • PSN is a fully fledged DD channel and whilst it may not be as good as the MS experience, it's certainly moving towards a brand in it's own right (PSN/SEN?). What about the future of cross platform i.e. Vita etc?
    • Downplaying PS Plus when it's now an excellent service. Paying roughly the same as Live for the ability to play online and a rake of games accessible through maintaining the subscription as well as receiving discounts on other products (and cloud based saves) is a great deal for the consumer
    • Sony own Gaikai - who knows what they'll do with it and the PSN

To be clear, I'm not saying MS won't 'win' (as far as I'm concerned if these things continue to improve, we're the ones that win) but the article makes a bold statement and is then kind of light on content to back it up.
    The cross-game chat is already in Vita so it's a given with the PS4.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Because the next Xbox will be shaped like a Dog?

#IndieStation4 and proud of it.

Extreme Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by OriginalG View Post
    Dont really care even if they are successful as Wii this gen, if they keep making casual crap. I can get multiplats on PS3, PS4, and PC right now.
    You can't because PS4 doesn't exist yet.

Veteran
    Items Manchester United
    Fact - the next xbox will be shaped like a $#@!.

Flange.

Soldier 95B
    Dont really care even if they are successful as Wii this gen, if they keep making casual crap. I can get multiplats on PS3, PS4, and PC right now.
    The PS and Xbox will always have casual crap. They have a new found focus on it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Veteran
    Items Battlefield 3ArsenalDark Souls
    None of the points in the article are valid and it draws a lot of presumptions from this gen when we know from experience that each console gen is very different to the last. Shooters exploded after COD4, Gears of War essentially created a new genre within a genre and new IP found their niche in the market place, all within 2 years of the 360 releasing the landscape had changed completely. I am sure that will happen again

However, I do think MS will assert themselves as top dogs. Simply because they are an American corporation who know how to advertise effectively, are more in tune with the western audience and know how to exploit that and have more than enough financial clout to get what they want out of developers. None of these things will change from this gen but these are the reasons they have already become such a power in the industry.

It will have little to do with how good the actual hardware is.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Items NintendoFirefox LogoPSN LogoWii BlackPaper MarioWiiUGran Turismo 53DSPS3 Slim
    Xbox360 has the best balance of both imo

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Wii has hardcore games doesnt mean Wii has a focus on hardcore games. Xbox is mostly Casual + multiplat machine. Multiplats are on other plats. casual is their new focus and differentiating factor, but you seem to have acceptedt this already which saves us some time going over obvious stuff
    Thats uber interesting. lol

Veteran
    Items LiverpoolUser name style
    The "why it won't" list could have some of the same bullet points.

Ultimate Veteran
    Its way to early to tell.

Forum Sage

Wii has hardcore games doesnt mean Wii has a focus on hardcore games. Xbox is mostly Casual + multiplat machine.

Multiplats are on other plats. casual is their new focus and differentiating factor, but you seem to have acceptedt this already which saves us some time going over obvious stuff
    Quote Originally Posted by radgamer420 View Post
    Thats uber interesting. lol
    Is that who i think your insinuating it is?

It can't be... can it?

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBettaKnow View Post
    Is that who i think your insinuating it is? It can't be... can it?
    Yep, its him. lol

Soldier 95B
    casual is their new focus and differentiating factors
    Can you blame Sony and MS for adding focus to casual games on their platforms? They already nailed exclusives for the hard core, they might as well bring in casuals too. They are doing a great job of balancing both. Great time to be a gamer.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier 95B View Post
    Can you blame Sony and MS for adding focus to casual games on their platforms? They already nailed exclusives for the hard core, they might as well bring in casuals too. They are doing a great job of balancing both. Great time to be a gamer.
    Agreed. People always talk about MS going casual yet Sony is doing the same thing. One look at Sony's xmas exclusive lineup and you can see that Sony is focusing on the casual crowd this holiday while ironically MS seems to be focusing more on the core gamer this holiday. Sony - PS All Stars and LBP Kart Racing vs MS- Halo 4 and Forza Horizon. Its obvious which crowd each company has their focus on this holiday. Now next year Sony looks to be bringing their focus back over to the core. So both companies are expanding their audience but neither is "abandoning" the core or any other part of their userbase.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Its true that MS is caring less and less about core now that they have their money. I guess its all business. Now they want casual's money. they are just throwing a bone by having 1 core exclusive a year.
    Well MS is releasing 2 core exclusives this year while Sony is releasing two casual family friendly games this holiday. Sony is just throwing the core a bone with Dust 514.

Soldier 95B
    Quote Originally Posted by radgamer420 View Post
    Well MS is releasing 2 core exclusives this year while Sony is releasing two casual family friendly games this holiday. Sony is just throwing the core a bone with Dust 514.
    Still no release date for Dust 514. I want to check the game out stat.

As for Sony focusing on casual now, can you blame them? They see where the revenue comes from. Lord know knows they need the cash.

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk 2

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    I don't really see a big difference between PS3s and 360s line up for the rest of the year. Both have an FPS coming, MS has a racer and Sony has a karting game and an IP brawler and both are getting the usual 3rd party goodness. Is one racing game such a differentiater in strategy, enough to say Sony is all about the casuals while MS is all about the core? lol

Mr Soldier: I would wager that Dust 514 will be going into open beta at the end of the month. The game now states "open beta" at the top of the screen as opposed to "closed beta" which it had before the latest build was released. Also, Tretton said October and CCP said "soon". Not too much longer.
    Last edited by Ghost; 10-14-2012 at 12:42.

Soldier 95B
    I don't really see a big difference between PS3s and 360s line up for the rest of the year. Both have an FPS coming, MS has a racer and Sony has a karting game and an IP brawler and both are getting the usual 3rd party goodness. Is one racing game such a differentiater in strategy, enough to say Sony is all about the casuals while MS is all about the core? lol

Mr Soldier: I would wager that Dust 514 will be going into open beta at the end of the month. The game now states "open beta" at the top of the screen as opposed to "closed beta" which it had before the latest build was released. Also, Tretton said October and CCP said "soon". Not too much longer.
    I think the consensus is that the Sony holiday line up is more casual focused. Forza and Halo are generally viewed as more Hardcore. Not a big deal really. Nobody will forget Microsofts onslaught of Kinect games the holiday after it was released. Speaking of which, any core gamers with Kinect should check out Fable Journey. Loving the game. However, if you are not a fan of Kinect, the game will not convert you. It's Kinect controls evolved, not revolved.

Ghost, if you see any beta keys for Dust can you throw me a bone?

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier 95B View Post
    I think the consensus is that the Sony holiday line up is more casual focused. Forza and Halo are generally viewed as more Hardcore. Not a big deal really. Nobody will forget Microsofts onslaught of Kinect games the holiday after it was released. Speaking of which, any core gamers with Kinect should check out Fable Journey. Loving the game. However, if you are not a fan of Kinect, the game will not convert you. It's Kinect controls evolved, not revolved.

Ghost, if you see any beta keys for Dust can you throw me a bone?

Hehe it's a consensus I don't comprehend. Dust, from a technical basis, is way more hardcore than Halo 4 in my ever so humble opinion (economy, customisation etc). If MS were releasing a Gears, Halo, Forza, some new badass IP and Sony were releasing All Stars, LBP Karting and a Singstar game or whatever then it would be more clear cut but I think both are generally in the same boat. But yeah, you're right, it's no big deal at all.

If I can get my hands on another beta code, I'll PM it your way bud.

Soldier 95B
    Hehe it's a consensus I don't comprehend. Dust, from a technical basis, is way more hardcore than Halo 4 in my ever so humble opinion (economy, customisation etc). If MS were releasing a Gears, Halo, Forza, some new badass IP and Sony were releasing All Stars, LBP Karting and a Singstar game or whatever then it would be more clear cut but I think both are generally in the same boat. But yeah, you're right, it's no big deal at all.

If I can get my hands on another beta code, I'll PM it your way bud.
    I agree that Dust 514 is more hardcore based on what I have read and seen online.

Thanks G!

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    As long as they don't get uber-casual then I'm fine with it. TBH, the "casual" market that they should both be focusing on is TV and sports subscriptions/services, and not the casual games.

Not that they don't offer these services already (in the states and Europe at least) but in my mind, should be strengthening and pushing these rather than something like Kinectimals or Wonderbook (not that they're bad or anything).

#IndieStation4 and proud of it.

Thread Information