Page 1 of 3 1 ... LastLast
    Soldier 95B

Why the Xbox 3 Will Be the Next Generationís Top Dog

Over the last few weeks, Josiah and Angelo have explained why they think the Playstation 4 and Wii U will come out on top of the next console generation. They made some good points for sure, but theyíre wrong.

You could argue that the Wii ďwonĒ this generation, but while it may have accrued the most console sales, those sales eventually fell off a cliff. Truth be told, the Wii was just the ďWii Sports MachineĒ to a large number of its owners. There were a few third-party successes here and there, Carnival Games and the like, but ultimately software was not the Wiis strong suit.
    As for the folks at Sony, they stumbled into this gen with a console that was priced ludicrously high and, despite its better technical specs, was notoriously hard to develop for. Pair that with setbacks like PSN getting hacked and the abysmal user experience and numerous system/game updates, theyíve still got a ways to go.

Thatís enough about the competition though, letís talk about Microsoftís Xbox 360. It was almost seven years ago now that Microsoft made the decision to essentially kill the original Xbox. The company wanted to focus solely on the next gen, which meant the Xbox 360. Released a full year before its competitors the 360 was immediately snapped up by gamers eager for something new. Itís had a few dips here and there, but right now itís outselling Wii and PS3 monthly and with pretty impressive sales for a console that is seven years old. So with that in mind, hereís why I think the next Xbox (it wonít be called 720, letís be serious) will be next genís top dog.

5. Kinect 2.0

No matter what you think of the games that have been released for it, thereís no denying Kinect is a cool piece of tech. Itís no secret that the hardware released falls short of the vision Microsoft had when they originally revealed the hardware as Project Natal. You can bet they wonít make that mistake with the next iteration of Kinect, especially when itís rumored to be bundled in with every console this time around. With a boost in processing power, both in the Kinect itself and the console, the possibilities are endless. All those Kinect hacks weíve seen can become a reality, and games will finally have the accuracy and fidelity we expected from the first Kinect. With that, our living rooms will come that much closer to Minority Report.

It wonít just help games either, one of the better uses for the current Kinect hardware is menu navigation and voice control. With an all around more accurate system, thereís no reason more apps and games canít use this, especially if everyone will have one.

4. Xbox Live Arcade

Itís fair to say Microsoft has made some fumbles when it comes to XBLA (and most definitely in regard to Xbox Live Indie Games/Community Games), but that doesnít take away from the strides theyíve made for downloadable games on the console. Even before Minecraft sold four million, games like Castle Crashers and Trials HD were selling two million copies and beyond. There are some high profile disc-based games that struggle to sell that much. Microsoft nailed it with XBLA. By doing things like making demos standard and introducing promotions like Summer of Arcade they ensured XBLA is the top downloadable platform on consoles.

Thereís plenty to improve on of course. Microsoft knows that better than anyone, so you can bet theyíll be taking everything theyíve learned on the 360 and use it to make something even better on the next Xbox. Heck, even if they kept the platform as it is now itíd still be miles better than what Sony and Nintendo will have to offer.

3. Xbox Live is a brand now

Xbox Live is no longer tied to your console, with the launch of Windows Phone 7 Microsoft turned Xbox Live into a brand. You can now use the same profile from your Xbox on the go, even to get achievements if thatís your bag. When Windows 8 launches this month Xbox Live will make the jump to PC (which will no doubt mean the end of Games for Windows Live). Thereís even an official Xbox app for iOS and Android, showing that Microsoft is moving away from their old ways.

Skulls of the Shogun will launch alongside Windows 8 and have cross-platform multiplayer, allowing players to face off against friends on PC, Windows Phone and Xbox 360. Itís not too hard to imagine a next-gen scenario where this becomes more common, heck maybe there will even be Xbox-Live-enabled iOS and Android games. This could do wonders for the Xbox brand, especially since Microsoft has at least a year to sell the idea to everyone.

2. Staying connected

Why do third parties do so well on 360? Xbox Live, players are already hooked into the systemĖwhether itís simply because they pay for it or just because itís better than anything else out there. Itís absolutely baffling that the Xbox 360 is the only console that allows cross-game chat, it seems like such a fundamental feature but apparently it isnít.

Come next gen, Microsoft is starting with a solid base thatís almost 10 years old. All they can do is make it better, whereas their competition will be struggling to catch up. Playstation Plus and Day-One Digital downloads of retail games are all for naught if I canít jump online, talk to my buddies and easily setup a multiplayer game.

1. The Call of Duty effect

Letís take the Forzas, Gears of Wars and Halos out of the equation and talk about third parties. The Xbox 360 has been the third party platform, Iím not just talking sales here either. For the vast majority of this generation the 360 was the lead platform for most big third party games, for the simple fact that it was easier to make games for. Of course the fact that those games also sold more on 360 than other platforms was probably a factor too. Call of Duty is without a doubt the biggest third party franchise out there, and a lot of the time youíd be forgiven for mistaking it for an Xbox exclusive. It may have begun as a PC franchise but it now sits firmly as a 360 game in many gamers minds, and that will make all the difference when it comes to choosing which console to go for next gen.

You can bet Microsoft is doing everything in their power to keep the deals they already have in place, so expect timed (or complete) exclusives on new Call of Duty maps, Elder Scrolls VI DLC and lots more. Third party publishers have seen how strong the Xbox brand has become and theyíll want to stick with it, which will no doubt lead to a strong launch line-up and a ton of support in the future.
    http://stickskills.com/2012/10/07/wh...tions-top-dog/

Thoughts?

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I wont pretend that I know who will be "top dog" next gen because I dont. But the article does make some valid points. MS has very strong 3rd party support going into next gen and I know 3rd party developers like Bethesda will continue to work out deals with MS. During the launch window exclusives will be important which is where MS might be struggling unless the new studios they opened produce some games even if they were to bring back some of the OG Xbox ips theyre sitting on. But as the generation progresses 3rd party becomes more important. And this generation in particular I think 3rd party has been more dominant. I think that will become even more of a trend in the next generation. Even PS2 sales were more driven by 3rd party exclusives which is why MS went after those to get them on the 360 as well. GTA and FF by themselves were responsible for alot of PS2 sales as well as the eventual $199 price point. Now if Sony makes PS4 more developer friendly and is priced competitively then its anybody's fight. But if not then I expect we'll see a replay of this generation. This generation points to a trend where who has the "most" exclusives wont matter as much as previous generations. 3rd party content, price, online service, features and functionality will matter more.
    Last edited by mistercrow; 10-07-2012 at 21:09.

Forum Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    A little too early to say who will be top tog. I'm just happy to be getting a system that will have less limitations so devs can make better games. The next Xbox is sure to be fantastic though.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-stance1 View Post
    A little too early to say who will be top tog. I'm just happy to be getting a system that will have less limitations so devs can make better games. The next Xbox is sure to be fantastic though.
    Agreed. Curious to see what they do with Live and also if our GS carries over or not.

Ultimate Veteran
    It's been said before that the video game industry never stays the same. You can tell me that the next iteration of Kinect shows a lot of promise, that they could improve upon Xbox Live, that the install base is pretty large and that third-party games just so happen to perform better on the Xbox 360 but none of that clearly defines the next-generation Microsoft console as the "winner".

"It’s absolutely baffling that the Xbox 360 is the only console that allows cross-game chat, it seems like such a fundamental feature but apparently it isn't."

Sony did address this last year, saying the feature wasn't coming because of memory restrictions. But I don't think they'd make the same mistakes with the PlayStation 4 - complex architecture, high price point etc.
    Last edited by Metal King Slime; 10-07-2012 at 22:13.
    Thanks to Kwes for the avatar and Sylar for the signature!

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    I agree with Mr Blacksite. The industry is in a state of transformation. It's trying to find it's footing in a market that's rapidly changing. There are too many unknown factors to make any real predictions. I agree with many of the points in the article but I think it'll be the company who adopts to change the best that will be the top dog next gen.

Miqo'te Bard
    Items New User TitleProtect yourselfFull Metal AlchemistFangDark Souls CoverDemons Souls CoverBattlefield 3Title StyleUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Blacksite View Post
    It's been said before that the video game industry never stays the same. You can tell me that the next iteration of Kinect shows a lot of promise, that they could improve upon Xbox Live, that the install base is pretty large and that third-party games just so happen to perform better on the Xbox 360 but none of that clearly defines the next-generation Microsoft console as the "winner".

"Itís absolutely baffling that the Xbox 360 is the only console that allows cross-game chat, it seems like such a fundamental feature but apparently it isn't." Sony did address this last year, saying it wasn't coming because of memory restrictions. But I don't think they'd make the same mistakes (complex architecture, high price point and whatnot) with the PS4.
    Agree I mean if you said last gen ms would be on top(least in us I know ps3 seems to be slightly ahead now) every gamer would have laughed in your face, and now here we are.

The one thing I am curious about next gen is if the wiiu controler takes off who will copy it first. Many laughed at the wii controls yet min psmove and to some extent kinect came out it was the best thing ever.
    I have twitter to https://twitter.com/GamerYuichi , Also started youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMu7yRGCz8QrTyxaNVR3Tqw I don't always twitch, but when I can you can find my noobness http://www.twitch.tv/yuichimccry,

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Items NintendoFirefox LogoPSN LogoWii BlackPaper MarioWiiUGran Turismo 53DSPS3 Slim
    Xbox 3 can be the top console this next gen...

Really I believe sony or ms will die out in the next gen Nintendo will be fine

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Forum Overseer
    The article bases almost everything off assumption and what may be possible. There are some inaccuracies as well.

Example:

5. Kinect 2.0: "You can bet they won’t make that mistake with the next iteration of Kinect."

4. Live Arcade: "...you can bet they’ll be taking everything they’ve learned on the 360..."

"Heck, even if they kept the platform as it is now it’d still be miles better than what Sony and Nintendo will have to offer."

We don't know what Sony and Nintendo has to offer yet.

3. Xbox Live is a brand now: "...heck maybe there will even be Xbox-Live-enabled iOS and Android games."

"Skulls of the Shogun will launch alongside Windows 8 and have cross-platform multiplayer, allowing players to face off against friends on PC, Windows Phone and Xbox 360."

How will cross-platform multiplayer help in any way? It's not that we can't do this right now, it's because it'd be a stupid idea.

2. Stay connected: "Xbox Live, players are already hooked into the system."

PSN is already connected into the system as well lol. So is the Wii's online system. He probably meant to say "integration".

"It’s absolutely baffling that the Xbox 360 is the only console that allows cross-game chat, it seems like such a fundamental feature but apparently it isn’t."

That's because they don't know the reason why it wasn't included. It's not so much that they don't want to do it, it's more of that they can't.

MS gets the credit for knowing its worth.

"Come next gen, Microsoft is starting with a solid base that’s almost 10 years old.All they can do is make it better, whereas their competition will be struggling to catch up."

I agree that Sony and especially Nintendo will always play the catch up game but honestly after a while it's not going to matter much. Live IMO is already an overkill, especially since they charge for it. Other than more efficiency and a few perks from next-gen (such as feeds and staying more connected through having a robust online profile and community features), you don't need anything...everything else is just fluff. PC gaming has proven that. While you can do anything you want on the PC, gamers don't want things more than a team chat and the ability to browse the net while you're playing. What else do you need? At what cost?

"Playstation Plus and Day-One Digital downloads of retail games are all for naught if I can’t jump online, talk to my buddies and easily setup a multiplayer game."

I'm assuming he's talking about X-game chat there, which was already mentioned earlier, why the need to mention it again? Since we are talking about next-gen, does he really assume that we won't be able to setup a multiplayer game still? I don't know. It seems like he's trying to unnecessarily downplays the competition and assuming the best case scenario for MS.

1. The Call of Duty effect: "snip snip" (all of what he said)

Yes, MS gained most of the 3rd party out there for a good amount of years, they had a good slew of exclusive or timed content but their 3rd party strength is still not as strong as Sony's. Squareenix, Level 5, and exclusives like Valkyria Chronicles still give Sony an edge.

Sure MS will want to do the same thing next time around but the market is changing and MS also lost a lot of exclusivity so the market will decide that, not the console companies. There may still be timed content (likely not games though) or even exclusive ones but rare of the latter one (unless it's nothing that important).

I noticed there's no mention of first party here either...are we going to ignore that?

P.S. Funny how he brings up PSN hack issues, price issues, W .ii's nose dive in sales while does not bring up a single problem with the 360..."a few dips here and there" lol. RROD fiasco? Lack of the number of games recently? Sales not keeping up until Kinect's release? A few dips here and there for sure.

The truth is that we don't know what's going to happen next generation, even if they did everything this article says, doesn't explain the fact that other companies will likely come out with their big guns as well. This is fodder for the pro fans.

10. Likes sainraja likes this post
    Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Items NintendoFirefox LogoPSN LogoWii BlackPaper MarioWiiUGran Turismo 53DSPS3 Slim
    Its all assumption when the news broke about the Wii U in 2011 i search for old articles in regards to the next gen (current gen now) and the rumors were just out there maybe 20% of what was being talked about or rumored came to fruition lol

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by radgamer420 View Post
    MS has very strong 3rd party support going into next gen and I know 3rd party developers like Bethesda will continue to work out deals with MS.
    Didn't know Bethesda had an exclusivity deal with MS? Are you talking about Skyrim?

Even PS2 sales were more driven by 3rd party exclusives which is why MS went after those to get them on the 360 as well. GTA and FF by themselves were responsible for alot of PS2 sales as well as the eventual $199 price point. Now if Sony makes PS4 more developer friendly and is priced competitively then its anybody's fight.
    I think you're confusing actual 3rd party exclusivity with "which console does this 3rd party game runs better on" so-to-speak. GTA on PS2 turned out to be timed eventually but for the most part, we never thought it would come out on the Xbox. Technically this was an actual 3rd party exclusive, a better example is FF as you said.

Whereas, the PS3 versions of the 3rd party titles generally had some graphical differences. That has nothing to do with 3rd party strength. 360 being the lead format is somewhat of a strength but if you look at the sales, Live proved to be more of a factor than the few differences no one (other than us - nerds) would know anyway.

But if not then I expect we'll see a replay of this generation. This generation points to a trend where who has the "most" exclusives wont matter as much as previous generations. 3rd party content, price, online service, features and functionality will matter more.
    3rd party has always been more important. The reason why first party was even noticed this time around was because Sony actually went ahead and focused on it more than previously. It has never ousted the 3rd party's importance.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    @Sufi- I'm talking about how Bethesda has always done the timed exclusive DLC with MS with their games like the Fallout games as well as Skyrim. As for PS2 the GTA games were exclusive to PS2 as were the DMC games and FF games so therefore PS2 sold alot more consoles over the Xbox because it didnt have those games. So I'm not confusing anything. Xbox didnt get GTA till almost the end of its life when the exclusitivity deal expired. Lastly I disagree with you about Sony focusing on 3rd party more this gen. Quite the opposite actually. MS focused on 3rd party while Sony focused more on first party to differentiate their console since they no longer had those big 3rd party ips exclusive to their console like they did in the PS2 days. MS got those ips brought over to the 360 so Sony would no longer have the advantage of those big 3rd party ips only being available on their console. So this gen Sony played to their first party strengths.
    Last edited by mistercrow; 10-08-2012 at 04:24.

Forum Overseer
    I did say that Sony focused on first party more this generation.

As for the confusion, that comes from the comment you made about next-gen being anybody's fight if Sony's console is developer friendly.

I was saying that the sales were higher on 360 due to Live rather than hardware. And with that said, majority of those sales were due to the userbase being higher, primarily.

I'm saying that regardless of the next PS3 being the same with friendliness or more, doesn't matter because while that is an issue, it's not big enough to lose the race.
    Last edited by Omar; 10-08-2012 at 04:27.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    I did say that Sony focused on first party more this generation.
    I misread the last part of your post. My bad.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    I did say that Sony focused on first party more this generation. As for the confusion, that comes from the comment you made about next-gen being anybody's fight if Sony's console is developer friendly. I was saying that the sales were higher on 360 due to Live rather than hardware. And with that said, majority of those sales were due to the userbase being higher, primarily. I'm saying that regardless of the next PS3 being the same with friendliness or more, doesn't matter because while that is an issue, it's not big enough to lose the race.
    It may not win the race but it sure doesn't hurt either to have hardware thats more developer friendly and have your multiplatform games always look and play equal or better than the competition. Personally I think PS4 will have more traditional architecture.
    Last edited by mistercrow; 10-08-2012 at 04:34.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Rad, remember that Sony got plenty of 3rd party love too. Portal 2 came with free pc version, Dead Space 2 came with free Extraction Move game. N4S The Run had 7 exclusive cars, SSX got Mt Fuji, LA Noire got extra missions, AC3 gets exclusive content too, to name a few. Sony got alot of exclusive content from 3rd party, not just timed exclusives. Its easy to think 3rd party left Sony behind but it didn't really. If 3rd party becomes a deciding factor next gen, I think it'll be on Sony's shoulders to make their tech easier to program for.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post
    Rad, remember that Sony got plenty of 3rd party love too. Portal 2 came with free pc version, Dead Space 2 came with free Extraction Move game. N4S The Run had 7 exclusive cars, SSX got Mt Fuji, LA Noire got extra missions, AC3 gets exclusive content too, to name a few. Sony got alot of exclusive content from 3rd party, not just timed exclusives. Its easy to think 3rd party left Sony behind but it didn't really. If 3rd party becomes a deciding factor next gen, I think it'll be on Sony's shoulders to make their tech easier to program for.
    Yeah eventually Sony did but remember earlier in the generation Jack Tretton saying Sony doesn't need to do that? But as time went on Sony realized they were going to have to so yes, now Sony is working out their own 3rd party deals and I applaud them for it. Btw alot (not all) of the content was timed. Mount Fuji for SSX is available on Live now and FC3 is timed as well. But I will say that all of MS DLC was timed while Sony had some that are permanent. But the point is that Sony didnt start doing that until late in this generation. Now next gen if Sony can price their console competitively and aggressively market it I think they could very well end up on top again. Also Sony needs to keep reminding the consumer that online play is free on their console.
    Last edited by mistercrow; 10-08-2012 at 04:58.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Yeah eventually Sony did but remember earlier in the generation Jack Tretton saying Sony doesn't need to do that? But as time went on Sony realized they were going to have to so yes, now Sony is working out their own 3rd party deals and I applaud them for it. Btw alot (not all) of the content was timed. Mount Fuji for SSX is available on Live now and FC3 is timed as well. But I will say that all of MS DLC was timed while Sony had some that are permanent. But the point is that Sony didnt start doing that until late in this generation.
    Yeah Sony was abit $#@!y earlier on. Reality soon came a callin' haha. Better late than never on their part.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Yeah Sony was abit $#@!y earlier on. Reality soon came a callin' haha. Better late than never on their part.
    Yep exactly. And Sony is doing a great job of that now. Thats why I'll be getting AC3 and FC3 on PS3.

Forum Overseer
    It may not win the race but it sure doesn't hurt either to have hardware thats more developer friendly and have your multiplatform games always look and play equal or better than the competition. Personally I think PS4 will have more traditional architecture.
    Yea, definitely more developer friendly would be better.
    Yeah eventually Sony did but remember earlier in the generation Jack Tretton saying Sony doesn't need to do that? But as time went on Sony realized they were going to have to so yes, now Sony is working out their own 3rd party deals and I applaud them for it. Btw alot (not all) of the content was timed. Mount Fuji for SSX is available on Live now and FC3 is timed as well. But I will say that all of MS DLC was timed while Sony had some that are permanent. But the point is that Sony didnt start doing that until late in this generation.
    The thing with the timed content is that it's easy to get so it's going to happen and both sides will have to keep it up.

Now next gen if Sony can price their console competitively and aggressively market it I think they could very well end up on top again. Also Sony needs to keep reminding the consumer that online play is free on their console.
    Price matters but I don't think they will care much about their marketing except the beginning. I can't say that those two things alone will decide that. There's a lot more to do in order to be the top dog and from the way this market is going, I don't think there will be a top dog, ever.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    @Sufi- I agree with everything you just said there.^

Soldier 95B
    My thought is that the Xbox will end up behind the Playstation. While I think it is software and services that will be the focus next gen as well (which Microsoft easily has), it still takes reliable good hardware to run them. MS is not a hardware company, and other than a keyboard and mouse, they really can't produce good hardware. Sony can, and this is what Sony does. I think Sony will lead this gen in a couple years, and will also lead next gen.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    I personally think MS will lead next gen again. It has done really well this gen in carving out an identity that has resonated with dedicated and causal gamers alike. It's done an awesome job with 3rd party, especially CoD etc. The media offerings have also reaped alot of rewards for the company. Sony did really will to keep up despite it all, but I reckon MS will still command a marginal lead next gen unless Sony really pulls something amazing out of it's ass.. It need s to get it's online suite sorted (Vita shows they have clicked in this department) and they need to quit with using alien tech and opt for a more pc like setup. It should be the games and the content that do the talking.

However, if Sonys current innitiatives are an indication of their future intent (F2P, PSMobile, bundle games, PS+, cross buy) then things could sway in Sonys favour, especially if they do something near with gaikai.

Really though, Sony has been last yet has done more for it's gaming community so I couldn't care less if it trails again next gen. The few million between consoles really means $#@! all.

Master Poster
    Items VitaLiverpool360 SlimPS3 FatGoogle Chrome
    Who ever produces the best product, gets my money.

Simple.

(And games, if the next xbox literally feels like it will just be forza, GEOW, halo and with the rest being Kinect, i will skip it)

I have confidence in Sony producing more games that I would want to play, but i feel MS will product a better entertainment/family console, which i have my PC for so not much of a big deal to me)
    Last edited by LfCpS3; 10-08-2012 at 13:47.

Soldier 95B
    The few million between consoles really means $#@! all.
    Something we will always agree on.

Thread Information