Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Citizen

Ultimate Veteran
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Star Citizen

Turns out the guy behind Wing Commander is working on a new game.

Powered by CryEngine 3 too, so it looks really nice.

Veteran
    Items Battlefield 3ArsenalDark Souls
    Exactly the kind of game I have wanted for a long time. The only space sims that have come out in the last 10 years weren't my cup of tea but this could be the business. Looks amazing graphically, will follow with interest over next couple years.

I commend him for making it a PC focussed game, however by 2014 both new consoles will be out and I don't really have any doubt they'll be able to produce the kind of visuals we are seeing here. On a large scale too. So I think he should certainly consider his options on this one, bringing it over to the PS4 / Nextbox afterwards would not be a bad idea. I am sure both Sony and MS will be ringing him up in the near future if they haven't already. Particularly as Sony are more and more willing to allow devs to treat PSN as an open system

3. Likes DarkVincent07 likes this post
    Superior Member
    I've only been waiting 13 years for a new Wing Commander!

It might not be called Wing Commander, but it's blatantly set in the WC universe!! Bring it on.

I'm going to be watching this one closely. I really hope they reach their target funds to get it started.
    Last edited by Bhindi_Bhajji; 10-11-2012 at 11:40.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by Bhindi_Bhajji View Post
    I've only been waiting 13 years for a new Wing Commander!

It might not be called Wing Commander, but it's blatantly set in the WC universe!! Bring it on.

I'm going to be watching this one closely. I really hope they reach their target funds to get it started.
    If you noticed in the video, it refers to the carrier as a Bengal Class carrier and they are in the Vega Sector which are both from the Wing Commander series! Heck, even the enemy ship resembles a Kilrathi fighter!

PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw

Superior Member
    I certainly did notice!

The possible Kilrathi ship looks like either a Dralthi or Sartha, and the Confed fighter look like a variation of the Hornet light fighter!!

Forum Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyClaw View Post
    If you noticed in the video, it refers to the carrier as a Bengal Class carrier and they are in the Vega Sector which are both from the Wing Commander series! Heck, even the enemy ship resembles a Kilrathi fighter!
    There's a lot of nods to his old games as well as some artists..

The fighters on carrier have similarities to both Hornet and raptor as well.
    Really waiting for this one, welcome back mr.Roberts.
    Last edited by jlippone; 10-13-2012 at 19:16.
    'no, no one in their sane mind uses OpenGL on PS3' - Repi
    'nope, PS3 uses a wonderful low-level API called libgcm' - Repi

Superior Member
    Here's the official site:

http://starcitizen.robertsspaceindustries.com/

I was a massive fan of Wing Commander back in the day, in fact I'd stick em' up there as one of my all time favourite series, along with GTA and Assassins Creed.
    Last edited by Bhindi_Bhajji; 10-12-2012 at 13:39.

Veteran
    I'd really like to pledge but putting down money now for a game that we won't see for 2 years and I have no idea if I'll be able to run... ehhhhhh

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Here's the official site:

http://starcitizen.robertsspaceindustries.com/

I was a massive fan of Wing Commander back in the day, in fact I'd stick em' up there as one of my all time favourite series, along with GTA and Assassins Creed.
    Same here, I had it for PC back in the day, along with the SNES version and the 3DO version! I have been waiting for an online multiplayer version of Wing Commander for ages now, I will definitely be supporting this game and can't wait for it to be completed!
    Last edited by MonkeyClaw; 09-10-2013 at 15:58.

PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyClaw View Post
    Same here, I had it for PC back in the day, along with the SNES version and the 3DO version! I have been waiting for an online multiplayer version of Wing Commander for ages now, I will definitely supporting this game and can't wait for it to be completed!
    I still have WC1 on my old trusty Amiga, also the Windows re-release of 1 2 & 3 (The Kilrathi Saga), WC4 and Prophecy!

Out of curiosity I brought a 3DO with Super Wing Commander from ebay cheap, it didn't do it for me though, I think the lack of joystick/keyboard didn't help.

I had the Game Boy Advance release of WC Prophecy, that was a fun port considering how cut down it was.

The SNES version is on EA Replay for the PSP, again difficult without a joystick/keyboard so I couldn't really get into it.

I remember when "Wing Commander Arena" was announced for Xbox Live Arcade, there was a brief moment of enormous excitement, then I saw it and I was extremely disappointed.

Forum Guru
    I still have WC1 on my old trusty Amiga, also the Windows re-release of 1 2 & 3 (The Kilrathi Saga), WC4 and Prophecy!
    Hopefully you have already downloaded the DVD quality patch for WCIV and Prophecy.
    http://www.wcnews.com/news/update/11233
    http://www.wcnews.com/news/update/7428

Also, if you play them with Dosbox and have nvidia GPU, you can force FXAA antialiasing with at least WC3 and WC4.
    - From nvidia inspector find dosbox.exe and force AA, FXAA.
    - From dosbox conf file force opengl or Directx as dosxob overlay mode..
    - Enjoy

Same trick might work with AMD and MLAA, not sure.

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jlippone View Post
    Hopefully you have already downloaded the DVD quality patch for WCIV and Prophecy.
    http://www.wcnews.com/news/update/11233
    http://www.wcnews.com/news/update/7428
    I haven't, but that's because I've not played them in a very long time. I only have a laptop these days and an Alienware X51 (that sits under my TV and is used essentially like a console), these games really need to be played at a desk with a joystick. Something that will have to be rectified if Star Citizen makes it into production.

Also, if you play them with Dosbox and have nvidia GPU, you can force FXAA antialiasing with at least WC3 and WC4.
    - From nvidia inspector find dosbox.exe and force AA, FXAA.
    - From dosbox conf file force opengl or Directx as dosxob overlay mode..
    - Enjoy

Same trick might work with AMD and MLAA, not sure.
    Thanks for the tip, if I do get around to playing them again, I'll have a go...if it works with AMD that is!

Ultimate Veteran
    Minimum and recommended specs have been revealed:

Star Citizen, the new space game from Wing Commander-creator Chris Roberts, has released a new FAQ which reveals the estimated system specs for the game, clarifies how modding will work – it is, in fact, highly encouraged – and what sort of things may be purchasable via microtransactions. Many of the other questions within the FAQ have already been covered in our substantial Star Citizen preview of the game, but it’s good to hear Chris Roberts clarify the fine print on a few points.

The game is two years away, and is underpinned by CryEngine 3, so needless to say the minimum system requirements are far from puny, with only cutting edge tech being able to make the game soar:

Minimum:
    Dual core CPU
    GTX 460
    4GB of system memory

Recommended:
    i7 2500, 2600, 2700
    GTX 670 or better

When it comes to mods, the FAQ stresses how open to modding the game will be:

“Players will be given full control of their game! When operating private servers, players will be able and encouraged to mod the game. It doesn't stop there, though: we hope to institute a ‘mod approval’ process that will allow the best of the best player created ships and other additions to be integrated into the central persistent world as well.”

The FAQ also clarifies payment: a single, one-off purchase of the initial game will suffice. There will be no monthly fee. “Some in-game items may be available as microtransactions,” the FAQ goes on to say, “but we will NEVER sell anything that can’t be acquired through honest (and fun!) gameplay.”

Reassuring. So reassuring in fact, that players are throwing money at the project in huge numbers. In the last five days Star Citizen has scooped up an additional $500,000 in funding, taking it half way to its target of $2,000,000 with 23 days left to go. 9,961 prospective pilots have pledged at the time of writing.

Head over to the Roberts Space Industries website for more details, or take a look at our Star Citizen screenshot gallery to examine the imagination fueling the project.
    via PC Gamer.
    Last edited by Metal King Slime; 10-17-2012 at 20:41.

Veteran
    Everything sounds great. Taking the best bits of MMO's - the big worlds and persistence, and not saddling the player with crap gameplay or subscriptions. But a GTX 670 as recommended spec I spose it is 2 years away after all. Hope they can optimise it really well, nothing annoys me more than horribly optimised PC games.

Also hope he reconsiders the console audience. Frankly everything he is saying is perfectly compatible with Playstation (even mods, if there is the will to do it) and as I said above I'm sure the PS4 will be more than capable of running the game.

Superior Member
    All of this sounds amazing, but most of it will only happen if the pledges go above and beyond the 2 million minimum:

See here:

http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/star-citizen/

Click on the "stretch goals" button and you'll see what needs to be achieved pledge wise for the full experience. I really hope it gets "To Infinity and Beyond" You'll see what I mean if you check the site!

Update: It's now on Kickstarter too:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cig/star-citizen

I hope this will help to reach those "stretch goals".
    Last edited by Bhindi_Bhajji; 10-18-2012 at 21:19.

Superior Member
    Looks like this game is definitely being developed now! The total between the 2 sites is over 3 million now!!

This is awesome news!!!

Forum Guru
    Looks like this game is definitely being developed now! The total between the 2 sites is over 3 million now!!

This is awesome news!!!
    Yes, it is.
    Especially with +15 days to go.

Ultimate Veteran
    Crowdfunding has passed $4 million, less then a million in stretch goals with two days left:

Space is full of big numbers: billions of stars and galaxies, trillions of planets, more asteroids than there is time in all our lives to count them, so it seems only fitting that Star Citizen has gone on to raise a stupendously large amount of money - now over $4 million. With two days to go Roberts Space Industries is making the push to pass $5 million, at which point they'll have unlocked all their stretch goals and sapped the internet of all its money. Find out exactly what it will being below:

At $4.5 million, the game will launch with 60 star systems and giant armoured cruisers for us to fly. Certainly nice things to dablle with, larger universe, larger ships but that's just mass, the next goal adds a little more texture to the world. Because at $5 million Squadron 42's storyline will include 50 missions to flythrough, with "celebrity" voice actors guiding you through the whole way. The universe, too, will expand to 70 systems and alien derelicts will appear in the game. Boardable alien derelicts.

By reaching $4 million, pledgers unlocked the Drake Cutlass. It's a ship designed for local system militias but has been adopted by pirates for its large hold and spread of hard points. You can read more about it over here.

If you're looking at pledging to the project you can jump in on the Kickstarter page.

If you've not heard of Star Citizen or Squadron 42 and you've read all the way to this point then, first, well done and, second, read Paul's preview.

Chris Roberts has said there will be a lot of new updates over the next 48 hours concerning the game, so we'll bring them to you as and when we hear them.
    via PCGamesN.

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    For those that got involved congratulations, $6m hit!

Forum Guru
    Yup, ~$6.25M not bad at all.

Now starts the hard part of actual wait for the game..

Dedicated Member

As it stands, this game has reached $18 million - only $2 million off its target of being fully funded.

The website has lots of information now: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/about-the-game

I must say, it looks remarkable. I'm very tempted to purchase a pledge package.

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    $200 of which is from me and I'm going to be picking up another ship or two soon!

Veteran
    I don't like the way they are actively fragmenting the user-base already. "Pledge before XXX and you get XXX, but not if you pledge after!" It has obviously worked wonders for their money spinning campaign though.

Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by Varsh View Post
    $200 of which is from me and I'm going to be picking up another ship or two soon!
    Nice, what ships do you have? The Constellation looks rather good in my opinion!

Quote Originally Posted by Cyn View Post
    I don't like the way they are actively fragmenting the user-base already. "Pledge before XXX and you get XXX, but not if you pledge after!" It has obviously worked wonders for their money spinning campaign though.
    Yea, I agree. They do claim that everything will be obtainable through the game though, however there was one thing - lifetime ship insurance -that appears to only be obtainable if you pledged before a certain date. That is meant to be a small in-game expense though, so it's not too bad.
    Last edited by Valefor; 09-08-2013 at 16:33.

Thread Information