Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 4 1 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 79
  1. #1
    Extreme Poster
    Sufi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Addison, TX.
    Age
    31
    Posts
    27,848
    Rep Power
    179
    Points
    73,174 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

    Can we find a way to not perma-ban members?

    I feel it's counter-productive to permanently ban members that have been here for years.

    I believe after a certain point in a member's time on here, they should be immune to a permanent ban. I also disagree with bans that go over a month. If a member has reached a certain point where they need more time off, it should still not go over a month.

    Maybe the mods/admins can go by their forum level, irrelevant but just a suggestion.

    We need to understand that people can change over the course of time. It just seems too harsh to permanently ban members over...anything.

    I think it's important to retain people. It's bad enough that a good number of people just drift away. Every time someone gets banned, it feels the equivalence of brain-drain.
    Last edited by Sufi; 10-12-2012 at 01:18. Reason: Meant it for all members.

  2. #2
    Unbound Mercenary
    Kwes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    16,158
    Rep Power
    138
    Points
    436,782 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    So mods and admins should be biased based on a members time here? If a 4 year vet decides to post up shit/porn/spam, or harass other members even when told to stop, why should that person be allowed to get off without punishment? Because they found the site a few years earlier?

    I have a feeling that its not gonna happen. You say that people change over time, and this works in the negative aspect as well, good members can grow bored, and start breaking rules just because.
    Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.




  3. Likes Fenix , Admartian wishes they had posted this first.
  4. #3
    Elite Sage
    Cuguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Age
    40
    Posts
    11,730
    Rep Power
    130
    Points
    3,261,843 (212,741 Banked)
    Items Joker (limited ICON)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    I feel it's counter-productive to permanently ban members that have been here for years.

    I believe after a certain point in a member's time on here, they should be immune to a permanent ban. I also disagree with bans that go over a month. If a member has reached a certain point where they need more time off, it should still not go over a month.

    Maybe the mods/admins can go by their forum level, irrelevant but just a suggestion.

    We need to understand that people can change over the course of time. It just seems too harsh to permanently ban members over...anything.

    I think it's important to retain people. It's bad enough that a good number of people just drift away. Every time someone gets banned, it feels the equivalence of brain-drain.
    Personally, I don't feel like anyone should be above the rules.

    Time on site should not allow someone to get into that much trouble without consequence.

    About two to three months ago I removed the auto-ban feature that automatically banned someone if they hit certain point totals on infractions. I also made the points expire after 6 months.

    If someone who gets in a lot of trouble is going to turn over a new leaf so to speak, then they only have to make it 6 months with no further infraction points.

    Perma bans are not auto bans any longer. It comes down to staff decisions on when a person gets perma banned. Apart from bots, it has been a long time since a member has been perma'd, even longer since an experienced member has been to my knowledge. SO I guess I don't see where this argument is coming from?

  5. Likes Lethal wishes they had posted this first.
  6. #4
    Miqo'te Bard
    Yuuichi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    7,784
    Rep Power
    70
    Points
    11,882 (0 Banked)
    Items New User TitleProtect yourselfFull Metal AlchemistFangDark Souls CoverDemons Souls CoverBattlefield 3Title StyleUser name style
    But perma ban is a last resort. Members are given warnings and small bans before. If a person gets perma banned they did it to themselves by not changing thier attitude after warning, temp bans, and I am sure convo done through pm with mods. I dont see it as brain drain but removing cancer before it spreads. Ie someone sees a person is geting away with it so they do it themselves.
    Last edited by Yuuichi; 10-11-2012 at 14:32.
    Facebook-https://www.facebook.com/gameryuichi I have twitter to https://twitter.com/GamerYuichi I don't always twitch, but when I can you can find my noobness http://www.twitch.tv/yuichimccry,




  7. #5
    Unbound Mercenary
    Kwes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    16,158
    Rep Power
    138
    Points
    436,782 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Isn't this being brought up because Dave was perma banned for constantly insulting other members against warnings to knock it off?
    Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.




  8. #6
    Elite Sage
    Cuguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Age
    40
    Posts
    11,730
    Rep Power
    130
    Points
    3,261,843 (212,741 Banked)
    Items Joker (limited ICON)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by -Kwesnoth- View Post
    Isn't this being brought up because Dave was perma banned for constantly insulting other members against warnings to knock it off?
    If it was because of that, let me shed a little light.

    Dave had been perma banned three years ago by the site owner.

    I removed his ban a few weeks ago with his agreement that if he went back to his old ways of posting, then the ban would be put back in place instantly. No free pass, no considerations, etc.

    I will make this as clear as possible. Time on site, number of posts, all of that... none of it matters if you decide to step outside of forum regs and policies. That is playing favorites, and is unfair to new and recently joined members.

  9. Likes Fenix , Black , Lethal , Ghost , Ixion , Kwes wishes they had posted this first.
  10. #7
    Unbound Mercenary
    Kwes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    16,158
    Rep Power
    138
    Points
    436,782 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I figured it was something like that with Dave's sudden reappearance.

    But I totally agree, just because a person has been a member for a long time, doesn't mean he should get a free pass.
    Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.




  11. Likes Lethal wishes they had posted this first.
  12. #8
    Forum Sage
    DeviousOne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Orlando FL
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Age
    31
    Posts
    9,553
    Rep Power
    65
    Points
    61,675 (1,943 Banked)
    Items NintendoFirefox LogoPSN LogoWii BlackPaper MarioWiiUGran Turismo 53DSPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I think it sucks that Dave got perma ban however I do have faith that the mods and staff made the decision that was right for the situation. If it was me and I was warned multiple times by the mods then if I get perma banned then I had it coming.

    I'll agree he would insult members in the NFL thread but we're talking football and football fans are passionate about there teams I never reported cause I have thick skin and everyone for the most part just gets it.

    Bottom line mods and staff gave him a chance he received warnings and continued to go against the mods like he was above them so he got perma banned. Case closed and lesson learned by all of us here on the forums.

    ~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

  13. Likes Admartian , Lethal wishes they had posted this first.
  14. #9
    Veteran

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Switzerland
    PSN ID
    Cybertox
    Posts
    4,129
    Rep Power
    57
    Points
    95,216 (4,000 Banked)
    the infractions points expiration system is a failure cause it doesnt expire the old earned infraction points. If i will get another warning with points i will get perma banned because the very old infractions didnt expire. Its stupid if i get banned only because of my previous warnings which are very old.

  15. #10
    Elite Sage
    Cuguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Age
    40
    Posts
    11,730
    Rep Power
    130
    Points
    3,261,843 (212,741 Banked)
    Items Joker (limited ICON)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybertox View Post
    the infractions points expiration system is a failure cause it doesnt expire the old earned infraction points. If i will get another warning with points i will get perma banned because the very old infractions didnt expire. Its stupid if i get banned only because of my previous warnings which are very old.

    No you won't...

    we don't have a way to "expire" all previously earned points. Since a perma ban is only done after all of us talk about it, we will see your points were earned prior to all of the rule amendments.

    Since there is no auto-ban, you won't just "be banned".

  16. #11
    Forum Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Bristol!!
    Age
    24
    Posts
    9,088
    Rep Power
    83
    Points
    28,718 (15,799 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Same as me,Cyber. I'm sitting on 5 points for getting an infraction almost a year ago that I still think was the most ridiculous reason for a ban. Mods are always right though I guess…


    BBK. Tapatalking

  17. #12
    Veteran

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Switzerland
    PSN ID
    Cybertox
    Posts
    4,129
    Rep Power
    57
    Points
    95,216 (4,000 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBettaKnow View Post
    Same as me,Cyber. I'm sitting on 5 points for getting an infraction almost a year ago that I still think was the most ridiculous reason for a ban. Mods are always right though I guess…


    BBK. Tapatalking
    Thats exactly what i mean as well. Got an infraction for a very stupid reason which i think mustnt even give an infraction at all. Now if i get another one i might get banned, and saying that somebody will consider if ban me or not doesnt fix the whole situation cause if someone sees my infraction and warnings history will probably ban me. And keeping those old infractions only because mods dont know how to delete them is just stupid.

  18. #13
    Extreme Poster
    Sufi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Addison, TX.
    Age
    31
    Posts
    27,848
    Rep Power
    179
    Points
    73,174 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    When I said they should have a certain amount of time, I didn't mean to discriminate (well I did but not for the wrong reasons, it was because of the spam bots).

    I'm arguing that no one should be banned. Bans that are 6 months long don't make sense either.

    What % of people come back after a 6 month ban?

    As for the notion that if we don't perma-ban them, others will think they can get away with it. Well, if they do something wrong, they will get a hefty ban, which will be a negative reinforcement.

    I guess we can still have perma-ban but we should avoid it. Sort of like the justice system we have in place. Even if you get a life-in-prison, you can be on parole if you show signs of improvement...sometimes even freed.

    I'm just saying that we should loosen it up a bit, to retain members.
    Last edited by Sufi; 10-11-2012 at 15:42.

  19. #14
    Forum Sage
    DeviousOne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Orlando FL
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Age
    31
    Posts
    9,553
    Rep Power
    65
    Points
    61,675 (1,943 Banked)
    Items NintendoFirefox LogoPSN LogoWii BlackPaper MarioWiiUGran Turismo 53DSPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I've been here 3 months and only seen one person being perma banned I don't think the "law" here is out to ban anyone?

    ~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

  20. #15
    Unbound Mercenary
    Kwes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    16,158
    Rep Power
    138
    Points
    436,782 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I came back from a perma ban that lasted over 6 months.
    Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.




  21. #16
    Veteran

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Switzerland
    PSN ID
    Cybertox
    Posts
    4,129
    Rep Power
    57
    Points
    95,216 (4,000 Banked)
    Come, i give you a cookie. You are probably the only one who returned from a 6 months ban.

  22. #17
    Supreme Veteran
    Ixion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    New York
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Age
    24
    Posts
    19,737
    Rep Power
    156
    Points
    64,625 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBettaKnow View Post
    Same as me,Cyber. I'm sitting on 5 points for getting an infraction almost a year ago that I still think was the most ridiculous reason for a ban. Mods are always right though I guess…
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybertox View Post
    Thats exactly what i mean as well. Got an infraction for a very stupid reason which i think mustnt even give an infraction at all.
    You both were trolling. And at the time of those posts, we didn't give any warnings for trolling and went straight to a ban. That wouldn't happen now though, as we're back to giving warnings for trolling and not automatically banning based on points.

    So don't worry, if we ever considered perma-banning you two, we would look at your history and see exactly how bad each offense was. With the current approach, we'll probably only perma-ban members who we notice being a constant nuisance.

  23. #18
    Forum Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Bristol!!
    Age
    24
    Posts
    9,088
    Rep Power
    83
    Points
    28,718 (15,799 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Whatever you say man. Whatever you say. Truth is people got away with a lot worse than what I ever said. All I did was make an observation and you banned me, worse still, my observation was correct.

    Either way - what's done is done.

    Edit: Being on topic. I don't think anyone should be exempt from a ban. If your beng a dick then you should get banned doesn't matter if if you've got 10 posts or 50000 posts. Rules are there for a reason


    BBK. Tapatalking
    Last edited by BBK..; 10-11-2012 at 16:16.

  24. #19
    Veteran

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Switzerland
    PSN ID
    Cybertox
    Posts
    4,129
    Rep Power
    57
    Points
    95,216 (4,000 Banked)
    I got banned by saying that i was disappointed by the vita specs and that they werent really impressive. For that i got banned and i think that was just ridiculous.

  25. #20
    Forum Sage
    DeviousOne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Orlando FL
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Age
    31
    Posts
    9,553
    Rep Power
    65
    Points
    61,675 (1,943 Banked)
    Items NintendoFirefox LogoPSN LogoWii BlackPaper MarioWiiUGran Turismo 53DSPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBettaKnow View Post
    Whatever you say man. Whatever you say. Truth is people got away with a lot worse than what I ever said. All I did was make an observation and you banned me, worse still, my observation was correct.

    Either way - what's done is done.

    Edit: Being on topic. I don't think anyone should be exempt from a ban. If your beng a dick then you should get banned doesn't matter if if you've got 10 posts or 50000 posts. Rules are there for a reason


    BBK. Tapatalking
    Agreed sir! I think the currently approach is going to prevent problems going forward than we wouldve had with a point system

    ~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

  26. #21
    Supreme Veteran
    Ixion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    New York
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Age
    24
    Posts
    19,737
    Rep Power
    156
    Points
    64,625 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBettaKnow View Post
    Whatever you say man. Whatever you say. Truth is people got away with a lot worse than what I ever said. All I did was make an observation and you banned me, worse still, my observation was correct.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybertox View Post
    I got banned by saying that i was disappointed by the vita specs and that they werent really impressive. For that i got banned and i think that was just ridiculous.

    Once again, at the time we could not give any warnings for trolling. We either had to do nothing, or give you an infraction for trolling, which resulted in 10 points, and 10 points automatically resulted in a ban.

    The system was unforgiving for trolling at the time. Now we're using our judgement again. So now you two would just get warnings.

  27. #22
    Forum Sage
    DeviousOne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Orlando FL
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Age
    31
    Posts
    9,553
    Rep Power
    65
    Points
    61,675 (1,943 Banked)
    Items NintendoFirefox LogoPSN LogoWii BlackPaper MarioWiiUGran Turismo 53DSPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I got banned off 3dsforums.com for false accusations of trolling because of a point system. I can't stand that system. I would very much prefer our staff and mods make decisions instead of using a point system.

    ~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

  28. #23
    PSU Community Manager
    Ghost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Posts
    12,562
    Rep Power
    127
    Points
    6,103,978 (100,956 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    I think we need to do the opposite tbh. We need to find a way to perma ban the experienced members. I think auto ban should take effect when you reach 5000 posts. Out with the old, in with the new.
    Click HERE to create your mercenary and get exclusive in-game items.

    THE GREY CARDINAL (eWar Merc) - COVERT SUBTERFUGE (Minmatar Scout)
    CEO of PSU GHOST SYNDICATE - PSU in-game channel: PSU GHOST



  29. Likes -Shafty- wishes they had posted this first.
  30. #24
    Super Elite
    Sir_Scud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    PSN ID
    Sir_Scud
    Posts
    2,069
    Rep Power
    63
    Points
    10,154 (0 Banked)
    Items Final Fantasy IVDark SoulsGuerrilla Games
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    I feel it's counter-productive to permanently ban members that have been here for years.

    I believe after a certain point in a member's time on here, they should be immune to a permanent ban. I also disagree with bans that go over a month. If a member has reached a certain point where they need more time off, it should still not go over a month.

    Maybe the mods/admins can go by their forum level, irrelevant but just a suggestion.

    We need to understand that people can change over the course of time. It just seems too harsh to permanently ban members over...anything.

    I think it's important to retain people. It's bad enough that a good number of people just drift away. Every time someone gets banned, it feels the equivalence of brain-drain.
    Every forum I have been on, I've seen old members who would harass newbies or who felt they were more important than someone else on the forum. Some of the forums I used to frequent were much more lax, those old members had cliques, and would just harass anyone they didn't like. If you were new and had a different opinion, you would be on a shit list of someone.

    If people here got a pass to be giant assholes to others, would that really be better? I don't think it's worth retaining any member on this site if they insult or harass members constantly. People do change both negative and positive. However, people get warnings, if they ignore it, they know the consequences.

    The forum is supposed to grow, but I think members who tend to be more negative and feed on insulting others do nothing to help the forum. New people are not going to join a place filled with assholes who get away with anything because they've posted for a few years. Even if they came back after some time out 6 month ban, most of them are not going to come back "turning a new leaf".

    If someone gets perma'd here, I don't think it's taken lightly. In fact, if this was a certain other site, one poorly made comment would have you at least temp banned. The mods aren't nearly as strict as they could be.

  31. Likes Lethal wishes they had posted this first.
  32. #25
    Forum Sage
    DeviousOne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Orlando FL
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Age
    31
    Posts
    9,553
    Rep Power
    65
    Points
    61,675 (1,943 Banked)
    Items NintendoFirefox LogoPSN LogoWii BlackPaper MarioWiiUGran Turismo 53DSPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post
    I think we need to do the opposite tbh. We need to find a way to perma ban the experienced members. I think auto ban should take effect when you reach 5000 posts. Out with the old, in with the new.
    Well sir if that's the case I will be perma banned by november and Kuro is banned man walking lmao

    ~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

PSU

Playstation Universe

Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission of Abstract Holdings International Ltd. prohibited.
Use of this site is governed by our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

vBCredits II Deluxe v2.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2010-2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.