Ultimate Veteran
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Naughty Dog and Dark Horse partner up for The Last of Us prequel

Dark Horse Comics and Naughty Dog have partnered up to create a graphic novel series based on The Last of Us, the publisher announced today at New York Comic Con.

The series will focus on protagonist Ellie and her life prior to the game's events. Artwork shown at a panel during Comic Con showed Ellie as a child with a new character, another little girl named Riley, in a crumbling city landscape.

The comics will be written by Naughty Dog designer Neil Druckman and Rachel Edidin, contributing author for Valve Presents: The Sacrifice and Other Steam-Powered Stories. The two hope to explore how Ellie grows into the young women we see in The Last of Us.

"In Ellie's world, when you enter into its version of middle school, you can either choose to become a soldier and go out and fight, or you can say no and go out to fend for yourself with the other survivors," Druckman explained, referencing the post-apocalyptic setting for The Last of Us. "Those are the two ways a teenager can live in this world. Ellie believes there is a third way.

"Ellie is living in a world when she wants to be innocent, but can't be," Druckman added. "She'll find things like a CD player and other pieces of civilization before the game's event. She'll get glimpses of the life she can't have."

Dark Horse will also be publishing the official artbook for The Last of Us.

Additionally, Dark Horse will publish a new set of hardcover Mass Effect comics featuring annotations and commentary by franchise writer Mac Walters. The series will be available for purchase on November 7th.

The company will also publish a third Dragon Age comic series, as well as the North American localization of The Legend of Zelda compilation book Hyrule Historia. On the latter, a representative for Dark hinted that bringing the book to America is "the beginning of a long relationship between Dark Horse and Nintendo."
    via The Verge.

I'll probably check it out. Normally, I'm not interested in video game-themed comics but I'm really looking forward to The Last of Us.

Cover art:

Last edited by Metal King Slime; 10-19-2012 at 20:54.
    Thanks to Kwes for the avatar and Sylar for the signature!

2. Likes Kuro likes this post
    Superior Member

Me too I'm excited for the last of us and the sooner I can jump into the world the better, be it in comics or games

Ultimate Veteran
    Some artwork:

5. Likes Kuro likes this post
    ストライク・ザ・ブラッド
    PSN ID
    xAkiRo
    Items YunaLuluBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-11-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XIII-2AtlusFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy V
    Man I love GN's. I'll give this a go as well!

PSN: xThAkIdJxYx Cod Psn:xxAkiRo
    ‎"It's not important to have a long life, the important thing is to have a happy life with your beloved ones"

Ultimate Veteran
    Some more info, as well as the cover art:

On 12th October, 2012 in New York City, at a panel during New York Comic Con, Dark Horse Comics and Naughty Dog announced The Last of Us: American Dreams. We are stoked to be working with Dark Horse and really excited to reveal the first details about the prequel to the public. Here is the first promotional image for the comic book series:

The Last of Us: American Dreams is a four issue comic book series that peels back the layers on the early days of Ellie as it dives into her backstory. It will expose her personality and the motivations that drive her as it explores the first steps of the journey that leads to becoming the character we ultimately meet in the game. Naughty Dog Creative Director and Co-Writer on the series, Neil Druckmann, had this to say about the comic books:

“I wanted to see a story that can stand on its own, so if you've never played the game you’d still be able to read this comic and get an intriguing story with these characters but, at the same time, if you do read this comic book and you play the game, you should get greater depth, a greater understanding of these characters and the world and what’s going on with them.

“The other cool thing is that working on the comic book has helped me develop more of Ellie’s backstory. Because we haven’t finished the game yet, we've been able to weave some of those threads into the story of the game. So there are certain parts as you play the game, if you've read the comic book, you’ll understand what Ellie’s referring to, or have a deeper understanding of what made her make that decision.”

In addition to the comic book series, Dark Horse Comics will be publishing the The Last of Us art book that explores the characters, the infected humans, and the highly detailed, rich world of the game. We will have more information about the art book over coming months.

The Last of Us art book will be released in conjunction with the launch of the game in 2013. The Last of Us: American Dreams comic book series will be coming out in spring 2013. We’ll have additional updates including cover reveals for the comic book issues as they are ready. If you want a complete look into the world of The Last of Us the art book is a must-have. If you want additional insight into Ellie’s character (and a good story to boot) don’t miss this comic series. We can’t wait to share more information with you as it becomes available!
    via PlayStation Blog.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    KungenMartiin
    Really awesome ! Not sure I'll buy the actual comic though. I hate reading, and my severe ADD doesn't make it any better... ;c

Thread Information