Selected Members Council
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Metro: Last Light dev removes multiplayer, focusing resources on single-player

Metro: Last Light will no longer include a multiplayer component when it launches early next year, developer 4A Games announced today on the game's official blog. Multiplayer had previously been revealed soon after the game's 2011 announcement, something the blog notes was "probably a mistake."

"Throughout the development of Metro: Last Light a small, dedicated team had been working on a number of multiplayer prototypes," the entry reads. "After E3, we decided to fold this multiplayer team back into the main group and focus 100% of the studio's resources on the single player campaign. As a result, Metro: Last Light will not ship with a multiplayer component." 4A Games believes that the game's single-player campaign is "what the fanbase cares about the most."

Whether multiplayer will be added post-launch as DLC or an update is uncertain. "Right now we're 100% focused on the single player campaign and not thinking beyond that. We don't like throwing away work though, it's a project we could potentially return to after Metro: Last Light ships."
    via Joystiq.

Good move, I think. I'd like to see more developers take a similar approach.
    Last edited by Metal King Slime; 10-13-2012 at 09:36.
    Thanks to Kwes for the avatar and Sylar for the signature!

Master Sage
    Items User name style

Very happy about this info

Forum Overseer

Good. Unless you're going to completely focus on multiplayer, don't. Too much competition out there.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Great news. If only more developers would do that.

Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    two words

thank god

6. Likes Fon likes this post
    Veteran

PSN ID
    Cybertox
    I always thought that Metro is more of a single player game than a multiplayer one. Good decision was done by the developing team.

Elite Sage
    I could never get into Metro:2033 I tried a few times but never really got it. Admittedly I only bought the game because I wanted to see how I could run it on high settings because it is a beautiful game! Just wasn't very fun for me

BBK. Tapatalking.

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    FonFahbre
    Items Title StyleNew User TitleBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-13-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBettaKnow View Post
    I could never get into Metro:2033 I tried a few times but never really got it. Admittedly I only bought the game because I wanted to see how I could run it on high settings because it is a beautiful game! Just wasn't very fun for me

BBK. Tapatalking.
    There was one part of the game I couldn't get passed by and it was the one in which you had to go through the town with those giant rat things around. The problem was that no matter what I did, they always sniffed me out and killed me so I gave up. The game is awesome though.

It's a good thing that these guys are focusing their efforts on single player!.

Master Sage
    Items User name styleLegend of ZeldaDiablo IIIHeath LedgerJoker (limited ICON)Title Style
    Quote Originally Posted by Blacksite View Post
    via Joystiq.

Yep, most of these games offer under average multiplayer just so they can have multiplayer written on the box, its a shame, but that is the publishers fault in many cases.
    Last edited by Nuvian; 10-13-2012 at 18:12.

Once more into the fray.
    Into the last good fight I'll ever know.
    Live and die on this day.
    Live and die on this day.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBettaKnow View Post
    I could never get into Metro:2033 I tried a few times but never really got it. Admittedly I only bought the game because I wanted to see how I could run it on high settings because it is a beautiful game! Just wasn't very fun for me BBK. Tapatalking.
    Yeah I rented it and was glad I didnt buy it because I couldn't get into it either. Maybe this one will be better.

Quote Originally Posted by HellsJester View Post
    HAHAHAHAHA. Yes. Classic Jim. Love it.

Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Items Olivia WildeArnold SchwarzneggerPearl JamSylvester StalloneScarlett JohanssonAC/DCAppleLegend of ZeldaBruce WillisNintendo 64Gran Turismo 5PlayStation
    Very good news. Almost every developer should strive to do this. Maybe I'll play more games like I used to again.

El Presidente
    Glad to hear it. Never thought 2033 needed it nor does Last Light.

Focus. Control. Conviction. Resolve. A true ace lacks none of these attributes. Nothing can deter you from the task at hand except your own fears. This is your sky.

Superior Member
    Good news. Not every game needs multiplayer. What a breath of fresh air.

I've been following this game for a long time and I hope it delivers.

Super Elite

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksite View Post
    via Joystiq.

LOL They'll be out of business before this game comes out! Don't worry, THQ has been going downhill all year and when they don't sell any games this Christmas, they're going to go bankrupt! If we're lucky someone will buy this game and finish it. Same with southpark.

Counting Mod
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    This is one of the most respectable things I've ever seen and dev do. Bravo for actually doing what so many devs should have done with games of the past. Don't just force in a Multiplayer because you know it gives your product more play time. Not worth it to deviate from what actually matters, the single player.

Currently Playing: ​Skyrim, Far Cry 4
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ The Order:1886

Elite Member
    Items User name style
    Finally Devs are realizing not every game needs multiplayer!
    We need more single-player focused games.

Master Guru
    Probably good news. I'm not against a developer trying multiplayer if done right.

Look at Uncharted for example. It's nothing short of an amazing single player game that didn't need multiplayer but yet ND tackled multiplayer and nailed it.

It all depends on the type of game.

IF the Multiplayer had looked good I would have purchased Last Light day one. As it is now, I'm not paying the best part of 40 for a pretty short single player game, rumoured about 12 hours tops on official forums, I'd finish that in a few days. I will still pick up the game, when it's at the right price.

The Devs have been talking about multiplayer for this game for a long time, a reveal was supposedly close and now it's pulled! Call me cynical but I can see paid Multiplayer DLC announced not long after launch. A shame some gamers think pulling a promised Multiplayer mode is good/funny when it might now end up as paid DLC. I quote "we don't like throwing work away".

Super Elite

Quote Originally Posted by Canine99 View Post
    IF the Multiplayer had looked good I would have purchased Last Light day one. As it is now, I'm not paying the best part of 40 for a pretty short single player game, rumoured about 12 hours tops on official forums, I'd finish that in a few days. I will still pick up the game, when it's at the right price.

The Devs have been talking about multiplayer for this game for a long time, a reveal was supposedly close and now it's pulled! Call me cynical but I can see paid Multiplayer DLC announced not long after launch. A shame some gamers think pulling a promised Multiplayer mode is good/funny when it might now end up as paid DLC. I quote "we don't like throwing work away".
    The multiplayer was probably terrible. THQ doesn't know how to do multiplayer. Look at WWE12 for an example. They probably plan on spending a long time working on the multiplayer and putting it into metro 3 a few years down the road when it actually works. I really doubt that will happen though since THQ won't be around to fund another game in a few months. Speaking of which, don't bother buying any of their games. Since the company will go under, the liquidators will probably push the prices down real fast to try to get as much money back as they can. So I imagine in 4 or 5 months every THQ game, no matter how new will be under $20 (or the Euro equivalent).

Thread Information