Superior Member

PS3 screen flickering when using optical sound - HELP!

I remember having this same problem years ago when I first got my home theatre system, and after weeks of stuffing around with settings I managed to fix it.

Fast forward to today and my PS3 phat died with YLOD and I've got a new PS3 slim. After setting it up the flickering returned. I have no idea what I did 2-3 years ago to fix it and it is hugely frustrating me. I wish the PS3 would just work as well as my Xbox out of the box. Unfortunately I have already formatted the 500gb drive that was in my old PS3 for the new one so there is no way of checking what settings I previously used.

Searching the net shows unhelpful answers such as turning the PS3 off and on again, or unplugging and re-plugging the HDMI cable. This issue happens randomly but frequently and I use PlayTV for FTA TV, so turning it off and on again is massively annoying.

So to sum up:
    1) This only occurs when using HDMI for video and optical for sound from my Samsung HD-BD2 HTIB. I'm not willing to downgrade my resolution using component cables, or use the stereo sound on my TV instead of my optical surround sound.
    2) This is not a HDMI cable issue. I was using the same cable previously, had the same issue and fixed it with the PS3 settings.
    3) This is not the flickering that occurs when the PS3 is changing resolution, such as starting a game or watching a bluray. This is constant white flickering on the XMB, watching video's, everywhere.

Has anyone experienced the flickering issue with PS3 and optical out (which appears to be relatively common via google search) and know what settings in the PS3 should fix it?
    Last edited by Sicarius123; 10-14-2012 at 00:52.
    Samsung F8 46" 1080p LCD - Sony PS3 500GB AU

Aussie Gamer!

Master Guru
    Items Dark SoulsDemons Souls CoverDark Souls Cover
    I've experienced similar issues but with different cables. I think it's because your cable is interfering with other cables you have laying around there.

Some are badly isolated, which can result in messing up your signal.

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrath View Post
    I've experienced similar issues but with different cables. I think it's because your cable is interfering with other cables you have laying around there.

Some are badly isolated, which can result in messing up your signal.
    Just to make sure, I isolated the PS3 to one side of the TV so no other nearby cables can interfere and tried 3 HDMI cables, all of which work with no issue on the Xbox and my Bluray player.

Didn't help unfortunately. I definitely remember there was a setting in the PS3 that when I changed it the issue never happened again. I just have no idea what it was

Aussie Gamer!

Ultimate Veteran
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Just go though each audio setting on the ps3. Also. Look in the samgung options.

Superior Member
    Surprisingly it was a Display setting. Deep Colour Output. Turned it off, and hasn't flickered in a week!

No idea why it only happens with Optical in though.

Aussie Gamer!

Thread Information