View Poll Results: Which OS will falter with the release of Win 8

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Andriod, iOS will be fine.

2 14.29%
  • iOS, Andriod will be fine

1 7.14%
  • Microsoft arent going to be able to compete.

7 50.00%
  • Both Andriod and iOS will suffer.

4 28.57%
Page 1 of 3 1 ... LastLast
    Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Which Tablet OS is going to suffer?

With the impending release of Win 8, the tablet market is about to have a massive upheaval, on a level you have yet to see. This time next year there will be no netbook market.

So with a cramped market whose going to get squeezed out? The major players (HP,Dell, Acer etc) are coming, and they aren't going to be messing around.

Who do you think will fall?

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Woot first vote, and it's against Microsoft.

I don't think they are going to be able to compete. Sure, at first, they'll get some good sales. That'll trickle off with the mediocre amount of content that is tablet specific. Otherwise, one could use a netbook, small notebook, etc.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    I think Microsoft will be right there with Android and iOS in terms of sales. Have to give their tablets a good year to really tell though.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    Even though i'm tempted by Surface, Microsoft ain't got what it takes to de-throne the most valuable company in NA (Apple)

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    Wlell Ill put it this way...what ar epeople going to buy in a years time?

Samsung Galaxy Note with Andriod

or

HP Tablet with Windows 8, Office etc....

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Quote Originally Posted by Lethal_NFS View Post
    I think Microsoft will be right there with Android and iOS in terms of sales. Have to give their tablets a good year to really tell though.
    Yeah, that's a dream that won't come true. Sorry.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post

or

The iOS and Android platforms have had much time to mature and attract support. It is unrealistic to think that window 8 can match them right off the bat. That being said, microsoft has been developing OS forever now, and the Surface looks sexy with all it offers.
    Still Apple and Android will thrive.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Microsoft doesn't go far when it comes to releasing things that are already in consumers hands.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    And add that with the bad rep win8 is getting for ruining PC as an open platform, you can see that its an uphill battle for MS

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by itachi73378 View Post
    The iOS and Android platforms have had much time to mature and attract support. It is unrealistic to think that window 8 can match them right off the bat. That being said, microsoft has been developing OS forever now, and the Surface looks sexy with all it offers.
    I think the market will increase initially, as Windows tablets are going to replace netbook users.
    But Windows 8 is a true mutli threaded, multi app application.
    Neither Android or iOS can boast that.
    But slowly one of these other companies is going to get squeezed.
    RT tablets I don't think will be a huge hit, but the true x86 tablets have literally years and years of "apps", which are more powerful and more mature than either of the other 2 have to offer.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim

or

In that case I see most of the market just choosing to go with a cheap laptop...

The appeal of tablet OS is not necessarily fully-fledged functionality; it's portability mixed in with niche apps etc. Will MS tablet sell? Perhaps. But it wouldn't be selling necessarily on features.

#IndieStation4 and proud of it.

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    none of them are goin anywhere its good for us consumers it gives us optons and makes them innovate more so we choose their product over the rest.

13. Likes Admartian likes this post
    Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    none of them are goin anywhere its good for us consumers it gives us optons and makes them innovate more so we choose their product over the rest.
    This.

I don't think Apple and MS have yet to grasp this logic though (MS more so than Apple to be fair).

Forum Sage
    Even though i'm tempted by Surface, Microsoft ain't got what it takes to de-throne the most valuable company in NA (Apple)
    Jobs has been dead for over a year. Jobs is apple.

Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Yeah, that's a dream that won't come true. Sorry.
    Oh it will come true. Windows is the largest OS in the world. MS is taking an aggressive approach with its phone, tablet and desktop OS allowing for easy app development/porting between the 3 platforms.

Android only got in the game with the launch of 4.0, and they still have a long way to go. And the only decent selling full android tablet so far has been the nexus 7. Which is pretty sad considering how long android has been around.

And add that with the bad rep win8 is getting for ruining PC as an open platform, you can see that its an uphill battle for MS
    That is complete bull$#@!.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Quote Originally Posted by MATRIX 2 View Post
    Oh it will come true. Windows is the largest OS in the world. MS is taking an aggressive approach with its phone, tablet and desktop OS allowing for easy app development/porting between the 3 platforms.

Android only got in the game with the launch of 4.0, and they still have a long way to go. And the only decent selling full android tablet so far has been the nexus 7. Which is pretty sad considering how long android has been around.

That is complete bull$#@!.
    MS is the largest due to enterprise - not necessarily by choice (it;s like counting bundled games as top sellers...).

The Galaxy Tabs (and now Note 10.1) and Transformer Pads have been decent sellers too. The Nexus 7 has simply been one of the more popular ones....

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by admartian View Post
    MS is the largest due to enterprise - not necessarily by choice (it;s like counting bundled games as top sellers...).

The Galaxy Tabs (and now Note 10.1) and Transformer Pads have been decent sellers too. The Nexus 7 has simply been one of the more popular ones....
    Even if you add up OSX and ios marketshare either XP or 7 crush them. They are roughly on par with Vista's marketshare.

So yes, it is by choice. The world runs on windows.

And I can't think of any full android tablet that expected to sell 6-8 million units like the Nexus 7 is projected to by the end of the year. And I'm sure the 7 inch ipad will cut into android tablet sales even further.

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    I can tell you guys from inside knowledge a lot of big corporations, educational facilities etc are waiting on Win 8 tablets.
    Why?
    Because they can control them,and they come with applications like Office etc, which is so ingrained into corporate business that nothing will ever replace it.
    In short,Windows 8 and tablets might not appeal to the home market, but they will become very strong in the business world.
    What becomes strong in the business world inevitably wins out in the home market.

It's what killed Apple before their 2nd coming with ipods.

Ipads and Android tablets make great 2nd devices, but that's not Microsoft's aim.

Add to that hardware that already drives it self in the x86 market, and you have a market that is set to outstrip the opposition, particularly Android tablets.
    Last edited by mynd; 10-18-2012 at 23:22.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Even if you add up OSX and ios marketshare either XP or 7 crush them. They are roughly on par with Vista's marketshare.

So yes, it is by choice. The world runs on windows.

And I can't think of any full android tablet that expected to sell 6-8 million units like the Nexus 7 is projected to by the end of the year. And I'm sure the 7 inch ipad will cut into android tablet sales even further.
    I can tell you guys from inside knowledge a lot of big corporations, educational facilities etc are waiting on Win 8 tablets.
    Why?
    Because they can control them,and they come with applications like Office etc, which is so ingrained into corporate business that nothing will ever replace it.
    In short,Windows 8 and tablets might not appeal to the home market, but they will become very strong in the business world.
    What becomes strong in the business world inevitably wins out in the home market.

It's what killed Apple before their 2nd coming with ipods.

Ipads and Android tablets make great 2nd devices, but that's not Microsoft's aim.

Add to that hardware that already drives it self in the x86 market, and you have a market that is set to outstrip the opposition, particularly Android tablets.
    Alright guys, alright.

Some people take sales way too seriously on the internet.

How about this, MS to sell a bajillion units, owns 99.9999% of the market share of everything.

Happier? (I hope so lol).

I'm sure they'll be fun devices (and not just a touch screen version of windows like current Windows slates). End of.

PSU Technical Advisor
    With our blinders on as technology enthusiasts it may be hard to see, but this is a good thing for the market. We now have a legitimate third option to choose from.

More competition is better.

This will probably result in both major players (iOS, Android) ceding some ground to Windows, proving MS doesn't screw this up.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulgotha View Post
    With our blinders on as technology enthusiasts it may be hard to see, but this is a good thing for the market. We now have a legitimate third option to choose from.

More competition is better.

This will probably result in both major players (iOS, Android) ceding some ground to Windows, proving MS doesn't screw this up.
    Oh I agree. Unlike some posters on this dear forum of ours, I'm not opposed to any company doing well or be abummer jsut about any time there are any positive news about a company.

In saying that, I don't think it will be the big juggernaut some people are making it out to be. That's all.

I don't care if it is or it isn't a retail juggernaut. If it's a good product that interests me, then it's another option for me as a tech enthusiast to consider.

I(we) win.

These are things I wish some handful posters/members I wish would learn/consider when talking about Sony though....
    Last edited by Admartian; 10-18-2012 at 23:59.

22. Likes Vulgotha likes this post
    Dedicated Member
    Memphis, TN (Home of STAX records, Sun Studios, Beale Street, Graceland, Hi Records, Ardent Studios
    I want to see some reviews. I would think it would be used for business travel if it is powerful enough, but I don't know at this point. A laptop may still be the best choice or those that need more than an iPad.

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by uofmtiger View Post
    I want to see some reviews. I would think it would be used for business travel if it is powerful enough, but I don't know at this point. A laptop may still be the best choice or those that need more than an iPad.
    Which is the point of the Surface Pro.

Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    Microsoft is going to struggle. Windows mobile is a joke and so is the up coming windows 8 metro junk.

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

Dedicated Member
    Memphis, TN (Home of STAX records, Sun Studios, Beale Street, Graceland, Hi Records, Ardent Studios
    Which is the point of the Surface Pro.
    The main issue with the pro is the weight. It is in a different league than the iPad and just short of a slim laptop. Also, the screen is smaller than a 13 inch and it may be harder to type on than a laptop's keyboard. However, the screen is still large enough that it may make it more unweildy than the iPad. In other words, it seems to fit between a laptop and iPad, so I am not sure what the market will be for that type of device. I assume that people that want Office on their tablets will be their largest audience.

I am sure a lot of businesses will try it out, but its functionality compared to a ultra thin laptop will determine its long term fate. I was talking to the head of our IT dept and he said he may get one...mainly to test Windows8 in a touchscreen environment. I will have more of an idea about its functionality compared to laptops and iPads at that point. I don't think it will have any affect on the mini tablet market, though.

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    Not sure why the focus on MS particular offering....

Latitude 10

Windows 8 tablet with a resolution of 1366 by 768 pixels.
    Intel’s Atom system-on-a-chip processor with 2GB of RAM.U
    p to 128GB of flash storage, as well as front and back camera.

Samsung Ativ Smart PC 500T

Intel® Atom™ Processor Z2760
    CPU Clock Speed (Max.): 1.50 GHz
    CPU Cache: 2 x 512KB
    Screen Size: 11.6″
    1366 x 768 Screen Resolution

Elite Pad 9000

Weight:1.5 pounds
    Thickness 0.36 inches
    Screen size (diagonal) 10.1 inches
    CPU brand Intel
    CPU family Clover Trail
    RAM size 2 GB

Acer Iconia W510

W510 packs a Clover Trail-based Atom processor, 2GB of RAM, a 10.1-inch display, and will cost roughly $500 for the 32GB SSD mode

Thread Information