Latest PSU headlines:

Ultimate Veteran
    Items DreamcastPlayStationNintendoBullyGTA ClaudeFinal Fantasy IX
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Yoshida explains content disparity between US, EU and JPN stores

Do you have multiple PlayStation Network IDs so you can access the PlayStation Store in different countries?

Lots of PlayStation 3 owners do. And so does Sony worldwide studios boss and avid gamer Shuhei Yoshida.

One of the most long-standing complaint against Sony's PlayStation Store set up is that the content differs by region. Because Sony Computer Entertainment divisions operate independently, what's released on the US Store may not be released on the European Store, and vice versa.

Sometimes content that appears on the US Store fails to turn up on the European Store in a timely fashion or not at all. Recent high-profile examples include the disparity between release dates for the superb Walking Dead series, Retro City Rampage, and the mysterious case of the missing-in-action Valve FPS Counter-Strike: Global Offensive.

There are a number of reasons for these delays. Sony's regional approach means games must be submitted to SCEA and SCEE separately. Each has their own QA and certification process and each signs their own contracts with publishers and developers. It means games can pass certification in the US and fail in Europe, for whatever reason.

Localisation often causes delays, too. Europe suffers here, because of the sheer number of languages that must be dealt with. But Sony fans point to Microsoft and Xbox Live Arcade, which does not appear to suffer similar issues. Microsoft's global system means games almost always launch day and date in the US and Europe.

Yoshida, who has impressed PlayStation fans with his honest approach to interviews and willingness to engage fans on Twitter, took to the comments section of the PlayStation Blog to answer concern on this subject from gamers.

"In light of ever-increasing globalization of the (gaming) world, do you see a future for the current regionalized approach to digital distribution, or do you anticipate one global distribution network (including one PS Store, a global SEN account etc)?" asked chrisboers. "I understand there are (legal and contractual) regional restrictions right now, but in five years maybe? Is this something Sony actively pursues?"

"It's a great question!" Yoshida replied. "There are both positives and negatives in the current regional approach, and I admit I have 3 PSN IDs for Japan, US and Europe..."

Then, in response to Skookie30's questions on the subject (including "Why do you need to use the so called unfair muti-region system that 5 years EU haven't got the same love as SCEA & SCEJ when it comes to content?"), Yoshida suggested gamers be careful what they wish for.

"Managing multiple small countries with multiple languages is much more inefficient than managing a large single country," he said. "You should be careful what you wish for. If you want all regions managed by one perspective, one view of the largest country, then you are not in for a good ride.

"Having strong regional representation with regional operation is a great thing to be able to cater to the needs of the market."

Yoshida's comments will come as little consolation to those still wondering about the status of Counter-Strike: Global Offensive on the European PlayStation Store. It launched on Xbox 360 globally and in the US PlayStation Store on 21st August - nearly two months ago.

Valve recently told Eurogamer the game will launch on PS3 on these shores, but Sony has so far declined to comment despite repeated requests.
    via Eurogamer.

3DS Friend Code: 1349-4916-2054

PSU Community Manager
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    What a mess lol. Sony need to get that **** sorted and have just one division to deal with their content.
    Click HERE to create your mercenary and get exclusive in-game items.

THE GREY CARDINAL (eWar Merc) - COVERT SUBTERFUGE (Minmatar Scout)
    CEO of PSU GHOST SYNDICATE - PSU in-game channel: PSU GHOST

ストライク・ザ・ブラッド
    PSN ID
    xAkiRo
    Items YunaLuluBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-11-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XIII-2AtlusFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy V
    Lol wth..man

PSN: xThAkIdJxYx Cod Psn:xxAkiRo
    ‎"It's not important to have a long life, the important thing is to have a happy life with your beloved ones"

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    AcesHigh291
    Sounds pretty garbage, hopefully Kaz sees this as a problem since he's the new head of Sony. From everything I've heard though, Sony is a lot like Capcom in the sense that the Japan and US branches work independently of each other in most cases.

Still, would love to see most games come out day and date globally.
    Follow me on Twitter @AcesHigh291

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post
    What a mess lol. Sony need to get that **** sorted and have just one division to deal with their content.
    Agreed. This is something that Sony really needs to iron out.

Nosce te ipsum
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    We've already known about this with Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo... it's the same for all of them. It's a good description explained on some of the reasons these things have bumps in the road. There are too many differences in regional qualifications for content. So when you see something in EUR and not in NA, and vice versa... it's not something a single division would do anything better with. All the licensing and restrictions, etc., will still be right were they were before.

Soldier 95B
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    We've already known about this with Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo... it's the same for all of them. It's a good description explained on some of the reasons these things have bumps in the road. There are too many differences in regional qualifications for content. So when you see something in EUR and not in NA, and vice versa... it's not something a single division would do anything better with. All the licensing and restrictions, etc., will still be right were they were before.
    Well if MS is able to do regional releases with the same games, then what is going on?

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Sometimes its just the publishers being arses.
    Take Doom BFG for example, it was released on the 16th in USA but only today in Europe don't tell me they needed those extra days to translate the game.
    This is a local shop for local people you have no business here!

Nosce te ipsum
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier 95B View Post
    Well if MS is able to do regional releases with the same games, then what is going on?
    You're saying that Microsoft releases every game on the Xbox 360, for every region, at the same time?

Apprentice

PSN ID
    imINXile
    Would it be safe to say that a region's gaming tastes and preferences play a small role in what content is delivered?..ie. what might sell like crazy in Japan might not do so well in the states..if so then seperate divisions for a worldwide studio might be more effective. Or does almost all the same content eventually wind up on each store? Just curious..

Never had a problem getting the games I want but I see how it can be really frustrating for others having to wait..

Elite Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    Sometimes its just the publishers being arses.
    Take Doom BFG for example, it was released on the 16th in USA but only today in Europe don't tell me they needed those extra days to translate the game.
    That's just down to release dates, NA normally send out new releases on a Tuesday, EU on a Friday.

Obligatory Tapatalk Signature

Soldier 95B
    You're saying that Microsoft releases every game on the Xbox 360, for every region, at the same time?
    Nope.

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk 2

Master Guru
    I can remember making a PSN account from a different region a few times to get things off the PS store.

It certainly would be nice if everyone got the same content.

Nosce te ipsum
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Quote Originally Posted by TDbank24 View Post
    I can remember making a PSN account from a different region a few times to get things off the PS store.

It certainly would be nice if everyone got the same content.
    I have:

NA
    UK
    JPN
    AUS

Mm..waffles..
    PSN ID
    MjW-
    Items VitaiPhone BlackGran Turismo 5PS3 FatTommy Vercetti3DS
    I have:

NA
    UK
    JPN
    AUS
    I have the same but instead of an AUS account I have a Chinese.

I stopped buying from the US store, even though its cheaper.

TA-pa-TA-pa-taPAtalk
    ~Corporate Media Propaganda - Welcome to your Daily Matrix~

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    D3seeker
    Items PS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by imINxile View Post
    Would it be safe to say that a region's gaming tastes and preferences play a small role in what content is delivered?..ie. what might sell like crazy in Japan might not do so well in the states..if so then seperate divisions for a worldwide studio might be more effective. Or does almost all the same content eventually wind up on each store? Just curious..

Never had a problem getting the games I want but I see how it can be really frustrating for others having to wait..
    That certainly is the case with some games/franchises. Some games will never get localized no matter the hounding from the off shore fan bases To make matters worse not all of us like dealing with the language barrier (that last part being more personal but stems from it)

i hate that EU gets better instant collection games then the US does, dead space, red dead redemption, now crysis 2...wtf sony

Super Elite
    I think it also has to do with region code like Japan and NA or region 1. EU, Aus and NZ region 2 etc. I think it has to do with controlling release, because they could region it to be by language but it goes back to VHS days when NTSC and PAL even though you can get away with it digitally.

My personal opinion why they don't do it universally is becuase if you wanted it in English everybody would be flocking to the NA store to buy it because it is cheaper so they lose profits on the product.
    Sent from my computer using keyboard.

Thread Information