Apprentice

Weird free space discrepancy on new HD

Hi,

I bought a new PS3 on Saturday, one of the new models with a 500Gb HD. When checking the system information though yesterday I noticed something very odd. It said the harddisk had 408Gb out of 465Gb free.

I understand the 465Gb, but can't figure out why I have only 408Gb left. All I did was install AC: Revelations and copy a few 100Mb of my saves onto it from my old PS3. No way did that add up to 57Gb.

Does anyone have an explanation for this?

Mo

Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Items Olivia WildeArnold SchwarzneggerPearl JamSylvester StalloneScarlett JohanssonAC/DCAppleLegend of ZeldaBruce WillisNintendo 64Gran Turismo 5PlayStation
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    It's possible it could be the firmware updating you had to do..but still, that's too much space even for that.

Apprentice

Hi,

Only did one firmware update, and that was less than 200Mb.

Not really that worried about the loss of space (still got plenty left, esp since I was used to a 40Gb HD ), but would like to know what is causing it.

Mo

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    Nakatomi_Uk
    Items Intel Core i7PS3 SlimFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VII
    You lose so much for a sort of paging file to the system as you never get anywhere near the 500gb anyway wouldnt worry too much since you have loads of space anyway as you said.

Win 7 Ult 64bit, Gigabyte Z68AP-D3 Rev.1/Bios F8 , INTEL i7 2600k 3.40ghz, Crucial Ballistix Elite 8GB DDR3 1866mhz (1600mhz@1.60v), Crucial 128GB M4 SSD, Seagate 500GB 7,200rpm, Hitachi 1TB 7,200rpm (Back-Up HDD), HIS 7850 2GB GDDR5 PCI-E Card, OCZ Fatality 750 Mod PSU, LG DVD-RAM RW

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    10% for system.

Please help our Final Fantasy Community get off the ground:
    http://forums.final7fantasy.com/

Apprentice

Hi,

Hmm, paging file? That kinda makes sense.

Thanks.

Mo

Ultimate Veteran
    if the hard drive says 500 gigs it dont mean it has 500 gigs. its a little lower then 500 gigs.
    and the bigger the hard drive the less it has. do u follow me lol. you will never fill 408Gb.
    i have a 250 gig ps3 and i still have 180 gigs free lol

Superior Member

Quote Originally Posted by coolguy View Post
    if the hard drive says 500 gigs it dont mean it has 500 gigs. its a little lower then 500 gigs.
    and the bigger the hard drive the less it has. do u follow me lol. you will never fill 408Gb.
    Uh yeah you can easily. If you download all the free games Sony has been giving away you will fill it up in no time after you add in any games you may purchase on your own and if you have music and pictures from your camera on there like I do and Singstar songs...you would be surprised. I have to delete games everytime I get ready to download a new one.

Also you can't just upgrade again or you lose your singstar songs. Those can only be download to a system once.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    lol, I have over 500gb filled up on my 750gb hdd. Newer downloadable PS3 games are like 15gb+ each. I have hundreds of games on my PS3.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    SHAZZMAZZ
    Items PS3 Slim
    what i find stupid is 4 example my 250GB when i fist got it it said i got sum thing like 245GB thats because of of all the stuff on the home screen all that takes up HDD so y does it say 250GB when i got less to fill
    The Last of Us, Anime, Rosie Jones

No matter what race you are or what you look like or your sexuality or where you come from, We are all the same people and we are all bothers & sisters so love each other & don't let anyone tell you any different.

Remember you can't choose what you are from birth but you can choose what you want to become.

Just because you haven't seen them doesn't mean they are not there we all got to have something to believe in.

Elite Guru
    Most harddrives in general give up about 10% of the drive for firmwares, formatting and other thigns related just to the drive itself. the 500GB measurement is also not an exact count it's just a general size rounded to the closest plateau. As for filling 500gb even if you're a plus subscriber, filling 500gb with downloadable games is just kinda gluttonous as you wont even be able to devote time to them all. just download the ones youre going to play and delete the ones you've completed as they're really only glorified rentals anyway.

Apprentice

Hi,

and the bigger the hard drive the less it has. do u follow me lol.
    Yes, well aware of that. When they say 500Gb they mean 500,000,000,000 bytes, which works out to about 465Gb.

And as I said, not that worried about that space. I too doubt I'll ever use it. My old PS3 had only 40Gb and I never ran out on that either.

Mo

Thread Information