Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Forum Elder

Face-Off: Doom 3: BFG Edition

While image quality is mostly identical between the two platforms, it's the Xbox 360 that more closely adheres to the target frame-rate, and thus becomes the most logical choice for those lucky enough to own both current-gen consoles.
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/di...ition-face-off

Ancient
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yungstar 2006 View Post
    guys over at gaf seem to favour the PS3 version due to the differences being minimal with D3 & D1&2 performing better on PS3, better overall package I guess.

"Xbox is about to become the next water cooler”

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by TGO View Post
    guys over at gaf seem to favour the PS3 version due to the differences being minimal with D3 & D1&2 performing better on PS3, better overall package I guess.
    Perfoming better? I initially rented both versions and found that the PS3 version had framerate issues (occassional though) that the 360 version didnt. PS3 version seemed a little overly bright as well which made it less pleasing to the eye than the 360 version which looked darker with better color saturation giving it a more creepy atmosphere. I have to agree with DF on this one. The framerate issues alone on the PS3 were enough to make me end up buying the 360 version.
    Last edited by mistercrow; 10-22-2012 at 21:29.

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    I will post what I posted in the other thread that exists.

The lighting on Xbox looks better than both PS3 and PC. Both PS3 and PC is too bright for some reason.
    Glad to see BFG will be open sourced, let the modding begin

PSU Technical Advisor
    Sadly, this is a travesty on PC. Observe what the vanilla D3 looks like with just three mods (Sikkmod 1.2 being the big one, other two are HD texture packs) made by the fans:

Stripped down PC options, no mod support (as in, the mods up above? They won't work anymore with BFG Edition), and there are actual graphical downgrades- for all the versions. For instance the flash light no longer casts dynamic shadows on ANY of the versions.

I ultimately bought it because I haven't had Doom 3 in my inventory- but I only bought the BFG version, basically, for proper gamepad support and because they removed Doom 3 vanilla off of steam unless you buy the ID pack for $100.

Carmack has promised that BFG will go open source, but can we trust ID? Where is that Rage Editor they promised months ago?

Ultimate Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulgotha View Post
    Stripped down PC options, no mod support (as in, the mods up above? They won't work anymore with BFG Edition), and there are actual graphical downgrades- for all the versions. For instance the flash light no longer casts dynamic shadows on ANY of the versions.
    I actually posted something similar as a status update on Steam before but deleted it shortly after as I thought it was too whiny.

But yeah, it was a $#@! move for id Software to remove the original standalone product knowing that the BFG edition falls short. So you end up paying three times as much. I didn't pick it up; read about it on another forum.

I'm still very much looking forward to Doom 4 as I played through Doom 3 on the Xbox back in the day and enjoyed it, for the most part.
    Last edited by Metal King Slime; 10-22-2012 at 21:34.
    Thanks to Kwes for the avatar and Sylar for the signature!

Do you love GTA? Check out my general discussion thread here!

PSU Technical Advisor
    Quote Originally Posted by Blacksite View Post
    I actually posted something similar as a status update on Steam before but deleted it shortly after as I thought it was too whiny.

But yeah, it was a $#@! move for id Software to remove the original standalone product knowing that the BFG edition falls short. So you end up paying three times as much. I didn't pick it up; read about it on another forum.

I'm still very much looking forward to Doom 4 as I played through Doom 3 on the Xbox back in the day and enjoyed it, for the most part.
    Like an idiot I had already bought it before I bothered researching it. I simply "assumed" what it was, and didn't think twice.

Now I'm paying for it. Still, as long as they release the code for it like they're promising we should see a full migration of all the quality mods. Which will then make it the truly definitive Doom 3 version.

Elite Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Blacksite View Post

I never knew they did this, though it was probably Bethesda that pulled it; given they own id Software.

Feel quite bad for the owners of Doom 3 who would only really need the Resurrection of Evil (RoE) expansion but have to now buy the BFG edition.

Was initially worried that through not buying the BFG version (as I already have the original and RoE) that I'd somehow miss out. Turns out, the BFG version appears to be the gimped one. Shame.

I didnt wanna buy this game having already beaten them on Xbox original along with the co op

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Yungstar 2006 View Post
    That was my experience as well. PS3 version had definite framerate issues and at times would even freeze for 4 or 5 seconds. 360 version ran butter smooth.
    Last edited by mistercrow; 10-22-2012 at 21:22.

Ancient
    Quote Originally Posted by radgamer420 View Post
    Perfoming better? I initially rented both versions and found that the PS3 version had framerate issues (occassional though) that the 360 version didnt. PS3 version seemed a little overly bright as well which made it less pleasing to the eye than the 360 version which looked darker with better color saturation giving it a more creepy atmosphere. I have to agree with DF on this one. The framerate issues alone on the PS3 were enough to make me end up buying the 360 version.
    Re-read my post
    Performance wise D3 runs better on 360 but is not a deal breaker the difference is minor and the PS3 is actually more responsive despite the framerate drops which not everyone will notice but the D1 & 2( I'm assuming they are packed in too) runs a lot better on PS3, noticeably better, so some say the overall package is better on PS3

Sent via Codec
    Last edited by TGO; 10-22-2012 at 22:41.

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    If you have PC version you can toggle between lighting modes by addign this to your config file.

bind "p" toggle r_overbright 1 1.5 2

It will give you 3 levels of brightness 2 is default 1 and 1.5 is probably more doom3 like.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by TGO View Post
    Re-read my post Performance wise D3 runs better on 360 but is not a deal breaker the difference is minor and the PS3 is actually more responsive despite the framerate drops which not everyone will notice but the D1 & 2( I'm assuming they are packed in too) runs a lot better on PS3, noticeably better, so some say the overall package is better on PS3 Sent via Codec
    Who says that? Those random posters on GAF you mentioned earlier? Having played both I have to agree with DF. 360 version is the better overall package. When you've played both let me know.
    Last edited by mistercrow; 10-23-2012 at 18:05.

Soldier 95B
    Yeah, I am finding this to be the consensus over at the Eurogamer forums. Another non-surprise.
    Last edited by Soldier 95B; 10-23-2012 at 14:14.

Master Poster
    PSN ID
    Azrael666
    Items DoomPlayStationDiablo IIIBlizzardDemons Souls CoverDark Souls Cover
    How could they $#@! this up!
    I was so pumped when i heard about the BFG edition but the outcome is mediocre.

Who's going to play D1/D2 on 320x240?
    Technical issues with D3... meh meh meh

Back to PC where i can play D1/D2 in HD and modded D3 :\

Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    Third party title. 360 looks darker. PS3 looks brighter. Repeat.

As for Doom, I already own all 3 from last years QuakeCon pack. Like a boss

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by mickice View Post
    Third party title. 360 looks darker. PS3 looks brighter. Repeat. As for Doom, I already own all 3 from last years QuakeCon pack. Like a boss
    Graphics wise thats true. Performance wise the PS3 version suffers from framerate issues that the 360 doesn't so I agree with DF. But if a PS3 is all you've got then its still worth buying. Not a deal breaker.

Ancient
    Who says that? Those random posters on GAF you mentioned earlier? Having played both I have to agree with DF. 360 version is the better overall package. When you've played both let me know.
    I think its mainly down to the performance of Doom 1 & 2, based soley on D3 360 wins hands down
    Obvious the performance of D1 & 2 must suffer a lot on 360 for them to over look the problems D3 on PS3
    Ideally we would want D1 & 2 from PS3 and D3 from 360 for the best package
    I personally don't have any preference, I would buy it solely for D3 in which I agree with you

Sent via Codec

PSU Technical Advisor
    Just modded Vanilla Doom 3 with a bunch of the mods I mentioned.. Holy crap, man. This thing makes my computer actually chug a bit.

And it's a monster. Game is stupid good looking with these mods. Almost as if it came out yesterday. Only real way you notice that its older is with some of the animations and the low poly character models.

Soldier 95B
    Gaf and Eurogamer have posters complaining about mind numbing long load times on the PS3 version. I assume related to BD speed.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier 95B View Post
    Gaf and Eurogamer have posters complaining about mind numbing long load times on the PS3 version. I assume related to BD speed.
    Yeah the PS3 load times are pretty long.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    I bought this for PS3. I can't say I've come across any framerate or freezing problems yet. The load times are a little longer than I'd want, but it's not bad by any means.

This is my first time playing Doom 3, so I have nothing to compare it to.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion View Post
    I bought this for PS3. I can't say I've come across any framerate or freezing problems yet. The load times are a little longer than I'd want, but it's not bad by any means.

This is my first time playing Doom 3, so I have nothing to compare it to.
    Kind of odd. Maybe you had a magic copy that me and DF didnt have.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Kind of odd. Maybe you had a magic copy that me and DF didnt have.
    I played it for a couple more hours yesterday and there were a couple instances where the screen froze for a second before continuing. And I think there were a couple screen-tearing instances too.

Haven't noticed any framerate drops though.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion View Post
    I played it for a couple more hours yesterday and there were a couple instances where the screen froze for a second before continuing. And I think there were a couple screen-tearing instances too.

Haven't noticed any framerate drops though.
    I was just teasing you hence the smiling emoticon. Like I said earlier the framerate drops were occasional and not a deal breaker if you only have a PS3.
    Last edited by mistercrow; 10-24-2012 at 18:45.

Thread Information