Latest PSU headlines:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast
    Power Member
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronSOLDIER View Post
    PS3 dominance in Europe whilst being more expensive than the competition (moreso than other territories).
    3ds isnt doing to bad there either.
    2play:Red Dead, GTA 4,Batman AA,Batman AC,Borderlands 2,Enslaved,Sleeping Dogs,Reckoning,DarkSiders,DarkSiders 2,Dark Souls,Dead Space 2,MGS 3,MGS:PW, XCOM:EU,Hitman Absolution,Biosuck Infinite,Assassins Creed 3,Deus Ex,Castlevania, Halo Wars,Civilization,Forza Horizon,Black Ops,Black Ops 2,MW3,LA Noire,Crackdown,Dead Rising 2,Fallout 3, Fallout:NV,RE 4, Bully

Soldier 95B
    Looks like with the PS3 and 360 so tight in Europe now, we can see how the different genres are being sold on each console.

Veteran
    Items Battlefield 3ArsenalDark Souls
    Europe is Sony's abused wife. Beaten, neglected and exploited but always there to prop up the one she loves. The Nintendo figures show exactly what's wrong over there. The rot didn't start with the devs, it's the gamers themselves. Since they are in the future and everything maybe it's a bleak forecast of where the rest of the world will be in 5 years. Perish the thought

Quote Originally Posted by Soldier 95B View Post
    Looks like with the PS3 and 360 so tight in Europe now, we can see how the different genres are being sold on each console.
    Mmmm, it's not tight though is it. The PS3 is as dominant or more-so in Europe as the 360 is in the US. It's just that because the media is so aggressively american centric that you people do not get a very good idea of what it's like here.

UK it's tight, Europe as a whole, not so. If MS hadn't got such a strong foothold in the UK (inevitably because of language/cultural ties with America) they would be struggling massively here.

Veteran

PSN ID
    Cybertox
    Looks like Japan really likes Nintendo.

Quote Originally Posted by Ixion View Post
    It's pretty odd how Japan doesn't like any American games, yet Resident Evil is still a huge seller there and that's very Americanized now.
    More like "Westernized"

Soldier 95B
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyn View Post
    Mmmm, it's not tight though is it.
    Yup. In fact, a couple years ago MS was leading by a million. But has since lost that ground. They are pretty much neck and neck.

Veteran
    Yup. In fact, a couple years ago MS was leading by a million. But has since lost that ground. They are pretty much neck and neck.
    No... A couple of years ago Sony had a 6 million unit lead. It has only increased since then

Soldier 95B
    Quote Originally Posted by cyn View Post
    no... A couple of years ago sony had a 6 million unit lead. It has only increased since then
    lol!

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/article...says-microsoft

Xbox 360 definitely leads PS3 in Europe, says Microsoft

MON 16 FEB 2009 8:00AM GMT / 3:00AM EST / 12:00AM PST

Third party numbers puts 360 "approximately 1 million units ahead in the aggregate"

Chris Lewis, VP for Microsoft's Interactive Entertainment Business in the EMEA region, has told GamesIndustry.biz that he's very clear on exactly who has the console lead between Sony and Microsoft in Europe - and he says that the third party numbers prove it.

According to data from GfK Chart-Track, says Lewis, the Xbox 360 is ahead by "approximately 1 million units" across Europe, the Middle East and Africa - a common grouping of territories, although Sony tends to talk about PAL regions instead, which also includes Australia and New Zealand.

But regardless of that, and the recent confusion surrounding the next-gen console leadership - after Nintendo - he's definite that Microsoft is beating Sony in the UK and mainland Europe.

"There has been some confusion, but I'm not confused," he said. "Let me say we're confident that we talk about numbers that are meaningful customer numbers, whether they be GfK- or Chart-Track-generated, or otherwise, but they are numbers about shipments into the market, numbers that represent our performance in Europe, the Middle East and Africa - they're not PAL territories in totality, so the numbers I talk about don't include Australia and New Zealand for instance.

"But certainly across the territories that I'm responsible for, all of the data points that I've referenced I'm very confident about. It's really based on legitimate external data sources as much as anything - because it's always easy to talk about your own internal numbers, and we try to encourage people to use some of the analyst data, but also the likes of GfK and Chart-Track - very clearly customer and consumer data points, not necessarily manufacturing data points."

And on the UK and mainland Europe, specifically, he left no room for confusion: "If you look right across my area of responsibility, every data point that I've got, which I trust - and data points we've always used - put us approximately 1 million units ahead in the aggregate."

However, he was quick to play down the any suggestion of arrogance, noting that the company was "highly respectful" of its hardware competitors, and stating his belief that the feeling was mutual.

"It's not about us necessarily fixating on Sony - we like a target to run at, and a barometer of success, and we see Sony most closely aligned to our own platform," he explained. "Therefore we intend to measure our success in some way versus what they've doing."

The second part of the GamesIndustry.biz interview with Chris Lewis, in which he also talks about Microsoft's view on European currency fluctuations and whether or not price changes are planned as a result, is now live.
    Last edited by Soldier 95B; 10-29-2012 at 17:53.

Veteran
    Your argument is based on what a MS employee has randomly nearly 3 years ago? There aren't any numbers from any independent sources that back that up that I have ever seen.

Whereas all you have to do is google console european sales and you'll find plenty of sources detailing that Sony have been ahead for a long time now and have a substantial lead.

This isn't even up for debate amongst most people I can't believe you actually believe that.

Soldier 95B
    So now MS owns Gfk and Chart Track (where the numbers came from)?
    Last edited by Soldier 95B; 10-29-2012 at 20:18.

Power Member
    Items User name style
    Your argument is based on what a MS employee has randomly nearly 3 years ago? There aren't any numbers from any independent sources that back that up that I have ever seen.

Whereas all you have to do is google console european sales and you'll find plenty of sources detailing that Sony have been ahead for a long time now and have a substantial lead.

This isn't even up for debate amongst most people I can't believe you actually believe that.
    Its not quite as black and white as you may think, but I'll discuss in greater detail in a couple of days once we have Sony's latest fiscal sales numbers.
    Lets just say Sony hasn't been building any lead in Eu for some time, but I'm not suggesting their overall lead has disappeared in the rest of the world. Their saving grace for the past 2 years is Japan.
    2play:Red Dead, GTA 4,Batman AA,Batman AC,Borderlands 2,Enslaved,Sleeping Dogs,Reckoning,DarkSiders,DarkSiders 2,Dark Souls,Dead Space 2,MGS 3,MGS:PW, XCOM:EU,Hitman Absolution,Biosuck Infinite,Assassins Creed 3,Deus Ex,Castlevania, Halo Wars,Civilization,Forza Horizon,Black Ops,Black Ops 2,MW3,LA Noire,Crackdown,Dead Rising 2,Fallout 3, Fallout:NV,RE 4, Bully

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Japan isn't enough to offset their WW lead that comes from the US though, they do lead in pretty much every non English speaking country nowadays. Europe as a whole is much closer thanks to to the UK, overall though Sony probably has a few mil lead in Europe to bring them within that 2-3 mil WW margin of the 360 which they've been hovering around for years now.
    Quote Originally Posted by fuzzyreactor
    Nothing more exciting than bringing home a brand new console and watching a download screen for a hour.

yay, next gen!

Forum Elder
    Mmmm, it's not tight though is it. The PS3 is as dominant or more-so in Europe as the 360 is in the US. It's just that because the media is so aggressively american centric that you people do not get a very good idea of what it's like here.

UK it's tight, Europe as a whole, not so. If MS hadn't got such a strong foothold in the UK (inevitably because of language/cultural ties with America) they would be struggling massively here.
    this weeks UK chart (as most weeks) shows it to be anything but tight in the uk.
    http://www.chart-track.co.uk/index.j....jsp&ct=110032

Power Member
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronSOLDIER View Post
    Japan isn't enough to offset their WW lead that comes from the US though, they do lead in pretty much every non English speaking country nowadays. Europe as a whole is much closer thanks to to the UK, overall though Sony probably has a few mil lead in Europe to bring them within that 2-3 mil WW margin of the 360 which they've been hovering around for years now.
    Yeah thats my point, its been stagnent for some time.
    If you took sales from 2010 till now you'd find 1.1:1 sales in the EU, thats to the 360, in other words its been making a marignal inroad. But that might all change when we see the past 3 months figures, thats how tight its been over there.

If EU had carried on like it did from 2006-2010, the PS3 would have passed the 360 by now.

15. Likes mistercrow wishes they had posted this first.
    Master Guru
    Awesome software numbers for the PS3 here. It's clearly the most popular console from a worldwide perspective.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by TDbank24 View Post
    Awesome software numbers for the PS3 here. It's clearly the most popular console from a worldwide perspective.
    lol

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Equinoqs
    Items Big BossFinal Fantasy XIILBP NarikoDemons Souls Cover
    I haven't played a single game on the Euro & US charts, but I have played 2 of the Resident Evil games on the Japan chart. Maybe because in my universe sports & shooter games do not count as videogames unless there are unrealistic physics involved.

Shut up and play games

Veteran
    So now MS owns Gfk and Chart Track (where the numbers came from)?
    But you didn't post any actual numbers, you posted a MS employee talking about numbers that may or may not even exist. If they do exist they do so in isolation. In other words, they're a bunch of bollocks.

Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    Its not quite as black and white as you may think, but I'll discuss in greater detail in a couple of days once we have Sony's latest fiscal sales numbers.
    Lets just say Sony hasn't been building any lead in Eu for some time, but I'm not suggesting their overall lead has disappeared in the rest of the world. Their saving grace for the past 2 years is Japan.
    I'm not talking about the rest of the world though. They have a big lead in europe. That's a fact. The end.

Christ I know this forum is absolutely crawling with 360 fan boys which is why I rarely get involved in these conversations. But seriously. This is almost as bad as the XBL apologist threads.

Quote Originally Posted by Yungstar 2006 View Post
    this weeks UK chart (as most weeks) shows it to be anything but tight in the uk.
    http://www.chart-track.co.uk/index.j....jsp&ct=110032
    And that isn't hardware

Forum Elder
    And that isn't hardware
    threads about console GAME sales.

go figure....

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Yungstar 2006 View Post
    threads about console GAME sales.

go figure....
    And my conversation with Soldier 95B isn't

go figure.......

Soldier 95B
    But you didn't post any actual numbers, you posted a MS employee talking about numbers that may or may not even exist. If they do exist they do so in isolation. In other words, they're a bunch of bollocks.

I'm not talking about the rest of the world though. They have a big lead in europe. That's a fact. The end.

Christ I know this forum is absolutely crawling with 360 fan boys which is why I rarely get involved in these conversations. But seriously. This is almost as bad as the XBL apologist threads.

And that isn't hardware
    L. O. L.

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk 2

Power Member
    Items User name style

And that isn't hardware
    Heres is your numbers, I was going to hold off till the latest round, but heres the figures as of June 2012.

Sources NPD, Mediacreate, Sony and Microsoft.

(Xbox,PS3)
    Totals........68,300,000,...65,610,000
    America......34,100,000,..21,000,000
    Stock.............750,000,......750,000
    Japan..........1,550,000,....8,100,000
    Sub Total... 36,400,000,..29,850,000
    Rest.......... 31,900,000,...35,760,000

I threw in about 750k worth of stock on shelves.
    But as you can see the entire world lead for Sony outside of US and Japan is less than 4 million.
    Now if you want to attribute that all to Eu, thats your choice.

But 4 million is nothing.
    Last edited by mynd; 10-31-2012 at 22:40.

Veteran
    lol still no Europe numbers and still no actual sources to say that MS is level there. I'll check back from time to time to see if you can ever come up with any, but I suspect you won't.

You realise that large wedge called 'rest of world' is not divided neatly up into territories will marginal Sony leads, right? MS is ahead in some of those territories, which rather negates your flawed logic, doesn't it?

L. O. L.

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk 2

Power Member
    Items User name style
    lol still no Europe numbers and still no actual sources to say that MS is level there. I'll check back from time to time to see if you can ever come up with any, but I suspect you won't.

You realise that large wedge called 'rest of world' is not divided neatly up into territories will marginal Sony leads, right? MS is ahead in some of those territories, which rather negates your flawed logic, doesn't it?

Like which areas exactly? I mean I could ask you to provide figures about so called leads elsewhere. But youd be guessing, just like I would be guessing. As I said, if you want to attirbute that entire 4 million lead to Eu or not thats up to you.
    But given in terms of global sales Eu is around 40%, then you'd have to conceed at least the majority of that is releated to the Eu.

And if you're really going to suggest that, something like Australiasia or Asia (outside of Japan) is going to significantly impact on the oh wait...Sony counts PAL terriotores as Eu.

See how pointless it is.

Domintaiton is what Sony does in Japan 8:1
    They do not "dominate" Europe. Although I'll admit if you took UK figures away they probably would.

And just FYI, I never said that they werent in the lead in EU, all I said was that that lead, has not grown in some time.
    Last edited by mynd; 11-01-2012 at 01:16.

Master Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by radgamer420 View Post
    lol
    What's funny about that? The PS3 outsells the 360 everywhere except the United States. I like my country but i know it's not the only territory in the world.

Thread Information