Latest PSU headlines:

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself

BDXL drive in PS4/Orbis?

I know info on the BDXL format has been floating around the interwebs since 2010, I wonder what the chances are that the 128GB version will show itself in the PS4/Orbis? I would think since the system is suppose to do 4K video/pictures that this would be the next format for that content...any thoughts?

http://www.blu-raydisc.info/format-spec/r3-spec.php

PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw

Veteran
    Well it does make sense since PS4 it's likely to keep the Bluray format, but we still have got to wait and see.

Ultimate Veteran
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    If the PS4 is supposed to do 4K video/pictures, wouldn't that force consumers to pick up new TVs? I'm content with my HDTV.
    Last edited by Metal King Slime; 10-26-2012 at 23:07.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Blacksite View Post
    If the PS4 is supposed to do 4K video/pictures, wouldn't that force consumers to pick up new TVs? I'm content with my HDTV.
    Not necessarily. People forget that Sony is a hardware and tech company. They are always forward thinking on the stuff they make.

Just another future proofing practice. BDXL makes the most sense if there just happens to be some 4K content being produced.

Just don't expect games to be 4K for a while. If there are some games that might claim to be but they will more than likely be upscaled.
    Last edited by Kauldron; 10-30-2012 at 01:45.

5. Likes D3seeker likes this post
    Ultimate Veteran
    I think that was the case with 1080p. It has yet to become the norm.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    Would the games take longer to load if they used that format?

Dat Guy
    Items Protect yourselfNew User TitleTitle Style
    Quote Originally Posted by Lethal_NFS View Post
    Would the games take longer to load if they used that format?
    probaly be the same loading speed as this gen.

Thank you itachi

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    4K Projectors have been around for more than a decade. It doesn't mean that anyone's making anything that's going to feed a native 4K feed to them. They're still overly expensive and nobody has announced any plance of creating a video disc standard to directly support it. These announcments come out years before they ever make it to production.

Basically this is just dreams and wants.

As for as BDXL - It probably still won't be needed this generation. It would be a nice to have support for it though.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by Blacksite View Post
    The rumors floating around say that it will suppose 4k pictures/video, but not games...again, these are just the rumors floating around, but seeing how Sony does things it is more than feasible that the PS4/Orbis will have this!

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    There's little chance that any 4K games will see the light of day any time soon. What I would expect however is native 1080p in both normal and 3D mode for games. Time will tell!

Veteran
    Items Battlefield 3ArsenalDark Souls
    No doubt it'll be a better BD drive than in the PS3 but 128GB is a bit overkill. Whilst some devs could probably fill it up, by simply compressing nothing, it's hardly a standard practice. Your average PC game install these days is around, I dunno, 12GB? I don't see a ten fold increase in one generation. But like I said, I spose certain developers could take advantage of it like Guerilla did this gen. Think they were one of only a handful to fill up a BD disc.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyn View Post
    No doubt it'll be a better BD drive than in the PS3 but 128GB is a bit overkill. Whilst some devs could probably fill it up, by simply compressing nothing, it's hardly a standard practice. Your average PC game install these days is around, I dunno, 12GB? I don't see a ten fold increase in one generation. But like I said, I spose certain developers could take advantage of it like Guerilla did this gen. Think they were one of only a handful to fill up a BD disc.
    I was just thinking they might push the 128GB discs for 4k video since that will obviously chew up way more space than standard 1080p video, then again they haven't announced any format that supports 4k video yet (that I am aware of at least). For games I think standard Blu-ray is still more than enough, and I don't see game resolution going past 1080p, which if they are able to pull off 1080p @ 60fps for most games I would be ecstatic!

Veteran
    Possibly the only real in-game benefits may be the ability to render cutscenes at 4k. I mean only a very small amount of people would be able to see the stuff even 4-5 years into next gen, unless 4k TV's make a big splash. But hey if the devs have the extra space they may think why not? just throw in some high res video.

Although that would be a big step away from the in-engine cutscenes that most have got on board with over the past few years. Maybe for games like FF

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    D3seeker
    Items PS3 Slim
    BDXL and a faster drive since BD will have been out for a while, unlike with the PS3.

EXTRA upon loads of EXTRA content (or just more better yet), sense the consensus seems set on there just wont be enough power to render games in 4k. Though we all know those games will be FAARRR and FEWWW since we can barely get 8< hours to a game until recently.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    The Latest Rumors about Playstation4 are certainly interesting , we received them couple days ago and here they are for you :
    - Ps4 will get an interesting feature that will allow the player to pause the game and jump to the Main menu (XMB if you want ) and start another application like video chat – PSN titles like dead nation…etc the best part is that the player will be able to pause more than 1 game/app and send them to the background
    - the web browser in PS4 will be improved to the point of playing web-games like farmville …etc and it will support 1080p Youtube videos
    - the OS of PS4 might be a specially designed version of Android OS and it will support voice orders and voice typing for messages , the point of this move is to launch PS4 with a future model of Sony bravia that support multi-touch screen and some PS4 titles will be touch only
    - PS4 will play Blu-ray 200GB discs for movies only , these discs will be played on a 16x BD reader while games will get to 100GB discs only
    - one of the selling points of ps4 is that it will include a small detachable hardware that doubles as an android device with 3g connection , this device will carry ps4 games and psn titles on the road , the screen size will be as big as the one in iphone4
    NeoGaf

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Interesting...but I am going to go ahead and call shenanigans on that last bullet point, I really don't see them doing this since one of the top priorities will be to keep the cost of the system low, now they might have multiple SKU's which one of them might include that, but I really don't see that happening as a standard setup.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    Yeah that is total bs

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    I really can't wait until 2013 so we can all find out more solid details on the system! Next year is going to be awesome!

Veteran
    Would go against everything we've come to expect from Sony. Surely they'll just use the Vita for something in that vein

Hope that game pause feature is true. Something you get used to on PC and with more and more stuff to do on a console it would be much appreciated

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Would go against everything we've come to expect from Sony. Surely they'll just use the Vita for something in that vein

Hope that game pause feature is true. Something you get used to on PC and with more and more stuff to do on a console it would be much appreciated
    On PC some games still crash or glitch out if you switch windows. Why is that not fixed yet?
    The xmb already worked, albeit slow and limited while in game though. They will be sure to improve it.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself

I could see Sony using the Vita like that as well, similar to the Wii U where you could pause the game, switch to the Vita and continuing playing the game...which will bring all the Nintendo fanboys out of the woodwork saying Sony is copying even though the PS3 and PSP has had remote play on certain games for years now...

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by itachi73378 View Post
    On PC some games still crash or glitch out if you switch windows. Why is that not fixed yet?
    The xmb already worked, albeit slow and limited while in game though. They will be sure to improve it.
    True. But windows is a bloated, uncompromising OS at the best of times. Especially Vista. Although I can't recall many crashes due to switching to windows so far on Win 7.

As long as the PS4 has the necessary memory and the tech people to make it happen I can't see it being a problem. One thing you have to hand to MS is how usable they made the 360 for multi tasking with such a limited pool of memory. The PS4 definitely has to have a better optimised OS than the PS3.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    True. But windows is a bloated, uncompromising OS at the best of times. Especially Vista. Although I can't recall many crashes due to switching to windows so far on Win 7.

As long as the PS4 has the necessary memory and the tech people to make it happen I can't see it being a problem. One thing you have to hand to MS is how usable they made the 360 for multi tasking with such a limited pool of memory. The PS4 definitely has to have a better optimised OS than the PS3.
    Lower OS footprint (32mb vs 50mb) and unified architecture help allocated memory more effectively on the 360

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    D3seeker
    Items PS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyClaw View Post
    Interesting...but I am going to go ahead and call shenanigans on that last bullet point, I really don't see them doing this since one of the top priorities will be to keep the cost of the system low, now they might have multiple SKU's which one of them might include that, but I really don't see that happening as a standard setup.
    BS yes (though I'll hod my breadth for the hellofit) But no, 'innovate' would be it, keeping cost down is our hope (on our end) but they will be spending mad $$$ regardless even if it's disproportionate.

the OS of PS4 might be a specially designed version of Android OS and it will support voice orders and voice typing for messages , the point of this move is to launch PS4 with a future model of Sony bravia that support multi-touch screen and some PS4 titles will be touch only
    Yes please!

Thread Information