Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by rycexboi View Post
    I think he meant copy as in with the tablets and the whole apps interface thing.
    Don't think MS copied Apple with the mobile OS, they actually created a completely new interface. Besides, Apple and MS have been copying each other for decades now.... it's certainly not a one way street.
    "you are both the product and the architect of your environment"

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenix View Post
    I wouldnt put Vista in the same category as ME, but thats me.
    Yeah, ME was pretty bad, it is like Fight Club, we just don't talk about it...They should of just polished Vista up better than they did, Windows 7 is what Vista should of been!

-=[ PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw ]=-

Apprentice

Don't do it man, even if it was free, it's still not worth it. Horrible!

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    RUN FORREST! RUN!!!

-=[ PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw ]=-

Ultimate Veteran
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I don't see the need to upgrade from Windows 7 to 8. I can wait for 9, no problem.
    Thanks to Kwes for the avatar and Sylar for the signature!

Master Poster
    I thought this was a good article for those who have installed windows 8: http://www.hanselman.com/blog/Window...ThereItIs.aspx
    PS4|PS3|PS2|PS1|PSVITA|XBOX 360|XBOX|N64|3DS XL|DSi|Gameboy Advance|Gameboy Color|PC

Ultimate Veteran
    Stay away from Windows 8

Administrator
    Items Ghost in the ShellTidusLightningBruce LeeAppleUser name style
    Um... Windows 8 is pretty much exactly like 7... except it has the Metro start menu... which can be bypassed with third-party freeware to give you the old start menu back... which is what I've done... because Metro is ass.

After bypassing Metro, Windows 8 is actually decent.
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.

Elite Guru
    What freeware magic is this of which you speak?

I must have it!

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by *goo View Post
    What freeware magic is this of which you speak?

I must have it!
    http://www.pokki.com/windows-8-start-menu
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.

PSN ID
    o0_StatiK
    Quote Originally Posted by hedcase View Post
    Don't do it man, even if it was free, it's still not worth it. Horrible!
    This, so much this. I was given a free copy through my job. I gave it to my brother. I personally think it wasn't ready for prime-time just yet. After dealing with it every day, I refuse to even install it on my computer, definitely not worth it at all.

Save your money, wait until you hear better things about it.

Administrator
    Some people either like it... or hate it with every fiber of their being.

Master Poster
    I'm actually really used to not having a start menu now after using windows 8 for a long time. I forget sometimes while at work that I have to use the start menu in windows 7.
    PS4|PS3|PS2|PS1|PSVITA|XBOX 360|XBOX|N64|3DS XL|DSi|Gameboy Advance|Gameboy Color|PC

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Quote Originally Posted by PeanutButterMunky View Post
    Some people either like it... or hate it with every fiber of their being.
    I am the hater from every fiber lol. The laptop I bought my wife, had windows 8 on it. She just didn't like it, even though it's pretty easy to use. She just didn't like it at all. I bought her a Win 7 release, and all is well in the house.

I'll NEVER use Win 8 again. PERIOD.

Forum Sage
    I'm going to start buying the parts for my new PC build over the next few months (starting with a Corsair Obsidian 800D tower and Corsiar 1200w modular PSU. Better start with the most boring parts first) and i'm actually really looking forward to getting Windows 8 on that machine.

From what I've seen on my friends machines that are running it is that it really is quite good and the fact the old desktop isn't completely gone just sweetens the deal. Oh... and the boot up time is fantastic.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Wow, saving 11 seconds of your life.... definitely a mover for me. smh

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBettaKnow View Post
    I'm going to start buying the parts for my new PC build over the next few months (starting with a Corsair Obsidian 800D tower and Corsiar 1200w modular PSU. Better start with the most boring parts first) and i'm actually really looking forward to getting Windows 8 on that machine.

From what I've seen on my friends machines that are running it is that it really is quite good and the fact the old desktop isn't completely gone just sweetens the deal. Oh... and the boot up time is fantastic.
    Get the digital Power supply AX1200i. If you do that you can monitor how much power and amperage the PSU is drawing and more.
    http://www.corsair.com/blog/using-li...l-power-supply

I need a new PSU as well but not 1200W, 800 max and this tiem I will be going fully modular and probably the Corsair AX series. My current PSU has 6 Molex and 6 SATA power connectors but I dotn need the molex ones so stuck with them and have to find places to hide them neatly and one of the SATA conenctors cannot reach my DVD drive.
    Last edited by keefy; 03-28-2013 at 14:10.

Veteran
    Items Battlefield 3ArsenalDark Souls
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    I am the hater from every fiber lol. The laptop I bought my wife, had windows 8 on it. She just didn't like it, even though it's pretty easy to use. She just didn't like it at all. I bought her a Win 7 release, and all is well in the house.

I'm with you on this, my mum got a pretty decent laptop with Win 8 on it few months ago (silly woman didn't consult first) and she's not fond of it at all. Most annoying feature is even on desktop mode, when you exit an app, it will put you back on the metro screen.

Forum Sage
    It being quicker is just one of the reasons i'm switching to it. Windows 7 is fantastic, i've had W7 Ultimate since it has been out but i don't see the bad in Windows 8 that everyone thinks is there. My uncle has been using Windows 8 for the last few months now and he thinks it's a step forward for Windows. If my uncle is impressed by it, that is enough for me.

Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    Get the digital Power supply AX1200i. If you do that you can monitor how much power and amperage the PSU is drawing and more.

I need a new PSU as well but not 1200W, 800 max and this tiem I will be going fully modular and probably the Corsair AX series. My current PSU has 6 Molex and 6 SATA power connectors but I dotn need the molex ones so stuck with them and have to find places to hide them neatly and one of the SATA conenctors cannot reach my DVD drive, it is a few years old this PSU and done me well.
    Oh is that what it is for? For the sake of an extra 40 I may stretch and get that one. Yeah i currently have a non-modular Corsair 750TX PSU. I'm definitely going fully modular this time, especially with the 800D case i should have it looking relatively tidy inside without much work.

Only reason i'm getting such a big PSU for is so i can have room for upgrades in the future. I'm planning on building a bit of a beast so i'm going for a Hex core i7 3930K what i'm looking to overclock to around 4.5/6GHz @ 1.4V so i just want peace of mind knowing that the PSU i get will be able to handle the system. Still not decided on GPU's that i'm going to have but they'll be the very last thing i buy, i just know i'm going with Nvidia this time over. I can't be dealing with AMD's piss-poor drivers that always bite me.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyn View Post
    Most annoying feature is even on desktop mode, when you exit an app, it will put you back on the metro screen.
    That's only if you have it set to open in full screen mode instead of normal mode. If you open and close apps in the normal view, closing them brings you to the desktop. I rarely ever see the Metro UI when using 8.

Forum Sage
    Apart from the Metro UI what can be easily avoided, what are peoples main problems with W8? From what i've seen first hand and heard from people using it, they like it. I don't see any of the negative points people have with it.

Forum Sage

Good luck with that because MS isn't going to do away with the metro/modern ui in future windows releases.

Adapt or die.

Going by that logic nobody should bother with a SSD. Everybody should stick with mechanical HDD's.

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBettaKnow View Post
    Apart from the Metro UI what can be easily avoided, what are peoples main problems with W8? From what i've seen first hand and heard from people using it, they like it. I don't see any of the negative points people have with it.
    None. People just like to $#@! about anything and everything (especially when it comes to microsoft). They did the same thing when the ribbon was introduced in office 2007, but they got over it.

The same thing will apply to the metro/modern ui in windows 8 and future windows OS releases.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Quote Originally Posted by MATRIX 2 View Post
    Good luck with that because MS isn't going to do away with the metro/modern ui in future windows releases.

Adapt or die.

Yeah, I don't think so. I'll keep Windows 7 just fine. No need to adapt.

Going by that logic nobody should bother with a SSD. Everybody should stick with mechanical HDD's.

Um, you're on the wrong track. It was about the 11 seconds that was saved by using Win 8 vs Win 7. Didn't have anything to do with the SSD.

None. People just like to $#@! about anything and everything (especially when it comes to microsoft). They did the same thing when the ribbon was introduced in office 2007, but they got over it.

The same thing will apply to the metro/modern ui in windows 8 and future windows OS releases.

Nothing about Win 8 pleases me. I'm over it by using a different OS.

Forum Sage
    Do you intend to use windows 7 forever? Or do you plan to be like one of those fools that is clinging to it a decade later?

What part of: "MS is not going to get rid of metro/modern ui for the start screen" is hard to understand?

I'm aware the difference was just due to the OS, my point is the SSD's speed improvements are similar for general tasks. IF you are berating such speed improvements, then you link of thinking Would apply to the same speed improvements with SSD's.

Have fun in that other walled garden.

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by MATRIX 2 View Post

Adapt or die.

Ah, so people should just like Windows 8 because it is by Microsoft?

Thread Information