Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 ... LastLast
    Elite Sage
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by darksora View Post
    Hope you're all safe. Only found out about this an hour ago.
    How close is it atm?
    Should be making landfall any moment now at the southern part of New Jersey. Just seems really windy, the rain isnt all too be here. Watching it on the news though, they got $#@!ed hard. Mid-thigh high water flooding the streets, 3 meter waves, etc. It's working it's way up the coast though.
    I once ate a dirty sock...don't tell anyone.
    World domination has taken a momentary setback...talk amongst yourselves in the meantime.
    UK>America. its just true

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    Its made land fall at the east coast...

Be careful my u.s.a mates
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

ストライク・ザ・ブラッド
    PSN ID
    xAkiRo
    Items YunaLuluBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-12-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XIII-2AtlusFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy V
    I don't think I'll be able to get much sleep this wind is absolutely annoying.

PSN: xThAkIdJxYx Cod Psn:xxAkiRo
    ‎"It's not important to have a long life, the important thing is to have a happy life with your beloved ones"

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Well turn you're fan the other way mate lmao
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

5. Likes Kuro likes this post
    ストライク・ザ・ブラッド
    PSN ID
    xAkiRo
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XIII-2AtlusFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy V
    Lol you are sooo funny mate.

‎"It's not important to have a long life, the important thing is to have a happy life with your beloved ones"

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Cheers.. its common sense I guess

The wind in you're face, turn the fan the other way. Works for me everytime or just turn it off

8. Likes Kuro likes this post
    ストライク・ザ・ブラッド
    PSN ID
    xAkiRo
    Why thank you for your wise advice Claud.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    You are welcome my little pearl flower

11. Likes Kuro likes this post
    ストライク・ザ・ブラッド
    PSN ID
    xAkiRo
    Pearl flower? Lol ok.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Just working with two words into one and it seems to fit lmao

ストライク・ザ・ブラッド
    PSN ID
    xAkiRo
    Right got ya. Lol

Miqo'te Bard
    Items New User TitleProtect yourselfFull Metal AlchemistFangDark Souls CoverDemons Souls CoverBattlefield 3Title StyleUser name style
    Holy crap on FB George Takei posted an image someone took of a shark swimming in a town in NJ.
    I have twitter to https://twitter.com/GamerYuichi , Also started youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMu7yRGCz8QrTyxaNVR3Tqw I don't always twitch, but when I can you can find my noobness http://www.twitch.tv/yuichimccry,

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    First reported casualty:
    http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...#sha=3b5e552f8

Sad to hear.
    Be Together - Not the same.

Master Guru
    Items Protect yourselfUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Yuuichi View Post
    Holy crap on FB George Takei posted an image someone took of a shark swimming in a town in NJ.

Remember that i'm going to die is the best way I know to avoid trap of thinking you have something to lose, you're already naked, there's no reason not to follow your heart.

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    THUGGEDOUT1
    Items LBP ColeLBP SephirothLBP KratosLBP HelgastLBP EzioLBP Cloud
    Just woke up to see some of the damage caused by Sandy, hope everyone is safe!

"When I was 12, I milked my eel into a pot of turtle stew. I flogged the one-eyed snake, I skinned my sausage. I made the bald man cry into the turtle stew, which I believe my sister ate. At least I hope she did."

Veteran

PSN ID
    Cybertox
    Already 11 people died. Keep safe brothers.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    How are you guys

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    As Hurricane Sandy hits the East Coast leaving millions across the US without power, loss of electricity might be the least of their worries: the projected path of the storm has Sandy hitting as many as 26 nuclear plants.

More than two dozen nuclear facilities up and down the East Coast could be ravaged by a storm expected to be of epic proportions this week.

The storm has already forced the US Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) to declare an "Alert" at the America’s oldest nuclear power plant in Oyster Creek, New Jersey due to high water rising levels.

NRC issued a warning that if the flood waters continued to rise, it could affect the reactor's service water pumps, which are used to cool the spent-fuel pool.

Arnie Gundersen, the chief engineer of energy consulting company Fairewinds Associates, warns in a recent podcast that even if engineers at plants from North Carolina to New England say their plants have been shut down and are safe from disaster, it may already be too late.

During a recording uploaded to the Fairewinds website on October 28, the nuclear expert explains that facilities that are shut-down in preparation of severe storms like Sandy could still contain dangerous radioactive materials in their cooling pools for as long as two days.

“The plant can withstand relatively high winds, but the transmission grid can’t — that’s all those transmission towers that are all over the states,” Gundersen says. “So what’s like to happen is that power lines will go down and the plant will suffer what will call loss of offsite power,” the same thing that happened at Fukushima, Japan.

Gundersen says that once offsite power is shut down, plants will automatically halt its nuclear chain reaction process because that energy will have nowhere to go. “The plant needs to drop its power immediately because there is no wire at the other end to send it anywhere if the offsite power is lost,” he says.

“There’s 26 power plants in the East Coast that are in the area where sandy is like to hit, and hopefully as the storm track becomes better defined, the plants that are most subject to it — likely New Jersey and Pennsylvania —preventively shut down,” Gundersen says. Assuming those facilities preemptively put their nuclear plans on hold, he adds, “will of course minimize the impact: the jarring to the nuclear reactor and its safety systems.”

But even if plants are shut down, though, onsite power will need to be pushed somewhere, which then raises an entirely independent question of how to handle a surplus of radioactive, intense energy.

“When offsite power is lost, the plant is forced to dramatically reduce power real quickly and then it still needs to be cooled,” he says.

“You’ll hear in the next two days, ‘we’ve shut down the plant,’” he says, “but what that means is they stopped the chain reaction. But what Fukushima taught us was that that doesn’t stop the decay heat. There is still as much as 5 percent of the power from the power plant that doesn’t go away when the plant shuts down, and for that you need the diesels to keep the plant cool,” referring to the diesel-powered generators that will control the reservoirs.

“Some of these plants have two diesels, and some of these have three diesels, and they are designed so that if one of these fails then they can still get by,” he says. “As the plant operator, as the people running the plant, it’s a little bit of a nervous time to realize that you’re on your last fall-back,” he warns. “You just hope that’s your last fall-back.”

Even if pools can still be powered and cooled, that doesn’t mean that a chance of a disaster is nil: according to a McClatchy report from 2011, the cooling pool used in the US contain much more nuclear material on average than those in Japan.

Some facilities in the storm’s trajectory, such as the nation’s oldest nuclear plant — Oyster Creek in Lacey, New Jersey — have already pulled the plug for other reasons. In that case, routine maintenance has already allowed the facility a few days to cool down and will likely spare South Jersey from any otherwise imminent disaster. Across the East Coast, though, other sites might still pose a risk.

Speaking to Bloomberg News, Nuclear Regulatory Commission spokesman Neil Sheehan says the agency is prepared to see “an impact to coastal and inland plants” and is planning on stationing inspectors at plants expected to be hit.
    http://rt.com/usa/news/sandy-nuclear-power-plant-500/

JUST IF ANYONE WANTED TO KNOW MORE

Unbound Mercenary
    Raining hard with crazy wind. House is so far undamaged. Gonna go check out the neighborhood when it gets light out.

Keep safe.
    Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    This is crazy $#@!.. I have never been in any type of storm here in northern Ireland, so prayers and thoughts are with all

24. Likes Dave-The-Rave likes this post
    Unbound Mercenary
    Quote Originally Posted by claud3 View Post
    This is crazy $#@!.. I have never been in any type of storm here in northern Ireland, so prayers and thoughts are with all
    Lucky basterd.
    Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Lmao... I guess all the rain makes up for it

Here is footage of an explosion at an Manhattan plant
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1t3CTzlrvAw
    Last edited by claud3; 10-30-2012 at 13:06.

Elite Sage
    Seems like the worst of it had passed here now. Been out of power for fourteen or do hours though haha. Thank $#@! for My new phone though, this thing is amonster on battery. Downed power lines everywhere so it's not even really sage to go walk around. Had one go down afew house over, loudest $#@! idever heard. Sirenswas been wailing for the post few hours though do Ican't even sleep . Someone's house near my gf's roof blew off, really wanna get down there to take a picture though!
    World domination has taken a momentary setback...talk amongst yourselves in the meantime.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Just be safe mate. That's what's important

29. Likes Xelios likes this post
    Elite Sage
    Yeah I'll be alright, thanks though. Fortunately I live in a strange position, I'm at the bottom of two hills and I'm also at the top of two hills, so Idon't have to worry about flooding or anything. I take back what I said though, it's not over lol. Guess I angered the storm God because it just picked up again. I miss electricity haha.

Thread Information