Apprentice

PS3 Slim disk drive failure: Options

So I have an original Slim PS3 (the one with the silver bezel around the power/eject buttons) 120GB which I upgraded to 500GB. Recently I've been having the problems as shown in the video below

http://youtu.be/3JNq8_lqLSo

So according to the video the permanent fix for this to buy the new laser/disc loading unit which I did for ~$26 from Amazon. Installation on the part is straight forward as I'm kinda tech savy.

While I was waiting on the part to arrive (too much gaming, Netflix, ect to be done so being w/o a PS3 for 2 weeks was out of the question) I bought an Open Box/Returned PS3 160GB Slim (the newer one with the complete black bezel around the buttons - not the Super Slim though w/ top loader) for stupid cheap (let's just say south of $160). It works just fine. I have a year warranty on it with the potential of buying a 3 year and I can still return it to the place within a month or 2 months.

So now I'm presented with a few options. Do I

1.) Wait till the part arrives and install it on my old PS3 and then just return the newer one?

2.) Swap my 500GB from old Slim to newer Slim w/ warranty; repair old Slim with new laser/disc unit part and then sell the old PS3 slim w/ 160GB hard drive installed?

I was leaning to #2 because I'd have a newer PS3 with warranty (I know tech spec wise, it's no better than the last Slim) and then I could probably sell my old PS3 Slim (with new part installed and 160GB hard drive) for at least $160. Hell, maybe even throw in a game. The only thing I'd be losing out with on the newer Slim is that it doesn't have the shiny silver around the Eject and Power buttons lol.

Also, if I wanted, with the newer Slim w/ 500GB HDD, I could sell it within the year (while warranty is still active) and get one of the new 500GB Super Slim PS3s (top loader). Used PS3s with factory warranties go really fast especially since the owner can still buy the additional 2 Year Sony warranty as long as they're within the original 1 year Sony Warranty. I figure a warrantied 500GB Slim PS3 can still fetch for about $200If you're wondering why I wouldn't just buy the regular Super Slim and swap my 500GB over to it, the reasoning is because I heard the Super Slims use a 7.5mm laptop hard drive and the regular Slims use a 9.5mm laptop drive and it won't fit in the Super Slim enclosure.

What say you guys?

Apprentice
    Over 100 views and nobody has any input?

Dedicated Member
    I say keep the newer one, repairs have a way of going either way. Since you're an intense user it's better to keep the newer one. The old one will fetch a good price when completely repaired , even without your 500 gb hdd.
    OR
    You could keep both and use one for multimedia and the other for games , or playing LAN based co-op with your mates.

Also this MIGHT interest you
    http://www.3k3y.com/features/
    You're probably on a 4.xx ofw on your console, so it isn't something that'd work right away, but if (God forbid) bluray drive gives away, it might be a good permanent solution.

Kinda drifted off there, any way my 2 cents: sell the old, keep the new.

Apprentice
    Thanks. Yeah, I think I'm going to just keep the newer one and sell the old one. Probably throw in a game or some other goody accessories.

Also that device looks interesting but I think I'll be good with this PS3 considering it already has a 1 year warranty and I can get it warrantied out to 3 years which would put be well into the end of 2015; by which time a Playstation 4 should already be out.

sendkeybox
    The guy above sums it up about the prices, but you do not get less for not having the cases. Also, you can't trade in anything still sealed from the factory at GameStop, so you may want to open that up (it will trade in seperatley anyway, no bundles). Just make sure your systems are in good condition, because they have to either resell those or if they're defective send them back to the warehouse (and you'll get less). They must have the charger, and in the DS's case the stylus as well. But you'll get a good bit for all of that, trust me.

ps3 move charger ps3 controller charger xbox 360 controller charger
    Last edited by sendkeybox; 11-07-2012 at 07:26.

Super Elite
    Option 2 I would go for!
    Sent from my computer using keyboard.

Thread Information