Forum Sage
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Microsoft Surface

Seems to be very little talk about it over here. Did anyone pick one up?

BBK. Tapatalking

Dedicated Member
    Memphis, TN (Home of STAX records, Sun Studios, Beale Street, Graceland, Hi Records, Ardent Studios
    I don't have one, but the head of our IT dept bought one. I am not a fan of it at this point. There are a few issues..mainly the lack of apps (Logmein does not work on it via web or app) and I don't like moving in and out of the old Desktop. Also, the form factor makes it awkward to use in Portrait (besides making it more awkward to hold, if you pull up the Zinio app you get bars at the top and bottom of the screen and it looks no where near the quality of Zinio on the iPad).

Since it doesn't work that great as a laptop (too many things don't work on it) or that great as a tablet (awkward form factor and lack of apps), you end up with a major compromise compared to a typical laptop or an iPad. If I had to have Office in a smaller form factor and could not use a Remote Desktop app, I think I would wait for the Pro version of the Surface or wait and see what Dell and others will be offering with Win8. But that is just my opinion from about 30 minutes of use.

Forum Sage
    From the review I read it seems MS missed the point of a tablet. Kinda glad for selfish reasons as I quite like my ipad and don't need a another reason to buy another tablet. On the other hand I'm annoyed as there still isn't enough competition

BBK. Tapatalking

Elite Member

PSN ID
    Key2001
    Waiting for the Pro version depending on price. If more than $1,100 for the base 64GB model with no keyboard I may wait for Haswell tablets.

Hardware wise there are not many tablets that offer as much as Windows 8 tablets are. The form factor doesn't bother me and is more about taste and what you are going to use it for. As for apps, they will come(probably sooner than later); which won't be so bad waiting for with x86 Windows 8 tablets since they are not so dependent on them.

Forum Sage
    The Pro model does sound very exciting. iirc they are releasing top end ones with i7's, that should be very interesting

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Items NintendoFirefox LogoPSN LogoWii BlackPaper MarioWiiUGran Turismo 53DSPS3 Slim
    Ill wait for more apps and reviews for it ill be in the market in about a month or so

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Thread Information