Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 ... LastLast
    PSU Technical Advisor
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Sounds like they'll need to beef up both the CPU and the GPU. Not really liking the picture this kind of system is putting in my head if its strictly based around this A10 design. It'd have to be a massive departure to be worth anybody's while.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    Considering how sony has repeatedly stated that it aims to be the best, not the first in the market, and how it will only talk about next gen when significant advances have been made, orbis is gonna be no slouch. I recently posted a link where a sony executive says that they are looking in 300fps targets

also here is more precise and clear info
    Last edited by Itachi; 11-03-2012 at 04:04.

3. Likes DarkVincent07 likes this post
    Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Items NintendoFirefox LogoPSN LogoWii BlackPaper MarioWiiUGran Turismo 53DSPS3 Slim
    2013 is gonna be a good year to say the least!

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Veteran
    A little place called none of your **** business. United States.
    Items 360 SlimPS3 SlimNaughty Dog
    If I can snatch up one of these holiday 2013, I will be a very happy man. Sheesh...seems like it was only yesterday I was wondering what the PS3 was going to look like/be able to do. Man I feel old.... lol

I don't really need a water cooler/remote control as of right now.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulgotha View Post
    Sounds like they'll need to beef up both the CPU and the GPU. Not really liking the picture this kind of system is putting in my head if its strictly based around this A10 design. It'd have to be a massive departure to be worth anybody's while.
    If you go by this article, you see how the company wants the ease of use for multi-tasking. The APU will be low power and will basically take all OS functions on itself. The GPU would be taking the gaming part upon itself.

At least that is what is sounds to me like. This article doesn't saying anything about a GPU but the other leaks did confirm one. I would think the GPU would be the most heavily guarded secret.

7. Likes Itachi likes this post
    Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by itachi73378 View Post
    Considering how sony has repeatedly stated that it aims to be the best, not the first in the market, and how it will only talk about next gen when significant advances have been made, orbis is gonna be no slouch. I recently posted a link where a sony executive says that they are looking in 300fps targets
    Well I wouldn't say one throw away comment by Tretton who was outgoing at the time, is "repeatedly".
    I'm still pulled back to this little comment at the end of last year,....4 months before Orbis broke as a project name.

So, apparently, a lot of game developers have recently received the new PS4 and XBox 3 specifications so they can be ready when the prototype devkits drop. And I got ahold of them.
    I tried to leak them to Engadget, but they weren't going to print it without independent confirmation, and no one is going to confirm this $#@! because they like their jobs. But being a jobless student, I figured someone should get some laughter out of this. So, here's the rundown.
    No firm date has been set for either, but currently they are stating that they are both setting to launch for the Holiday season in 2013. Codename of XB3 is "Durango". PS4 Codename is "Orbis".
    Both consoles are going to have Blu-Ray, with support for Single-Layer and Dual-layer, and higher-fidelity versions of their current motion control systems.
    The X-Box 3 is going to have an 8-core 64-bit processor (assumedly an i7 or similar design) rated at 1.2 Teraflops. The PS4 will feature a 4-core 32-bit processor. XB3 will be using a GPU running support for DirectX 11, while the PS4 will be using an OpenGL 4 GPU. XB3 is specified to use 4 GB RAM, and the PS4 will be shipped with 2GB.
    Specifications state that the PS4 will have *NO* hard drive by default, while the XB3 will come with a 500GB Hard Drive with 8GB of Flash memory. The XB3 will also have a 24/7 connectivity system which has not been entirely elaborated on, with coming support for cloud-based connectivity in 2015/2016.
    Why do I have this? Well, let's just say that some major developers like EA games are currently very pissed because the PS4 specs are $#@!ty compared to the next XBox and besides limiting their abilities in making more impressive games for the new Playstation, it's also going to $#@! up cross-platform titles in the same way that the lack of Blu-ray and Standard Hard Drive did with the XBox this generation, and Sony's not listening to their pleas for less $#@!ty hardware. Right now, programmers are pretty much looking at it and comparing the two consoles like one is a high-end gaming PC and the other's a piece of $#@! eMachines unit from Walmart's $200 special (including monitor).
    EDIT: The prototype PS4's will start hitting developers around Q3 2012.
    I think the specs have changed a little bit (64 bits and a hard dirve) from then, but the gist of it is probably still correct.

-I believe Sony was told by 3rd party to go back to the drawing board and told to target 1080p 60 fps 3d.
    -I don't think that was there goal, I believe that's what they have been told is what going to cut it frankly.
    -There is now way the current rumored spec is going to do it, but its a step in the right direction.
    Last edited by mynd; 11-03-2012 at 10:28.

Ultimate Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyClaw View Post
    I think this will be all of us next year:

I'm thinking that this will be Japan next year. We will have to wait.

As far as that old rumor is concerned, I stopped believing at "quad core 32-bit processor".. No one would actually pay a foundry to make such a part. Like, ever.

One last thing. I am NOT expecting the PS4 to have a dedicated GPU in it. It will be APU only. There are no cost gainst to be made between having a GPU with an APU and having a CPU with a GPU. Sony is going to want to save money in the long run of manufacturing this thing.

What you all should be hoping for is that they beef up the graphics capabilities of the APU and mate this thing with fast RAM. Currently, the A10 doesn't mix with GDDR5. Since this not-so-final dev kit is using an A10, it looks hopeful that this is the direction Sony is going in.

And speaking of RAM, expect a good chunk of it to go towards dedicating it towards OS function this time around. Have a great weekend everyone!
    Last edited by Lefein; 11-03-2012 at 13:26.

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefein View Post
    I'm thinking that this will be Japan next year. We will have to wait.

As far as that old rumor is concerned, I stopped believing at "quad core 32-bit processor".. No one would actually pay a foundry to make such a part. Like, ever.
    No, I think that was always wrong, but it is interesting to see this guys comments in context now.
    Nor do I think what he had seen/heard was Sonys final specs.

One way to feel out what the competition is doing is to under-spec your machine to third party then ask them what they expect it to do.

Its a very smart move on Sony's part.
    One last thing. I am NOT expecting the PS4 to have a dedicated GPU in it. It will be APU only. There are no cost gainst to be made between having a GPU with an APU and having a CPU with a GPU. Sony is going to want to save money in the long run of manufacturing this thing.

What you all should be hoping for is that they beef up the graphics capabilities of the APU and mate this thing with fast RAM. Currently, the A10 doesn't mix with GDDR5. Since this not-so-final dev kit is using an A10, it looks hopeful that this is the direction Sony is going in.

And speaking of RAM, expect a good chunk of it to go towards dedicating it towards OS function this time around. Have a great weekend everyone!
    Oi, yous been reading my comments

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    KungenMartiin
    Quote Originally Posted by itachi73378 View Post

also here is more precise and clear info
    300 fps? is that really necessary?

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by KungMartin90 View Post
    300 fps? is that really necessary?
    Not only unnecessary, but also something never stated as being their intent for the PS4.

Forum Sage

Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    is or isn't?

2 A10 would give you 8 cores + 2 GPU's thats no slouch.

I do think its gong to be more or less shelf parts with a custom bus. Sony aren't in much of a position to push for customs chips to the extent MS is.
    Isn't. $#@!ing keyboard is being a little $#@! lately.

Anyway, it kinda will be a slouch as far as I'm concerned. APUs generally aren't very powerful despite what many on here may tout. That's why they're relegated to mobile and entry level platforms like tablets and budget notebooks and desktops. I'm not convinced of anything right now though so just color me skeptical. It's the waiting game all over again in all honesty.

Ultimate Veteran
    Gotta remember, this is going into a dedicated gaming machine, not something running Billions of lines of OS code with a game riding around on top of it. The games will also be written to optimize for the platform rather than a bunch of chunky compatibility with everything from an Alienware to a toaster oven.

That's the beauty of this rumor to me. It's the most believable of them all. The only part Sony really has to put down money on is the RAM and it will increase, by some order of magnitude, the capability of this console. RAM is a scalable part in any platform so going "big" there isn't going to burn you in the end unless you go very exotic (ahem, XDR).
    Last edited by Lefein; 11-03-2012 at 15:20.

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Morganator View Post
    Isn't. $#@!ing keyboard is being a little $#@! lately.

Anyway, it kinda will be a slouch as far as I'm concerned. APUs generally aren't very powerful despite what many on here may tout. That's why they're relegated to mobile and entry level platforms like tablets and budget notebooks and desktops. I'm not convinced of anything right now though so just color me skeptical. It's the waiting game all over again in all honesty.
    The GPU's put into the current gen weren't exactly stellar if you put them in a PC. I mean 128 bit bus? You would have laughed at that on PC in 2006 even. As lef says, you can do a lot more in a closed box with a lot less if your smart about how you hook it all up,

Master Guru
    Items Baby ChocoboPlayStationUser name style
    Well I wouldn't say one throw away comment by Tretton who was outgoing at the time, is "repeatedly".
    I'm still pulled back to this little comment at the end of last year,....4 months before Orbis broke as a project name.

I think the specs have changed a little bit (64 bits and a hard dirve) from then, but the gist of it is probably still correct.

-I believe Sony was told by 3rd party to go back to the drawing board and told to target 1080p 60 fps 3d.
    -I don't think that was there goal, I believe that's what they have been told is what going to cut it frankly.
    -There is now way the current rumored spec is going to do it, but its a step in the right direction.

I have a hard time believing that article considering the specs for both systems. I believe that is a bunch of fluff. lol

Veteran
    Well its a CPU and GPU, its one of the most powerful in its class.

Current A10 are about the same CPU spec as i3.

As for the GPU its around the 5570 performance level.
    So you wouldn't want "just" an A10, its a fairly lower end machine.

And there is no way you would use them to display 1080p 60hz.

So it maybe based on A10 tech, in that it will combine the CPU/GPU, but don't expect it to be the same. They will need to beef up the GPU side somehow.
    Thanks for this explanation, made it clear to me well hopefully they do beef it up and make it good enough to run 1080p at 60 fps.

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigdoggy View Post
    I have a hard time believing that article considering the specs for both systems. I believe that is a bunch of fluff. lol
    Specs for which machine? The ps4, yes as I have said further in, I think it probably was probing by Sony. The Durango kit certainly falls in line with thing we have heard, and this guy mentions orbis before any of knew the code name.

Veteran
    A little place called none of your **** business. United States.
    Items 360 SlimPS3 SlimNaughty Dog
    I agree with Mynd to an extent. I think Sony is testing the waters to see what they can release. I do believe their final Orbis console build will be able to push out 60 FPS @ 1080p, not by choice, but only to compete with what the next generation Xbox will be pushing out in the visuals department.

I don't really need a water cooler/remote control as of right now.

Master Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by unicron7 View Post
    I agree with Mynd to an extent. I think Sony is testing the waters to see what they can release. I do believe their final Orbis console build will be able to push out 60 FPS @ 1080p, not by choice, but only to compete with what the next generation Xbox will be pushing out in the visuals department.

I don't think they are testing any waters. i do believe they got info from other developers and put all that info together. Companies like Crytek on the other hand don't really help because they say "next consoles should have 8GB to 16GB of ram" and I just don't think it's likely to happen like that. Sony could have a bit over 4GB considering ram is getting cheaper. a SSHD would increase the price a bit to much for consoles.

Sony could be using a 3.5" HDD instead of the 2.5" HDD though. I also expect games to at least run at 60fps with at the least a solid 720p. most of the PS3 games while they say it's 720p, it's not native it's quite a bit under actual 720p or a proper 720p setting. but I believe we will see more newer games on the PS4 running 1080p 60fps

Forum Sage

The GPU's put into the current gen weren't exactly stellar if you put them in a PC. I mean 128 bit bus? You would have laughed at that on PC in 2006 even. As lef says, you can do a lot more in a closed box with a lot less if your smart about how you hook it all up,
    Fair enough but I just don't see how using any APU or derivative thereof would be anything but less than stellar. Sony did well this gen with the CPU i.e. Cell-BE, They should continue to advance it and use it. Just my opinion though.

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    The whole 60fps thing a complete misdirection to be honest.
    It doesn't matter if what the "aim" at the end of day, you will see a bucket load of 30fps games because as soon as you give devs more power to render something in half the time, the will instantly load it with more effects and cut it back to 30fps.

60fps is not something you can stick a measuring stick on.
    Most of those PS3 games could have hit 720p 60fps, if they cut down on effects.

Hell both consoles can easily do 1080p 60fps now. The can probably hit 300fps the game will look like a N64 game though.

Quote Originally Posted by Morganator View Post
    Fair enough but I just don't see how using any APU or derivative thereof would be anything but less than stellar. Sony did well this gen with the CPU i.e. Cell-BE, They should continue to advance it and use it. Just my opinion though.
    I agree current specs wouldn't cut it.
    Cross fire two together though....?
    Maybe hook it up to GDDR instead of DDR?
    Last edited by mynd; 11-03-2012 at 22:53.

23. Likes Fijiandoce likes this post
    Master Guru
    I thought the cell processor was originally created for servers and not actually meant for video games. while it did an okay job for what it did, I think it just passed by a hair if anything.

mynd, I think you know what I'm talking about. 720p on the PS3 isn't even 720p as well you wont see 720p 60fps on the PS3 even. with the next consoles I believe 1080p will be more common running at 60fps. honestly, considering where PC's are at right now and where the consoles are at, I believe we will see a positive performance hit on the PS4.

a lot of things sony did this gen was for the future. they were trying to push 1080p TV's on people which worked but they lost that business because of their prices. but what did work was the PS3 and bluray did push 1080p TV's out. I believe they did this not only for the PS3 but for the next console which will properly use native resolutions of 1080p with a high performance consoles.
    Last edited by Bigdoggy; 11-03-2012 at 22:55.

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    Its in devs nature to make games look prettier, you give them more power they will just up what they can do with in the same time.

Telling a dev they can do all their effects in 16ms, will just make them think "well what can we do in 33ms?"

So, I still expect plenty of (prettier) 30fps games.

26. Likes Fijiandoce likes this post
    Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigdoggy View Post
    I thought the cell processor was originally created for servers and not actually meant for video games. while it did an okay job for what it did, I think it just passed by a hair if anything.

mynd, I think you know what I'm talking about. 720p on the PS3 isn't even 720p as well you wont see 720p 60fps on the PS3 even. with the next consoles I believe 1080p will be more common running at 60fps. honestly, considering where PC's are at right now and where the consoles are at, I believe we will see a positive performance hit on the PS4.
    I really don't like how just because of a few sub HD games, suddenly 'most if not all' console games are looked upon as sub HD. All recent games have been NATIVE 720p:

All Uncharted games
    GOW3
    Killzone games
    Resident Evil 5/6
    Assassin Creed games
    Fallout Games
    Bioshock games
    Final Fantasy XIII/XIII-2
    Batman AA and AC
    Skyrim
    Dishonored
    Sleeping Dogs
    Max Payne 3
    etc

In fact I only know 3 games that ran sub HD:
    Resistance 3
    Crysis 2
    Every COD game cuz their engine is a PoS

So can we please stop pretending that consoles can't do 720p?
    Last edited by Itachi; 11-04-2012 at 00:02.

28. Likes Fijiandoce, Wrath likes this post
    Ultimate Veteran
    You can add GTA IV to the list. It ran at 640p on the PS3.

I think Halo 3 also ran at 640p, although I've never played it.
    Thanks to Kwes for the avatar and Sylar for the signature!

PSU Technical Advisor
    Quote Originally Posted by Blacksite View Post
    You can add GTA IV to the list. It ran at 640p on the PS3.

I think Halo 3 also ran at 640p, although I've never played it.
    You what? I'm sorry, I must have eye problems.. I thought I read "I've never played it."

Thread Information