Page 1 of 6 1 ... LastLast
    Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    berts08
    Items User name styleManchester United
Gift received at 11-19-2011 from Cuguy
Message: couldn't find a reason the shop would deny you the purchase, so here ya go

Rumor PS4: Sony's Next-Gen Console Details Emerge

Is Sony ramping up development on the PS4? Will we see it announced next year? These latest rumours sound promising.

Published on Nov 1, 2012
    Orbis is the current name for the PS4, apparently. Sony's next-gen PS3 is only ever being referred to as Orbis, which was a name rumoured a while back.
    A collection of unnamed US developers speaking to VG247 has apparently spilled the beans from a recent developer "disclosure" meeting with Sony, where the next-gen PS4 was discussed.
    The source claimed that a new dev kit, expected in January, is expected to be closer to the final specifications.
    PS4/Orbis Hardware Specs

The hardware, according to the developers, will be based on the AMD A10 APU structure, which combines CPU and GPU into one chipset.
    Though the final architecture is open to change, current A10 models include a 3.4-4.0 Ghz quad-core CPU and a GPU with 384 cores. It's no slouch.
    The developers - who also claim the dev kits come in as many as four models - said that Orbis has either 8GB or 16GB of RAM.
    As for storage, the PS4 is said to include a blu-ray optical drive and a 256GB hard drive "as standard".
    Meanwhile the Orbis will have "no difference" between the PS3 in terms of input and output, and will have WiFi and Ethernet capability and a HDMI output.
    Apparently the hardware is not being developed in Japan.
    The controller was not mentioned by the source, but apparently more details are expected this month.
    PS4/Orbis Software Details

According to the developers, Sony is intending to overcome many of the problems that affected the launch of the PS3, stating its affordability as a key factor.
    If it's based on off-the-shelf technology, rather than expensive in-house tech like the PS3, then this could well be true.
    The "ultimate goal", however, is to create a console capable of running 1080p visuals at 60 frames a second with "no problem", and to create something that will survive technically for years.
    The sources claim the UI for the system has been redesigned, enabling users to press the PS button and travel to "anywhere" on the system - in a similar fashion to Nintendo's use of the Miiverse with the Wii U.
    One example that was given suggested a user could visit the PS Store during a game, purchase any DLC and then return seamlessly to the game.
    "They're trying to make it as fluid as possible," stated the developer.
    Additionally, the source claimed that PS4/Orbis is designed to remain in standby to find and download software updates and patches in the background.
    PS4/Orbis Release Date

No release date was mentioned for the PS4/Orbis, but VG247's source claimed a final version of the dev kit is due "next summer" while an official announcement of the hardware is planned for "just before E3".
    This ties into our earlier speculation that E3 2013 will play host to the next-generation of consoles. Could Sony be gearing up to show off what the PS4 can do next summer?
    Head over to VG247 to see the full details, and judge its truth for yourself.
    http://www.nowgamer.com/news/1660560...ls_emerge.html
    Last edited by berts08; 11-01-2012 at 19:20.

“Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.” Arthur C. Clarke

PSN ID: berts08

2. Likes Wrath likes this post
    Ultimate Veteran
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    if they have final dev kits next summer will the PS4 launch in 2013 or 2014??

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    I am hoping they still include a 2nd GPU on top of the AMD A10 one, I could see the A10 GPU one being used for physics and having a full power GPU for the regular game graphics! If they actually put 8-16GB of RAM in that machine I will be amazed! Imagine what you could do with that kind of RAM! I also hope they use a SATA III controller in Orbis...if they do multiple launch SKU's again I would gladly pay a little extra for a 256GB SSD drive running at 500MB+/sec read/write speeds!

-=[ PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw ]=-

Master Guru
    Items Baby ChocoboPlayStationUser name style
    for sony to make the PS4 affordable and as close to PC architecture as it can get would be the smartest move and would account for many more indie games as well as new indie devs coming out of the wood work. See, this is what made the PS1 so successful because the system was easy to develope for and it wasn't alien tech. If it's true they are going back to this route, we are all in for a treat when this releases.
    PSN ID: Intense_Peanut

If this is true, then the leaks coming after the Jan kits ship should be very interesting. I hope there is a dedicated 2nd GPU with some vram in the final console. A reveal before E3 would indicate a late 2013 launch, I've always thought Nov is the most likely.

Selected Members Council
    I like what I'm hearing about the RAM - there's plenty of it. And the 'Orbis' code name is starting to grow on me.
    Thanks to Kwes for the avatar and Sylar for the signature!

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    KungenMartiin
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyClaw View Post
    I am hoping they still include a 2nd GPU on top of the AMD A10 one, I could see the A10 GPU one being used for physics and having a full power GPU for the regular game graphics! If they actually put 8-16GB of RAM in that machine I will be amazed! Imagine what you could do with that kind of RAM! I also hope they use a SATA III controller in Orbis...if they do multiple launch SKU's again I would gladly pay a little extra for a 256GB SSD drive running at 500MB+/sec read/write speeds!
    as far as i understood 16gb of ram is only for development kit. it's overkill anyway, even for a pc. i think 4-8 gb is enough, esp considering ps3 only has 256 or 512mb.

Dedicated Member
    What we don't know yet, is what type of RAM Sony is choosing this time, because even though the ps3 has 'only' 256 MB of RAM, the RAM is XDR DRAM, that enables immensely high rates. If Sony is going to do 16gb of RAM, I doubt it'd be XDR or XDR 2, but if it is, then Orbis is going to be a beast.

Selected Members Council
    I forgot that there's different types of RAM. But that's still a lot, isn't it?
    Thanks to Kwes for the avatar and Sylar for the signature!

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by KungMartin90 View Post
    as far as i understood 16gb of ram is only for development kit. it's overkill anyway, even for a pc. i think 4-8 gb is enough, esp considering ps3 only has 256 or 512mb.
    While to some it would be considered overkill, but at one time 512MB would of been considered overkill as well...but if they did cram 16GB of RAM in that system imagine being able to cache a huge portion of the game into RAM while you play, bye bye load times between levels/maps/etc.! Just look at the price of DDR3 RAM right now, it is super cheap and by the time the system actually releases it will be even cheaper! I say bring it on!

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blacksite View Post
    I forgot that there's different types of RAM. But that's still a lot, isn't it?
    I don't think most extreme pc rigs go above 16 gigs nowadays, but we've gotta remember that Sony is making a 10 year product, that's supposed to stay cutting edge for at least 2-3 years.. man, these rumours really get me excited for the ps4 XD

Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    I am so excited, can't wait to just see more

Via Tapatalk

Master Guru
    Items Baby ChocoboPlayStationUser name style
    my pc has 16gb of ram in it. in about another year here I may double it for the next music software because each time newer music software comes out and if it's good enough, it gobbles up RAM. recording and panning while having many other hardwares hooked up and mixing with other softwares, I can actually make 16GB gurgle. and that's just working with music.

it's good that PS4 dev kits could be beefed up with ram because I would assume creating a game you will have a lot of programs running and a dev kit needs to support that which would make it easier on the developers.
    Last edited by Bigdoggy; 11-01-2012 at 21:43.
    PSN ID: Intense_Peanut

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkVincent07 View Post
    I am so excited, can't wait to just see more

Via Tapatalk
    Agreed! I can't wait until they officially unveil the system (hopefully next year) so we can see what it looks like! I am wondering what they are going to do to the controller design-wise...

Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    Agreed! I can't wait until they officially unveil the system (hopefully next year) so we can see what it looks like! I am wondering what they are going to do to the controller design-wise...

pause for suspense....

Dualshock 4!

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkVincent07 View Post
    pause for suspense....

Dualshock 4!
    Maybe this round it will actually physically shock you!

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by PS3-The Ultimate Machine View Post
    What we don't know yet, is what type of RAM Sony is choosing this time, because even though the ps3 has 'only' 256 MB of RAM, the RAM is XDR DRAM, that enables immensely high rates. If Sony is going to do 16gb of RAM, I doubt it'd be XDR or XDR 2, but if it is, then Orbis is going to be a beast.
    Early rumors said GDDR5 however a major ram supplier stopped production, so speculation was on ddr4
    Quote Originally Posted by PS3-The Ultimate Machine View Post
    I don't think most extreme pc rigs go above 16 gigs nowadays, but we've gotta remember that Sony is making a 10 year product, that's supposed to stay cutting edge for at least 2-3 years.. man, these rumours really get me excited for the ps4 XD
    its probably 8gigs of ddr3 since ddr4 is very expensive still and games don't need more than 4 gig even in 3D

Another source same story

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    If the rumours are true, dont expect the ram to be available to the games necessarily.
    If the discusison about pausing a game, screwing around online, then going back to the games, is true, then expect a simialr split as the Wii.
    My money would be 4/4 or 6/2.
    Either way total ram isnt going to mean much untill we know how much is usable in game.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    KungenMartiin
    Maybe this round it will actually physically shock you!
    that would be epic and so wrong at the same time xD

Ultimate Veteran
    *scratches chin*

I see Valve and Sony making some hot gamer lovin' next gen.

Power Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    If the rumours are true, dont expect the ram to be available to the games necessarily.
    If the discusison about pausing a game, screwing around online, then going back to the games, is true, then expect a simialr split as the Wii.
    My money would be 4/4 or 6/2.
    Either way total ram isnt going to mean much untill we know how much is usable in game.

What's your take on the GPU\CPU chipset?

If it won't have a dedicated graphics chip, well, i am not seeing the PSnext too good after a few years in.

Ultimate Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulgotha View Post
    What's your take on the GPU\CPU chipset?
    I'll tell you what I think. AMD has a roadmap for igps that will have performance roughly about what the 7750 series can produce. The key here is that the chip is A10-based. It's not actually an A-10. On top of that, final devkits ship out in a few months according to the rumor. That should give us a much better impression of what will end up in the final retail SKU.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefein View Post
    I'll tell you what I think. AMD has a roadmap for igps that will have performance roughly about what the 7750 series can produce. The key here is that the chip is A10-based. It's not actually an A-10. On top of that, final devkits ship out in a few months according to the rumor. That should give us a much better impression of what will end up in the final retail SKU.
    They are also quoted as saying:

"The right time to talk about new advances in hardware is when you can demonstrate a significant leap on the current experience, and something that is going to be attractive."
    The keyword here is 'significant leap', which I think they will need more than a 7750 series GPU built onto a CPU to pull that off! I would be willing to put money on it that they have a standalone GPU along with the CPU+GPU!

Ultimate Veteran
    Or, they have modified the IGPs and are pairing it with GDDR5.. If that's the case, all bets are off. Not going to claim it will be the Godzilla of gaming, but certainly a massive leap over what the PS3 and 360 are doing. Also, this architecture in and of itself points to being more accessible to developers than even what the 360 is boasting.

If they end up coupling this with a dedicated GPU, it will be in monster territory. I'm not sure if that's where Sony wants to go. I think launching with a $500 low-end SKU taught them some hard lessons last time around. Pairing a decent APU with some healthy RAM will deliver. The developers can streamline code for that like you wouldn't believe.

Thread Information