Veteran

PSN ID
    Cybertox

Need For Speed Most Wanted 2012 (personal review by Cybertox)

Review of Need For Speed Most Wanted 2012

NFS MW 2012 is an open world racing game developed by Criterion and published by Electronic Arts. Criterion is well know for its successful Burnout series. Criterion developed its first NFS game in 2009/2010 which was Need For Speed Hot Pursuit 2010. NFS HP 2010 was a great success which recived great scores from reviewers and brought the good old NFS back to its roots and revived the NFS genre.

NFS HP 2010 was and still is a great game. The great and awesome combinational variety of exotic cars and free roam as well as a fantastic world made the game extremely awesome. I have played the game for hours and still played it last week before the release of NFS MW 2012 and as i enjoyed playing it before i still do so now. I have also bought all of the released DLCs. Criterion completely conquered my heart by creating such a great game and as soon as i heard that Criterion will release another NFS title named Most Wanted i got extremely excited.

Now lets get back to Most Wanted.
    The first NFS Most Wanted was released in 2005 and offered a very wide customization and badass pursuits as well as a hard to beat most wanted list on which was also based the story. I remember playing that game on my PS2 and having a hard time with it and finding it difficult but that was the thing that entertained and interested me. The difficulty and the wide freedom of customization were the things that made Most Wanted 2005 such a good game for me. Its a shame i wasnt able to complete it as my PS2 drive started scratching discs and i had to quit playing it.

Need For Speed Most Wanted 2012 doesnt have many similarities with MW 2005. They both feel very different and the features they have really differentiate them from each other. MW 2005 was all about cool tuned cars and hard blacklist bosses, MW 2012 is about finding cars and playing events in which you gain speed points and then at a certain amount of speed points you can race a most wanted racer. In MW 2012 you can only tune the performance of the cars and the exterior is not customizable or tuneable at all. Not even talking about not being able to choose the colour of the car which is something absurd and will describe later on.

Now lets concentrate only on NFS Most Wanted 2012.
    MW 2012 offers an open world located in an industrial city with facilities, factories, skyscrapers and electricity stations. The world itself is good detailed but very small and monotonic. After playing for 1.5 hours you will already know the world by heart. Its also very repetetive as all you see is a heavy industrialized city and thats it. You cant find places were just park your car and enjoy the landscape how you could do in HP 2012 nor you can find some interesting to discover places. The events which you have to complete are extremely repetetive. Each event gives you a certain amount of speed points and unlocks an upgrade for the car you used in the race. Every car has 5 events that include Circuits, Sprints, Pursuits and Speeding. After you have completed every event with a certain car, that car will have all upgrades available and in order to unlock the pro edition of those upgrades you will have to complete different tasks. The problem with events is that there is a very small variety of them. There are like 2 Pursuits, 3 Speedings ,5 Circuits , 5 Sprints and thats probably it. Today I have completed the event Bloody Nose like 9 times already and that with different cars, that is just poor. Now lets talk about cars. MW 2012 has a very strange variety of cars. It has SUVs, Exotics, Classics, Sports and Lightweight Racing ones however they are not divided into classes. Sometimes you find yourself racing with a Pagani while using a BMW M3, this is just unrealistic and stupid. But the worst thing is that you win in such races. Now lets talk about the police which is an important factor in both MW 2005 and 2012. In MW 2012 the police is aggressive and not too stupid. Some police cars can take you down or brake your tires by launching out trap spikes in front of you. The police has a decent variety of cars which is something good. Now remember the thing with the BMW M3 race? Now check this out bro. You find yourself speeding 300 km/h in your sexy pagani huayra, suddenly a ford crown victoria drives in front of you, then goes to the side and afterwards take the hell out of you down. Cool right? No its not cool, not at all. Sometimes you are in cooldown and getting ahead of cops which are on your tail, you keep driving very fast and try very hard to find a place to hide in, suddenly a patrolling police car spawns in front of you and takes you down. You have to starts everything from the beginning as your gold time expired. In some races the traffic spawn horribly by giving you no chance to win the race. There is a circuit event in which you have to drive at high speed through a crossroad, during that situation you have to hope that the computer wont spawn a truck which will drive from left to right the moment you speed through the crossroad. If the computer will do so in the secound lap, retry event is your only option. Finding jackpots and cars you like is a very cool idea, however Criterion was able to ruin it. The jackpots are extremely easy to find and the world is just too small to distribute the cars into good and hard to find places. This makes finding cars boring and uninteresting.It would be much better if you had a garage in which you could bring all the cars that you have found and then use them anytime and not needing to jump to another location. The thing with the repair station which fully repair your car and change its colour is something that should only be in a Burnout game because it fits awfully in a NFS game.

The design aspects of the game.
    The Graphics in MW 2012 are fantastic. The reflections, textures, models and shadows as well as shaders look breathtaking. The models of some cars look extremely sexy and very realistic. Also the destruction effects and the lighting is great. This is probably the most graphically advanced NFS ever made. The only downside is that some colours on cars like aventador look awful and not same as they look in real life or in artworks. For example the Arancio Argos of the Aventador looks very different and ugly. The colours of the cars are the only downside as the graphics are fantastic. The interface however is freaking retarded. First of all why do i have to change my language everytime i start up the game? Cant it just remember it? Is it so hard to make a game which remembers the language you chose in the beginning? The cut-scenes are boring long and useless. They just take additional time to load and dont impress me that much, excluding the ones of the most wanted cars. The overall ingame menu is a nice feature but it was designed poorly. After loosing a race i have to wait for 15 secounds till the ingame menu loads up and then press restart event. But the thing that i dont understand is why No is displayed first and Yes below?
    It goes like this:/ Restart Race / No
    -----------------------------/ Yes

If i press the button restart race its logic that i want to do so and Yes must be the first one selected.

The sound and music.
    The sound of the cars is good and the sound of cars in the tunnels is amazing. The sound of other things like crashes or scratches is also more than decent. However even though the sounds in the game are good the music is awful. The whole soundtrack is something horrible. The only good song which i really enjoy listening to during races is Galvanize By Chemical Brothers, the other songs are crap. All i can hear during races is a guy screaming with his horrible voice that he is electric.

Technical aspects.
    Technically the game is very bad. Major frame rate drops in crashes and very long loading periods. Criterion must have taken the optimization of the game much more seriously especially in the consoles version. The frame rate drops from like 30 fps to 8 when you hit a road block or a car. The loading progresses very slowly and takes very long.

Criterion added to MW 2012 Burnout features which doesnt fit in a NFS game at all. Also the poorly and stupidly designed interface is something Criterion likes to do. Mainly Criterion really disappointed in the technical aspects of the game s it never did so in its previous games.

I have played for 6 hour and have already beaten 9 most wanted racers and unlock as well as found most cars available in the game. There is also not much to explore in the world and unlocking pro upgrades is the only thing left to do.

Multiplayer is something i havent dedicated much time but it took me one hour to establish connection with autolog and register my online pass and limited edition bonus. If you play with regular people there is a chaos going on, everybody is crashing into you and nearly nobody is doing events. Playing with friends could be more entertaining but i havent tried doing so. There is no split screen.

The game is very good in some aspects and horrible in others. Need For Speed Most Wanted 2012 is a decent game but is very different compared to its 2005 predecessor.

6.5/10

Review by Cybertox
    Last edited by Cybertox; 11-03-2012 at 18:05.

2. Likes Admartian , GTR1986, TheBreezyBB likes this post
    Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Items NintendoFirefox LogoPSN LogoWii BlackPaper MarioWiiUGran Turismo 53DSPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Nice insight and review bro! It was helpful!

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

4. Likes Cybertox likes this post
    Veteran

PSN ID
    Cybertox
    Thanks. It didnt come out perfectly as i intended but i think its pretty much decent.

Elite Guru
    Items Naughty DogMetal Gear SolidPlayStation
    I have to agree with you on this. Everything you said describes exactly how I feel towards this game, and we have both played for a similar length of time.

I'd rate the game a 7/10 though.

Master Poster
    PSN ID
    BreBaz
    Items One PieceOne PieceAuronPS3 FatVitaNaughty DogFinal Fantasy XPlayStation
    I've played the game for over 20 hours and i don't feel like going back! I haven't played a game for over 6-7 months and this was way too easy to finish!!

There's also the disconnection of autolog every minute!! how can i challenge friends if it keeps disconnecting like that?

Very nice review sums everything up pretty good

I would rate the game around 6/10 and if i compare it to the first MW game i would give it 2/10.

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    AshSteHol
    Items User name style
    I agree with most things in this review, except the frame rate issues. I have not experienced any frame rate drops at all.

I am disappointed with this game though. I have only won like 4 races and yet I am MW #9. I haven't even challenged a MW driver yet! It is far too much like Burnout Paradise. Think I'll be taking it back in the morning.

I'd give it 5/10 overall.

Is it worth buying Hot Pursuit? Is that game any good?
    KING OF POP
    1958 - 2009

Veteran

PSN ID
    Cybertox
    Quote Originally Posted by ash91 View Post
    I agree with most things in this review, except the frame rate issues. I have not experienced any frame rate drops at all.

I am disappointed with this game though. I have only won like 4 races and yet I am MW #9. I haven't even challenged a MW driver yet! It is far too much like Burnout Paradise. Think I'll be taking it back in the morning.

I'd give it 5/10 overall.

Is it worth buying Hot Pursuit? Is that game any good?
    Its very strange that you dont have frame rate issues. On which console do you play? And yes NFS HP 2010 is definitely worth getting. If you just like driving sexy exotic cars in a wonderful free roam world, you should get it. The missions are also cool and you can play as both racers and cops.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Items NintendoFirefox LogoPSN LogoWii BlackPaper MarioWiiUGran Turismo 53DSPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I got to play the previous one I'm sure I can find a sweet deal on it locally or used!

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

How does using your multiplayer code affect the resale value of the game? I'm assuming new buyers cannot use the same multiplayer code?

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Marcgear
    Items PlayStation
    Quote Originally Posted by netjack View Post
    How does using your multiplayer code affect the resale value of the game? I'm assuming new buyers cannot use the same multiplayer code?
    Correct code needs to be repurchased normally costs about 8. Cheers for the Review i was off out to get this later may just hold off for a bit till price drops. Too many games coming out at the mo. Must choose wisely.
    New member of the PS4 club

Master Poster
    Items VitaLiverpool360 SlimPS3 FatGoogle Chrome
    I have always, always hated the cheap tactics of super fast police cars that re-spawn near you, so stupid and makes me literally wanna slap the devs, to me its just the devs being lazy.

The more i look at MW, the more it looks like just burnout Paradise with a few changes. It has more similarities with that than MW2005 or any other NFS game. The devs are good ,but i hope they let someone else make the next NFS game, it does not feel right to me.

Dedicated Member
    Nice review. I think I may rent this at some point or borrow it from a friend. The series has struggled to match the awesomeness that was Hot Pursuit 2!

Credit to THUGGEDOUT for the Sig

15. Likes Cybertox likes this post

Thread Information