Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Soldier 95B

Thumbs up Face-Off: Need for Speed: Most Wanted

The conclusion:

In summary, Criterion's latest racer takes the advanced lighting of its predecessor, improves upon it still further and once again builds up a varied sandbox world around the premise of the original Need for Speed: Most Wanted. As an ongoing game of cat and mouse, the need to embed as much detail into Fairhaven as possible could so easily have been at odds with the blazing speeds at which you zip across the terrain. Fortunately, the world streams in smoothly on both consoles for this final build, with the only real blemish being the pop-in for reflected elements.

"The PC release has the greatest flexibility to solve the quirks of the console versions and it does so while adding options for higher resolution textures, smoother shadows, and more complex geometry into the mix."
    Naturally, the PC release has the greatest flexibility to solve this quirk and it does so while adding options for higher resolution textures, smoother shadows, and more complex geometry into the mix. As for the contention between 360 and PS3, we see image quality is practically identical even under close scrutiny, save for the curious paring back of particle effects on Sony's console when colliding with barriers. Otherwise, the biggest differences in direct screen comparisons come about purely as a result of the game's rapid day-night cycle - something we couldn't compensate for in our comparison assets.

In terms of that crucial playability factor, the PS3 wins out by a close margin in our performance tests, though neither is a particular let-down in delivering on the v-synced 30FPS target. Perhaps a larger issue would be the length of the loading screens on each platform, where the 360 can ready the game's levels twice as quickly as the rival console when installed to the HDD. This may come as the most salient point for the competitive players, who will be determined to retry a level several times to beat a high score.

But much like DICE's Battlefield 3, it's the PC version of Most Wanted that ultimately serves as the reference point for technical design - even though powerful kit is required to show this game running at its absolute best. The console versions run at graphical settings equivalent to the PC's lowest in most regards, most noticeably with the pixellated alpha effects that crop up. The PS3 and 360 offerings are eminently playable, but more than ever, the challenges Criterion faced in fulfilling the game's visual potential shows a need for fresh, new console hardware.
    Now that is a tight one. Probably can't go wrong with either one. But the PS3 wins the playability performance factor.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/di...anted-face-off

2. Likes Lethal wishes they had posted this first.
    Veteran

PSN ID
    Cybertox
    NFS MW 2012 experiences a lot of significant frame rate drops on my PS3. Dont know why the article states that the frame rate is steady. Its v-synced but not steady.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybertox View Post
    NFS MW 2012 experiences a lot of significant frame rate drops on my PS3. Dont know why the article states that the frame rate is steady. Its v-synced but not steady.
    Yeah I've been noticing lately that these comparisons will mention stuff that I didnt find to be true in my playthrough of certain games. But anyway sounds like both versions are pretty much equal.

Soldier 95B
    I wonder if different Xbox consoles and PS3 consoles (older vs. newer) genuinely have different performance? As in, if the game was tested by Eurogamer on a 12gb PS3 Super Slim vs. a gamer who is rolling with a 60gb PS3 fatty. Do you think there will be performance differences?

Veteran

PSN ID
    Cybertox
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier 95B View Post
    I wonder if different Xbox consoles and PS3 consoles (older vs. newer) genuinely have different performance? As in, if the game was tested by Eurogamer on a 12gb PS3 Super Slim vs. a gamer who is rolling with a 60gb PS3 fatty. Do you think there will be performance differences?
    I have thought about that recently. It would be very interesting to know. Even though they have the same more or less specs but the video cards are still different models.

Nosce te ipsum
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybertox View Post
    Read the comparison article at the link. It has some performance vids that show the frame rate... I have played it on the 360, PS3, and Vita, and rarely see any frame rate issues on any of them.

Veteran

PSN ID
    Cybertox
    Overall i think that games must be so optimized that in every situation they frame rate stays steady at 30 fps or 60.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Thats possible.

Nosce te ipsum
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Possible.. sure.. anything is possible. Probable? No.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Possible.. sure.. anything is possible. Probable? No.
    Nobody here said it was probable.

Nosce te ipsum
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    I didn't comment about anyone else saying it. I said it isn't probable. Point blank.

Soldier 95B
    So you are saying that a 60gb PS3 phat more than likely performs EXACTLY the same as a 12gb PS3 super slim?

Nosce te ipsum
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    So you are saying that a 60gb PS3 phat more than likely performs EXACTLY the same as a 12gb PS3 super slim?
    The only difference would be a game you have the installation done on both machines would have a few seconds better load time on the 12GB SS. Game play performance, yes. They will be exactly the same.

Soldier 95B
    Interesting. Thanks!

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    I didn't comment about anyone else saying it. I said it isn't probable. Point blank.
    Your opinion is noted.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    I doubt they perform exactly the same. The parts on the SS are new technology, stays cooler and can withstand a greater load compared to the phat.

18. Likes mistercrow wishes they had posted this first.
    PSU Community Manager
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    So a horse walks into a bar and takes a seat. The bartender looks at him and asks, "hey buddy, why the long face?".
    Click HERE to create your mercenary and get exclusive in-game items.

THE GREY CARDINAL (eWar Merc) - COVERT SUBTERFUGE (Minmatar Scout)
    CEO of PSU GHOST SYNDICATE - PSU in-game channel: PSU GHOST

Nosce te ipsum
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Quote Originally Posted by Lethal_NFS View Post
    I doubt they perform exactly the same. The parts on the SS are new technology, stays cooler and can withstand a greater load compared to the phat.
    The performance isn't going to be different based on the cooling, smaller manu'd parts, when talking about games performance. The system performance is a different ball game. We aren't talking about that. My 40GB phatty runs games the exact same way the 120GB Slim does... newer parts, better cooling, same game performance. The only difference in the new "super slim" will be some load times in certain games, not even necessarily all games.

Master Guru
    I wouldn't doubt it. It seems like i have a super PS3 or something because i never experience the problems others do with multiplat games.

Anyway, glad i picked up the PS3 version of Need for Speed: Most Wanted since it's the best one.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by TDbank24 View Post
    I wouldn't doubt it. It seems like i have a super PS3 or something because i never experience the problems others do with multiplat games.

Anyway, glad i picked up the PS3 version of Need for Speed: Most Wanted since it's the best one.

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    AshSteHol
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by TDbank24 View Post

Same. I haven't experienced any framerate drops on the PS3 and I never do with these games that supposedly do.
    KING OF POP
    1958 - 2009

Super Carlton
    PSN ID
    JMEWalterblack
    Items PS3 Slim360 SlimiPhone 4 BlackGears of WarGoogle ChromeManchester UnitedUser name style
    Regardless, the game is near identical on both consoles and is a great game to boot. loving it! (360 version)

Thanks to Final for the sick sig!

Nosce te ipsum
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    The only reason someone hasn't seen the frame rate drops is because they either haven't played the game at all, or haven't gotten to the parts where the frame rate drops. It's either of those two options.

26. Likes mistercrow, Cybertox wishes they had posted this first.
    Soldier 95B
    I miss three as a mod

28. Likes mistercrow wishes they had posted this first.
    Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by radgamer420 View Post
    Yeah I've been noticing lately that these comparisons will mention stuff that I didnt find to be true in my playthrough of certain games. But anyway sounds like both versions are pretty much equal.
    Pretty much equal as in most comparsions of any multiplat. But when the ps3 gets the upper hand, it is stuff that is not "true" and "placebo"...

Anyway, I canīt wait to try this game out !

Thread Information