Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Drug users kicked off welfare.

http://www.kten.com/story/19980885/n...rs-off-welfare

DURANT, OK -- Welfare recipients in Oklahoma have a new set of guidelines. Under a new law that takes effect today, anyone caught using drugs will be kicked out of the program. The original bill was passed by lawmakers and signed into law by Governor Mary Fallin back in May, and the Department of Human Services is working to implement it.
    Many people we talked to in Bryan County say the law is a good idea. Durant resident Sabrina Hudson says she works as a maid, but raising a baby daughter by herself, she still finds it hard to make ends meet.
    "I only make $500 a month so that's why I'm getting Food Stamps, because I don't have money to pay my rent and get food," Hudson says.
    On Thursday, Hudson went to apply for welfare benefits, called Temporary Assistance to Needy Families to help her get by. The new law would drop anyone on that program who is found to be using drugs.
    "The difference now is that if an adult is screened to be positive for illegal drug use and substance abuse, then that adult would not be eligible for TANF benefits for six months," says Department of Human Services Bryan County interim director Lori Gray.
    According to DHS, applicants for TANF benefits have already been taking drug tests, but up until now, they have not been able to deny benefits solely based on one positive drug test, instead referring people for counseling first.
    "I know that when I applied in Pontotoc County, I had to take a written drug assessment," says Bokchito resident Mary Peterson.
    Anyone found to be on drugs will still be referred for drug counseling with the state Department of Mental Health and Substance Abuse and can reapply after six months.
    "We want to help them to overcome those issues so they can lead more independent and productive lives without us," says Gray.
    Many recipients say they support the change, because they believe that some people just do not deserve the help. "They abuse the privilege, not for the kids but for whatever they want, so I think it's a good idea," says Achille resident Stephanie Denzer.
    "Instead of trying to do something for themselves, they just want help through the government without trying," says Colbert resident Corey White.
    Hudson says she is lucky to have her mother helping take care of her baby. As for the law, she supports the idea that those on drugs will not get benefits. "That way, they can't spend the money on drugs," Hudson says.
    In Bryan County, there are a couple hundred households on this program and about 20,000 statewide, according to DHS.

I like it to a degree. The side affect is going to be the kids and elderly that don't receive help from parents and children respectively due to the drug habit. I hope the "social services" are able to get some kind of investigations or monitoring of families that have dependents that possibly won't receive any food, clothes, etc., due to a constant spending of money on drugs instead of the livelihood of their kids, or elderly parents, etc.

2. Likes claud3 likes this post
    The Heisman
    i support it- but I wonder what the cost associated with continuous testing is... #deficits

By Theft
    I am stunned that some people appear to love their Playstation(1,2,3) or Xbox(360) more than I love the Denver Broncos.
    Trust me, it's sad

Veteran

PSN ID
    Cybertox
    That may refer to a big amount of students who use Ritalin.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    They could just go and get help
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Quote Originally Posted by DayWalker View Post
    i support it- but I wonder what the cost associated with continuous testing is... #deficits
    I think that if someone is found to be positive on the screen, then it saves them money. They already give the tests, which are costing money, without any benefit. This way, the costs are still there, but users will be removed, and money saved that way.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Items NintendoFirefox LogoPSN LogoWii BlackPaper MarioWiiUGran Turismo 53DSPS3 Slim
    My only concern would be the children that would be under the parents.

Hope social services has a hand in this.

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Well it costs money to stop money. I mean

You need other ways to help them and that will cost money, checking for drugs so they do not get the money. Costs money
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    I have always thought there should be random drug tests for welfare.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Quote Originally Posted by claud3 View Post
    Well it costs money to stop money. I mean

You need other ways to help them and that will cost money, checking for drugs so they do not get the money. Costs money
    It costs less money for a single drug test than it does to support an addict for a two year span. I know a lady that cost the State $57 for a dug analysis, while she received just under $9500 in foodstamps per year. That doesn't even count in the medicaid costs that she had. I think it'll save more money than it will cost.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Ok fair enough, just thinking it would though

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Items NintendoFirefox LogoPSN LogoWii BlackPaper MarioWiiUGran Turismo 53DSPS3 Slim
    Drug testing people that are receiving free food is the right thing to do if u don't want to be tested get a job and do all the drugs u want after u pass the initial hire drug test and hope they don't do random test smh!

Any tax payer that doesn't support this is a moron

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Items Olivia WildeArnold SchwarzneggerPearl JamSylvester StalloneScarlett JohanssonAC/DCAppleLegend of ZeldaBruce WillisNintendo 64Gran Turismo 5PlayStation
    I support this fully. I wish Canada, or more specifically, the province of Ontario did this.

Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    ​Gosh $500 a month? Thats insane. I get more in a week.

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Do what the Romans did, throw them into the arena with lion's. It seem to work on Christianity

16. Likes Lebowski , F34R likes this post
    Unbound Mercenary
    Quote Originally Posted by Lethal_NFS View Post
    Always thought this.

But its good to see that steps are being made in the right direction towards people not abusing the welfare system.
    Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    If you get any kind of assistance from government your ass should be tested 7 times a year randomly.

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DeviousOne View Post
    If you get any kind of assistance from government your ass should be tested 7 times a year randomly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lethal_NFS View Post

Sources:

http://www.aclu.org/blog/criminal-la...esting-welfare

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/18/us...ests.html?_r=0

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    When they KNOW they will be tested, they stop using. Win win in that respect. I don't see where the figures for the 178 million is coming from. The florida tests were only about 60,000 in losses. Only >4,100 people tested out of the millions on assistance.. puhlease. If I have to take a $#@!ing drug test to support welfare with my job earnings, then these people should be getting tested to get free $#@!. Enough said.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    When they KNOW they will be tested, they stop using. Win win in that respect. I don't see where the figures for the 178 million is coming from. The florida tests were only about 60,000 in losses. Only >4,100 people tested out of the millions on assistance.. puhlease. If I have to take a $#@!ing drug test to support welfare with my job earnings, then these people should be getting tested to get free $#@!. Enough said.
    Agreed and it creates jobs at those drug testing companies keeping people working

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    berts08
    Items User name styleManchester United
Gift received at 11-19-2011 from Cuguy
Message: couldn't find a reason the shop would deny you the purchase, so here ya go
    I wish we had something like this over here. I know quite a few people who are on the dole, they just spend that money on drugs. It would need to be a blood sample and not a piss sample, as I have known someone who got a friend to pee for him into a tube so it wouldn't show he was on drugs. That was for social services.

“Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.” Arthur C. Clarke

PSN ID: berts08

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    accept it for what it is. And move on to the fear that disability people might be next and other people with either no ability to walk or are really sick

Elite Member

Items PlayStationSteam
    Good, I support this. Now they just need to find a way to make the testing random and cheap.

My wife's mother worked 4 days in her life, literally. Got a welfare check because of having two girls, and invariably the money got blown on dope and gambling...not a roof, clothes, and food for the three of them.

I know there are people who genuinely need these programs, but we need to start weeding out the abusers.

accept it for what it is. And move on to the fear that disability people might be next and other people with either no ability to walk or are really sick
    I'd say being disabled or terminally ill are very different from being unemployed/between jobs and needing a helping hand.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Not here in the UK mate. They plan to take most of it soon

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Not here in the UK mate. They plan to take most of it soon
    Take government assistance away??

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    I wouldn't necessarily be against taking gov't assistance away. Get a job, an education, do something other than make others pay for your life.

28. Likes claud3 likes this post

Thread Information