Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Items NintendoFirefox LogoPSN LogoWii BlackPaper MarioWiiUGran Turismo 53DSPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Samsung Galaxy S3 tops iPhone 5 to remain UK's most popular handset

Samsung Galaxy S3
    Samsung Galaxy S3

The Samsung Galaxy S3 has retained its crown as the UK’s most popular smartphone for the sixth consecutive month, seeing off stiff competition from Apple’s recently released iPhone 5.

Despite the iPhone 5 shifting a staggering 5 million units during its opening three days on sale and with Apple increasing its share of the smartphone market, narrowing the gap on Google’s Android OS during the past 12 months, figures compiled by the latest uSwitch Mobile Tracker have revealed that the Samsung Galaxy S3 once again proved more popular than the iPhnoe 5 for the past month.

Having seen off the newly released iPhone 5 to retain its place as the UK’s most popular smartphone for September, the Samsung Galaxy S3 has once again toppled the presumed unbeatable iPhone 5 for October, the latest Apple handset’s first full month on sale.

“The iPhone 5 has certainly grabbed the attention of consumers and has flown up the Tracker to secure the second place spot for October,” uSwitch telecoms expert Ernest Doku said on the latest figures. He added: “Competitive pay monthly price points and the strong feature set of the Galaxy S3 has kept Samsung’s flagship handset one step ahead.”

Adding to the ongoing and bitter Apple vs Samsung rivalry, the latest figures, which are based on live searches, pre-orders and pay monthly sales, have revealed that despite its ageing nature, the Samsung Galaxy S2 was the UK’s third most popular handset for October, sandwiching the iPhone 5 between two generations of its closest rival.

Regaining some ground for Apple, the iPhone 4S remained popular with the British public despite its replacements’ arrival, lining up fourth in the uSwitch chart, ahead of the Sony Xperia U in fifth. With just two new entries fighting their way into the top 10 during October, the oversized Samsung Galaxy Note 2 entered the fray in sixth whilst the Sony Xperia T capitalised on its billing as James Bond’s smartphone of choice to join the mix in eighth position.

Helping Samsung dominate the top 10 chart with four individual entries, the Samsung Galaxy Ace lined up in seventh whilst the HTC One X and Nokia Lumia 610 rounded out the top 10 in spots nine and ten respectively.

With today’s UK release of the first Windows Phone 8 packing handsets such as the HTC 8X, Doku has suggested that Microsoft’s revamped operating system could shake up the smartphone charts heading into November and then the lucrative Christmas period.

“The real excitement ahead of Xmas is the launch of Windows Phone 8 and new offerings from Samsung, HTC and Nokia, all aiming to make an impact off the back of a huge Microsoft marketing campaign,” Doku said. “What is in no question is that the pieces are coming into place for what will be an incredibly exciting winter for smartphone fans.”
    Source: http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/s...et-for-october

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Veteran
    Items Manchester United
    If steve jobs were still alive....

Bucket Biff

Veteran
    Items Firefox LogoPS3 SlimUser name style
    I actually haven't seen anyone with an I Phone 5 yet. Yet I have seen lots of GS3's. So it makes sense.

Think people are starting to realise Apple don't really upgrade their phones by very much. Maybe Apple will pull their finger out with the I Phone 6. *Cue the I Phone 5s which has an ever so slightly faster processor*.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    I don't see what they needed to do with the iPhone 5, past what they did do... it's definitely a great phone. Of course the Android phone is going to sell more due to the price cuts mainly. Apple doesn't need to be 1st place in how many sales. They are first place for the profit they make. They are a company. Samsung wishes they could stop selling the phones at such a low profit margin, if there is even one, and stop relying on software sales.

So the iPhone 5 doesn't have the same specs as the S3, yet, it goes right on by it benchmark wise. Once they S3 drops for the next S phone, software support from carriers will be bland, and hardware support from S'sung will cease as well. There's more to the ballgame than touting your company sold more phones than the other company. Samsung sells more models of phones, yet can't even come to the profit margin, stock earnings, etc.

I love apple iPhone but i haven't see iPhone 5 in real...I see only in net pics and in newspaper.....From my point of view I think Samsung S3 also a superb featured mobile because i am using S3

iPhone 5 has more features as compare to Samsung S3.....I actually just see comparison between two on internet.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Quote Originally Posted by ryder89 View Post
    I love apple iPhone but i haven't see iPhone 5 in real...I see only in net pics and in newspaper.....From my point of view I think Samsung S3 also a superb featured mobile because i am using S3
    I returned my S3, twice... I mostly liked it. The decision was made though. Carriers dictate when software updates will be released, if ever. That and the abysmal battery life for my usage isn't cutting it.

Forum Sage

I'm very happy with my iPhone 5. I've used nothing but iPhones since the first handset was released and i've never looked back. The downside of that is that each time i get a new phone it never really feels new. It would be nice if they could switch up iOS and make it a bit different but in all honesty it does exactly what I need it to. If it aint broke...

One of my friends has the SGS3 and while i really do like it, it just seems a bit too big to me. I do like that it has a removable battery and you can use SD cards as well as the camera on it being amazing but there is nothing on it that would make me jump ship from iOS to Android any time soon, not on the phone front at least anyway.

I do think that spending money within the App store as helped cemented my decision into staying with Apple though.

Either way, if your in the market for a smartphone, now is the best time to be looking for one with the HTC One X, The Samsung Galaxy S3, The iPhone 5 and the soon to be released Nokia L800 (i think it's called that) this is a brilliant time to be a consumer

ストライク・ザ・ブラッド
    PSN ID
    xAkiRo
    Items YunaLuluBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-11-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XIII-2AtlusFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy V
    My uncle has an S3 that $#@! looks dope. I want one. All the cool ass things it can do.

PSN: xThAkIdJxYx Cod Psn:xxAkiRo
    ‎"It's not important to have a long life, the important thing is to have a happy life with your beloved ones"

10. Likes Nitey likes this post
    Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Items NintendoFirefox LogoPSN LogoWii BlackPaper MarioWiiUGran Turismo 53DSPS3 Slim
    I like the S3 but I don't like using a touchscreen to text. That's why I love my blackberry full keyboard and touch screen

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    THUGGEDOUT1
    Items LBP ColeLBP SephirothLBP KratosLBP HelgastLBP EzioLBP Cloud
    Okay, but no one gives a $#@! about the UK, lol!

But seriously, I have a friend with an S3 and it does look nice, think I'll stick with getting an iPhone 5 though.

"When I was 12, I milked my eel into a pot of turtle stew. I flogged the one-eyed snake, I skinned my sausage. I made the bald man cry into the turtle stew, which I believe my sister ate. At least I hope she did."

Master Guru
    Items Title StyleNew User TitleBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-13-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIUser name style
    To what I know, the iPhone 5 isn't any different then the iPhone 4S, hence why many haven't been seeing people with the latest model from Apple.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    I think a lot to do with that the iPhone 5 wasn't really that much of an upgrade.

Regarding waiting for phone updates, it's 99% safe (close to a hundred - but nothing is 100% ) to upgrade your Samsung (can't really speak on the other OEM's as a whole) phone to the latest Android OS. This has a lot to do with their bootlaoders already being unlocked courtesy of Samsung.

Plus rooting/unrooting or flashing an original image (to get it back to stock for warranty issues) is piss easy too.

But yes, waiting for carrier upgrades are bloody frustrating. People really should just get Nexus phones.

#IndieStation4 and proud of it.

Elite Guru
    I'm dropping Apple at my next contract renewal. Will be getting the S3, unless their new model is out by then.

No reason to upgrade to the 5, little change from the 4S I have now and I really dislike the sue heavy company they've become. I'm voting with my wallet.

Obligatory Tapatalk Signature

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Quote Originally Posted by FonFahbre View Post
    To what I know, the iPhone 5 isn't any different then the iPhone 4S, hence why many haven't been seeing people with the latest model from Apple.
    It's as much different from the 4s as the S3 is from the S2.
    Quote Originally Posted by admartian View Post
    I think a lot to do with that the iPhone 5 wasn't really that much of an upgrade.

Regarding waiting for phone updates, it's 99% safe (close to a hundred - but nothing is 100% ) to upgrade your Samsung (can't really speak on the other OEM's as a whole) phone to the latest Android OS. This has a lot to do with their bootlaoders already being unlocked courtesy of Samsung.

Plus rooting/unrooting or flashing an original image (to get it back to stock for warranty issues) is piss easy too.

But yes, waiting for carrier upgrades are bloody frustrating. People really should just get Nexus phones.
    Quote Originally Posted by *goo View Post
    I'm dropping Apple at my next contract renewal. Will be getting the S3, unless their new model is out by then.

No reason to upgrade to the 5, little change from the 4S I have now and I really dislike the sue heavy company they've become. I'm voting with my wallet.
    Obligatory Tapatalk Signature
    bootloaders unlocked is carrier specific though. S3, verizon, not unlocked. It had to be hacked by someone in order to get it done. Upgrading is about the same as any electronic device when it comes to flashing firmware, etc. Normally it's just fine. However, getting an actual update is a wait for life at times it seems.. you can always wait for someone to be able to release some "homebrew" ROMS under the latest OS that will play nice with your phone. That again, takes time. Then you have the actual support from the manufacturer, and carrier, once the next iteration is released.

By all means, if the S3 does what you want, then get it. The same with the iPhone. If it's not up to par for you, then don't.

I'd love to hear the negatives about each one though. What has turned you away from wanting to use that new release...

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    It's as much different from the 4s as the S3 is from the S2.

bootloaders unlocked is carrier specific though. S3, verizon, not unlocked. It had to be hacked by someone in order to get it done. Upgrading is about the same as any electronic device when it comes to flashing firmware, etc. Normally it's just fine. However, getting an actual update is a wait for life at times it seems.. you can always wait for someone to be able to release some "homebrew" ROMS under the latest OS that will play nice with your phone. That again, takes time. Then you have the actual support from the manufacturer, and carrier, once the next iteration is released.

By all means, if the S3 does what you want, then get it. The same with the iPhone. If it's not up to par for you, then don't.

I'd love to hear the negatives about each one though. What has turned you away from wanting to use that new release...
    Sorry mate, was referring to International S3/Samsung versions of phones. But yes, I am aware that it is carrier specific in the States and forgot about that.

Oh of course - pick what you choose, heck even pick what you choose within iPhones/Androids/Windows phones - whether you update or not. I was at the Radiohead concert last night, and saw a bunch of Android and Iphones each with differing versions of their OS - though I dunno how many of those people either have made that choice consciously, or simply do not know how to.

Though I still maintain that Samsung devices are amongst, if not the easiest to install custom OS/firmware. As in, you must really want to brick your device in order to do so. Probably add Sony next on that list. Asus, HTC, not so much.

On that note, I saw a Blackberry at the concert in what seems to be months/years.

#IndieStation4 and proud of it.

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Is this the phone wars?

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Quote Originally Posted by admartian View Post
    Sorry mate, was referring to International S3/Samsung versions of phones. But yes, I am aware that it is carrier specific in the States and forgot about that.

Oh of course - pick what you choose, heck even pick what you choose within iPhones/Androids/Windows phones - whether you update or not. I was at the Radiohead concert last night, and saw a bunch of Android and Iphones each with differing versions of their OS - though I dunno how many of those people either have made that choice consciously, or simply do not know how to.

Though I still maintain that Samsung devices are amongst, if not the easiest to install custom OS/firmware. As in, you must really want to brick your device in order to do so. Probably add Sony next on that list. Asus, HTC, not so much.

On that note, I saw a Blackberry at the concert in what seems to be months/years.
    Two things about that.. one - model of phone? two - most people don't even know about updating their OS via custom.

Anyways though... It isn't hard to see that the lower price for the galaxy s3 sells it a lot. iPhone... well, you have to be a fan of the brand mostly. Otherwise, the $199 price isn't as good as a phone that you see in the store, and it's bigger, and at most times, cheaper.

Veteran
    Items Manchester United
    Android devices are generally easier to flash...especially with mobile odin. Hell, hackin and customizing = piss easy. I've hacked the $#@! outta mine.

Bucket Biff

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Quote Originally Posted by jj03 View Post
    Android devices are generally easier to flash...especially with mobile odin. Hell, hackin and customizing = piss easy. I've hacked the $#@! outta mine.

Bucket Biff
    I agree with that once the leg work has been done by the devs.

Power Member
    Course it does. It's hands down the best phone on the market.

23. Likes Admartian likes this post
    Master Guru
    PSN ID
    MjW-
    Items VitaiPhone BlackGran Turismo 5PS3 FatTommy Vercetti3DS
    Quote Originally Posted by Kopkiwi View Post
    Course it does. It's hands down the best phone on the market.
    Let me guess. You own an S3 or you are about to buy one.
    ~Corporate Media Propaganda - Welcome to your Daily Matrix~

Super Carlton
    PSN ID
    JMEWalterblack
    Items PS3 Slim360 SlimiPhone 4 BlackGears of WarGoogle ChromeManchester UnitedUser name style
    Well it is a better a phone and you cant get a 16gb iphone 5 for love nor money.........so there you go.

Thanks to Final for the sick sig!

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    How is it better in your usage? The only thing I really liked was the size for games and the customization ability. Other than that, nothing about it was "better" for me.
    Last edited by F34R; 11-07-2012 at 13:19.

Super Carlton
    PSN ID
    JMEWalterblack
    Items PS3 Slim360 SlimiPhone 4 BlackGears of WarGoogle ChromeManchester UnitedUser name style
    You talking to me bro? i wasnt posting at you, just posting about the OP! if so, hang on, while i find that marketing ad that samsung did! if i could own both phones i would, i have a HTC ONE X atm

Thanks to Final for the sick sig!

Thread Information