Soldier 95B

PS3 Fan Running Question

I have a 40gb PS3 model that I had bought new back in the day. It was fixed one time for the YLOD, but never had any fan issues.

However, now, when I play games (recently Medal of Honor: Warfighter) and movies (I only play Blu-ray movies), the fan is ALWAYS cranking really high the entire time. Luckily, my PS3 is in my media room outside of the home theater area, so I can't hear it will playing or watching the movies. But anytime I go into the media room, you can hear it cranking away.

What are your thoughts here? Do you think my PS3 just needs to be opened up and dusted?

Any help from my fellow forum veterans would be much appreciated, and forum rep WILL be spread!

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    My guess is its going to YLOD again. If you did it yourself its usually only a temp fix.

Master Guru
    Items Title StyleNew User TitleBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-13-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIUser name style
    The Phat models tend to experience the jet engine fan noise after a few years of service. I've opened and dusted my Phat model PS3 many times and yet the noise is still there.

I've gotten used to it and plus it will serve as a heater in the upcoming colder times. Lol.

Soldier 95B
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    My guess is its going to YLOD again. If you did it yourself its usually only a temp fix.
    I was afraid of that. I didn't do it myself though, I paid Sony the $150 for the repair.

Quote Originally Posted by FonFahbre View Post
    The Phat models tend to experience the jet engine fan noise after a few years of service. I've opened and dusted my Phat model PS3 many times and yet the noise is still there.

I've gotten used to it and plus it will serve as a heater in the upcoming colder times. Lol.
    It sounds like I might be SOL then. I will try to clean any dust from the inside to start. I have never opened it, so that will be new to me. But the media room is so clean, and I can't imagine too much dust in it. But I guess I will find out.

I just want the fan to freakin stop...it freaks me out. IF my PS3 does YLOD, I might be inclined to just wait for the PS4 instead of getting a new PS3. But I hope I can resolve this.

Master Guru
    Items Title StyleNew User TitleBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-13-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier 95B View Post
    I was afraid of that. I didn't do it myself though, I paid Sony the $150 for the repair.

It sounds like I might be SOL then. I will try to clean any dust from the inside to start. I have never opened it, so that will be new to me. But the media room is so clean, and I can't imagine too much dust in it. But I guess I will find out.

I just want the fan to freakin stop...it freaks me out. IF my PS3 does YLOD, I might be inclined to just wait for the PS4 instead of getting a new PS3. But I hope I can resolve this.
    I fixed my console twice and it's been working fine for more then a year although recently I've experienced some online issues with some games while my brothers are perfectly fine with their own PS3's. It's not the location of my room either since my Xbox 360 works fine with the same games.

Your console, like Keefy said, could develop another YLOD since the cause for one is a heating issue(Even though mine generates enough heat to warm the house, I haven't gotten another YLOD yet). If you do pull it apart, try to remember where each bolt goes where and apply good quality Termal paste while you're at it - you'll know where when you find the two chips with older paste in them.

I also don't feel like getting another PS3 anytime soon until the PS4 arrives.

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Well if Sony fixed it then they probbaly did it properly not just heating up the solder like I did AKA the "reflow" technique.

This video shows how to take apart.

There are 2 more. One shows the YLOD fix and how to, the other is how to put back together.

Last edited by keefy; 11-06-2012 at 22:56.

Master Guru
    Before i traded in my 40gb fat PS3 for the slim it started to sound like a jet engine.

I played it so much i almost killed it. That and the dust just builds up over years.

Elite Guru
    It probably needs to be vacuumed. Every electronic device pulls dust towards it even in open spaces.

But I also think that Sony adjusted something in the old Fats that make they blow harder to avoid overheating. After my first YLOD issue I put The Force Unleashed in and fount that for some reason every time I switched to the menu screen the fan cranked up to full speed instantly, yeah for a menu screen, and this was RIGHT after I got it back, so a high speed fan doesnt mean it's potentially ready to die.

Soldier 95B
    Quote Originally Posted by FonFahbre View Post
    I fixed my console twice and it's been working fine for more then a year although recently I've experienced some online issues with some games while my brothers are perfectly fine with their own PS3's. It's not the location of my room either since my Xbox 360 works fine with the same games.

Your console, like Keefy said, could develop another YLOD since the cause for one is a heating issue(Even though mine generates enough heat to warm the house, I haven't gotten another YLOD yet). If you do pull it apart, try to remember where each bolt goes where and apply good quality Termal paste while you're at it - you'll know where when you find the two chips with older paste in them.

I also don't feel like getting another PS3 anytime soon until the PS4 arrives.
    Thank you. I will be pulling it apart and doing the recommended cleaning and vacuuming as others have also recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    Well if Sony fixed it then they probbaly did it properly not just heating up the solder like I did AKA the "reflow" technique.

This video shows how to take apart.

There are 2 more. One shows the YLOD fix and how to, the other is how to put back together.

Perfect. I need the assemble and disassemble video. It can't hurt to make it nice and squeaky clean on the inside.

Quote Originally Posted by TDbank24 View Post
    Before i traded in my 40gb fat PS3 for the slim it started to sound like a jet engine.

I played it so much i almost killed it. That and the dust just builds up over years.
    Thanks TD.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha2 View Post
    It probably needs to be vacuumed. Every electronic device pulls dust towards it even in open spaces.

But I also think that Sony adjusted something in the old Fats that make they blow harder to avoid overheating. After my first YLOD issue I put The Force Unleashed in and fount that for some reason every time I switched to the menu screen the fan cranked up to full speed instantly, yeah for a menu screen, and this was RIGHT after I got it back, so a high speed fan doesnt mean it's potentially ready to die.
    Ok great. Advice taken, I will do just that.

Thread Information